Menu

Ignore this thread!

Is it my imagination, or are the Astros only winning the World Series games away from home?  I know they didn't win everything away from home, but it seems the home games they keep losing.  Am I mistaken?

They did better at home against the Yankees. Last night was the first home game lost in the postseason. (DH says)

• Like 1

This has been the best SIL visit so far. Usually she complains that we don't take her out for every meal saying "this is disgusting" several times during each meal and she hasn't done that once. However her phone hasn't left her hands (I'm not using a phrase I am completely serious) and she's been really rude to the kids asking them to leave her alone or refusing to acknowledge them because phone.

John's been stuck on Disney World for a few months and this conversation happened yesterday.

John: Did you know I want to go to Disney World?

SIL: Yeah, my mom and I are going with you.

John: Really?

SIL: Yeah, we're going to ride in your van with you and stay in your hotel and everything.

:blink:

Matt wants to spend a week in Florida (non Disney trip) because he's always loved it there and this conversation was today:

SIL: When are you guys going to Florida?

Me: We don't know yet, why?

SIL: Mom wants to know if it's this summer or not.

Me: We won't have money for a vacation with the move.

SIL: She just has the whole thing planned out is all.

Me: What to you mean?

SIL: Well, Matthew wants to go to the Keys but we aren't doing that. I don't know what we're doing.

Matt can handle this, but seriously? Are we seriously doing this? Because we can not move back.

:glare:  :glare:  :glare:

No, it won't be this summer.  As already stated, the move will be taking up our spare time and resources.  In some future year when we can afford the time and funds to go to Florida we can stop at DisneyWorld for a day, but we will be going to the Keys.  Matt works hard to support this family, and if we are going that far on a trip we might as well go someplace he wants to visit.  He deserves it.  You are free to branch off in a different direction if you don't want to visit the Keys with us.

I'm afraid we have to start instituting a no phones or electronics rule at the table for mealtimes.  The only acceptable exception is Matt's phone if it is work-related.  We must set a good example for the kids, and the food tastes better when eaten without distraction while it is still the proper temperature.  The kids are also starting to help with meal prep, and we want to pay appreciative attention to their efforts.

I take it your SIL doesn't have any kids?

• Like 2

But I'm always rich in the future. It helps.

He's asked for a copy of Just So Stories for his birthday so I thought I'd do one of these, too. Do you not like them for kids? Ambleside Online has it for K.

I have ALWAYS loved Just So Stories!  Especially The Elephant's Child (me), and How the Camel Got Its Hump (DH).  These were the two that Grandpa had wonderfully illustrated single-story volumes of at his house.  I have them now.  

:glare: :glare: :glare:

No, it won't be this summer. As already stated, the move will be taking up our spare time and resources. In some future year when we can afford the time and funds to go to Florida we can stop at DisneyWorld for a day, but we will be going to the Keys. Matt works hard to support this family, and if we are going that far on a trip we might as well go someplace he wants to visit. He deserves it. You are free to branch off in a different direction if you don't want to visit the Keys with us.

I'm afraid we have to start instituting a no phones or electronics rule at the table for mealtimes. The only acceptable exception is Matt's phone if it is work-related. We must set a good example for the kids, and the food tastes better when eaten without distraction while it is still the proper temperature. The kids are also starting to help with meal prep, and we want to pay appreciative attention to their efforts.

These discussions don't work. They turn into massive fights and her essentially telling us that we don't have the right to tell her no and she will come anyway. We have not vacationed since the kids were little but after the first time when she said she will absolutely be coming with us and it's not up for discussion we decided to not give the details and she never brought it up after we returned. We've been on 3 trips (all without her) but apparently it's going to be a thing again.

We had her put her phone down on a visit and she says she won't come if she has to do it again.

She doesn't have kids. She's a hot mess by no fault of her own but she's not doing anything about it.

But I'm always rich in the future. It helps.

He's asked for a copy of Just So Stories for his birthday so I thought I'd do one of these, too. Do you not like them for kids? Ambleside Online has it for K.

