Menu

Breaking news on Fox... 17yo Bristol Palin is pregnant and will marry the father

LNC

He shouldn't need to use his VP pick to energize his base; he should have been able to do it himself. And the base isn't enough this year

I think this is an excellent point. Peole say Biden was a "weak" choice but the truth is Biden was a *safe* choice and Obama had the ability to make a safe choice. That in itself is telling, IMO (eta: generally speaking, not to you kokotg: YES! It's only MY opinion! You can have a different one, you aren't necessarily right or wrong!).

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So many people felt that he should have stepped down from the race for her benefit. But somehow I imagined her saying, "No way. I don't want my illness to run our lives. I don't want to die knowing that I kept you from doing what you were destined to do. Please please, for my sake and the sake of the country, run."

you didn't have to imagine it; she DID say it. Whether Bristol said the same sort of thing or not we don't really know. It's certainly possible she did.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet...

Obama said this is March when discussing his girls:

I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby. I don't want them punished with an STD at the age of 16. You know, so it doesn't make sense to not give them information."

Palin is living out her pro-life convictions. I'm impressed.

I think this is an excellent point. Peole say Biden was a "weak" choice but the truth is Biden was a *safe* choice and Obama had the ability to make a safe choice. That in itself is telling, IMO (eta: generally speaking, not to you kokotg: YES! It's only MY opinion! You can have a different one, you aren't necessarily right or wrong!).

Perhaps. We won't know until it's over. Didn't everyone think Kerry was going to win, too?

I'm living proof of that.

My dh is living proof of that.

My 5th child is (okay, will be God willing) living proof of that.

My 10yo niece is living proof of that...

Gee, I see a pattern, don't you?:lol:

Yes. A comprehensive, thorough sex ed class would have taught that it is always a good idea to use a secondary barrier method for added assurance with barrier or hormonal birth control as well as for some time after a surgical sterilization.

I totally supported McCain in 2000 against Bush. But there's no way I can support him this time around. It seems to me McCain's advisors are just using Palin. It sounds as if this VP thing was a complete surprise to her, her family, even to McCain! He'd only met her once before this decision was made. MCCAIN didn't choose her, his advisors did.

I agree with what the others have said, that Palin should step down during her family's time of need. The decisions being made by the adults in this scenario are selfish. Palin's tiny little baby is going to hardly know his mama! Do you realize how much traveling (to foreign countries etc..) is involved in the VP slot? How can she remain focused on her 5 children and a pregnant, emotionally needy teen? What if something happened to McCain - he's pretty old! I don't care if it was a man in this position - a man couldn't handle it all either.

Originally Posted by Jackie in AR viewpost.gif

If Sarah Palin was a man, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I disagree. We had the discussion on whether Edwards should keep running or not when his wife had cancer. A family crisis will *always* raise the question of whether or not a candidate should stay in the race.

Being first lady and VP are two different things. Also, Chelsea did not get pregnant. When there are large issues, like special needs and pregnant teens, yes close up shop. Both need a lot of attention.

Jet

Because Chelsea didn't get pregnant (that anyone knows of. She could have and aborted, theoretically) means she didn't have sex? Your logic doesn't follow.

Teen who's had sex ≠ promiscuous teen.

Pregnant teen ≠ promiscuous teen.

I don't think many will say she is she's a bad mother bc her daughter got pregnant - so she shouldn't be VP. That isn't it at all. Most everyone has a friend or family member who has gone through this.

The timing is the problem. If this happened a year ago or a year from now it would be different. But, her daughter is in a crisis, and she's adding to it by subjecting her to this national media scrutiny. I find it hard to believe any mother would do this. That's why I speculated maybe she just found out after she received the VP nomination. Many teens hide their pregnancies well into the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I've read since then that Bristol had on a "ring" at the Dayton speech and they had her covered up with the blanket. So, that's unlikely I suppose.

I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby. I don't want them punished with an STD at the age of 16. You know, so it doesn't make sense to not give them information."

Are you implying that the bold portion of your statement is indicative of his preference that his girls have abortions?

It appears to me that he's saying he want his daughters to have enough information to make good choices and AVOID pregnancy and STDs.

