Menu

Ignore this thread!

Yes.

So, I eat at Torchy's monthly because salmon tacos. Yum. Anyway, I am fairly convinced that they are making a cheese base, and pouring a chili oil on top of it and not making a full blown crema but using something like Cacique's Crema Mexicana Agria http://www.caciqueinc.com/products/crema-mexicana-agria/.  I see it in all of the stores. It's what I buy.  It's definitely thinner than mixing sour cream with heavy cream, but I think either the epicurious recipe or buying a jar of the stuff would work.

Thank you!  I will have to check them out (salmon tacos, mmmmmm.......)  I had never heard of them, but there is one sorta-kinda in our neck of the woods.

If we are stopping at a grocery store I will see about buying a jar of that.  If I can't find it I'll pick up some sour cream and mix it with heavy cream.

pulled bbq chicken

carmelized red onions

scallions

melted jack

salsa

guac

sour cream

Do you melt your Jack cheese before topping the chips, or do you sprinkle the shreds on and let it melt in the oven?

Yes, you're right!  And, you know you don't have to get a grip on the next 8 years right now.  Whatever you plan will need to change anyway, lol.  

Well, either way is fine.  Some pros and cons to consider....  SOTW 4 gets really detailed - lots of info - easy to get bogged down, and he's already familiar with some WWI and WWII and presidents, so maybe skip it.  On the other hand, you may or may not need 4 years for the logic stage cycle.  I had a hard time being successful with the history cycle in the logic stage because my history lover (oldest ds) was bored by everything we tried.  He had already learned so much the first time through that any chronological study we tried seemed dry to him at that point.  In hind sight, it might have been better to have encouraged interest led studies instead.  So, do you think he would really enjoy modern?  There are lots of interesting modern topics - development of jazz, rock, music, etc.,  prohibition and the 20s, WWI and II and lots of heroic stories, changing political landscape - JFK, and later Nixon, etc., etc....., also Civil Rights, shouldn't leave that out....

I just work better when I have a plan - even though I do change it as needed.  The plan calms me.

We'd do Modern, but the question was 5th or 8th grade, or both.  I'm leaning towards just doing HO/SOTW Modern in 5th and finding something else for 6-8th.

• Like 4

I finished my calendar yesterday, and being the type A that I am, I filled out the stuff we did this fall, too.  Go me!  Normally the Aug-Aug format is great, because I spend August planning for the school year.  However, we traveled this past August.  ALL of this past August.  Worst mistake evah.  

So now onto my school planner, which likewise has sat on a shelf for the semester because I didn't have time to set it up in August.  I use that like a record-journal anyway, but typically I would have filled it out on a daily basis.  

Filling it out 4 months later, times three kids, is going to #suck. But I really feel I need to.  

#isaidsuck

• Like 4

IMO, I think you need to hit Modern History.  First grade was a long time ago, and hitting the basics of what happened in modern history is important before you hit it again in high school and you start to understand the emotional implications of what humanity has done to one another.  SOTW4 gives you the events without the brutality.  I really like Pandia Press's materials...ds10 is using Ancients this year in 5th grade.  We're focusing on outlining and other writing skills within the Ancients context, though, it's not the same as really understanding the fall of colonialism, the proliferation of arms, and the messed up world that we live in where political boundaries don't match ethnicity.  I'd talk about the Mugabe and Stalin and Assad and Qaddafi and Bashir and a number of other people and how they came to power, how they utilize/ban the press, how they interact with their armies, and the other things that keep them in power.  

What other stuff did you decide to fit in?  Because 3 years of "other stuff" was my other option.  Then back to 4 year cycle for high school.  Or maybe complete the cycle in 5th, do a second cycle from 6-9, the 3 years of self-led intensives.

Math is much easier: just keep swimming.

Here in Texas the brick & mortar students all get Texas history in both 4th & 7th grades.  DD15 was still in B&M school for 4th so she got that, but DD12 didn't, so this year DD12 is doing Texas history (7th grade version) while DD15 does some high school history of the U.S. after 1877.  When we started homeschooling we started with Ancients and did some Medieval, but the kids were bored and I also was required to teach "good citizenship", so the next year I used our history time for We The People (early U.S. history and Decl. of Indep.), and last year we did World Geography (because we are citizens of the world, not just our country or state -- that's my rationale for claiming it as "good citizenship").