Get a copy that has the full stories verbatim, and has enjoyable illustrations.  Some copies have the original illustrations that Kipling drew.  These are great, but there are also copies out there that have color illustrations that are just as engaging.

Then read the stories aloud.  They shine the best when read aloud, O Best Beloved.  (pronounced Be-lov-ed)

Maybe my kids are weird, but they always like checking picture books out from the librsry better than reading what we own. We’ve checked out fairy tales on almost a weekly basis for years but they almost never open the copy of Grimms that I painstakingly chose for them.

It's because the Grimm book is there whenever, they don't have to worry about not getting ahold of it.  The library books might not always be available, so they get them while they can.

• Like 2

Baseball mostly.

According to the documentary I'm watching, men who followed baseball were once called cranks, and the women who followed it were called cranklets.

The boys thought this was hilarious.

I like this!

I have ALWAYS loved Just So Stories!  Especially The Elephant's Child (me), and How the Camel Got Its Hump (DH).  These were the two that Grandpa had wonderfully illustrated single-story volumes of at his house.  I have them now.

Can you link me one you approve of? I have one at RR but I don't think it has pictures. :( There are so many and a lot of them are dumbed down but don't say it. :glare:

:grouphug:   I hope your head feels better today.  Weather-related from the recent fronts?  Possibly allergens that blew in?  We are having some allergy symptoms here from stuff the fronts blew in.

So far, it's better. I've had a morning cup of tea, and I'll have second tea and breakfast in a bit. Honestly, I think it's tension in my neck from typing so much this past month. I really need to get out on a lake with a paddle and work out the knots. I've got that scheduled for late this week.

Heading back to the scene setting for my story and just soaking in the atmosphere some more. :001_smile:

• Like 1

These discussions don't work. They turn into massive fights and her essentially telling us that we don't have the right to tell her no and she will come anyway. We have not vacationed since the kids were little but after the first time when she said she will absolutely be coming with us and it's not up for discussion we decided to not give the details and she never brought it up after we returned. We've been on 3 trips (all without her) but apparently it's going to be a thing again.

We had her put her phone down on a visit and she says she won't come if she has to do it again.

She doesn't have kids. She's a hot mess by no fault of her own but she's not doing anything about it.

Problem solved.

But seriously, :grouphug: .

• Like 5

I've sent out DH for groceries and sent to boys to walk the dogs. The fog is frozen this morning. Every red leaf on the maple tree looks sugar-frosted.

We had frost this morning.  Not very thick, but coating everything.  The shed was sparkling, looking like we used sparkle paint on it.  The plumerias were covered, so they should be doing fine.  Need to probably keep them covered tonight, too, and then it should warm up enough here for several days for us to uncover them.

They did better at home against the Yankees. Last night was the first home game lost in the postseason. (DH says)

I must be confused, then.  I thought they lost more than just one.  Maybe I'm thinking of pre-postseason games?  I don't follow baseball enough to be aware; I get my baseball info from the weekday morning news.

Get a copy that has the full stories verbatim, and has enjoyable illustrations.  Some copies have the original illustrations that Kipling drew.  These are great, but there are also copies out there that have color illustrations that are just as engaging.

Then read the stories aloud.  They shine the best when read aloud, O Best Beloved.  (pronounced Be-lov-ed)

We have https://mobile.audible.com/pd/Kids/Just-So-Stories-Audiobook/B01E7I1XH4 and he's read it on my kindle like 40 times. He has a few memorized so he can tell them "just so". He doesn't even need the dang book but he's been wanting one for like evs.

Problem solved.

But seriously, :grouphug: .

IknowIknowIknowIknowIknow. Really, I know.

Baseball mostly.

According to the documentary I'm watching, men who followed baseball were once called cranks, and the women who followed it were called cranklets.

The boys thought this was hilarious.

That is funny.  Also rather apt, at least with my grandparents' generation.

