Menu

Favorite "Waiting in an Exam Room" Toys for Littles

wendyroo

We are going to have a lot of doctors' appointments coming up that the kids are going to have to sit through.  Spencer (18 months) will spend most of the time strapped in the stroller with plastic animals and board books; he will be fine watching the big boys.  It is for the older two (almost 4 and almost 6) that I am looking for some new ideas.  I like holding in reserve some fun, cool (clean, quiet, portable, independent) toys and activities that are only pulled out when we head to the doctor.

We have one pack of Pop Bead Critters which the boys love and fight over and I would buy more in a heartbeat if they were available.  Do you know of any other reusable craft like that to make bugs or monsters or dinosaurs rather than jewelry or decorations?

Neither of my boys are big colorers, and we've tried sticker books (both cheap ones and the reusable vinyl stickers), but there is a lot of whining: "Mom, I can't get the sticker off."  "Mom, the sticker ripped."  "Mom, the sticker won't stick."  "Mom, the sticker stuck in the wrong spot."

What about wiki sticks?  We've never had them - will they keep your 4 or 6 year old independently entertained for a while?  Do you need a table or hard surface to play with them on?

Any other ideas for the 4 year old?  He spends a lot of time in waiting rooms during Peter's counseling, and I'm always looking for ways to make that more bearable.  I'm able to be somewhat involved/helpful with whatever he is doing, but at the same time I have to be dealing with Spencer and keeping him happy enough that he is not screaming down the waiting room.

I welcome any and all ideas.

Thanks,

Wendy

Mini Etch-a-sketch, silly putty, magnets - we had a metal case that came with themed magnets so you could set up a scene and then play with them - I think we had astronauts and horse sets, wooden puzzles, small toys (cars, plastic soldiers).

We weren't huge fans of the wiki-sticks, but some people love them.  Do they play games together?  Go Fish or Memory?  It would be easy to take along a deck of cards.  

In limited situations I have had luck with read-alouds, but that can add some variety if nothing else.

Maybe magnetic games like Magic Cabin, or tangrams, etc.

We had a big book of paper monsters that you punched out, folded on the lines and glued. The assembly would be you, though. There was another book of paper airplanes...

If you have an ipad or old phone (and the places have free wi fi) I would let them take turns playing on that.

Depending on the place (and germ level) you could bring little cars or animals to play with on the floor, 

Timberdoodle has a lot of neat hand held and portable educational type toys/games.  Wedgits are fun but a bit larger so might be harder to take with you.

Are there lots of other kids in the waiting room where sharing, etc. might be an issue?

I try to keep a few Hot Wheels cars in my purse for waiting emergencies.  I also hoard those little packs of crayons you get at restaurants so I usually have some on hand.  Now that I have an emerging reader I also try to carry a small Level 1 book or two for impromptu reading practice.

Mini Etch-a-sketch, silly putty, magnets - we had a metal case that came with themed magnets so you could set up a scene and then play with them - I think we had astronauts and horse sets, wooden puzzles, small toys (cars, plastic soldiers).

We weren't huge fans of the wiki-sticks, but some people love them.  Do they play games together?  Go Fish or Memory?  It would be easy to take along a deck of cards.  

The "four year old" (who isn't even four quite yet) isn't ready for card games yet.  The six year old can handle card and board games just fine intellectually, but he has autism, so that kind of back-and-forth social play requires a lot of adult supervision and support.

I will definitely look into the magnets.  That seems like it could have the advantages of sticker books without the disadvantages of stickers.

Wendy

I'm not a huge fan of Wikki Stix in public places because they're sticky enough to attract dirt, lint, and everything else. That said, my kids do like to play with them. If you get a set that includes a playbook (Wiggles, Squiggles, and Curlicues is our favorite -- http://www.amazon.com/Wikki-Stix-Wiggles-Squiggles-Curlicues/dp/0974665207/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1425390978&sr=8-5&keywords=wikki+stix), you could keep them contained and have a ready-to-go work surface.

We keep an activity bag in the van for times when we're stuck waiting somewhere. It includes ...

• Melissa & Doug Travel Memory Game
  • Wild Animals Magnetic Story and Play Scene
  • Mighty Mind
  • small set of Artec blocks
  • Slinky Jr.
  • cheap yoyo puffer balls from Oriental Trading Company
  • wipe-off maze book
  • wipe-off dot-to-dot book
  • dry erase crayons w/ microfiber cleaning wrap in zipper pencil case
  • balloon ball with balloons I can blow up whenever we have space to run around
  • deck of Brainquest cards
  • I Spy book
  • The Little Book of Farmyard Tales (small, but has several stories)
  • a couple of interactive board books for DS

We also have an iPad, and if we have a really long wait, I'll let my girls take turns do activities or quietly watching a show on it. 

• Like 1

If you have an ipad or old phone (and the places have free wi fi) I would let them take turns playing on that.

Depending on the place (and germ level) you could bring little cars or animals to play with on the floor, 

Timberdoodle has a lot of neat hand held and portable educational type toys/games.  Wedgits are fun but a bit larger so might be harder to take with you.

Are there lots of other kids in the waiting room where sharing, etc. might be an issue?

So far when we are waiting for Peter during counseling there are rarely other kids in the waiting area.  We are switching to a new psych clinic though, and I don't know what that be like.  Honestly, if there were other kids I would be thrilled to bring enough cars or dinosaurs for everybody because it would make the time go quicker for my kids.

Wendy

Yes to the little magnetic play sets that look like a little book with magnets. Maybe Colorforms too?