There is time enough for me to perhaps hit a gentler version of modern history with DD12 before she reaches high school, and that might be a good thing for her.  DD15 isn't quite as sensitive, and is going to get the bulk of her modern history in high school as U.S. history and World history.  

I am tempted to get SOTW 4 to run them both through quickly over the summer.

• Like 1

I finished my calendar yesterday, and being the type A that I am, I filled out the stuff we did this fall, too.  Go me!  Normally the Aug-Aug format is great, because I spend August planning for the school year.  However, we traveled this past August.  ALL of this past August.  Worst mistake evah.  

So now onto my school planner, which likewise has sat on a shelf for the semester because I didn't have time to set it up in August.  I use that like a record-journal anyway, but typically I would have filled it out on a daily basis.  

Filling it out 4 months later, times three kids, is going to #suck. But I really feel I need to.  

#isaidsuck

:grouphug:

***Educational Post Alert ***

Need your input for consideration.

We did the U.S. Presidents (including major time on the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, some World War I, and a lot of World War II stuff) in 1st grade. Then we went on and did History Odyssey/SOTW 1-3. So next year for 5th, should we:

Finish up and do HO Modern/SOTW 4, then condense second history cycle into 3 years?

OR

Start the cycle over so I have a full year of each level at the Logic stage level?

I would finish the cycle. You don't actually know what you're going to do in the long haul and finishing the cycle makes the most sense.
  • Like 3

That was one of my ideas as well.  I have it already, but I was thinking maybe of getting the audio and just having him listen. 

No matter what I choose, I'm sure it will be fine and all work out, but I still need a plan.  Right now I have too. many. plans.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 1

Ikslo, I'd do SOTW 4 and then condense the next history cycle to grades 6-8.

Actually, I'm planning to condense for 6-8 anyway (taking 5th out to do geography and world cultures).

DS is feeling better. I was able to give him & DH their haircuts. Now DS is bathed and back on the couch watching Pokemon. Normally he gets his screen time on Sunday afternoons, but we're spending time with extended family tomorrow anyway.

Lunch with my student & her mom was great. We get together every year. I can't believe she's in her last year of college and applying to grad schools--time flies! (I taught her in school in 6th grade and tutored her from 7th until she started college.)

• Like 6

Do you melt your Jack cheese before topping the chips, or do you sprinkle the shreds on and let it melt in the oven?

If it's for a party and people are picking their own toppings, I'd probably melt up some cheesy sauce in a pot and let them drizzle it on.

What we do, though, is layer the following in a large casserole dish:

-nachos

-salsa (not tons, just drizzle it on)

-cheese

-carmelized onions

-bbq chicken (already cooked, shredded, and marinated in bbq sauce; real bbq-ers can probably whip up something much more authentic than I can, though)

-scallions

-olives (if you like them)

Then bake (I think around 325) for about 15 minutes, or until everything is melty and warm.  Serve with salsa, guac, and sour cream on the side. 

ETA:  Tomatoes!  I forgot tomatoes!  Slice those on top, too.  

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 1

Or an on-call psychologist. This guy routinely makes me want to slap him.

Seeing as I want to inflict bodily harm on my antagonist, that might not be a good idea...

Actually, it would be perfect. It could be called something like, "Writing for Kids: The ENB Way." :D

• Like 8

Gymnast broke another Christmas ornament. I think I'm going to put away the ornaments and other decorations, just leaving the tree with lights. Did I mention that Gymnast had broken the ornament that had her handprint on it from when she was 4?  :crying:  That was a sad moment.

• Like 1

Actually, I'm planning to condense for 6-8 anyway (taking 5th out to do geography and world cultures).

DS is feeling better.

Glad your DS is feeling better. :thumbup1:

What curriculum are you planning on using for 6-8?

• Like 1

Gymnast broke another Christmas ornament. I think I'm going to put away the ornaments and other decorations, just leaving the tree with lights. Did I mention that Gymnast had broken the ornament that had her handprint on it from when she was 4?  :crying:  That was a sad moment.

:crying:

• Like 1

Can it be superglued?  The newly broken one, I mean. I'm guessing plaster can't be superglued.  

• Like 1

Glad your DS is feeling better. :thumbup1:

What curriculum are you planning on using for 6-8?

It'll depend on how he's doing that point--right now he's in 3rd and a definite history enthusiast but not an especially advanced reader, just on grade level or slightly above.

