Menu

Ignore this thread!

I survived AFSA!

A Survival Booyah!

ITT presents: Math'n'Grammarville

*All Rights Reserved*

Except for those to the tune and original lyrics, which are obviously held by Jimmy Buffet or whatever company it is that owns him, LOL.

Livin' on twaddle,

I was happy to dawdle,

Until Mom told me my work must be done.

Now here it is sunset,

And she won't let me drop it,

I'll be here all night and I never had fun!

Refrain:

Wasting away again in MathĂ¢â‚¬ËœnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Grammarville

Ă¢â‚¬Â¨Hoping that there's a whole hour of art

Ă¢â‚¬Â¨Some people say that there is knowledge to gain

Ă¢â‚¬Â¨But I know, of it I want no part

It sure isn't pleasin',

All this logic and reason,

Gettin' shoved down my throat with these dusty old books!

When I could be skatin'

Building forts and be playin'

So I'm giving my teacher these disgusted looks!

Refrain:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¨Hoping that there's a whole hour of art

Ă¢â‚¬Â¨Some people say that there is knowledge to gain

Ă¢â‚¬Â¨But you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t force me to take part!

I've stalled and I've grumbled

Dropped my pencil and fumbled

Lost my place and my temper and spilled all the glue,

But Mom isn't buying,

All these tricks that I'm trying,

And I'll just have it all tomorrow to do.

Refrain:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¨Hoping that there's a whole hour of artĂ¢â‚¬Â¨

Some people say that there is knowledge to gain

Ă¢â‚¬Â¨And so I must play the part

Wasted away again in overplanningville

Lookin for my lost teacher's manual

Some people claim

That it's the Hive that's to blame

But I know (ba ba bum bum bum)

It's my own dang fault.

Wasting away again in Math'n'Grammarville

Looking for those lost hours of sleep

Some people say that there's no way it'll work

And I say, bleeep-ity-bleep-bleep-bleep.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

I'm trying out some techniques from my watercolor book on a still life of some pears that I sketched. I've already got a tutorial sketch of one of my orchids that is currently blooming sitting in the sketch book for tomorrow.

Paint-Po

ETA: I mixed a color from the book as a substitute for a color I don't have but want to get. Very, very pretty when it dries. It separated slightly resulting in a delicate gold overlaying a soft green. For those who have watercolors and want to try, it is equal parts yellow ochre and sap green.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

I think I might buy Elementary Greek for myself and decide if I want it for John. I'm not really getting Greek done and I want to be very far ahead of him. When he finishes his book I'll probably get him Song School Greek to eat up some time as a 4th grade Greek Grammar is probably not appropriate.

• Like 3

So, I am in a quandary. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m homeschooling DS2 next year for 9th grade. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s never been my plan to homeschool high school,but here we are. He is no where close to pre-algebra and he struggles in math so much that I need to keep my thumb on him. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s be one who, if put in school, would find a way to cheat his way through and end up knowing nothing. Or heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d go On Academic strike like he did when we tried CAVA and weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d really be up a creek. Anyhow, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be home next year. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying to decide whether to just keep free-wheeling it like iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve Been doing with him. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s working and I really Like what weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re using and how weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re doing it. On the other hand, there is a homeschool charter that is popular around here. Like all California charters, you cannot use religious materials, but they make available a lot of extra-curricular activities. Now, I use all religious materials. The only one iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Really married to is CLE for math. The rest I like, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not a big deal. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m just comfortable using them and donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really want to change. I just like the idea of having $ available for extra-curricular things for this kid. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not a decision I need to make now, but iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Kind of starting to turn things over in my mind regarding next year and I hate being unsettled as to the path iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Going to take.

• Like 4

So, I am in a quandary. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m homeschooling DS2 next year for 9th grade. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s never been my plan to homeschool high school,but here we are. He is no where close to pre-algebra and he struggles in math so much that I need to keep my thumb on him. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s be one who, if put in school, would find a way to cheat his way through and end up knowing nothing. Or heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d go On Academic strike like he did when we tried CAVA and weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d really be up a creek. Anyhow, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be home next year. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying to decide whether to just keep free-wheeling it like iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve Been doing with him. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s working and I really Like what weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re using and how weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re doing it. On the other hand, there is a homeschool charter that is popular around here. Like all California charters, you cannot use religious materials, but they make available a lot of extra-curricular activities. Now, I use all religious materials. The only one iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Really married to is CLE for math. The rest I like, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not a big deal. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m just comfortable using them and donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really want to change. I just like the idea of having $ available for extra-curricular things for this kid. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not a decision I need to make now, but iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Kind of starting to turn things over in my mind regarding next year and I hate being unsettled as to the path iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Going to take.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Like 7

Is it that you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t use them at all or they just wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t pay for them? Ours here will let you use them but they wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t reimburse you for whatever is religious. So if you buy a secular math book and a religious affiliated history theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll only reimburse you for the math, but they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t kick you out for using your own history.