My 3.5yo has been packing Duplo or Playskool Clipo blocks (http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-09395-Playskool-Figure-Bucket/dp/B0016H7N42/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1425393277&sr=8-6&keywords=Playskool+blocks) in his backpack for using during the big kids' martial arts class, and he and his little brother have gotten a lot of miles out of them.

Hot Wheels cars, for sure. The Toobs of plastic animals. EtchaSketch. MagnaDoodle. I thought there was a WaterDoodle set too -- no mess. Books with mazes.

Books like the I Spy ones or others with something to do or look for.

I've resorted to screen time when all else failed when we were doing weekly speech therapy, so two hours in a waiting room every week as the big boys each had an hour with the therapist. Sometimes, you just need to make it through. I'm sorry for whatever your family is going through that will mean lots of doctors and waiting rooms.

Unfortunately we spend more time than I want to admit to at various doctors appointments and these have been our favorites:

dinosaurs and ponies from the dollar bin at Target - I buy 3 or 4 bags at a time so if they get lost.

Innotab or leap pad.  My children have both and we only use it for medical appointments.  I also bought kids noise reducing headphones to go with them.

dice

paperclips - I bought a package of the colorful ones.  They twist them into all kinds of shapes. 

Index cards with a sticker at the top so they are "puppets".  This works really well if the stickers match a story that you read to them. 

If some of the visits are a standard amount of time, is it possible to leave the waiting room? Not get in the car and go, just leave the waiting room for more movement and scenery. At those ages, my kids would have prefered to walk the halls or parking lot rather than stay in the waiting room every time.

We bring big, fat crayons. My kids aren't big colorers either, but it's instantly cool to draw on the examining table's paper.

If we went more than we do, I'd have mini monster trucks, maybe some tops, that Cheerios book, and I'd probably end up printing a lot of preschool packs or similar.

I'm also not beyond letting my kids take electronics. My 3yo has a DS and is the youngest our kids have ever had one. But he was capable of operating my older kids' before I entertained the idea of one for him. LeapPads are nice in theory, but by the time you buy the console and a few games, you've spent as much to get something like a basic Kindle Fire, which has the added bonus of being able to play audiobooks and movies.

I'm also not beyond letting my kids take electronics.  

Yep. I would almost prefer that they be using our own screen device rather than playing with and setting down toys in a waiting room, yuck. 

Also, other parents often think kids should share out their toys, but no one expects you to hand over an ipad, lol. 

• Like 2

Along the idea of the cars, what about 4-5 sections of Hot Wheels track to make a ramp off a chair? If the room isn't crowded this could work great. You could use a heavy book to hold it in place. You can buy individual track sections at Walmart or Target for $1 each.

• Like 1

It is the only time I let them play on my phone.  DS has weekly allergy shots that we have to wait in the office for half an hour after the shot is given.  He plays games on my phone with the sound turned off.  We also look at books and magazines.  When they were younger they had a leapfrog gaming thing that they took.  I always made them turn off the sound or wear headphones so it didn't bug other people.

Yes, this brings back memories.  Mine are old enough now that they're usually left behind, but they were 3 and 6 when we started having to do this on an ongoing basis.

I took bags of plastic dinosaurs that we used only for appointments.  I took lots of read-alouds.  And, yes, I took a portable DVD player with headphones.  This was only brought out if we really had to use it, but it saved my bacon more than once.  Now of course it would be a smart phone or tablet!

The good thing is that it taught them to be flexible, and we did a lot of school in waiting rooms and hospital cafeterias.  Now when we go out for any length of time, they routinely pack a bag of schoolwork or bring a book or magazine.  Even when I drop my oldest at the gym, he takes a book in case I run late.  So some time management skills were learned.

• Like 1

When my kids were young my MIL bought them used Gameboys. Grrrr. I didn't want them to have electronics so young! I was Not Happy.

Turns out that my MIL is a wise, wise woman. I made a rule that the Gameboys were for doctors' offices and grocery shopping only. Changed my life.

My suggestion: something electronic. The 4 year old may be too young but there are probably lots of games for the 6 yo on various electronic devices.

• Like 2

Pipe cleaner dinosaurs on sale now!

http://www.amazon.com/Small-World-Toys-Creative-Craft/dp/B00CN3LXZ8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1425439745&sr=8-10&keywords=Pipe+cleaner+dinosaur

If you limit their use to waiting room only, pipe cleaner packs can be fun, you can search online or get books for ideas on how to make different things. They are quasi reusable, if they get tired if the things they make and you have the time and patience to unwind them. The packs are cheap at Walmart and bigger packs reasonable at Michaels or Hobby Lobby with a coupon.

If you want to mix it up with something non-electronic -

Catch the Match has been popular at our house for years - a sharp three year old can play and it is enjoyable for an adult, too. Quick, quiet, and easy to start and stop! 

Sherlock is another game by the same company that we've enjoyed. It is a bit more involved and takes longer to play but is still good for many ages - the kids often do better than the adults. :)

This may have been mentioned, but Duplos or Mega Blocks were always a hit with my son. 

If you can't find a magnet theme you like, you can run stickers through the laminator (or get self-laminating sheets) and then slap magnets on the back. We got a Thomas the Tank Engine sticker book and did that one time.

Discovery Toys has (or used to have some cool stuff, like a boxed tangram set with cards and foam shapes--lots of pieces and cards. I think you can get magnetic sets from other retailers.

Suiqs: https://www.fatbraintoys.com/toys/s/squigs.cfm

My ASD kiddo likes the really long wiki sticks. My other kiddo will play with them, but he doesn't get too excited on way or the other. 

Zoob