Ah, sounds like you already have a workable plan for trips!  Simply don't tell her until after the trip is over.  This is a good plan.

If she doesn't want to come again (for reason of putting down the phone or any other reason) that is entirely her choice!  

Just decide what you and your family want and need, stick to your guns, and call in the ENB if you need back-up.  I take a perverse pleasure now in saying No to people who insist I don't have the right to do so.

How would it be to call the move an immersive interaction trip?  Full participation in all activities, guaranteed to keep you busy and active!  Authentic meals eaten on an authentic schedule!  Book your Penske/U-haul/Rider adventure today!  Because of the special nature of this trip all who sign up will be assigned their role for the duration.  It's the Dude Ranch of the Road!

• Like 2

I like this!

Can you link me one you approve of? I have one at RR but I don't think it has pictures. :( There are so many and a lot of them are dumbed down but don't say it. :glare:

https://www.amazon.com/Just-So-Stories-Rudyard-Kipling/dp/0681403144/ref=reader_auth_dp

If you can, get a NEW copy of the hardcover of this edition.  It includes Kipling's pen and ink drawings, but also has beautiful full-color plates done by Joseph M. Gleeson.  I don't know if the paperback copies have these color plates, and you want the larger size in order to really enjoy the detail of the plates, anyway.  It really is a nice edition.  The cover of the hardcover book looks different from the soft-cover ones.

DH-"Did you intend these chocolate bars to be for Halloween?"

Me-"Yeah, we aren't going anywhere."

DH-"But they are for Halloween."

Me-"Yeah."

DH-"What if we get trick-or-treaters?"

Me- :001_huh: "We won't have any."

DH-"But what if we do?"

Me-"I'll give them a chocolate bar."

We have never, ever, ever had a trick-or-treater here. It's a driveway longer than one tenth of a mile, in the dark, through spider-infested woodlands populated by screech owls to get to my deep, dark, front porch with additional spiders waiting.

Now you watch--this year somebody will brave the gauntlet.

• Like 4

We have https://mobile.audible.com/pd/Kids/Just-So-Stories-Audiobook/B01E7I1XH4 and he's read it on my kindle like 40 times. He has a few memorized so he can tell them "just so". He doesn't even need the dang book but he's been wanting one for like evs.

IknowIknowIknowIknowIknow. Really, I know.

Unabridged audio is great!  But yes, if the boy likes the stories so much get him a good copy of the book, too.  It just amplifies the enjoyment and experience, especially with good illustrations.

Me-"Yeah."

DH-"But what if we do?"

We have never, ever, ever had a trick-or-treater here. It's a driveway longer than one tenth of a mile, in the dark, through spider-infested woodlands populated by screech owls to get to my deep, dark, front porch with additional spiders waiting.

Then they will deserve that chocolate bar, won't they?   :laugh:

• Like 1

Me-"Yeah."

Me- :001_huh: "We won't have any."

DH-"But what if we do?"

Well now, that sounds like a Halloween walk if there ever was one!!
  • Like 2

Me-"Yeah."

DH-"But what if we do?"

Hmm, yeah.  As I recall, when we lived on the farm we would drive into town to Grandma's & Grandpa's house and use that as our base for trick-or-treating.  Grandma always made up special bags of homemade goodies for her grandkids, so all grandkids who could get there would do so.  We would ring their front bell last (as we finished our rounds), collect the usual candy from Grandpa, and then go to the kitchen door to come back inside and get our goodies from Grandma.

This only lasted while both Grandma & Grandpa were healthy enough to live at home.  It was lovely, for the few years we got to do this.

• Like 2

:glare: :glare: :glare:

No, it won't be this summer. As already stated, the move will be taking up our spare time and resources. In some future year when we can afford the time and funds to go to Florida we can stop at DisneyWorld for a day, but we will be going to the Keys. Matt works hard to support this family, and if we are going that far on a trip we might as well go someplace he wants to visit. He deserves it. You are free to branch off in a different direction if you don't want to visit the Keys with us.

