Menu

Ignore this thread!

I have jury duty on Wednesday.

Cool. Maybe you'll get a murder case.

Or you could narrowly miss being on a 2 week case involving an optometrist (or some such sort of doctor) suing his accountant. Like me last summer. Can you imagine sitting through a case like that?

• Like 3

G'day,

Snow bunny is the cutest thing ever. What did the rabbit think of the snow?

I love sauerkraut.  I'm going to make some as soon as I find a suitable crock to do it in (our old one cracked). We don't use vinegar, though, just cabbage, salt, and fermentation.

I would love to do jury duty, even if it wasn't an exciting case. I must have a deeply buried sense of power hunger?!  Although it would be super inconvenient, with the kids and all. 
Renai, you should have just taken out a contract on the, um, bad man (I have resolved to talk more Lady Like this year; it's f-in' hard though!) 

I didn't remember what the Mandela effect was, but now I looked it up, and I think I'm going to get obsessed with it too!

The last few posts went over my head because I don't speak Sports.

Kids and I are going shopping today: grocery shopping and op shopping (Ms. 8 and I cleared out all the clothes that either don't fit her or she refuses to wear, and she now doesn't have enough clothes because we chucked more than half of them!).  The Bloke is still languishing in bed with his broken nose, although he insists he's going to work tomorrow.  We'll see... (oh and I will pass on the suggestion re tales of heroism and daring LOL)

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 10

I am making myself do stuff because even though moving is the LAST thing in the world I want to do, it actually is better for me.  So I went with Rocky and dd to the nearby park where Rocky chased tennis balls in the snow and dd made the snow bunny.  I helped dd to bring Bailey out later for her first snow experience.  And I've cleaned the kitchen.  And I spent one half hour downstairs in the Schoolroom of Doom (AKA The Hoarder's Paradise) where we went through two shelves of a small cart.  Unfortunately I'm keeping most of it!  And now I'm going to go out for errands on New Year's Day because kids say we need stuff and it is one more excuse to make myself get up.  (For those of you who think I do nonstop work, I've played numerous games of Candy Crush Saga, a hidden object game on my phone and have taken a nap and eaten too many gluten-free Joe-Joes (which I don't totally like but ate anyway).  I still only have taken 1650 steps today. 

• Like 8

I asked DD15 if she had put away all of her clean laundry.  After lots of stuttering and stammering, "I need more space."  This, from the girl whose closet bars are nearly completely bare.

I headed upstairs to help her deal with that.  She had stuff tossed on a closet shelf overhead.  She had all drawers stuffed beyond capacity with wadded (not folded) clothing.  She had things still in a pile behind her desk chair (wadded and still damp in spots), and a laundry basket 3/4 full.  She even had crammed "Monkey's closet" (the little cubby behind a door in her dresser, in which she keeps things she sewed for her stuffed Monkey) full of her wadded clothing.

We sorted it ALL out.  We hung clothes, including all of the long pants she was storing in her dresser.  We refolded and talked about how FOLDED clothing fits better in drawers than wadded, AND it's easier to find stuff.  (Plenty of "oh, that's where that is" comments).

I also informed her that even after hanging all of the hanging stuff AND her long pants she still has ample bar space left.  I pointed out that if folding things properly, like pajamas, is too much hassle she COULD, just suggesting here, try hanging them in her closet instead.

I think I have forestalled more complaints about laundry and clothing storage for a few months now.  Not that I expect her to follow my suggestions -- she's most likely to resist authority on that.  No, she just won't tell me and will go back to stuffing things everywhere so she doesn't have to put in any thought or effort like she just had to do with me standing there.  Then, once she has forgotten the lesson of asking-Mom-for-help-will-result-in-good-advice-that-nonetheless-requires-effort, she will ask me for help again.

#unreasonablemomwon'tbuyabiggerhouseandletherkidshavemorestoragespace

#ourclosetsareallplentybigalready

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 5

I've done jury duty once. When I lived in The Big City, I could claim exemption because of homeschooling, but my current town/county doesn't allow that. When I was in a jury, it was for a drug dealing case that involved an informant/sting and 1st time offender. The drug dealing was going on in a small market a few blocks from my house.

• Like 3

I've done jury duty once. When I lived in The Big City, I could claim exemption because of homeschooling, but my current town/county doesn't allow that. When I was in a jury, it was for a drug dealing case that involved an informant/sting and 1st time offender. The drug dealing was going on in a small market a few blocks from my house.

I'm a bit jealous about the case but not about the proximity of events to you and yours.  The only jury I have been on has been for traffic court.  Even after I showed the other jurors, on the map in our deliberation room, how events could NOT have happened the way the kid claimed they did they all still voted to let him off "because he looks like such a NICE young man".  That was the opinion of a few ladies on the jury, and all of the men went along with it because they just wanted to be over and done.  They even said they will go along with whatever because they didn't want to be there any longer than they had to be.

