Menu

Ignore this thread!

Rule #1. You have to read the entire thread. There will be a test at the end. Plus, there are points you can get. So, read the thread.

Rule number I-don't-recall: no dying.

Did not read entire thread and haven't been kicked out.  :leaving:

They xrayed dd11's ankle and didn't see anything. They'll send it to the super-duper radiologist to make sure. In the meantime, she will need to sit in ways that don't stress her ankle and see how it is in a month.

:hurray:  :hurray: I hope it heals quickly!

Why is it that the more behind I am, the more time that I spend here? :glare:

At least you won't be behind on ITT!

• Like 5

OMG, DW was speaking truth when she said the upstairs neighbors' karaoke is BAD... 'nuff said.

Oh.  I'm sorry.

We had upstairs neighbors who didn't do karaoke, but listened to music that was very offensive to me and my littles.  I used to drown it out with very loud classical music.  :)

• Like 2

Oh.  I'm sorry.

We had upstairs neighbors who didn't do karaoke, but listened to music that was very offensive to me and my littles.  I used to drown it out with very loud classical music.  :)

At least it's not offensive... but, it sounds like not-particularly-talented kids singing karaoke, kwim? The neighbor only has her kids on the weekend though, and seems to reserve karaoke for only some Friday nights, so... I'll put up with it... it's not like they do it for hours and hours.

• Like 2

My in-laws are coming tomorrow for the weekend. I should be cleaning but I don't feel like it. I'm tired and still sore and it's been over 2 weeks since I really cleaned anything and where to start? Their houses look like model homes- literally. FIL's house was featured in a design magazine. His home always looks that good too. 

Kitchen and bathrooms, right? As long as those are ok, it's not too bad, right? I was going to recruit the kids to vacuum and straighten in the morning, but I'm sure it will be done with half their butts' effort. 

• Like 2

My in-laws are coming tomorrow for the weekend. I should be cleaning but I don't feel like it. I'm tired and still sore and it's been over 2 weeks since I really cleaned anything and where to start? Their houses look like model homes- literally. FIL's house was featured in a design magazine. His home always looks that good too. 

Kitchen and bathrooms, right? As long as those are ok, it's not too bad, right? I was going to recruit the kids to vacuum and straighten in the morning, but I'm sure it will be done with half their butts' effort. 

I vote you don't worry about how the in-laws will view your home. Aren't they coming to see you and the Paigelet? House doesn't matter.

Let the kids vacuum and do the straightening, and first thing out of your mouth should be to praise them to the in-laws as to what a good job they did on the house, even if it was a quarter-butt job and not a half.

• Like 6

I'm going to go against the crowd, then. We've been to Disney several times with littles when we lived closer. I like it when they're little because I don't do roller coasters because of a neck injury and they are free if they're 3, or is it under 3? I like free. Since you're doing it for John, don't worry about the others remembering it. They'll have a good time anyway and you'll have the memories. We went the last time when the kids were about 9,6, and 3, and everyone but the 3yr old remembers it with happy memories. My younger DD still likes to look at the pictures we took from the trip, though, and pretend she remembers. 

We drove, but not from Cincinnati. That may add a hotel stay if you don't want to go straight through. We always rent a condo or house. If you look around, you should be able to stay in a condo near Disney for about $300-400 a week; maybe less. It's been a long time since I looked. I think it was only $299 the first time. There's so many condos that you can find good deals. 

We would eat at the condo or house, go to Disney, come home for a nap and lunch, then go back to the park. If you really want to be cheap you could come home for dinner too, but we usually ate there. We got a deal on tickets (military), so I can't help you there, but there's some timeshare places that will give you tickets for listening to their spiel. You may be able to stay at a condo and just do Disney for a day or two and enjoy the pool and other stuff the rest of the week. I know we spent less than $1000 for a family of 6. 

We always went Sept-Nov and the crowds were very light. My DD couldn't walk well at the time and wore braces on her legs so we had a disability pass but we almost never needed to use it for waiting in lines. We used it more for an accessibility ramp when the stroller couldn't go through the normal lanes. Early Nov is really nice because the weather isn't too hot and you don't have any Fall Break, Halloween, or Thanksgiving crowds. If you are lucky, the park may already be decorated for Christmas. I think it would be no fun if you went during a more crowded time. We didn't do any stressful planning- we just showed up and wandered wherever we felt like. Disney isn't my favorite trip, but the kids loved it (even the little ones), and I thought it was easy. It's nice when you have little kids to go someplace that caters to them. I would prefer trips to "real" cultural places, but it's not as fun to do that with little kids, IMO. Or maybe my kids were just pains in the rear...

Thanks! Yeah, if the money was there I'd totally go now and again in a few years, but as it is we have to wait.

I think my $1,000 budget probably didn't include food- just accommodations and tickets. $300 for condo, and tickets were only $100 or so a piece at the time for military. I know it's higher now.  Maybe you could do it for $2000?

