Menu

Ignore this thread!

What are you going to make your sound baffle out of?  I was up at 4:30 am this morning reading up on sound-absorbing curtains.  Noise control really grabs my attention right now....

Actually, it was your post that got me figuring out what to do. I just need a temporary sound barrier that I can move out of the way every morning for a week or so. I'm going with straw bales. They have a good rating for sound muffling ability, and in my case, they are extremely practical for the situation. I have endless uses for straw when I'm done with the bales. I'm putting them up against the door. Because the door opens inward, all I have to do in the morning is shove the bales out of my way, and I can easily pull them into place at night. Should work like a charm.

• Like 2

We have incredibly laid-back holidays here. No extra work.

DH always takes care of presents for his Dad and his brothers.  I am supposed to pick out presents for MIL and our SILs for birthdays, and MIL for Mother's Day and Christmas.  I also get to make impromptu arrangements for whatever the kids plan on doing for me, and usually end up involved in food prep and kitchen clean-up, especially on Mother's Day (trying to make sure MIL isn't doing it all).

Since the guys always pick suppers that involve us mothers in the work somehow on Mother's Day I don't feel guilty declaring grilled suppers on Father's Day.  I don't think any of the men in this family can relinquish their grill if they are around at the time of grilling.

All in all I don't resent any of it (though I did pitch a fit at the guys outside one Mother's Day when MIL was slaving away in the kitchen trying to feed the whole mob while both SILs and I were going nuts trying to keep an eye on all of the kids, who were all little enough to need watching back then.  The guys were off doing "guy stuff" together outside.).  

Regardless of that fit I really don't resent the work involved in days honoring me/us mothers.  I have family, and they love me!  Despite whatever grouching and complaining I might feel coming on for a moment they are all worth every ounce of effort.  Every dad-blasted bit.

• Like 2

Actually, it was your post that got me figuring out what to do. I just need a temporary sound barrier that I can move out of the way every morning for a week or so. I'm going with straw bales. They have a good rating for sound muffling ability, and in my case, they are extremely practical for the situation. I have endless uses for straw when I'm done with the bales. I'm putting them up against the door. Because the door opens inward, all I have to do in the morning is shove the bales out of my way, and I can easily pull them into place at night. Should work like a charm.

Sounds great!

Too bad for me -- I don't think DH would be impressed with straw bales stacked in front of our bedroom windows....

• Like 1

We are still doing school. Getting back to work is always such a drag.

I lectured the kids firmly this morning about how we are going to be knuckling down and really digging in, now that we have started up again.  As we were finishing up the last of class time, before the girls could get started on independent work, Grandma & Grandpa called asking who wanted to go to a movie.  Of course I said they could go.  And right after we finished class one cousin who is still on winter break this week was skyping DD12, desperately bored and needing his go-to-never-fail cousin to come online and play.

DD15 proceeded to do independent work, however.  She even did MATH.  I had handed her a Key to Algebra book and told her I wanted the first 6 pages done by tomorrow.  She liked it because it was easy.

(I have a cunning plan.  I let her do the parts of the books she already knows, and she thinks it's easy and doesn't fight the new materials when it starts getting into the stuff she's sure she will never get.)

• Like 3

No, I think in your case I'd look at industrial sound barrier curtains.

One of the places online reviewed several curtains that claimed to be noise-reducing, and pointed out what they did and did not like about them.  This website also proceeded to also state good things to do with curtains to improve their ability to deal with sound, things like getting HEAVY curtains, with surfaces that have lots of fiber ends (like suede or velvet), maybe adding a light-blocking liner to reflect street noise into the street, and getting curtain panels that are 2.5-3 times as wide as the window so the curtains look full and pleated even when fully closed (more folds equals more ability to absorb sound and keep it from bouncing about).  They also said that getting the curtains set up to cover several inches above, below, and to both sides of the window also helps contain noise.

They also had a section on how to sound-reduce a garage for a garage band to practice in.  Acoustic pads to hang on the walls and ceiling are quite popular, but can be expensive.  They recommend moving blankets -- not the cheap paper ones, but good quilted ones, nice and heavy.  Moving blankets are much less expensive than acoustic pads, apparently, and easily found in many places.

• Like 2

Several noise pollution resource sites also mentioned good weatherstripping around windows and doors as help in preventing sounds from getting through.

Very true.  Also having decent windows instead of the cheap things they put in this house.  Sometimes I wish for a storm to do enough damage to justify window replacement.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for amazon to deliver my package. I'm out of blue ink, and I need to print stuff.

BTW, if you have an epson color printer, Prime Pantry runs a killer price on ink.

