Menu

Farm People...advice needed on sad situation

Ewe Mama

We are in NE Ohio and have had quite a rough go of it this winter, as many areas have. During the night, one of our small sheds collapsed under the weight of snow and ice, killing one of our rams. We are at -9 degrees right now, and are expecting another half foot of snow starting tonight.

We are a small hobby farm, no special equipment or machinery, just muscle. I have no idea how to get that poor ram out from under everything and, when I do, how to dispose of his remains. We haven't experienced this with a full-grown animal before, so I am at a loss. All of our previous losses have been of lambs that just didn't make it. The ground is frozen solid.

My concerns are that if we can't get him out tonight, he is going to be buried under more snow, followed immediately by a slight rise in temperatures, high enough to thaw things for a day or two, and then another deep freeze. The result would not be...pretty.

Any advice? They don't prepare you for situations like this in the dumb city-slicker's guide to country living book that I keep meaning to write.

I have got to move back to town. Things like this are sucking the joy right out of me. :(

This was our favorite ram. Sheep Daddy actually choked up when I called to tell him about what had happened. I don't know how I feel about having him hauled off like that, although I may just need to put on my big girl pants and get over it in this situation.

:( I'm so sorry. Would it help to send him along with something the family treasures. A favorite blanket or maybe spend the day making a good-bye card to tuck in with him when he's hauled away -- so he isn't all by himself?  As you said, it is not going to be pretty to wait until the ground is soft enough to dig up yourself.

(ETA and SQUEE! about another Theodore. My Theodore is age 7)

I'm sorry, I was going to suggest the same thing.  There are places that will come and get a cow or larger animal.  There really isn't anything else you could do- it sounds lke the ground is pretty frozen, do you have anything that would dig a hole?  Larger tractor w/ a scoop?

Thank you all so much for the advice. It is legal for us to burn deceased animals and we have plenty of firewood, so that is probably the way we will do it. I still have to ok it with Sheep Daddy first and we will have to get the poor ram out from under the debris. I spent as long as I could bear it outside, but that windchill is brutal. I think I have cleared a safe path under and around everything, so we should be able to push/pull him out as soon as dh gets home from work.

I did place a call to our vet, but the service they use is so backed up dealing with animals closer to them (we live out a ways further from their usual pickup area) that they might not make it out for a few days. I just can't do that to our sweet boy, Algebra. A viking funeral pyre he shall have.

Does anyone have any experience with burning deceased animals? Is the smell really bad? I try to keep on good terms with the few people we know nearby and don't want to cause a brouhaha, even though we are ok legally.

If he's frozen in he's not going to degrade right away, and as soon as the ground is thawed enough you can get them out then. When you do, is burning legal in your state? if so I think that would be the cheapest option. And not to be gruesome or anything, but it might be easier to burn if you cut off his his legs and his head. we used to have to do that with the human cadavers that we had in graduate school, when the next of kin wanted them returned as ash because our incinerator just wasn't big enough. so cutting them up sounds gruesome, but it's standard when you've got a rather small incinerator space; things go more efficiently.

Well, we have experience with the untimely death of many animals but not so much frozen ground. Is there someone with a backhoe who could remove the shed pieces and then dig a hole while the backhoe is on the property? Is your ice so deep that a backhoe could not get through? Could you wait for the temps to go up slightly (you mentioned something like that was in the forecast), then remove the poor guy and bury him before the next freeze occurs?

We have always buried our companions on the property so I have no experience with having them hauled off. Maybe someone else will have better advice.

If he's frozen in he's not going to degrade right away, and as soon as the ground is thawed enough you can get them out then. When you do, is burning legal in your state? if so I think that would be the cheapest option. And not to be gruesome or anything, but it might be easier to burn if you cut off his his legs and his head. we used to have to do that with the human cadavers that we had in graduate school, when the next of kin wanted them returned as ash because our incinerator just wasn't big enough. so cutting them up sounds gruesome, but it's standard when you've got a rather small incinerator space; things go more efficiently.

Good Golly. Are you saying when people get cremated, they are first dismembered???

We bury ours on the property, too.  We have a wonderful man with a backhoe who comes and is so respectful about moving the horses.  We had one put down here on the farm and another one who was put down at the vet clinic, but we had him transferred home.  My wonderful husband arranged that one.

The sheep we have dug our own and buried.  

It's really hard . . . a friend of mine told me that if we are going to have livestock we are going to have dead stock.  Sad but true.

I don't know how cremation is done in commercial crematories, such as funeral parlors. I suspect it's a fairly large crematory and takes a body whole. I only know what we had to do in order to actually fit the body in the small crematory we had.

Good Golly. Are you saying when people get cremated, they are first dismembered???

This is going to sound a little nuts, but I had a timely conversation with my Dad last night. We were talking about burial methods and he said he heard that if bodies are wrapped in wool, they burn longer and pretty much everything is consumed. I don't know if there is anything too that, but since Algebra is already wrapped in wool....

I'm sorry for his untimely death. I know nothing about sheep, but I do know my family fell in love with a ram at the county fair a few years ago. He was so sweet and interactive with us; he had way more personality than I would have thought a sheep could have. We all told ourselves he ended up being used for breeding and not in someone's stew after the fair.

FWIW, cremation services might be able to dispose of your ram. I believe the cremation service our vet hospital uses can dispose of animals up to 300 lb, and it looks like rams generally weigh just under 300. You'd have to be able to dig him out of the collapsed building (a back hoe or bull dozer or other heavy machinery would make this easier . ..  but then you could bury the fellow if you had those tools), but then the cremation service would take him away. Our service will come to wherever the animal is and take the remains away. Cremation can be "private with ashes returned" which is pricey (probably $400-500 for a 300# animal), but then you can bury the ashes on your property when the weather cooperates. Alternatively, "bulk cremation" with no ashes returned is modestly priced, I think maybe 50c/lb or less. Local vet hospitals will all have a cremation service, so call your vet and maybe one or two more to get names/numbers/info. Or, google "pet cremation services Yourtown, Your State", to see if there are any private cremations services that work directly with the public. (Some areas have companies that only deal with vets; others will deal with private people, too.)

If you can get someone with a backhoe or even a bobcat, they could surely dig your fellow out of the debris as well as dig a place and bury him. Frozen ground is not cement . . . Large machinery can still dig it. 

(((hugs)))