I intend to start a thread when I begin planning. :coolgleamA:

My in-laws are coming tomorrow for the weekend. I should be cleaning but I don't feel like it. I'm tired and still sore and it's been over 2 weeks since I really cleaned anything and where to start? Their houses look like model homes- literally. FIL's house was featured in a design magazine. His home always looks that good too.

Don’t clean. Take care of yourself and the baby. The ILs can actually help if it’s that important to them.

• Like 7

Don’t clean. Take care of yourself and the baby. The ILs can actually help if it’s that important to them.

That's funny. They don't clean. They hire people to clean. They live a far, far, different life than us. But we love them a lot. They are my easiest relatives to get along with. It's really my issue- I'm sure they would never be less than kind and gracious. 

• Like 7

It's cold and my flannel shirt is sooooo warm. :001_smile:

So was mine.   :001_smile:   I got to wear one of my thicker ones to park day.  It almost wasn't enough, but then I warmed up and it was.   :001_smile:  :001_smile:  :001_smile:

• Like 1

Do I even want to know what he would do with the taffy? 

It's a visual aid.  He can be very persuasive when using visual aids.

Talented staff Booya(h)!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

I just saw a commercial for stitch fix.   :D

My delivery isn't due until next Thursday.  Oh, Speedy!  Go hurry them along for me, would ya?  Andalay!

#ihavenoideahowtospellthat

• Like 2

That's funny. They don't clean. They hire people to clean. They live a far, far, different life than us. But we love them a lot. They are my easiest relatives to get along with. It's really my issue- I'm sure they would never be less than kind and gracious. 

Well, then they can hire people to clean your house if they care that much. :)

• Like 4

Don't forget Sven. He'll massage away your headaches, Junie.

And Susan's private jet.  (I think it was Susan's? But did it blow up or something on page 1000? or Post 10,000?) 

Nevermind about Susan's private jet.  Pretty sure we blew it up.   But that was some party.  

:ohmy:   You did that while my back was turned, didn't ya?  When I was hiatusing elsewhere?  You must have, because pilot's daughter here would NEVER have let you blow up a plane otherwise!

Nobody died, right?

• Like 2

Did I tell you all that DDa went to a party a couple weeks ago and chose to go to a school dance/ Halloween party tonight?? Her new BFF is the class President, and DDa actually has 2 groups of friends she has to choose between sitting with at lunch. She alternates to keep it fair. And she has all As and 1 B. I am pretty stunned by her progress- she hasn't willingly engaged in social events or even friendly chit chat w/ others near her age for 2 years. 

DDb is still maintaining the status quo...

• Like 8

Aaaand... Celery just came in here to say he threw up, and showed me his sleeve. Thankfully, he says that the stuff on his sleeve was all that he threw up. He still looks pretty miserable though, and is taking forever eating a slice of bread (he wanted to eat something - I offered him other stuff, but he didn't want anything else).

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Recruit the kids to clean the kitchen and the bathrooms.  If they aren't quite up to your visitors' standards when they show up simply tell them the kids were being helpful and cleaned them for you since you are still healing.

• Like 1

I probably shouldn't be saying that, what with all the Texans around. They might put a spider in my bed.

No spiders.  We will just festoon your ceiling with stars.  Because Astros.

• Like 1

I just spent like 3 minutes looking for a pen that's behind my ear.

Yesterday I had a small audience watch me look for a piece of paper that was right in front of me the whole time.

• Like 1

Trigger warning! Vopo! Reported!

And... Celery threw up. All over the bedding I washed the other day. In his defense, he'd fallen asleep in the living room on his beanbag chair, and then had walked to his bed half (or wholly?) asleep, without his bowl with him, so I put the bowl next to him, turned the light off in his bedroom, and closed the door, so, he might not have been able to figure out where the bowl was when he woke up vomiting. But still... why is it *always* that they throw up shortly after I put clean sheets on their beds? 

Anyway, doing laundry now, and DW mopped his floor, and he's back in his beanbag chair, asleep. On the bright side, he says he's feeling better.

• Like 1

Do parents check their kids homework and tell them what’s wrong and then help them figure it out? Is that a thing? If it is, why don’t all the kids who have parents with the time and math knowledge to help them gets As on homework? Just feeling curious.

In NL, math homework doesn't count for anything. You do it because it increases your odds of passing the test. But it doesn't affect your grade. The teacher goes over the homework in class, and if you don't get something, you ask questions. If you're at home and you don't get something and your parents actually understand math, you can ask them too, of course, so yeah, some parents help with math etc homework in high school, but, there are no As for homework.

• Like 1

In high school I helped my mom with her math homework. She was taking some high school courses (there are different tracks for high school, and when she dropped out of the middle track after 9th grade, that was the equivalent of finishing the lowest track, but she was contemplating going to university to major in music history or something, so, she was taking some high school courses at night school when I was in high school). I specifically recall going over some stuff about the definition of a derivative with her. 

• Like 1

Edpo. (I am starting to envision a man named Ed with a potbelly now when I see this...)

Laying aside the fact that we’re homeschoolers who don’t need grades and aren’t constrained by a school model...