They only reimburse me for secular but.... with high school you have the whole credit thing. I need to find Out if they will give me high school credit if we used A Beka history (which he really likes) or if I have to use approved history curriculum.
  • Like 1

High school is scary.

Krissi, I wish I had an answer for you, but I have no idea. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m in denial that high school is even still a thing. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve still got 3 years to get over that.

yes. It is scary. And TBH, the only reason I am even considering this charter is for $ for extracurricular activities. Our piano teacher is excellent (and cheap) but she's Also 85 years old and just had minor back surgery. I think sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be good to go in a week or so, but still.... and this charter pays for music lessons at R School of Music. So, iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Thinking, if anything happens to her I need a back up plan, and R School of Music is expensive and I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t afford lessons there for 4 kids.

yes. It is scary. And TBH, the only reason I am even considering this charter is for $ for extracurricular activities. Our piano teacher is excellent (and cheap) but she's Also 85 years old and just had minor back surgery. I think sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be good to go in a week or so, but still.... and this charter pays for music lessons at R School of Music. So, iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Thinking, if anything happens to her I need a back up plan, and R School of Music is expensive and I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t afford lessons there for 4 kids.

So you use religious materials, and it really hasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t made him love school and dive right in, right? Except maybe CLE is working somewhat this year. So what have you to lose really by going secular and getting the money that would be helpful? YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re still homeschooling, and youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re still a religious family. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not like youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re turning your back on religion by using secular homeschooling materials. He might end up liking them, even. You can have discussions about any material that you disagree with - just like secular homeschoolers who use religious materials do with their kids. YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re still the one in control.

I think maybe?? I could be wrong?? YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re hung up on the whole IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve always homeschooled with religious based materials and I feel like I would be contradicting my stated philosophy thing.

Do you just need someone to tell you itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be okay?

It will be. I promise you. No one is trying to convert you.

ETA: and no one will judge you. Because if they did I know someone with a bazooka...

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 6

So you use religious materials, and it really hasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t made him love school and dive right in, right? Except maybe CLE is working somewhat this year. So what have you to lose really by going secular and getting the money that would be helpful? YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re still homeschooling, and youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re still a religious family. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not like youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re turning your back on religion by using secular homeschooling materials. He might end up liking them, even. You can have discussions about any material that you disagree with - just like secular homeschoolers who use religious materials do with their kids. YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re still the one in control.

I think maybe?? I could be wrong?? YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re hung up on the whole IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve always homeschooled with religious based materials and I feel like I would be contradicting my stated philosophy thing.

Do you just need someone to tell you itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be okay?

It will be. I promise you. No one is trying to convert you.

ETA: and no one will judge you. Because if they did I know someone with a bazooka...

No, iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Not worried about secular materials. The rub is....Part of me is Ă¢â‚¬Å“if it ainĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t broke donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t fix itĂ¢â‚¬ and part of me is...just changing curriculum in general. I know itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s kind of lame, but....iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve Been through so much trying to educate this child and we are now on a pretty good path and so itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s like, Ă¢â‚¬Å“iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m changing Things again?Ă¢â‚¬ But, yes, he does like music and I think he might benefit by more musical education. R School of Music has all kinds of instruments, drums, vocal, etc. and the charter pays for horseback riding lessons and gymnastics and all kinds of things.
  • Like 1

Krissi, I would just keep using what's working.

I know all of the other things look great, but horseback riding, etc., isn't necessary.

I know you have struggled so much with him and I'm glad that you found some things that are working.  I would just keep going with it.

• Like 2

No, iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Not worried about secular materials. The rub is....Part of me is Ă¢â‚¬Å“if it ainĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t broke donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t fix itĂ¢â‚¬ and part of me is...just changing curriculum in general. I know itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s kind of lame, but....iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve Been through so much trying to educate this child and we are now on a pretty good path and so itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s like, Ă¢â‚¬Å“iĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m changing Things again?Ă¢â‚¬ But, yes, he does like music and I think he might benefit by more musical education. R School of Music has all kinds of instruments, drums, vocal, etc. and the charter pays for horseback riding lessons and gymnastics and all kinds of things.