I'm afraid we have to start instituting a no phones or electronics rule at the table for mealtimes. The only acceptable exception is Matt's phone if it is work-related. We must set a good example for the kids, and the food tastes better when eaten without distraction while it is still the proper temperature. The kids are also starting to help with meal prep, and we want to pay appreciative attention to their efforts.

I think the book that will be sitting in the ITT Library, next to Critters Poetic Tomes and science-fiction best-sellers will be "AMJ's Handy Book of Replies to Difficult Questions and Annoying Relatives." Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

https://www.amazon.com/Just-So-Stories-Rudyard-Kipling/dp/0681403144/ref=reader_auth_dp

If you can, get a NEW copy of the hardcover of this edition. It includes Kipling's pen and ink drawings, but also has beautiful full-color plates done by Joseph M. Gleeson. I don't know if the paperback copies have these color plates, and you want the larger size in order to really enjoy the detail of the plates, anyway. It really is a nice edition. The cover of the hardcover book looks different from the soft-cover ones.

THANKYOUSOMUCH! I found one I really like but it's like a million dollars. I don't know what I'm looking at at there aren't any unabridged locally. :glare:

Go colors!!!!

It's a baseball team. I think?

Unabridged audio is great! But yes, if the boy likes the stories so much get him a good copy of the book, too. It just amplifies the enjoyment and experience, especially with good illustrations.

Yes, he's dying for his own copy. Edited by Slache
  • Like 2

Good Morning!!!!

Football!!💕💕ðŸˆðŸˆðŸˆðŸˆðŸˆ

Now I'm confused.

Me-"Yeah."

Me- :001_huh: "We won't have any."

DH-"But what if we do?"

Can I come live with you? Edited by Slache
  • Like 3

put a ticket booth by your gate, have your boys hide behind trees throwing slime balls and charge $10/person. Christmas money!!!

We are also working on a path through the haunted woods, but it gets ahead of us every summer. One day DH will get it all beat out over the winter. Then we can do haunted hayrides. :D

• Like 5

Looks like the wind is going to cooperate today. Imma have the boys load up the boats. There's a sail that needs trying out, and I could use the water time.

ETA: It's a River-Time Booyah!

And yeah, there's a poem perking about that.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

One of these days I'm going to get around to designing and building my life-sized skeletons to pose on my porch, and then I might make some really nice ghosts for my haunted forest. :D

As we were leaving ILs' neighborhood of multi-acre lots yesterday evening we spotted a For Sale sign out side one place.  This place does not have an enviable location, being right by the entrance to the neighborhood and backed up to a very large and tall apartment complex (the complex was built after the house). 

DH suggests planting a living fence of Mermaid (a fast-growing, bushy, tall, VERY thorny rose) across the back to discourage interlopers.  He also thinks it would be appropriate to set out a gentle reminder to apartment residents that trying to push through the roses is a bad idea: realistic reproduction skeletons placed in unfortunate climbing-through-but-thoroughly-stuck positions.

He does come up with some rather diabolical ideas.

• Like 3

I think the book that will be sitting in the ITT Library, next to Critters Poetic Tomes and science-fiction best-sellers will be "AMJ's Handy Book of Replies to Difficult Questions and Annoying Relatives."

Abstract for the back cover:  

No.

No.

What an interesting idea.  NO.

• Like 5

As we were leaving ILs' neighborhood of multi-acre lots yesterday evening we spotted a For Sale sign out side one place.  This place does not have an enviable location, being right by the entrance to the neighborhood and backed up to a very large and tall apartment complex (the complex was built after the house). 

DH suggests planting a living fence of Mermaid (a fast-growing, bushy, tall, VERY thorny rose) across the back to discourage interlopers.  He also thinks it would be appropriate to set out a gentle reminder to apartment residents that trying to push through the roses is a bad idea: realistic reproduction skeletons placed in unfortunate climbing-through-but-thoroughly-stuck positions.

He does come up with some rather diabolical ideas.

Argh! I love it!

• Like 1