Menu

Ignore this thread!

I want to read Anna Karenina. I'm intimidated.

I listened to The Three Musketeers on audio last summer. It was so fun!

Don’t be intimidated. It’s not hard. I think it’s an easier one of the Russians. It’s a little long, but not compared to Moby Dick, War and Peace, Les Mis, or probably even Tale of Two Cities. I’d read 6 of any of those before torturing myself with the much shorter and American Walden again! Or you could just go read Ready Player One and tell me how I should stop what I’m doing and read it first.

• Like 4

I’m reading Anna Karenina now. I would have hated it as a teen, but love it now. I think schools are misguided to push some of the classics on young adults/teens. I would have sympathized w/Kitty at 18, but now I understand Anna- which is probably the way it was intended to be read.

Baby woke up after the store. Of course he did. ðŸ™ðŸ˜´

I believe that is the book Theodore Roosevelt read as he was running all over South Dakota chasing a couple of guys who stole his boat.
  • Like 5

Well, the query letters are up from that contest I entered a few weeks ago. Should be able to do some analysis and study today and see what passes the agent's muster and what doesn't.

I was deeply disheartened to see the terrifically low word counts for everything. The longest count was 118K for a science fiction submission. One high fantasy got in at just over 100K. Everything else was pretty low. (Under 100K)

So they want novellas and short stories?

• Like 1

I’m reading Anna Karenina now. I would have hated it as a teen, but love it now. I think schools are misguided to push some of the classics on young adults/teens. I would have sympathized w/Kitty at 18, but now I understand Anna- which is probably the way it was intended to be read.

Baby woke up after the store. Of course he did. ðŸ™ðŸ˜´

I read AK for the first time a couple years ago. 

I agree that many "classics" are not worth reading until older.  

So they want novellas and short stories?

It appears that way. But... these are writers who made that judgement call, not agents. I'm curious to see what the agent response to these entries will be. 

There is something to be said for tight writing, limited subplots and fast-moving plots. But there's more to be said for well-developed characters, intensely personal and complicated subplots and plots with a river's momentum--fast, moderate, slow, and full of the kind of scenery that blows your mind.

Am I biased?

Yeah...

• Like 6

Hugs. Babies are hard. It's a good thing they're so squishy snuggly cute!

I want to read Anna Karenina. I'm intimidated.

I listened to The Three Musketeers on audio last summer. It was so fun!

If I can read it, anyone can.  Not because my reading skills are poor, but because I just don't enjoy a lot of fiction.  

• Like 3

It appears that way. But... these are writers who made that judgement call, not agents. I'm curious to see what the agent response to these entries will be. 

There is something to be said for tight writing, limited subplots and fast-moving plots. But there's more to be said for well-developed characters, intensely personal and complicated subplots and plots with a river's momentum--fast, moderate, slow, and full of the kind of scenery that blows your mind.

Am I biased?

Yeah...

I share your bias.  I like light, fluffy reading at times, but I revel in a thorough submersion in a good book world.

• Like 2

Am I biased?

Yeah...

Can you send a Reader's Digest abridged version?  Acknowledge that it is abridged.  If you win, you can publish the real version. 

• Like 3

Can you send a Reader's Digest abridged version?  Acknowledge that it is abridged.  If you win, you can publish the real version. 

Oh, I already lost that contest. But that's not the contest that matters. What matters is making that query so hot that an agent requests a partial. If they like the partial, they might ask for the whole thing. 

That's one of my goals for November. Get the whole thing down to 118K (can be done) and write the kind of query letter that makes agents want to read the book.

ETA: It's a writer's marketing Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

Well, I'm all Jean.  ;)  But Jean is a lot more English and German than I knew. 

By bloodline my Dad is 3/4 German and 1/4 Irish, though there's quite a lot of the Irish showing through in the family culture.  I think the German part of the family got loud trying to be heard over the Irish part.

I am curious, though.  I just can't quite justify the cost of having a DNA test run yet just for my curiosity.  I guess I'll have to wait a few more years.

• Like 1

By bloodline my Dad is 3/4 German and 1/4 Irish, though there's quite a lot of the Irish showing through in the family culture.  I think the German part of the family got loud trying to be heard over the Irish part.

I am curious, though.  I just can't quite justify the cost of having a DNA test run yet just for my curiosity.  I guess I'll have to wait a few more years.

None of us, including my brother, have had dna tests.  He's doing his math based on our geneology charts.  I have no idea how accurate he is.  My understanding is that dna tests aren't 100% accurate anyway - just because of how dna works with us getting different alleles from different parents.  (See, I did learn something from dd's biology!) 

• Like 4

I'm all the things. :coolgleamA: If stories are true I'm even African and Jewish. My family has a lot of stories though, so...

Smoothie time. And some mama school. AF is here. I'm not dying of death yet. A month of intermittent fasting means a lighter period, right? I'm sure that's a thing. If not I'm writing a letter.

• Like 9

None of us, including my brother, have had dna tests.  He's doing his math based on our geneology charts.  I have no idea how accurate he is.  My understanding is that dna tests aren't 100% accurate anyway - just because of how dna works with us getting different alleles from different parents.  (See, I did learn something from dd's biology!) 