But we already have volumes 1 and 2 of the K12 Human Odyssey books and some of Hakim's History of US, and I'd love to add some other things we can read together--we do have Plutarch's Roman Lives and Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire if he's up for them at that point, for example. I have a few ideas jotted down in the tabs on my spreadsheet if you want to see--look in the columns marked History and Books to Read in the tab for each grade.

• Like 1

Can someone tell me about fish tacos?

I had half a fish taco at a wonderful Tex-Mex place downtown and it was completely not worth mentioning. And I hear people raving over how delicious fish tacos are. Mine was basically what looked like a fish stick (though it was made from scratch at the restaurant) and some topping stuff in it like lettuce and tomatoes and things, in a flour tortilla. Kind of dry. What was it missing?

For New Years Eve we are having party food - mini bagel pizzas, pigs-in-a-blanket, mozzarella sticks, sausage balls, chips and dips, and taquitos with root beer floats, key lime pie, and ice cream with chocolate sauce for desserts. I'm hungry right now.

That was one of my ideas as well.  I have it already, but I was thinking maybe of getting the audio and just having him listen. 

No matter what I choose, I'm sure it will be fine and all work out, but I still need a plan.  Right now I have too. many. plans.

Oh, yeah, I need to double-check.  We might have all 4 years of SOTW on audio.  I seem to recall playing it non-stop one road trip a few years back....

• Like 1

If it's for a party and people are picking their own toppings, I'd probably melt up some cheesy sauce in a pot and let them drizzle it on.

What we do, though, is layer the following in a large casserole dish:

-nachos

-salsa (not tons, just drizzle it on)

-cheese

-carmelized onions

-bbq chicken (already cooked, shredded, and marinated in bbq sauce; real bbq-ers can probably whip up something much more authentic than I can, though)

-scallions

-olives (if you like them)

Then bake (I think around 325) for about 15 minutes, or until everything is melty and warm.  Serve with salsa, guac, and sour cream on the side. 

ETA:  Tomatoes!  I forgot tomatoes!  Slice those on top, too.  

That sounds good!  I just might do that for my own pie plate.  

We have some leftover steak, too, we could slice up....

• Like 1

DS is feeling better. I was able to give him & DH their haircuts. Now DS is bathed and back on the couch watching Pokemon. Normally he gets his screen time on Sunday afternoons, but we're spending time with extended family tomorrow anyway.

Lunch with my student & her mom was great. We get together every year. I can't believe she's in her last year of college and applying to grad schools--time flies! (I taught her in school in 6th grade and tutored her from 7th until she started college.)

I'm glad he is feeling better!  And glad you got to see your student and her Mom.  They grow so fast, don't they?

• Like 1

Aww!  No chance of gluing it?

• Like 1

It'll depend on how he's doing that point--right now he's in 3rd and a definite history enthusiast but not an especially advanced reader, just on grade level or slightly above.

But we already have volumes 1 and 2 of the K12 Human Odyssey books and some of Hakim's History of US, and I'd love to add some other things we can read together--we do have Plutarch's Roman Lives and Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire if he's up for them at that point, for example. I have a few ideas jotted down in the tabs on my spreadsheet if you want to see--look in the columns marked History and Books to Read in the tab for each grade.

Now that's a spreadsheet!  

• Like 1

My boys go to the salon with me every six weeks. I get colored and foiled up, they get sheared, then I get trimmed. The boys and DH are working on tidying up the waterline outside. There was some handwork that needed to be done before it rains again. We've got a problem with the one area retaining water. I suggested a supporting drainage system, which was initially shot down. I decided that the males needed a fortifying root beer, and by the time I got back with beverages, the drainage idea had been reconsidered and approved. All my ideas are good. I try to tell DH this. :laugh:

I will do no cooking today. Cleaning is done. I have chocolate. I do have a town errand or two to run, and I will look again at a replacement for my aged laptop.

My ideas usually come full circle too. Nope, won't work. Oh, maybe we should do this. "This" is usually just what I suggested in the first place. Murph.

At least you're not afraid.   :hat:   (I never watched that show by the way.  Not really interested in either of those adjectives.)

I watched it once. I am scarred.

John's watching Back to The Future. "Why did he say ' holy ****?'" Matt watched it on TV so many times that he'd forgotten parts. Oops.

We, and most people we know, have had this same experience. Such a cute show. Fun show. Good show. The language is the thing that was erased from our desensitized 80s brains, lol.