• Like 3

She had stuff tossed on a closet shelf overhead. She had all drawers stuffed beyond capacity with wadded (not folded) clothing. She had things still in a pile behind her desk chair (wadded and still damp in spots), and a laundry basket 3/4 full.

#

It is good to know my kids aren't the only ones...sigh. :D

• Like 3

I think I told this story before but I was called when my kids were 6 and 2.  I got Gma and Gpa who even then were showing some beginning signs of dementia to watch them.  I was chosen for the jury pool for a big domestic violence/child abuse case along with my neighbor.  I asked to be excused because of homeschooling / childcare issues.  The judge told me "you can homeschool during the evening and weekends.  And grandparents are there to watch your kids even if you don't think they do the best job."  The prosecutor tried to throw me out on the grounds that "homeschoolers hate government authority" but didn't have enough challenges left to do so.  (I would have welcomed that!)  I was in the jury selection process for days (this was a big trial that lasted for months) and started to have nightmares due to my own DV background.  I ended up being excused in the end.  My neighbor was on the trial.  He told me that they found the defendant guilty and that some of the evidence was pretty graphic. 

• Like 3

I was in the jury selection process for days (this was a big trial that lasted for months) and started to have nightmares due to my own DV background. I ended up being excused in the end. My neighbor was on the trial. He told me that they found the defendant guilty and that some of the evidence was pretty graphic.

It's a good thing you were excused in the end. :grouphug:

I now have nine bantam chickens roosting in my garage. Having been fed and watered and pampered with leaf spinach and an apple for pecking, they are now all bundled balls of feathers on top of the pens...I was going to incarcerate them in the pens tonight, but they seem pretty happy on top, and the garage is closed so they are safe in there. Better than ending up as coyote bait.

• Like 5

As a bonus:  do you know how to pronounce "ghoti"?

Fish.

Whaaaasaat? $3500+ for two weeks of summer camp. Granted it's allergy-friendly. But.....um, no.

#sad

#allergiessuck

#I'mNotRich

Um, do they burn it down at the end of every two weeks and rebuild the whole thing to prevent cross-contamination??

• Like 9

On a happier note, my mom and I went to an Open House this afternoon at a historic house in our town. It actually stands at the corner of the street that leads into our subdivision. It's 110 years old and the new owners have restored it. It is just gorgeous. I have spent my entire life in this town and have always wanted to see the inside of that house, so I finally have. Now I can die a happy and fulfilled woman. Not that I am planning on dying any time soon.

• Like 8

I think I told this story before but I was called when my kids were 6 and 2.  I got Gma and Gpa who even then were showing some beginning signs of dementia to watch them.  I was chosen for the jury pool for a big domestic violence/child abuse case along with my neighbor.  I asked to be excused because of homeschooling / childcare issues.  The judge told me "you can homeschool during the evening and weekends.  And grandparents are there to watch your kids even if you don't think they do the best job."  The prosecutor tried to throw me out on the grounds that "homeschoolers hate government authority" but didn't have enough challenges left to do so.  (I would have welcomed that!)  I was in the jury selection process for days (this was a big trial that lasted for months) and started to have nightmares due to my own DV background.  I ended up being excused in the end.  My neighbor was on the trial.  He told me that they found the defendant guilty and that some of the evidence was pretty graphic. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I'm glad you didn't have to sit through that.  

I did get called when I was pregnant once.  When asked questions I told the court I would NOT be impartial or objective if the case involved a child in any way due to hormonal fluctuations.  I also told them I was sleeping poorly and needed frequent bathroom breaks.  I then expressed an interest in hearing about most any other criminal case, just so long as a child was not harmed nor involved in any way, and admitted to my liking of reading mystery novels.

I didn't get selected.  I guess they didn't want a talkative juror.

Hah!  Selected for BOOYAH!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 9

Nobody is taking this thread seriously!

I was watching Hello, Dolly.  Now I want to go to the Harmonia Gardens in New York and spill something just to watch the broom brigade come out and do their number!

• Like 2

So, what's a good name for an orange striped kitty who is now a regular at the feeding bowl?

I like Chester. We're having a debate right now. Nobody can decide. I also like Rick. Rick the Cat.

Abraham de Lacy Giuseppe Casey Thomas O'Malley

• Like 6

Time for bed.  Today DH cured our house of Christmas Pox.  Tomorrow the kids get to pack up all of the rest of the Christmas lights.

One more night for me to enjoy the Christmas tree lamp and light-up houses.  *sigh*

Goodnight, everyone!  Have a good day, Isabel!

• Like 6