Menu

Ignore this thread!

Which is 10 years from now. Ack! 

(actually, almost 11... thinking more about that number, I meant have the youngest graduated when I'm 33, which he is currently on track for - if he's 7.5 at the end of the spring semester for 2nd grade, he should graduate at 17.5, when I'm still 43. He wouldn't actually start college until I'm 44 though, unless he were to start in the summer... of course, who knows when he'll graduate... but either way, I *should* have plenty of time left for a post-parenting career)

• Like 1

Parents of high school students are expected to provide a quiet place to do homework (and in many schools, computer time as needed to complete it, but not for math), not assistance with it. Maybe read over a big paper draft to catch any major mistakes.

I never wanted any homework help, but I also didn't complete homework very consistently in upper elementary or junior high. I rocked it in high school, though.

Since homeschooling parents are the teachers, I'd expect them to provide further explanation if needed. Or, "Hey, can you make sure I did the first few right before I do the rest of the page?" But not actual help doing a problem.

I'm glad you said that. We are struggling so much with oldest DS. He is struggling with his grades and I wonder how much help should we be giving him.
  • Like 1

Fascinating.

Mine are just Italian meatballs.  In a pot of sauce.  Bubbling for three hours to perfection.    I am lazy so when I am typing they are....bubbling meatballs.   :laugh:

This is exactly the sort of thing that came up when I googled "bubbling meatballs".  People even do it with store-bought meatballs and store-bought sauce, either on the stove for 3+ hours or in the crockpot for however long.  They say the long cook time (starting with raw meatballs, not yet cooked) really condenses the sauce and augments the flavor.

I might try this idea in the crockpot, both as described and as porcupine balls.  It would be a fairly easy playing-with-food, so I should be able to pull it off without using up a lot of time.  I'd really like some quick-play options with food during the duration of the Dad Project Stage 1.

• Like 1

Trigger warning! Vopo! Reported!

And... Celery threw up. All over the bedding I washed the other day. In his defense, he'd fallen asleep in the living room on his beanbag chair, and then had walked to his bed half (or wholly?) asleep, without his bowl with him, so I put the bowl next to him, turned the light off in his bedroom, and closed the door, so, he might not have been able to figure out where the bowl was when he woke up vomiting. But still... why is it *always* that they throw up shortly after I put clean sheets on their beds?

Anyway, doing laundry now, and DW mopped his floor, and he's back in his beanbag chair, asleep. On the bright side, he says he's feeling better.

:grouphug: Celery and Luuknam. :grouphug:

• Like 1

Got this link from the Ridiculous thread:

Funny Court Recordings: http://funsubstance.com/fun/43391/funny-court-recordings/

229. These are hilarious!

I babble.  Does that make me a brook?  

Yes.

Apparently we should be calling Jean 'Brook'.

People keep suggesting that but as much as I love the guy, this is MY happy place with MY peeps. He can find his own.

#wedon’tshareeverything

#Ithinkwe’rehappierforit

Right... I don't think any of us were serious about him joining. It's just that you keep talking about his imminent demise, Brook.

• Like 5

Wow if that really is the model no wonder I hated ps math and thank goodness we’re homeschooling. I can’t wrap my head around not helping until they actually understand. I lived that and it’s a really crappy feeling. 😕

Why not? The teacher is supposed to help kids understand. That's the point of teaching, no? Including tutoring.

Math does make sense if taught correctly, and unless homeschooling, the parents shouldn't have to provide the instruction (although if the parents and student are in agreement on it, they could).

• Like 1

My neighbor quits talking to me every time our DDs have a fight! They are 10 and BFFs one day and mad the next, but this girl is the only kid DD has ever had a hard time getting along with. I always make DD apologize and make up b/c I feel sorry for them and want to be a good neighbor. Parents are immigrants w/ less than the best English skills, the dad is extremely ill and could pass anytime, and the mom doesn’t drive or work in our non-walkable city.

But really, this is crazy! Maybe it’s cultural but they won’t even get out of the road if they are walking the dog so I can drive by if the girls are having a not BFF day! The mom just glares at me. If I wave they turn their heads away. Then when the girls make up, they are all super friendly again but nothing is said. It’s exhausting. I’m starting to think I should listen to DD and not make her be friendly again.

But then I’d feel bad. The little girl has nobody else.

• Like 1

I survived concert #1! Yay!  We even escaped the venue in RECORD time and got out of downtown in mere minutes.  My time budget had me leaving Big City at about 11 pm; instead, we were almost halfway to Not So Big City by 10:15.  We made it home right about midnight. :hurray:

Concert #2 is going to be much more low key (Rend Collective) and a bit closer, so I may be home by 11 tonight. :hurray: :hurray:

Has anyone heard from Dawn?  I misses her muchly. :crying:

I :001_wub:  luuknam's flashbacks.

And everyone can now stop thinking about me getting Awix ( :001_wub: ) and just agree with me.

