Menu

Ignore this thread!

No, it wasn't plaster. It was one of those regular glass ball ornaments. It was blue, with her handprint in white paint. The fingers were decorated like snowmen, and the palm was the snow hill the snowmen were sitting on. It shattered.  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  It was so tiny and cute.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Gymnast has literally been bouncing from one sofa to another. I just heard her crying and she was holding her arm. Thankfully, it doesn't look broken, and the initial pain/weakness seems to have subsided. All I could imagine was spending time in urgent care on NYE.  She is called Gymnast for a reason.

Hmmm, she's still holding her arm...

I'm reading on to see if a later post has an update....

• Like 1

What do you use for TX history?

We did partly a 7th-grade textbook a cousin's school used (Glencoe's Texas & Texans.  It was okay.), A Cartoon History of Texas (okay as far as it went, but mostly just snippets), Texas: A Historical Atlas (VERY nice, but rather heavy slogging on the reading for DD12, so we are using it for reference and maps), and I gave DD12 her choice of other books I had picked up -- she chose Texas: A Compact History and seems to like it well enough.

She did Texas history last year (with the atlas and then the textbook) and we fizzled on it towards the latter quarter of the year, so we decided to continue with it this year with a change of reading materials.

• Like 2

When I was 6 I came home from doing gymnastics on by BFF's front lawn, holding my arm and crying.   2 hours later, when my mom and her best friend from down the street were finally done with coffee, she noticed I was still on the couch, holding my arm.  Um, yep.  Broken.  In 3 places. 

But I got a stinky cast out of it which I kept on my shelf or a very long time.  :lol:

ETA:  Just saw your update and I'm glad you've taken her in.  :grouphug:

:grouphug:

When the eldest daughter of some old college friends was 3 or 4 she was outside her Grandma's house playing when she fell off of something and hurt her arm.  She calmly picked herself up, and started wandering around looking for her mother.  Several other adults in the family saw her wandering around and asked her what she needed, and she simply told them she was looking for her mother.  When she finally found her mother she broke out in a loud, dramatic wail and ran to her mother, dramatically cradling the injured arm and screaming about the pain.

It was a couple of hours later (arm now visibly swollen and child still whimpering and clinging to Mom) when the adults realized she wasn't just pulling dramatics for her mother's benefit, and took her in to get assessed.  Yup!  Broken arm.  

• Like 4

Ok, so my creative juices are flowing. First, I tackeld a project I've been wanting to do for a while. We have an open floor plan and these really high ceilings. But then the kitchen ceiling isn't quite as high, so at the transition they built this ledge thingie way high up so you can put decorative stuff up there. I put all sorts of stuff up there when we moved in and it looked cool, but now, after 13 years it had about an inch of dust and a bunch of spider webs on it. So, I got up on a ladder this afternoon and took it all down and washed it and vacuumed. I didn't replace it because dust and spider webs and ladders. But what I found was a ton of seashells and sea glass and pebbles. So, I found different 4 sized jars and filled them with pebbles and shells, and got some candles and made a mantel.... whatever...on my fireplace mantel. With the jars filled with shells and pebbles and the candles and random shells scattered about (did I tell you I had a ton of shells?). It looks very natural and beachy chic. I am very proud of myself. This sort of thing does not come naturally. But I think yesterday all my work on my bullet journal released some stress and caused the creative side of my brain to wake up, stretch and have a cup of coffee.

Good job!

• Like 1

There's a hummingbird at the feeder. I love hummingbirds.

So does Snowflake kitty!

MIL has a female hummingbird still hanging around at her house.  I guess the little lady couldn't continue on with the others during the fall migration, and she found a nice place where someone keeps filling the plastic flower and putting it back out.

Now, despite my love of cooler weather, I have reason to pray for a mild winter that doesn't kill off all of the little bugs.  She needs more than just sugar water if she is going to live here all winter.

• Like 1

:iagree:

I missed the part about her eating it with a flour tortilla. Flour tortillas does not equal a taco. I still don't understand that.

Anyway, Even better than lettuce, is using very finely chopped raw cabbage. So crunchy and good.

