Menu

Ignore this thread!

You're welcome to have ours. And our feels like -7F (though the other website said feels like 1F, which is probably more accurate - I don't know anymore). And also, our shoveling, clearing off the car, and our dental appointments. 

#generous

6in of snow or Nothing! The nothing is preferred. Nothing, and 85 degrees, on the beach, with a drink with an umbrella, a light breeze, and no whining by anyone anywhere. And reggae music, the umbrella drink in a coconut, and my house is just steps away for a bathroom, and nobody else on the beach except Rocco and Rodrigo who bring me the coconut umbrella drinks and towels. 

• Like 5

6in of snow or Nothing! The nothing is preferred. Nothing, and 85 degrees, on the beach, with a drink with an umbrella, a light breeze, and no whining by anyone anywhere. And reggae music, the umbrella drink in a coconut, and my house is just steps away for a bathroom, and nobody else on the beach except Rocco and Rodrigo who bring me the coconut umbrella drinks and towels. 

Right. Nothing is Better. But, after having had 6 inches multiple times already this winter, I think a dusting is better than 6 inches. Of course, YMMV and all that. 

• Like 3

Good morning!

It is 7 degrees. The news people on the radio are warning everyone not to take risks on treacherous roads. It should get above freezing today. I wonder if they will cancel orchestra rehearsal tonight. Regardless, I need to get to a store and buy some groceries.

How are you doing this morning, Jean?

How is Turtle Two?

Coffee!

• Like 5

That's amazing! I hope you took a picture of the scoresheet, at least. For posterity.

It was just me and DS, and he got a YAHTZEE and then I followed with one my very next turn.  But all my other rolls were horrible!  He was clearly winning and thought he had it in the bag.  Then BAZINGA!  He was actually a really good sport about it, and said it was the best game of YAHTZEE we had ever played.  I agreed.  It was really fun.  I'm glad I skipped the essay lesson and called school for the day.  :thumbup1:

ETA:  I didn't take a picture.  But all of our score sheets from time immortal are in the box with the game.  I never throw them away.  No reason.  Just lazy, I guess.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 7

12F this morning. It's a heat wave! Actually, it is supposed to be up around 60 by the weekend. I'm looking forward to the thaw. Coughing, sore throats and general malaise are still present for Turtle Two. He insisted on his routine before checking for fever. So he helped his brother with the chickens, made his tea, got his cereal and an apple and is chewing rather slowly. He sounds pretty raspy when he talks.

• Like 3

I woke up with a tension headache today. Oldest’s math at night is turning into a power struggle and I don’t like it. She is miserable and asked me to talk to him about it because she didn’t have the nerve. He takes any suggestion I make (do you want to try a different book? Here are some free online videos, should I have her watch them during the day so she’s more prepared? Do you think she’s not ready? I could put her back in BA which I can handle) as annoying buttinskying. I “forced him†to do this and nowI need to back off. Yeahh, I forced you into it by stipulating back when she was eighteen months old that if we ever homeschooled you would have to take over higher math! 🤨. It really bothers me how he keeps saying she just doesn’t care and she’s being lazy. She does have a problem with that sometimes, but I know what that looks like and it doesn’t look like her sitting at the table listening and working out problems for an hour and a half all teary. I know he’s the teacher now but if we hired a tutor who made dd cry every time I’d sure be butting in. 😤

Anyway, like the son in the Bible that says no and then goes and does the Father’s will, he then went and spoke kindly to her telling her that he wants to go back to the beginning of the book and redo some of the things that have been tripping her up and see if that helps and then see if a few weeks of that don’t make things easier.

But cranky cranky spankity spanky over here still doesn’t feel like packing him a lunch this morning.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

We decided no school today. Turtle Two isn't running fever this morning, but he's more or less crawling around and coughing. So I opted for a day of rest in which he can take however many hot baths or naps he needs to feel better. Turtle One is easy to read when he is sick. Turtle Two is a lot more stoic.

• Like 4

I woke up with a tension headache today. Oldest’s math at night is turning into a power struggle and I don’t like it. She is miserable and asked me to talk to him about it because she didn’t have the nerve. He takes any suggestion I make (do you want to try a different book? Here are some free online videos, should I have her watch them during the day so she’s more prepared? Do you think she’s not ready? I could put her back in BA which I can handle) as annoying buttinskying. I “forced him†to do this and nowI need to back off. Yeahh, I forced you into it by stipulating back when she was eighteen months old that if we ever homeschooled you would have to take over higher math! 🤨. It really bothers me how he keeps saying she just doesn’t care and she’s being lazy. She does have a problem with that sometimes, but I know what that looks like and it doesn’t look like her sitting at the table listening and working out problems for an hour and a half all teary. I know he’s the teacher now but if we hired a tutor who made dd cry every time I’d sure be butting in. 😤

Anyway, like the son in the Bible that says no and then goes and does the Father’s will, he then went and spoke kindly to her telling her that he wants to go back to the beginning of the book and redo some of the things that have been tripping her up and see if that helps and then see if a few weeks of that don’t make things easier.