I wish I had seen this thread before it reached 27 pages, however, I have an appeal to make to each of us on TWTM.

As a parent, I am horrified by the amount of gossip taking place in the news media and here regarding Bristol and the Palin family. In the spirit of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," I appeal to each of us to consider carefully how we would want our families to be treated in a similar situation before we engage in further discussion of personal family issues--particularly those involving minor children.

And, for the record, I think a healthy dose of "Do unto others" is called for no matter which candidate's family is involved. It's not about whose policies I support--it's about treating other people the way I want to be treated.

Warning: totally frivolous carping below:

I hope I'm not offending anyone here (oh, I really do hope I'm not!), but...BRISTOL?! :001_huh:

That's a place, not a person. I don't understand people's weird baby names.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled intelligent, thoughtful discussion....

Trig's middle name is Paxson which is also a place. A newspaper article about the birth of the baby says they both liked the name because they think the place is one of Alaska's most beautiful spots. Perhaps the names are associated with places of conception? Just a guess.

And what percentage of sexually active teens who have been taught this do you suppose actually practice it?

I remember my sex ed classes. We were mostly rolling our eyes because we knew this stuff, thanks. Knowledge does not equal actual practice. The same can be said for abstinence. Good intentions don't always win the day.

Yes. A comprehensive, thorough sex ed class would have taught that it is always a good idea to use a secondary barrier method for added assurance with barrier or hormonal birth control as well as for some time after a surgical sterilization.

I'm not saying that I don't think a woman should be in office. I'd love to see a female president, and if that woman can juggle office and family, more power to her. What I'm saying is that this particular woman in this particular situation should have thought about whether this was the right time. A special needs child requires more care and attention than most, and so do the other children in a household with a special needs child. And while Bristol might not need mom to hold her hand, there's a whole lot of options between holding her hand and feeding her to the media wolves.

:iagree:

Would you clarify your reason for including this quote and what you think it says about McCain's perspective on babies and teens?

*My* reading of the quote is that he would rather his teens/young adults not have to face the realities of parenthood too early. It certainly doesn't read to me that he thinks baby = burden in the way I percieve your post.

But I'm willing to be clarified. ;)

Trig's middle name is Paxson which is also a place. A newspaper article about the birth of the baby says they both liked the name because they think the place is one of Alaska's most beautiful spots. Perhaps the names are associated with places of conception? Just a guess.

Well, OK, they can have their bizarro names. I guess. Begrudgingly. ;) And yeah, how 'bout that Trig? Is that short for something...like, trigonometry, perhaps? {{shudder}}

I wish I had seen this thread before it reached 27 pages, however, I have an appeal to make to each of us on TWTM.

As a parent, I am horrified by the amount of gossip taking place in the news media and here regarding Bristol and the Palin family. In the spirit of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," I appeal to each of us to consider carefully how we would want our families to be treated in a similar situation before we engage in further discussion of personal family issues--particularly those involving minor children.

And, for the record, I think a healthy dose of "Do unto others" is called for no matter which candidate's family is involved. It's not about whose policies I support--it's about treating other people the way I want to be treated.

I haven't noticed anyone discussing Bristol Palin's relationships or other gossipy details here. Everyone is being very respectful of her. We are discussing the character of the candidate for VP of the US and the ramifications this released information has on the election.

I think the fact that the Republicans chose her shows that they don't think they have a prayer this election. They're treating it like a throwaway. I'm betting nobody viable for future races would run with McCain.

Those Republicans who say Obama doesn't have enough experience are ready to accept her as president? McCain is 72. If elected he would be the oldest person to ascend to the presidency in American history. I absolutely think you need to be prepared the VP might need to take the job.

Obama is only 3 years older than Palin. When he was working as a community organizer in Chicago she was a beauty queen. Around the time he was elected president of the Harvard Law Review she was working as a sportscaster. When he was leading voter registration drives, teaching Constitutional law and serving as a civil rights attorney she was serving on the city council in a town of 9,000 people. He was elected to the state Senate the same year she was elected mayor. I could go on but the whole thing really makes me shake my head and wonder.