I see!  Well, if your genealogy charts are good his calculations are probably good.  Unless you have some hidden bloodlines, such as unacknowledged ancestors.

I still like thinking of you as the "white Japanese lady" you mentioned someone called you.   :laugh:

• Like 3

With luck both girls now have full outfits for their cousin's wedding in a week and a half.  I just have to get myself some decent shoes now.  All three of us got our hair cut today, and I can cut DH's hair this evening.  We have made progress.  Huzzah!

This progress brought to us by ignoring the Dad project for an afternoon to attend to a more time-pressing deadline.  I really don't want to resume my new regularly scheduled project right now.  I might have to have hot cider and some canopy swing time.

• Like 2

Call it a homeschooling expense.

ETA: of course that would require a discussion with the kids about DNA, and possibly about genealogy, and maybe about how historical records don't always match up with other ways to verify history, or w/e. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 4

Wishes and Dishes

I wonder if the lauded poet

Had a lawn and had to mow it,

If he composed his better sonnets,

Dodging nests of ground hornets.

Or if a poet, with muse inclined,

Thought up her stuff hanging wash on the line,

Or if she came up with her better versery,

Rocking a baby to sleep in the nursery.

It seems to me that words come easy,

When days aren't always bright and breezy,

When inspiration is what one wishes,

It’s not a bad thing to do the dishes.

Random Musings

That is not the poem I submitted, but just random musings for the day. :D

• Like 7

Carrot muffins, being a vegetable, make a suitable side dish at dinner (except those being set aside for breakfast), naturally--but what if they were the main course?

Asking for a friend.

Because the main course could be pizza and the muffins could be a side. We My friend's family wouldn't mind, I think.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 8

Dh is now planning to leave on Wednesday morning.  According to the Weather Service, the weather is about to switch to a winter pattern, with northern valleys (read: me) struggling to rise above daytime freezing temperatures next week. Oh, and it's looking like our first storm is due to hit on Thursday, bringing 5-8 inches of snow into Friday.  You know, right after DH leaves. :mellow:

• Like 5

Dh is now planning to leave on Wednesday morning.  According to the Weather Service, the weather is about to switch to a winter pattern, with northern valleys (read: me) struggling to rise above daytime freezing temperatures next week. Oh, and it's looking like our first storm is due to hit on Thursday, bringing 5-8 inches of snow into Friday.  You know, right after DH leaves. :mellow:

I know that it's tough on you, but it might be better if he does leave before snow flies.  That way he can make it to the airport easier. 

• Like 4

Wonderful. :glare: That's for you.

Here we would probably be like  :scared:  :svengo:  :hurray:  and :auto:  before everybody else gets the last of the bread and milk.

• Like 4

Absolutely!

That'd be me. :mellow:

(Note to Critter:  Does poetry pay?  Because if not, could you we please focus on earning the down payment for my escape our island?)

Not so much. But it could possibly pay for some champagne to drink on that island, so...

• Like 3

I know that it's tough on you, but it might be better if he does leave before snow flies.  That way he can make it to the airport easier. 

You're absolutely right, Jean.  And the truth is that I've been hounding him since Friday to get it moving.  He's driving, not flying, so it's VERY important that he get south before the storm hits.

• Like 3

Well, is there at least staff to rub your shoulders and your feet when you're done? Ideally while supplying you with chocolate and a beverage of choice and something wonderful to read or watch?

If there isn't, there should be.

Word. I like the way you think, sister.

Not so much. But it could possibly pay for some champagne to drink on that island, so...

That works!

Yesterday on our way home from church we noticed the neighbors had a llama in their front yard so we circled the block to look at it again bc it was a beautiful caramel colored one with a poodle haircut. Wonder if it’s here to stay or just visiting.

My neighborhood, folks.

There is a large alpaca farm on the way to Nana's house.  I sosososososo want one, just so's I can go out and pat it's fluffy, puffy widdle head! :001_wub:

• Like 4

In addition to composing poems today, I did the grunt work on my sequel when it come to conflict (how's life or death work for ya?) and also worked hard on that query letter set to head out in a few weeks to agents on my list.

So I ain't been slacking. :laugh:

• Like 5

Stock up and hunker down!   :grouphug:

Is there staff for that?

Sven makes the most luscious hot chocolate and builds a very nice fire.  He and Helga both are talented massage therapists.  They have been training Hector, too, because Hector is always up to learning something new.  Hector has been practicing with his snow shoes and Saint Bernard buddy.

• Like 5

I love the poetry, Critter!!

I'm having my COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ And ITT. Then I will pull out my Teddy Roosevelt book, read a bit, do some guitar and then some laundry.

JJM, in a way I'm kind of envious that you're getting a storm. Of course, I'm not going to be in it and will be envious from several state away where the temperature is still 80 degrees.

Bookie (I hope you don't mind I've shortened your name, we have a tendency to shorten and/or mangle usernames around here, consider it a complement), you have carte blanc to hire any staff for the ITT Island you feel necessary. Rocco and his brother Rodrigo were the original staff members. They're our cabana boys who wear spiffy polo shirts and Bermuda shorts and bring us cool drinks with umbrellas in them.

• Like 7