But cranky cranky spankity spanky over here still doesn’t feel like packing him a lunch this morning.

I just finished SWBs Rethinking School, which reminded me that she says chronic tears are a sign that you should scale back a bit for a while; the child is being pushed beyond their capacity.  So yay for the bolded above!  

But yeah.  He should pack his own lunch.   :laugh:

• Like 5

Oh, I'd pack that lunch.

I packed the lunch. I too am like the ornery son.

And it would be an ornery one, you could bet. Like an onion and pickle sandwich. :glare:

:grouphug:, Spuds.

• Like 7

Piano teacher sick, so no piano.  We did a phone rehearsal for her instead, because recital is on Saturday.

I must now dust ten-years' worth of dust off my Hebrew, for a (thankfully casual) non-credit college thingy I'm leading tonight.  At least I found my Hebrew Bible in the crawlspace.  That is a start.

Kids will do independent work all day so I can have my own study time, which means adjusting our normal math lessons.  They will be delighted with that.

• Like 7

iTired. yawn.gif

But my short person loveslovesloves this youth group (which is SUCH a blessing after the debacle of the last one.) Imagine if you will: A youth group that chooses to present all sides in denominational controversies (they explain their position BUT they say it's okay to disagree and they delineate the essentials); that discusses teen issues in an appropriate, Biblical fashion; that is headed by a youth pastor who doesn't treat teens like hormonal savages but as thinking soon-to-be adults; that has adult leaders who love kids BUT who maintain their authority. Sound awesome? It is, my friends. It is.  So, for the sake of healthy social relationships, I shall be tired.

• Like 11

I've got the music cranked, and I'm writing. Turtle Two has borrowed his favorite chair and is engrossed in a book on golf. Turtle One is probably setting up a nautical battle on my bedspread. Sick days often turn out to be highly educational in their own way.

• Like 6

Hugs, and a high five. It's hard to do nice things with the internal simmering. Good job.

It reminds me of a story of an older couple that was going through their belongs and the husband came across a box with a doily in it. He asked his wife what it was. She said that every time she got mad at him, she would make a doily. The husband thought to himself that he must have been a pretty good husband because she only got mad at him once (one doily). He pulled out another shoe box and saw it was full of money. He asked her where she got all the money from because she had never worked. She told him, "That's all the money I earned from selling all those doilies."

When I read that story, I started baking. There were some weeks that year that I was baking almost daily...

• Like 11

Lol, well he did get sausage and cabbage instead of the last pork chop...

Hmm. Interesting choice. Around here, it would be my first choice for me. I puffy heart love anything cruciferous. But it would serve the purpose well in the lunch-packing correction. Wise, you are, my friend...

• Like 2

All y'all Lunch Packers are so kind.

Dh did his own lunch until he met me at age 40. So I figured why mess with a system that works? I never pack his lunch. :leaving:

I have no idea what DH did before we got married, but after we got married he has had leftovers every day. When I put the remains of dinner away, I put whatever is left in a little plastic container (I save the ones I get with the lunch meat, it fits perfectly in his lunch box) and put it in the fridge. Every morning he grabs the container, an apple and a yogurt and sometimes a cheese stick and he’s good. It’s minimal effort on my part and minimal effort on his part. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

I've written about 1000 words this morning. The boys have been reading, typing and now they are watching something on sailing. Turtle Two is having a tough time swallowing a pill. He's normally pretty good at it. His throat must be pretty sore. He keeps telling me it isn't, that he doesn't feel so bad. Meanwhile he's teary, coughing and running about 101.4. Silly Turtle. I gave him Nyquil and sent him to take a warm bath before a nap.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

I have no idea what DH did before we got married, but after we got married he has had leftovers every day. When I put the remains of dinner away, I put whatever is left in a little plastic container (I save the ones I get with the lunch meat, it fits perfectly in his lunch box) and put it in the fridge. Every morning he grabs the container, an apple and a yogurt and sometimes a cheese stick and he’s good. It’s minimal effort on my part and minimal effort on his part.

This is me!  Leftovers and maybe a cheese stick or yogurt, piece of fruit.  So awesome to not have to think in the morning before COFFEE!!!!!! has kicked in.

• Like 5

All y'all Lunch Packers are so kind.

Dh did his own lunch until he met me at age 40. So I figured why mess with a system that works? I never pack his lunch. :leaving:

I would inevitably pack the lunch wrong, so I only pack lunches for family picnics or children under the age of 10 (if necessary).

• Like 2