Do I think what's going on in her family is relevant? Yes. It's as relevant as Clinton's affair, McCain's treatment of his first wife and the personal family lives of every other political person who has been thrust into the limelight.

Sing it sister!

Some people like trendy names and some people like classic names (like me, and probably you I'm guessing). To each his own. Shrug.:)

Well, OK, they can have their bizarro names. I guess. Begrudgingly. ;) And yeah, how 'bout that Trig? Is that short for something...like, trigonometry, perhaps? {{shudder}}

:iagree:

Would you clarify your reason for including this quote and what you think it says about McCain's perspective on babies and teens?

*My* reading of the quote is that he would rather his teens/young adults not have to face the realities of parenthood too early. It certainly doesn't read to me that he thinks baby = burden in the way I percieve your post.

But I'm willing to be clarified. ;)

I definitely think that he meant "teenager with baby = burden"--he used the words "punished with" to describe getting pregnant. But I'm not at all sure that he was making a tacit pro-abortion statement there. And I don't think that many of us would argue that having a baby at 17 isn't incredibly tough and life-changing (and, at times, quite burdensome). After all, isn't that what we've been discussing for the past 28 or so pages?

be unable to raise their own children.Lots of women do it.They have done it for years,even centuries.It certainly helps to have a spouse or so to help but there are lots of women who don't even have that.And all families have crises of various sorts.No reason to think that it would affect how a woman does her job any more than it might a man.

I work FOUR (4) part-time jobs, serve on our local Town Committee and serve as president of a very large (over 1,000) dog breed club, in fact, the AKC Parent Club for our breed. Oh yeah. And I homeschool. ;) So I know about what I speak.

Busy as I am, I am NOT the Vice President of the United States, nor do I intend to be. This woman has virtually NO national experience. If she were single and 25 years old, it would be a MONUMENTAL task to get herself up to speed on matters domestic and international prior to the election in November, let alone in time for the debates. It generally takes about two years of grooming before one is ready to enter politics on a national scale. She's going to tackle that with a special-needs infant and four other children, one of whom is a pregnant teenager, as well as the ensuing media blitz? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Neither do I buy the "OH! But she has EXECUTIVE experience!" to indicate how very qualified she is to step into the presidency should something happen to McCain. No, she has executive experience over a town of 5,000, and then 18 months as executive of a state that ranks 49th in population. And I don't care who you are, no amount of "executive" experience can prepare you for the workload that is about to befall her. McCain doesn't suffer those who shirk their duties, and I doubt he'll have much patience for her to juggle both jobs. I'm surprised he chose her, but perhaps Mrs. Mungo is correct.

JMHO,

astrid

I haven't noticed anyone discussing Bristol Palin's relationships or gossipy details here. We are discussing the character of the candidate for VP of the US.

What do Bristol Palin's name and pregnancy status have to do with the character of the candidate for Vice President of the United States?

What do Bristol Palin's name and pregnancy status have to do with the character of the candidate for Vice President of the United States?

The fact that she would accept the candidacy while her family is in a crisis, and subject her young daughter to national media scrutiny.

I work FOUR (4) part-time jobs, serve on our local Town Committee and serve as president of a very large (over 1,000) dog breed club, in fact, the AKC Parent Club for our breed. Oh yeah. And I homeschool. ;) So I know about what I speak.

Busy as I am, I am NOT the Vice President of the United States, nor do I intend to be. This woman has virtually NO national experience. If she were single and 25 years old, it would be a MONUMENTAL task to get herself up to speed on matters domestic and international prior to the election in November, let alone in time for the debates. It generally takes about two years of grooming before one is ready to enter politics on a national scale. She's going to tackle that with a special-needs infant and four other children, one of whom is a pregnant teenager, as well as the ensuing media blitz? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Neither do I buy the "OH! But she has EXECUTIVE experience!" to indicate how very qualified she is to step into the presidency should something happen to McCain. No, she has executive experience over a town of 5,000, and then 18 months as executive of a state that ranks 49th in population. And I don't care who you are, no amount of "executive" experience can prepare you for the workload that is about to befall her. McCain doesn't suffer those who shirk their duties, and I doubt he'll have much patience for her to juggle both jobs. I'm surprised he chose her, but perhaps Mrs. Mungo is correct.