So it would be for all your kids? Not just the high-school child, right?

ETA: I could see wanting the extra dollars if everyone was going to get to use it. If not, I'd be solidly behind staying with what is working and let the extracurricular activities take care of themselves. 

Edited by Critterfixer

But I kind of get the impression from your posts that it IS broke. Just a little less broke than before.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m so confused. :svengo:

Ah. Nonetheless... I always feel the need to educate people on the fact that Seattle is not a big huge city. They'll be disappointed enough when they realize they are also in the northernmost city in the continental US so it's not just cloudy, it's also dark.

Alaska is considered continental, just not contiguous...(I'm a nitpicker Lol)

• Like 1

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I agree!

You are back to materials that work better for him (after trying the other) and it sounds like a better fit.  I wouldn't change it. 

Also, one of the posts I read on the chat board thread sounded like Christian materials can't be submitted as evidence of completed work, even if the materials were not purchased with charter funds.  Plus, did I also read, that the religious materials can't be used during "school hours?"  I think I would avoid that option until I was more desperately in need - i.e. at the point of no lessons without it, and even then I would look again for another way.  

• Like 2

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m in denial that high school is even still a thing. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve still got 3 years to get over that.

High school is NOT a thing anymore. Nope, nope, nopety nope. I'm not even sure 6th grade is still a thing. I'm thinking of instituting a minimum height requirement for 6th grade or something - if the kid's not 5' tall, he needs to repeat 5th grade until he passes the height requirement. #totallyrandomacademicstandardsthatmightgivemeafewmoreyears

It's definitely weird how they keep getting older so quickly. I mean, I know that as you get older, time seems to go by faster, but it just seems to be going by faster than I'd expected it to. Also, he's been soooo spacey lately (as in, the last few months)... it's like how he was as a preschooler or w/e. Which makes his maturity seem to go backwards, rather than forwards (or, at least not forwards), so, how is it that 6th grade is around the corner (well, not quite yet... I think the 2nd quarterly is due tomorrow, so, only halfway through 5th).  :willy_nilly:

• Like 3

Confession: I am starting to seriously freak out about the whole college prep/admission thing. I am terrified and feel completely unprepared and unqualified. I'm the only person in my family who ever went to college, DH didn't, I only went because I applied with a friend. I have no freaking idea what I am doing and am in no way qualified to advise my child.

I think I'm hyperventilating.

Please remind me that I will survive this, and that I am at least as good as the goofballs at our local public school who actually know less than I do. For reals.

And we are here for you.

• Like 4

Peter Mayle died. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s an author. The first book I read by him was Ă¢â‚¬Å“A Year in Provence.Ă¢â‚¬ ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s about him and his wife and their first year as British transplants in Provence. It was one of the most delightful books I have ever read.

Peter Mayle died. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s an author. The first book I read by him was Ă¢â‚¬Å“A Year in Provence.Ă¢â‚¬ ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s about him and his wife and their first year as British transplants in Provence. It was one of the most delightful books I have ever read.

Off to check the library...

Now on hold.

Edited by ikslo

For an entering 9th grader, I'd take his opinion in consideration - what does he think of the pros and cons, Krissi?

well, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hard to read and itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hard to know what he wants. And even harder to ask him what he wants, because he doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m getting the impression that heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s enjoyIng his freedom. He babysits at church on Tuesday mornings for the womenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Bible study. Today he got his work done quIckly and worked on a fire pit in the backyard all day. I decided last fall, after the CAVA debacle, to just throw all expectations out the window with this kid and do Off-road Homeschooling... aka donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t worry about anything, just teach him where heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s at and aim for the High School Diploma. But, while that seems great in theory, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s harder in practice. I guess I just want to do the right thing and sometimes itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hard to know what that is.
  • Like 9

Hugs to everyone! Dd16 enjoyed yesterday's jokes.

Dad had a strange spell today that has me worried. It looked to me like a petite mal seizure. Dad has said he's been having these since the brain injury 25 years ago, but this is the first time I have encountered him having one. His memory isn't always accurate now, so I'm not sure if he really has been having them all these years.

It could be dehydration, as Dad thinks, that triggered it. It could be stress and worry over closing down his life here. Yesterday we only got lunch done because he wore himself out. Today's work was cut short by the episode -- I took him home to rest. When I checked on him later he was coherent, but still clearly very tired.