MIL keeps saying we need to eat cabbage on New Year's Day.  I think I have some napa cabbage that is still good.  And we have plenty of leftovers to make nachos and flour-tortilla-taco-ish things.

DD12's braces mean she doesn't get to eat the crunchy corn chips, so no nachos for her.  But she chose flour tortillas at the store yesterday evening....  

• Like 2

So, urgent care only took us 30 minutes!

I told the doctor about her nurse's elbow history, because it's the same arm. He said kids usually grow out of it by this age, but noted she was holding her arm like one afflicted with it. Nothing is broken, slightly swollen, so probably bruised. It hurts when she moves it.

I told him thanks, I was just checking because of her history, and I didn't want to wake up on New Year's having to go into the emergency room. He chuckled and said he would be there at urgent care and NOT to go to the emergency room if I think I need to bring her in. But, call first to see if they have x-ray open.

So, we're just doing ice and Tylenol. Due to Dancer's ibuprofen allergy, we don't keep it in the house and the allergist told us to keep it from Gymnast just in case.

So relieved!  That's a good urgent care clinic.  I hope it gets better quickly and doesn't need anything further.

• Like 2

Fresh tortillas matter too!  There is a huge difference from two week old mass produced tortillas and fresh off the griddle handmade ones.

I agree, fresh always trumps mass-produced.  Unfortunately ofttimes the mass produced is what we have the time and resources for.  

• Like 1

I used to make flour tortillas after grinding my wheat for them. Everyone kept eating them as I took them off the press! I rarely had any left to serve with a meal.

DH at one point was deliberating whether to get a Rotimatic in order to have such freshly-made things.

• Like 1

What are there 6 of? Just go with me on this.

Eggs in each row of an egg carton

sides (or points) to a hexagon

sides to a cube

beats to a measure in 6/8 time

five, six, pick up sticks

• Like 4

I got tons of quality books from thrift stores, library sales, the homeschool consignment shop, used books online IF they weren't at the library for free.

Project Gutenberg has an app for phones and tablets.  Lots of free public domain stuff there.

• Like 2

That sounds nasty.  Who woulda thunk it?

The Mediterrean thing sounds lovely to me.

I am now officially motivated to find out what snickerdoodles actually are, and how to make them.

Full marks for being virtuous!

You are so seriously cool!

We officially finished all the leftovers today.  Which means I have to actually fix dinner! Outrageous!

Glad to hear he is feeling better.

I hope Dancer is on the mend soon. Pity about the little handprint getting broken.

My kids finally seem to have grown out of breaking quite so many things. But we do have a Sad Nativity Donkey who only has one ear.

Our excitement of the day is that The Bloke has a broken nose. (No, he wasn't in a fight. And no, he wasn't drunk. Ms. 8 accidentally bashed him on the nose.)

Happy New Year, Isabel!!!!

I hope The Bloke's nose mends soon!  Tell him to create imaginative tales of heroism and daring when people ask him what happened.

• Like 2

Hmm, just realised that since it is 2017, I should be updated the kids in my siggy...

That's right!  Your school year isn't cut in the middle by the change of year, is it?  

I'm rather jealous....

Happy New Year from the central time zone!

Should auld booyas be forgot(ten)

And never brought to mind?

Should auld booyahs be forgot(ten)

And auld lang booya!

For auld lang booya, my dear

For auld lang booyah.

We'll take a cup of coffee with peppermint mocha creamer yet,

And auld lang booya!

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

I still have two hours to go. Libby is shaking because of some early bird fireworks.

There there, Libby.

ILs' dogs did NOT want to go out to go potty before bed last night.  MIL had to walk out there with them to get them to do their business, and then they RACED back to the door when they were done.

I had shut our cat inside while we were gone to ILs' yesterday evening.  She was quite adamant about wanting out when we got home so I let her successfully "sneak" out the door.  While we were unloading stuff from the car she kept going back in, then out, then back in, then out.  When we were done DH whistled for the cat and she came running.  She did NOT approve of the racket last night.