So, when .i was in high school my mom never helped me with my math bc she didn’t 7nderstand it. Dh’s parents never helped him bc he always understood it (he was THAT kid who corrected the teacher). So I’m confused about what happens with normal ppl. Do parents check their kids homework and tell them what’s wrong and then help them figure it out? Is that a thing? If it is, why don’t all the kids who have parents with the time and math knowledge to help them gets As on homework? Just feeling curious.

I didn’t live at home for junior high and high school.

Again though, neither of our homework counted for anything. So, none of the above was cheating or w/e. Occasionally in NL there is homework that counts for something, like when you have to write a report or something, but I don't recall ever having any math homework that counted for something.

Edpo. (I am starting to envision a man named Ed with a potbelly now when I see this...)

Laying aside the fact that we’re homeschoolers who don’t need grades and aren’t constrained by a school model...

So, when .i was in high school my mom never helped me with my math bc she didn’t 7nderstand it. Dh’s parents never helped him bc he always understood it (he was THAT kid who corrected the teacher). So I’m confused about what happens with normal ppl. Do parents check their kids homework and tell them what’s wrong and then help them figure it out? Is that a thing? If it is, why don’t all the kids who have parents with the time and math knowledge to help them gets As on homework? Just feeling curious.

I will look over DD(10s) homework if she has any and will note whatever she gets incorrect. It's her job to look at it and figure out why it's wrong. Most of the time that's all it takes and she notices she added when she should have subtracted or something simple. Sometimes I help more. She had this assignment where she had to figure out they were describing a kookaburra. She had no clue. How many kids who don't live in Australia know what a kookaburra is??? It's not like they were studying them in class. It was a paper on inference. It took me a while to figure it out and my mom who tried to help first didn't get it either. We were trying to think of a local animal. 

The older kids ask for help less, but I will try to talk them through whatever they need. Sometimes DS (16) asks me to help proofread his papers. I don't think that's cheating. I think it is good practice to run your papers by another set of eyes before turning it in and sometimes he rejects my edits (to his detriment, I'm sure.)

And... Celery threw up. All over the bedding I washed the other day. In his defense, he'd fallen asleep in the living room on his beanbag chair, and then had walked to his bed half (or wholly?) asleep, without his bowl with him, so I put the bowl next to him, turned the light off in his bedroom, and closed the door, so, he might not have been able to figure out where the bowl was when he woke up vomiting. But still... why is it *always* that they throw up shortly after I put clean sheets on their beds? 

Anyway, doing laundry now, and DW mopped his floor, and he's back in his beanbag chair, asleep. On the bright side, he says he's feeling better.

Sorry he's feeling sick. I bought these after a massive puke fest in our house a year or so ago and the kids always keep at least one of them near their beds for unexpected emergencies. They are soooo much nicer than using a bucket. 

In NL, math homework doesn't count for anything. You do it because it increases your odds of passing the test. But it doesn't affect your grade. The teacher goes over the homework in class, and if you don't get something, you ask questions. If you're at home and you don't get something and your parents actually understand math, you can ask them too, of course, so yeah, some parents help with math etc homework in high school, but, there are no As for homework.

I wish it were like that here. 

• Like 1

Back to back posts:

Tell the sniper if he is nice to you he can have a share of pizza and root beer.

Yeah, extended family pizza night gets interesting here, too, for the same reason.

:lol:

And then later:

We are so very predictable. :)

Well, maybe some of us are.

Or perhaps some of us are just exquisitely awesome.

Me, I'm going with Option 2.

Definitely.

You predicted 200 pages?

I predict another 200 pages.

And... I'm on page 215.

• Like 3

I took typing in high school.  On, you know, a typewriter.  (That's actually a thing, for you youngsters.)

My cousin had a typewriter when she was in high school (she's 7 years older than me). I wanted one too. My parents didn't get me one though. But then my dad got to take one of his work's old computers home when I was in 6th grade, and then we got a new computer when I was in, I think, 7th grade? I still think a typewriter would've been neat. Plus, I don't know how to type. I'm just pretending.

• Like 1

:ohmy:   You did that while my back was turned, didn't ya?  When I was hiatusing elsewhere?  You must have, because pilot's daughter here would NEVER have let you blow up a plane otherwise!

Nobody died, right?

Of course not.  Against the rules.

And I didn't do it.  Susan did.   :001_tt2: 

(Dawn thought it was a meteor blast.   :lol: )

Good morning!!!!

There was a loud, boom and our house shook around 10:50 last night. I didn't know what to think. Earthquake? No, earthquakes don't go boom. Ds20's fire radio went wild. There were several 911 calls and members of the fire department heard it too. So now I knew I wasn't going crazy. :D So it turns out they think it was a meteor entering the atmosphere and breaking up. There are no reports of damage or injury according to the local news. But wow, it was loud. I have never experienced anything like that.

Just Jean's party.  I told Susan a lighter and a hair spray can was not a wise way to make fireworks, but oh well.  Her jet. Her party. 

• Like 4

A Vopo!!!!!!  The first of its kind!  :hurray:

• Like 3