JMHO,

astrid

Well said,

Jet

With this post I request that the moderators close this thread and delete it. In my opinion, it is unworthy of The Well Trained Mind.

I respectfully disagree. Aside from my silliness about her name, I think that this thread is yet another example of how people from VASTLY different political, religious, socioeconomic, and other backgrounds can discuss important issues with civility. You won't see a discussion like this on the liberal or the conservative talk shows. I'm so impressed with you all. Makes me wanna break out the big guns:

:grouphug:

...they both liked the name because they think the place is one of Alaska's most beautiful spots.

Alaska has a plethora of great names for politicos and thrill-seekers alike. How about Chicken? Eek? Or maybe Nunathloogagamiutbingoi Dunes! :lol::lol:

(Chicken might be just the thing for a future Congressman of any stripe.) :tongue_smilie:

it is unworthy of The Well Trained Mind.

I respectfully disagree. There has been intelligent discussion, give and take, and strong opinion all around. I don't think that is unworthy.

The occasional post that attempts to bring levity to a serious thread is not reason to delete the entire thing.

With this post I request that the moderators close this thread and delete it. In my opinion, it is unworthy of The Well Trained Mind.

I respect your opinion. I've found this discussion very enlightening however. When I read the headline (and I'm a conservative)- my first reaction was that the election was over. As I've read everyone's supportive replies, I've been amazed that very few shared my reaction. We'll see what happens from here!

Have you been reading here long? This is a pretty tame conversation by some standards :)

And do you think her Lynn Spears could be elected dogcatcher in most of the US?

Politicians live their life under a microscope. This should be obvious by now. It isn't only Palin that is experiencing this.

Lynn Spears couldn't even get her how-to-be-a-good-christian-mother book published after news broke of Jamie's pregnancy.

Hmm ..... could it have been a sleazy liberal Hollywood conspiracy to impregnate Jamie Lynn, hold her up as role model, and be responsible for moral decline of teens throughout the nation icon12.gif .... I'll have to hone my conspiracy theory skills some more I suppose.

Oh I knew I shouldn't have popped in. I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. What is the matter with me? Well, now it's done and I may as well say something since I haven't been away for anyone else's good but my own anyway.

1) This is the first I'd heard of either the rumors surrounding Sarah Palin's last pregnancy or the news of Bristol Palin's pregnancy.

2) I feel for this family. Oh how I feel for them!

3) I don't understand why it should have much of an impact on the election for reasons so many others have pointed out already.

4) I would really like to know just what the vice president's duties are. How demanding of a job is it? How much more demanding is it than being a state governor? Is there any reason Sarah Palin will not be able to be "there" for her family as much as she is now?

I do not understand those who are saying Sarah Palin should just give up the nomination, go home, and simply be with her daughter. What does that mean? That would have driven me insane if my mother had done that. Why can Sarah Palin not be supportive of her daughter in all the ways that really matter just because she may be our next vice president? It's not as though Sarah Palin can carry and deliver that baby for her daughter. The best she can do is to offer her love, advice, and understanding and space.

As someone who has been in Bristol's position, I can say that I don't think it would have been necessarily any more difficult for me if my mother or father had been vice president. What mattered to me is what people who knew me thought. I wasn't nearly so concerned about what strangers thought. Once everyone who knew me had heard the news and I'd suffered that initial shame and humiliation, it didn't really matter who else knew, and I felt spared some of that shame by knowing that I was getting married and neither of us felt forced into it. Yeah, it's embarrassing, but I don't think it would be all that much easier if Bristol were able to just go through all this back in her hometown where everyone knows her and is talking about her. Have you folks ever lived in a small town? The spotlight of being the VP's daughter has nothing on the spotlight of being the biggest news item for many months in a small town.