• Like 2

That's what we usually do, except we were in the middle of our movie. I imagine we'll go to bed soon (it's just after 10:00 PST) and then wake up at midnight when our neighbor lights off his fireworks, kiss, wish each other a Happy New Year, roll over and go back to sleep. Woohoo, we are such party animals!

This would have been my choice, but I have kids old enough to want to stay up and ILs and a DH who are willing to accommodate that.

• Like 2

Happy New Year! Younger ds convinced us to play a game with him, so that's how we're ringing in the new year!

Before watching Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children we played Adventuretime Munchkin (to DD15's glee and the adults' confusion and frustration), and then we played a round of the Archaeology card game (think pothunting, not archaeology) DD12 bought me for Christmas.  The Archaeology game went over better after the interminable reading of the instructions, and FIL almost managed to win.  DH pulled it off instead, but FIL was a close second.  I might be able to get people to play that game with me again.

• Like 2

My mom called after telling me to go to Hell 4 months ago. She asked if I wanted to kiss and make up and I said no. I don't think she saw that coming. She was rather drunk and hung up. I hope I don't here from her again until she gets help. That's usually the next step after I give up on her. Goodnight again!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Hang in there.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

It in 4:30 am and I am still awake because I am in a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad" flare. If you need me, I will be visiting Isabel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Happy New Year to all the lovely ITTers.

I'm declaring this the Year of the Caffeinated Beverages in honor of the Coffee and Tea drinkers of ITT.

Also, there is no sickness or injury allowed for any ITTer or family member.

We will say no to all extraneous projects which is deemed unworthy of our time.

We will take time to ITT, write, bullet journal, garden, read, and any other pleasurable activity without guilt.

Pantz are optional. :D

:hurray:  :hurray:   Hear hear!!!!

• Like 1

Whaaaasaat? $3500+ for two weeks of summer camp. Granted it's allergy-friendly. But.....um, no.

#sad

#allergiessuck

#I'mNotRich

:huh:

I guess they serve them fine dining personally and individually crafted by their own dedicated chef, on bone china with crystal stemware and real silver service.

• Like 3

6 sounds for /ough/.....

(dough, through, rough, cough, thought, bough)

Ain't our English language wonderful?

Hey hey!  Booya(h)!

As a bonus:  do you know how to pronounce "ghoti"?

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 5

I am a tradition killer today.

I grew up with sauerkraut every New Year's.  

Nope.  I'm done.

When MIL asked me if we have cabbage for today I told her I have a jar of sauerkraut in the fridge!

And then I went on to explain how many people who find sauerkraut too strong do actually like winekraut.  MIL then supposed the differences must be akin to wine (winekraut) and vinegar (sauerkraut).

I now have a hankering for pork chops baked on top of sauerkraut seasoned with carraway seeds....

• Like 3

DH and I just got back from a little trip out and when we came back we found a group of nine bantam chickens roaming around at the top of the road. As far as I know, no one has bantams in that area. And they appear to be all roosters. Very friendly birds--they came right up to us. We did leave them in case they do belong to someone in the area, but we will head back up there before dark with food, and if they are still milling around looking lost, we'll do a spot of chicken catching.

• Like 4

We have no New Years Day traditions. For our holiday lunch we had totally inauthentic gyros, made with shredded chicken, homemade tzatziki sauce, and eaten in flour tortillas because they were out of pita bread at the store except for these fold-over pita flats that cost $3.50/pkg. It was yummy anyway.

We are out of ice cream, but there is plenty of chocolate sauce left in the fridge. It is fudgey and delicious.

• Like 6

Not when you tell them during selection that you think he's guilty. Defense will pass on you and you're outta there!

That happened to me once. It was a drug case, though. I told them the guy who raped me was a drug addict. They said it had nothing to do with sexual assault. I said it didn't matter to me what he did; it has to do with drugs and I'd already had a bad experience with someone who was into drugs. I didn't last very long. Then again, I think he took a deal by the end of the day.

• Like 3

Neither can I!

Or the voice of Rerun from another show. He said it, too.

Eta: I googled since I couldn't remember. It was " what's happening?"

That's the other one I was thinking of but couldn't remember! I was too lazy to look it up because I was on my phone.