I'm out of blue ink, too. Hmm, must be a thing. But I just ordered it today, so I guess we won't be printing for a day or two.
  • Like 1

We started back today lightly. And lived to tell. Woo-hoo! DS had a nice day back today too. :cheers2: Cheers all around!

Our first day back was decent, too. No complaints. Now I'm eating salad for an afternoon snack. I veered crazily off low-carb over the holidays. Now, it's time to get back on it. I'm just glad The Walmart had avocados for $0.58 each. I love avocados in my salad.
  • Like 3

It is cold. We are having chili.

It'd sort of cold here, too, but it's overcast. A storm is blowing in. One of those Pineapple Express storms we've been getting. I've just been cold all day long. I threw some meatballs into the crock pot with a bottle of Chili Sauce and a can of cranberry sauce and let it cook all day long. The fam likes it, and it's easy. It's one of those recipes we got at the sample station at The Walmart.
  • Like 1

What records do you keep for elementary?

My state requires a "record of instructional days" [attendance calendar], annual standardized test results and a vaccination record. I think that's enough. If the world came crashing to a halt and DS suddenly had to enroll in a school, they'd place him by his birth date regardless of what we had to show them.

That said, I plan to transition to having DS do more in composition books, and keep at least some of them for a long time. The improvement in his handwriting from September to today is impressive to both of us.

• Like 3

What records do you keep for elementary?

Are records for elementary even required where you are?

I've just been writing down in a weekly planner what we have done each day.

• Like 2

It'd sort of cold here, too, but it's overcast. A storm is blowing in. One of those Pineapple Express storms we've been getting. I've just been cold all day long. I threw some meatballs into the crock pot with a bottle of Chili Sauce and a can of cranberry sauce and let it cook all day long. The fam likes it, and it's easy. It's one of those recipes we got at the sample station at The Walmart.

Would that be like Wolf Chili or similar, a meat chili but no beans?  Jellied cranberry sauce or whole berry?

Would that be like Wolf Chili or similar, a meat chili but no beans? Jellied cranberry sauce or whole berry?

No, it makes a kind of BBQ sauce. You use the chili sauce you find on the grocery store shelf right next to the cocktail sauce. And it's the jellied cranberry sauce. I think it's a variation on the 1970's version with grape jelly instead of cranberry sauce.
  • Like 2

So, I took Gymnast back to the clinic for a follow-up. The doctor can manipulate her arm all kinds of ways, she just can't do it herself. He had her give high-fives. She couldn't do that either. He mentioned that she moves her shoulder the same way an adult does when they have rotator cuff issues. So, he was going to give her an ortho referral and let us go. Then, he came back and wanted to check her clavicle, and then decided to go ahead and do the x-ray on the elbow because, kids and elbows. Nothing showed up on the xray as far as breaks or fractures, hairline or otherwise. He's thinking it has to do with tendons or ligaments (that was also my conclusion before I went), and that will get better with time. We were able to see her growth plates in her arms. It was cool. he still gave us a referral to an ortho, so I'll be calling tomorrow.

• Like 7

While I had dd6 and dd8 with me this afternoon, I had a good opportunity to explain to them a little about our genetic disorder.  Dd8 had some good questions.  Neither of them seemed to be bothered by the information, for which I am very grateful.

They are both very small for their age -- especially dd6.  She intrigues strangers because she seems like a very mature 4-year-old (with bi-focals).

I told them that they have some doctors that the other kids don't have, but they both saw that as a good thing because they both  :001_wub: their cardiologist.

• Like 8

I had a (not very) fun afternoon.

The two littles needed x-rays and bloodwork.   :svengo:

We lived to tell the tale.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   What is the verdict?

No, it makes a kind of BBQ sauce. You use the chili sauce you find on the grocery store shelf right next to the cocktail sauce. And it's the jellied cranberry sauce. I think it's a variation on the 1970's version with grape jelly instead of cranberry sauce.

Oh, the condiment sauce!  Like Tabasco or others of that ilk.

BBQ meatballs does sound good....

• Like 1

So, I took Gymnast back to the clinic for a follow-up. The doctor can manipulate her arm all kinds of ways, she just can't do it herself. He had her give high-fives. She couldn't do that either. He mentioned that she moves her shoulder the same way an adult does when they have rotator cuff issues. So, he was going to give her an ortho referral and let us go. Then, he came back and wanted to check her clavicle, and then decided to go ahead and do the x-ray on the elbow because, kids and elbows. Nothing showed up on the xray as far as breaks or fractures, hairline or otherwise. He's thinking it has to do with tendons or ligaments (that was also my conclusion before I went), and that will get better with time. We were able to see her growth plates in her arms. It was cool. he still gave us a referral to an ortho, so I'll be calling tomorrow.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1