• Like 8

I had insomnia in the middle of the night. Of course this is the morning that Dh decided not to sleep in. I haven’t decided yet if I should let him live....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:

Booyah loving on Brookie, hoping she gets good sleep tonight so she doesn't start babbling.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

People keep suggesting that but as much as I love the guy, this is MY happy place with MY peeps. He can find his own.

#wedon’tshareeverything

#Ithinkwe’rehappierforit

Okay.

You still have to let him live, however.  Consider ITT families covered via extension by the no-dying rule.

• Like 3

Wow if that really is the model no wonder I hated ps math and thank goodness we’re homeschooling. I can’t wrap my head around not helping until they actually understand. I lived that and it’s a really crappy feeling. 😕

DH has been working with DD16 all morning today going over geometry, providing exactly this sort of help.  If he had not taken on this task I would be providing this level of help.  In college I tutored a friend through the statistics required by our major, providing this sort of help.  I don't consider re-teaching or reviewing stuff with my kid to be "cheating" on the homework.  The purpose of the homework is to give practice in doing the stuff correctly, not to be daily tests of retention of new material just presented.

• Like 1

My neighbor quits talking to me every time our DDs have a fight! They are 10 and BFFs one day and mad the next, but this girl is the only kid DD has ever had a hard time getting along with. I always make DD apologize and make up b/c I feel sorry for them and want to be a good neighbor. Parents are immigrants w/ less than the best English skills, the dad is extremely ill and could pass anytime, and the mom doesn’t drive or work in our non-walkable city.

But really, this is crazy! Maybe it’s cultural but they won’t even get out of the road if they are walking the dog so I can drive by if the girls are having a not BFF day! The mom just glares at me. If I wave they turn their heads away. Then when the girls make up, they are all super friendly again but nothing is said. It’s exhausting. I’m starting to think I should listen to DD and not make her be friendly again.

I agree with your dd.  The little girl can learn to moderate her behavior if she wants to.  If she asks why you aren't being friendly immediately like always, tell her gently that while it is normal to get into small fights with friends, there is a base level of courtesy that friends expect. 

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I think by this point I'd be letting your DD decide for herself if she wants to make up and be friendly again, or just let the relationship go.  It's sounding rather manipulative to me, as though they are pulling power plays on you and DD.  Maybe try not apologizing, and see what happens; wait it out.  I understand feeling sorry for them, but don't let them walk all over you just because.

• Like 2

Obviously the girls are on the outs now...and the mom has my library book!!

Act completely normal (not apologetic, not blaming, not as if your two girls are not friends at the moment) and simply ask for it back.  If she won't return it then report it stolen to the library.

• Like 3

I don’t understand if you’re saying it’s wrong for the parents to help or just ought to be unnecessary, but we can just drop it. Probably getting too deep. ;)

I'm saying it ought to be unnecessary (ETA: and wrong for the school to expect it). And if it had been necessary, I would've been completely screwed as a PS student without regular access to anyone who'd gone past geometry. That's why it's important to me that teachers teach for understanding. But we can drop it if you want.

I gave DS and DH their haircuts. Kitty was offered one and hid under the school table.

Is it just here, or is Halloween more of a thing than it used to be? My FB feed is full of local events--at churches! at the library! at the park! And not on Halloween itself. I don't love it.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 2

I agree with your dd. The little girl can learn to moderate her behavior if she wants to. If she asks why you aren't being friendly immediately like always, tell her gently that while it is normal to get into small fights with friends, there is a base level of courtesy that friends expect.

The little girl is mostly fine. It’s the parents who behave bizarrely. The little girl actually came over to apologize and my DD was rude this time, so I made her apologize. I guess they’re still mad.

I’ll go ask for my book in person and see if they talk to us. Maybe I can at least get the DD to get it for me. We watched her for about a month when her dad was in the hospital after the mom rang the doorbell early in the morning- 6am or something. We are always nice to them. I don’t get it.

• Like 2

Act completely normal (not apologetic, not blaming, not as if your two girls are not friends at the moment) and simply ask for it back.  If she won't return it then report it stolen to the library.

I agree.  I have, however, found that I have to be more direct with people who don't speak English well.  I can't imply things or use a lot of colloquialisms and expect them to understand.  It sounds rude to my ears but for the person who doesn't speak English well it is just getting the message across.

Yesterday in the grocery store I said to the deli person who doesn't speak English well, "Does this salad have any gluten in it?  Do you have an ingredients list that I can read?"  The person handed me a spoon to taste it.  Me:  "Print me a label.  I need to read the label."  Complete with a pantomime of him printing the label and me reading it.  I got my label.  90% of our deli employees are Mongolian.  They do fine with the normal phrases "please give me 1 pound of ______ meat..  Or please give me a medium container of coleslaw" but if you ask something off script like my question about gluten and they have no idea often what you are talking about. 

• Like 3

It has been a busy morning so far.  I have gotten several loads of laundry done, gotten an oil change and safety inspection for my truck, stopped by the grocery store, talked with a friend via phone, and decluttered more Pit of Despair stuff.  DH and DD16 are STILL at the geometry.  I tried reminding them non-intrusively to get some lunch, but I may have to repeat it more intrusively soon.  I'll give them at least until 1 PM, then I'll mention it again.  If he goes for too long he'll work her past any point of retaining the material.