I don't presume to know what's best for anyone else's family. There are many, many choices people make that leave me scratching my head. I don't envy the Palin's the position they are in on any count as it looks pretty difficult from any direction I view it (world of politics, pregnant teen daughter, parent of a special needs child), but I certainly wouldn't condemn them for their choices from this distance with no personal knowledge of their circumstances or ability to handle them. How many here would feel as comfortable openly discussing their neighbor's choice to continue a career in a similar situation? Why do we feel it's our right to condemn Todd and Sarah Palin's choices for their family any more unless it will hamper her ability to do the job for which she's been nominated? (Again, I'm not sure it would keep her from doing her job well and being a good mother at the same time.)

The larger problem seems to be that Sarah Palin's definition of motherhood is different than the majority here. It seems she has not been a stay at home mom for some time. She is a mother with a career in politics. It doesn't make her a bad mother. It doesn't make her choices wrong or subpar. When will the Mommy Wars be over? So many of us are concerned about the state stepping on our parental rights and legislating what happens in our families. Who has the right to decide what is best for families in general? Aren't we stepping in it a little ourselves here? I think I'll step out before it gets too deep.

No-your commenting is exactly the point. The family made an announcement of what they say is a fact-Bristol is pregnant and how it will be handled-she and the father are marrying. You then expound on and further promulgate rumors about her, her child, and her brother. That is the issue.

Sadly the Palins had no choice. Their options 1) admit the pregnancy, 2) hide the daughter and have the media speculate everything from pregnancy to drugs or 3) lie and claim not pregnant. Option 1 was the only honest choice. I'm not sure that this would in any way aid either party. It is a fact they have to confront or have thrust upon them. They chose the direct approach.

I'm not sure how Palin's having a pregnant daughter is a ploy by the Republicans or even one that could help them. This is really delving into the realm of conspiracy theories. None of the goldfish in this particular bowl need that now or later in life.

You must not be expressing yourself because this really doesn't seem to be anything from rumor mongering, which I will now try to desist from commenting on in order to protect those who should be presumed to be innocent.

First of all, I don't see how anyone in this thread is guilty of rumor-mongering: we are all discussing what we, the voting public, have been presented with this weekend, and how that information does or does not affect our opinion of who we will vote for. As far as protecting those who should be presumed to be innocent, I'm not sure I follow, as no one is being "accused" of anything (well, I suppose I am accusing politicians of being dishonest). I may have been the first in this particular thread to question the timing of all of this, but I am not really all that intelligent or insightful. I am sure that I'm hardly the first or only person who noticed the remarkable coincidence of the two situations in question.

Secondly, and I think this is where you and I are perhaps passing by each others posts without clear understanding: my point, in my original post, is that I suspect that it is possible that Bristol is not currently, nor has she ever been, pregnant.

I am not trying to "bait" you into further discussion; I respect your intention not to delve further into this line of conversation. I did, however, want to clarify my point, as it seemed that you misunderstood my intentions and took my post as some sort of an attack on a young teenage girl. If my word choice left that impression, I am truly sorry, because nothing could be further from the truth.

One thing I am confident that we agree on, is that this young woman deserves to be treated with dignity and kindness. It was not my intention to question her integrity, but rather the integrity of the political campaign that surrounds her family. Let me say this just as clearly as I possibly can: my "beef" is not with a person or a family, but rather with the political process as a whole, that I believe could and does trap otherwise honest and decent people in incredibly sticky situations.

I appreciate your zeal to defend a young woman caught in such an unfortunate situation.

Not sure why you highlighted only the part that you did, (well, actually, I'm pretty sure I know why) but that phrase is worded exactly the same as the next phrase referring to STDs. Two sentences in a row worded the exact same way usually are referring to the same idea. In this case, condoms.

I'm also impressed that Palin is supporting her daughter having this baby. I'm not so convinced, however, that she's living out her convictions that "abstinence only" is the best method of educating kids.

When will the Mommy Wars be over?

I don't think this is what this discussion is about. Well...maybe some people feel that way. Personally, her personal life doesn't have any impact on how I feel about her getting the VP nod. However, I absolutely think it is as valid to discuss it as it is to discuss the personal lives of other politicians (which we have...often).

You apparently assume the "mistake" is pregnancy. I read it as the mistake is premarital sex.