Tomorrow I hope to find out more. Dad has a doctor appointment Wednesday, after his doctor returns from a trip. I'll do what I can to keep from wearing Dad out, but we really need to start making some progress soon on getting him moved.

I'll try to check in tomorrow evening if I can.

Hugs to all of you!

• Like 6

ETA:  Booyah!!

EDpo -- WARNING!

One thing that really helped me to prepare for the high school years was creating a course catalog.  It also helps to include the textbooks I plan to use for each course.  While I dictate a lot of the curriculum, the kids do have a choice in some of the courses that they take.  It helps for them to see what I am willing/able to teach them.

It also helps to tentatively plan all four years before 9th grade begins.  It gives you an idea of where you're going to end up.

I don't know if it will help, but here is part of my course catalog to give an example.

Course Catalog

9th-12th Grades

English

American Literature Survey with Composition Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

British Literature Survey with Composition Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

World Literature Survey with Composition Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

ChildrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s LiteratureĂ¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Fairy Tales, Folk Tales, Fables, & Myths Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Mystery & Suspense Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Persuasive Writing Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Introduction to Shakespeare Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Introduction to Tolkien Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Introduction to the Short Story Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Introduction to Speech and Drama Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1/2 credit

Introduction to Dickens Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Literature of the Bible Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Introduction to Ancient Greek LiteratureĂ¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Creative Writing Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ -1 credit

History

20th Century America Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Early American History -- 1 credit            

World History Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Ancient Civilizations Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

History of War/Military History Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Genealogy and Family History with Geography Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½-1 credit

U.S. Government Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Economics Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

State History Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

The Civil War Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

World War II Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Geography Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Political Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Math

Algebra I with Integrated Geometry Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Algebra II with Integrated Geometry Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Geometry with Advanced Algebra Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Trigonometry and Pre-calculus Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Consumer Math Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Business Math Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Science

Physical Science with Lab Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit         

Biology with Lab Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Chemistry with Lab Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Physics Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Anatomy and Physiology Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Creation Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Marine Biology Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Computer

Keyboarding I Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Keyboarding II Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Microsoft Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Elements of Graphic Design Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Technology of the Theater Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Audio Engineering Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Physical Education

Team Sports Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â¼- 1 credit

Individual Sports Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â¼- 1 credit

Basic Physical Fitness Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â¼ -- 1 credit

Music

Music Appreciation Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Concert Band Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â¼ -1 credit

Orchestra Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â¼ - 1 credit

Choir Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â¼ credit

Music Theory Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â¼ credit

Foreign Language

Introduction to Spanish Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Spanish I Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Spanish II Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Spanish III Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Introduction to American Sign Language Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

American Sign Language I Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

American Sign Language II Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

American Sign Language III Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Introduction to French Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

French I Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Introduction to Chinese Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Art

Art Appreciation Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Watercolor I Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit - 1 credit

Computer Drawing Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Photography Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Theatre Appreciation Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Introduction to Interior Design Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Introduction to Fashion Design Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Pottery Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Painting I Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Drawing I Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Crafts  Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Home Economics and Life Skills

Basic Cooking with Lab Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Advanced Cooking with Lab Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Nutrition with Lab Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Basic Home Maintenance Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ -1 credit

Child Care Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

DriverĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Education Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

First Aid Ă¢â‚¬â€œÂ  Ă‚Â½ credit

Early Childhood Education Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Health Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Bible

Bible I Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit         

Bible II Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Bible III Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Bible IV Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

Religion Survey Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

History of the Bible Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

The Life of Christ Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Edited by Junie
  • Like 8

You have daily migraines... ;)

True dat.  :(

They started almost exactly two months after I started homeschooling dd7.  Maybe 5 is the homeschool limit.  Or at least my limit.   :huh: Four months until ds17 graduates!!   :hurray:

• Like 4

ETA:  Booyah!!

EDpo -- WARNING!

One thing that really helped me to prepare for the high school years was creating a course catalog.  It also helps to include the textbooks I plan to use for each course.  While I dictate a lot of the curriculum, the kids do have a choice in some of the courses that they take.  It helps for them to see what I am willing/able to teach them.

It also helps to tentatively plan all four years before 9th grade begins.  It gives you an idea of where you're going to end up.

I don't know if it will help, but here is part of my course catalog to give an example.

Course Catalog

9th-12th Grades

English

American Literature Survey with Composition Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

British Literature Survey with Composition Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

World Literature Survey with Composition Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 credit

ChildrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s LiteratureĂ¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Fairy Tales, Folk Tales, Fables, & Myths Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Mystery & Suspense Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Persuasive Writing Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Introduction to Shakespeare Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit

Introduction to Tolkien Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă‚Â½ credit