Sorry about your headache.

Is it the Metaxas biography? I just read that once recently. Loved it.

That's the one. So well done. I haven't read a bio that good in a long time:-)

Slight spin off - have any of you read the Metaxas book, Seven Men and the Secret of Their Greatness?  I saw the next book, Seven Women....., at the book store and was interested.  But didn't buy it.

I haven't read them, but they are now on my list:-)

ketchup, ketchup, ketchup, ketchup....... :svengo:

Yup, me too. I have almost caught up, with the exception of a few pages around 1518 :lol:

I'm trying to get a grip on the next 8 years of schooling. Never really expected to still be homeschooling...

There are so many parts!!!! My head is spinning.

Today my DH was making comments about what DS knows/doesn't know and I had to set him straight that unless he was going to actually TEACH a class, he needed to just chill. Am I right or am I right?

You are so very right :D

Headache is finally gone. Still a little sore around the brain area, lol.

Hating technology and its hold on teenagers right now.

Need to work on Physics for the week.

Ellie's story both made me laugh and exhausted me:-)

• Like 6

Quackers, your friend has a gift. That thing is a work of art!

Whitehawk, so is your spreadsheet:-)

I am sad because the friends that were going to spend NYE with us have the stomach flu :eek: She and I were lamenting this morning because it was one of the few things over break that we were excited to do, rather than just being obligatory.

I have to finish going over the solutions for Physics problems, make a child finish a lab report, listen to an Iliad lecture, reload the laundry, dig my bed out from under already done laundry, make sure Ds has done dishes, and that other Ds has cleaned the kids bathroom.

Then, I am going to play with my spreadsheet because fun:-)

• Like 8

Can it be superglued?  The newly broken one, I mean. I'm guessing plaster can't be superglued.  

No, it wasn't plaster. It was one of those regular glass ball ornaments. It was blue, with her handprint in white paint. The fingers were decorated like snowmen, and the palm was the snow hill the snowmen were sitting on. It shattered.  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  It was so tiny and cute.

• Like 2

I had half a fish taco at a wonderful Tex-Mex place downtown and it was completely not worth mentioning. And I hear people raving over how delicious fish tacos are. Mine was basically what looked like a fish stick (though it was made from scratch at the restaurant) and some topping stuff in it like lettuce and tomatoes and things, in a flour tortilla. Kind of dry. What was it missing?

For New Years Eve we are having party food - mini bagel pizzas, pigs-in-a-blanket, mozzarella sticks, sausage balls, chips and dips, and taquitos with root beer floats, key lime pie, and ice cream with chocolate sauce for desserts. I'm hungry right now.

I've not had a fish taco like the one you describe. The ones I've had had pieces of flaked, flavorful fish. Not fish sticks.

• Like 3

You've got until Epiphany! January 6th! And some would be so bold as to extend until Fat Tuesday, so go crazy!

You can listen to it any time of year.  You are an adult (we all are, supposedly), and you get to make such decisions.

Some of my "Christmas" music is what I instead call "winter music".  I get to play it not only during holiday seasons, but anytime I want to invoke a bit of winter (such as in the middle of a blasted humid heat wave).

Technically, you can do it until the feast of the Baptism of the Lord, January 9. You're welcome.

Thank you all! I have it playing as we speak.
  • Like 1

Gymnast has literally been bouncing from one sofa to another. I just heard her crying and she was holding her arm. Thankfully, it doesn't look broken, and the initial pain/weakness seems to have subsided. All I could imagine was spending time in urgent care on NYE.  She is called Gymnast for a reason.

Hmmm, she's still holding her arm...

• Like 4

Here in Texas the brick & mortar students all get Texas history in both 4th & 7th grades.  DD15 was still in B&M school for 4th so she got that, but DD12 didn't, so this year DD12 is doing Texas history (7th grade version) while DD15 does some high school history of the U.S. after 1877.  When we started homeschooling we started with Ancients and did some Medieval, but the kids were bored and I also was required to teach "good citizenship", so the next year I used our history time for We The People (early U.S. history and Decl. of Indep.), and last year we did World Geography (because we are citizens of the world, not just our country or state -- that's my rationale for claiming it as "good citizenship").

There is time enough for me to perhaps hit a gentler version of modern history with DD12 before she reaches high school, and that might be a good thing for her.  DD15 isn't quite as sensitive, and is going to get the bulk of her modern history in high school as U.S. history and World history.  