• Like 1

That's so weird. Where are they from?

Unrelated: Broccoli wants to be Gengar for Halloween, and Celery Mimikyu:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gengar_(Pokémon)

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mimikyu_(Pokémon)

If any of you have brilliant ideas how to turn those into costumes, I'm all ears. 

That's so weird. Where are they from?

Unrelated: Broccoli wants to be Gengar for Halloween, and Celery Mimikyu:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gengar_(Pokémon)

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mimikyu_(Pokémon)

If any of you have brilliant ideas how to turn those into costumes, I'm all ears. 

Purple bathrobe with hood.  Attach triangular felt ears.  You could maybe put the face on the chest area of the bathrobe?

Grey bathrobe with hood.  Attach long felt ears.  Attach long felt tail. 

• Like 1

Purple bathrobe with hood.  Attach triangular felt ears.  You could maybe put the face on the chest area of the bathrobe?

Grey bathrobe with hood.  Attach long felt ears.  Attach long felt tail. 

These are good.  Perhaps (if there's room under the robe) belt a pillow around the waist for more roundness on the purple one?

• Like 1

DH is now assigning geometry vocabulary homework for Monday.  It sounds like he wants her to make a vocab reference sheet for the first 3 chapters so she can refer to that when working problems and reading lessons.

• Like 1

I grew up with immigrants and am extremely sympathetic to cultural differences but this is absolute crap. They're rude.

• Like 2

Which is 10 years from now. Ack! 

(actually, almost 11... thinking more about that number, I meant have the youngest graduated when I'm 33, which he is currently on track for - if he's 7.5 at the end of the spring semester for 2nd grade, he should graduate at 17.5, when I'm still 43. He wouldn't actually start college until I'm 44 though, unless he were to start in the summer... of course, who knows when he'll graduate... but either way, I *should* have plenty of time left for a post-parenting career)

I'm already 42, so my post-parenting season will begin, at best, when I'm 57.  :blink:

Hopefully I can move straight into grandmothering and living in an apartment above Dd8s future cafe/bakery.   :laugh:   We won't even discuss how old dh will be at that point.

• Like 2

This is exactly the sort of thing that came up when I googled "bubbling meatballs".  People even do it with store-bought meatballs and store-bought sauce, either on the stove for 3+ hours or in the crockpot for however long.  They say the long cook time (starting with raw meatballs, not yet cooked) really condenses the sauce and augments the flavor.

I might try this idea in the crockpot, both as described and as porcupine balls.  It would be a fairly easy playing-with-food, so I should be able to pull it off without using up a lot of time.  I'd really like some quick-play options with food during the duration of the Dad Project Stage 1.

Exactly.  

That's what I always do.  Meatballs get mixed up, rolled up, and frozen raw, then when I want a meatball and spaghetti dinner, I just dump the meatballs in the crockpot with homemade sauce (also kept frozen).   I've never pre-cooked meatballs.  Not sure how to do it, actually. 

• Like 1

Garage is done, at least as far as it can be to this point.  

One hand-me-down particle-board storage unit broke (beyond repair, even for my dh who finds a way to repair everything) so I need to hit BB+B to buy a replacement.  I think I also want to grab more coat hooks, since a few of my peeps are tall enough to reach up high now.   And there's a bin labelled "hardware" that is actually about 82% C.R.A.P, so I need to sort through it.  But Dh better be with me for that, or from here to eternity I'll be blamed for every screw and bolt and critical-for-the-existence-of-humankind-during-the-apocalypse-piece-of-scrap-metal that ever comes up missing.

Next, laundry.  And maybe the pile on the dining room table. 

• Like 3

Low-acid coffee is yummy, but the store only had caffeinated.  I drank two cups.  Caffeine takes a little while to hit me so I felt fine while drinking the second cup.  Now I have jitters.

I MUST find a store that sells the decaf low-acid stuff.  *vibrating*

• Like 3

Youngest is having a week.  Croup, dental woes, and now a shovel to the head. I can't even make this stuff up.  I sent the older three to pull weeds. Youngest decided to dig a hole in the mulched bed.  One of my middles grabbed a shovel, for some reason I cannot fathom, and put it over his shoulder.  Somehow it made contact with Youngest's forehead, leaving a small puncture wound. 

***sigh***

The cut does not need stitches, but she's going to have a big bruise and a bandaid on her forehead for the children's program at church tomorrow.

• Like 1

Youngest is having a week.  Croup, dental woes, and now a shovel to the head. I can't even make this stuff up.  I sent the older three to pull weeds. Youngest decided to dig a hole in the mulched bed.  One of my middles grabbed a shovel, for some reason I cannot fathom, and put it over his shoulder.  Somehow it made contact with Youngest's forehead, leaving a small puncture wound. 

***sigh***

The cut does not need stitches, but she's going to have a big bruise and a bandaid on her forehead for the children's program at church tomorrow.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2