What do you use for TX history?

I can't figure out how to multi quote. I didn't mean housework or any kind of work. I ended up coloring my new coloring calendar with dd15.

Did you ever figure this out? Did someone tell you how? I looked, but I may have missed it. "Mommy, can you make me a pony tail? Make it a smooth ponytail. You make such good pony tails. Can you help me make ponytails for my daughter? And for my wedding? And can you help me find a wedding dress?" My 6 year old daughter just came in.

Anyhow, to multi-quote... Look down at the quote thing. It says quote and then multi quote. Hit multiquote. A little black box will show up in the corner saying you are quoting one post. Then just hit multiquote on the other posts you want to quote. It will keep track for you. Then, when you want to reply, hit the reply to quotes button in that new little box and there you go.

If you already figured this out, then disregard the previous paragraph.

• Like 1

Fish tacos:  I've had amazingly good and really bad (like what you describe).

Amazingly good:

grilled salmon with a black bean and corn relish drizzled with queso fresco, avocado sauce, and cilantro served in a corn tortilla

Also good: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/fish-tacos-creamy-lime-guacamole-and-cabbage-slaw

You're wanting a really good grilled fish topped with some texture and layered flavor....

• Like 1

I like Rubios fish tacos. They do have breaded and fried fish, but it's good. It's served in a corn tortilla with shredded cabbage and this yummy spicy white sauce stuff and and if you get Fish Tacos Especial you can get it with guacamole.
  • Like 2

Gymnast broke another Christmas ornament. I think I'm going to put away the ornaments and other decorations, just leaving the tree with lights. Did I mention that Gymnast had broken the ornament that had her handprint on it from when she was 4? :crying: That was a sad moment.

Oh Renai! I am so sorry!
  • Like 1

A friend's bullet-journal.

I just need her to make me my bullet-journal every month.

Also, I am failing miserably in the "finish my school-planner" category. Can you tell?

That is really nice. I love artistic people. I've been having a lot of fun with mine. It's not a fancy schmancy bullet journal book, I just made a decorative cover for a composition book I bought for $0.88 @ The Walmart, and the pens I use are just regular colored ball point type pens, but I have been having fun. I've needed something to take my mind off things and to have fun with.

I have been spending a lot of time on line looking at bullet journal websites and I need to stop that now. I can get discouraged. But I also don't want to add in a lot of collections and trackers and stuff I won't use. If I have too many trackers I may feel like I'm trying to micromanage my life.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

Did you ever figure this out? Did someone tell you how? I looked, but I may have missed it. "Mommy, can you make me a pony tail? Make it a smooth ponytail. You make such good pony tails. Can you help me make ponytails for my daughter? And for my wedding? And can you help me find a wedding dress?" My 6 year old daughter just came in.

Anyhow, to multi-quote... Look down at the quote thing. It says quote and then multi quote. Hit multiquote. A little black box will show up in the corner saying you are quoting one post. Then just hit multiquote on the other posts you want to quote. It will keep track for you. Then, when you want to reply, hit the reply to quotes button in that new little box and there you go.

If you already figured this out, then disregard the previous paragraph.

Yes, I know how to do that on my laptop. But I was on my phone and I don't remember how to multi-quote with Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Gymnast has literally been bouncing from one sofa to another. I just heard her crying and she was holding her arm. Thankfully, it doesn't look broken, and the initial pain/weakness seems to have subsided. All I could imagine was spending time in urgent care on NYE. She is called Gymnast for a reason.

Oh no! Poor Gymnast! And poor Renai! That does not sound like a fun way to spend NYE. Hope she's alright.

I'm taking her to urgent care.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Gymnast has literally been bouncing from one sofa to another. I just heard her crying and she was holding her arm. Thankfully, it doesn't look broken, and the initial pain/weakness seems to have subsided. All I could imagine was spending time in urgent care on NYE.  She is called Gymnast for a reason.

When I was 6 I came home from doing gymnastics on by BFF's front lawn, holding my arm and crying.   2 hours later, when my mom and her best friend from down the street were finally done with coffee, she noticed I was still on the couch, holding my arm.  Um, yep.  Broken.  In 3 places. 

But I got a stinky cast out of it which I kept on my shelf or a very long time.  :lol:

ETA:  Just saw your update and I'm glad you've taken her in.  :grouphug:

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3