Menu

Easy, hearty breakfast options?

Mommy22alyns

My almost 12yo is an athlete. We want to pack a lot of nutrition and protein into her breakfasts. She tends to get hungry very quickly if she just eats cereal.

We are already doing basic scrambled eggs.

Please not a lot of fancy ingredients!

Pins or boards are great. Also, if you have any other athletic nutrition ideas, I'm listening!

We make these muffins, my kids can fix them on their own:

1 1/2 cups high protein whole wheat pancake mix (from Costco, can't think of the brand right now)

1/3rd cup sugar

1 cup unsweetened applesauce

4 eggs

a bit of salt and some cinnamon

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes

Eat with butter

We made up the recipe, I am sure you could tweak it however you like :)

When one of my sons needed to up his calorie intake in school, they were fed burritos with scrambled eggs, cheese and retried beans. Make ahead and store in fridge - 30 seconds in the microwave and they are grab and go.

They also ate pancakes wrapped around sausage links or bacon but the breakfast burritos were his favorite.

What constitutes a "fancy" ingredient? Maybe some of the stuff I consider normal is your fancy, or vice versa.

I like eggs baked in avocados with bacon, but that's because anything which combines eggs, avocado, and bacon is sure to be good.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Baked-Eggs-Avocado-Recipe-30787252

That recipe, but add some bacon :)

Also a fan of dates filled with cream cheese and baked with bacon - again, it has bacon in it, how can you go wrong?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/bacon-wrapped-dates-stuffed-with-cream-cheese-and-almonds-recipe.html

That recipe sans almonds. Not a fan of almonds.

I've been known to make flourless crepes - basically you beat your eggs in a bowl with a little vanilla extract, milk, and sugar, then pour the mix into a wide skillet. Once it's browned on one side flip it, then remove it from the heat and add chopped strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream. No bacon in this recipe, but the whipped cream makes up for it.

I've recently learned to make scotch eggs, which are hard boiled eggs with sausage meat wrapped around them (and bacon) and baked. Mmm, so good. You can google your own recipe for that, I really ought to get down to the kiddos.

Any of those recipes with a small side of steel-cut oats and greek yogurt will be sure to fill her up. But I eat a lot in the mornings if I remember to!

We usually do oatmeal with fresh fruit or an egg bake - made the night before & baked in the morning.  

1 lb sausage browned
8 eggs
3 cups milk
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided

Mix together, put in a greased pan or casserole dish, refrigerate - in the morning, bake at 350 for about 55 min.  

We made a big batch (I use our large cast iron dutch oven) of steel cut oats every Sunday. Everyone morning, each person adds their toppings to their bowl of oats, some water/milk, and reheats in the microwave. Super easy. 

For an athlete (I'm assuming you want high protein/fat) you could add peanut butter, flax seeds, use heavy cream instead of milk, and whatever nut you have/like. I always add some type of dried fruit to mine. Fresh fruit works as well, especially bananas. 

Oh, when I used to swim every morning, I would cut and remove the seed to an avocado, then put the two halves back together and take it with me. I'd eat it like a snack after practice each morning, it was very helpful and super easy.

dinner for breakfast?  No reason not to have a grain + protein + veg for all meals of the day.  Dinner leftovers placed in a wrap and microwaved are fast & portable if necessary.   Ds likes to do that with left over chickpea & lentils curries & rice. He usually wraps it in a naan bread.

smoothies with additional protein powder

also, I think it's not unusual to be unable to eat a lot first thing so I'd consider breaking into two meals about 1-2 hr apart.

my son is a ballet dancer so nutrition is very important to him as is plain old getting enough to eat.

For breakfast I make breaksfast sandwiches.  I use high fiber english muffins, scrambled egg (2 whites and 1 yolk) and I use a 'soy sausage' patty b/c we don't eat much meat. I make the eggs and soy sausage at night and put it in the fridge. In the morning he toasts the muffin and heats up the egg/sausage in the micro. It takes moments and he can eat it while he walks to school

When it is hotter out he has a smoothie. I have a vitamix and I prep smoothies in a mason jar at night. Then he just has to dump it into the blender in the morning. I use fruit, veggies, almond milk, half an avocado, ground flax meal and whey protein. I might also toss in a couple tablespoons of almond butter.

In the cold weather I frequently make him a "chai smoothie" for the 15 mins he has after school but before ballet. I brew some chai tea (2 cups) and add some soaked almonds, an apple or pear, some cinnamon, a bit of ginger, 1 TB ground flax, a quarter of an avocado, and whey powder. That takes him through 3 hours of ballet class.

and.... we are not above supplementing with the occasional high protein bar, such as a luna protein bar.

We, too, do breakfast sandwiches with high fiber English muffins and freeze them.  I always under scramble the eggs so that by the time they're nuked, they're perfect.  

What about peanut butter on toast with banana?

Smoothie/banana shake by using milk and a frozen banana and dash of vanilla.  Can add protein powder or yogurt for more protein.

Greek yogurt is great for protein.

Boost her cereal, add nuts, berries, etc.  

We love the Egg Beaters scrambler mugs, but you can use normal eggs too. She could make this herself.   http://www.eggbeaters.com/recipes-Easy-French-Toast-Egg-Mug-Scrambler-5742

What constitutes a "fancy" ingredient? Maybe some of the stuff I consider normal is your fancy, or vice versa.

I like eggs baked in avocados with bacon, but that's because anything which combines eggs, avocado, and bacon is sure to be good.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Baked-Eggs-Avocado-Recipe-30787252

That recipe, but add some bacon :)

Also a fan of dates filled with cream cheese and baked with bacon - again, it has bacon in it, how can you go wrong?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/bacon-wrapped-dates-stuffed-with-cream-cheese-and-almonds-recipe.html

That recipe sans almonds. Not a fan of almonds.

I've been known to make flourless crepes - basically you beat your eggs in a bowl with a little vanilla extract, milk, and sugar, then pour the mix into a wide skillet. Once it's browned on one side flip it, then remove it from the heat and add chopped strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream. No bacon in this recipe, but the whipped cream makes up for it.

I've recently learned to make scotch eggs, which are hard boiled eggs with sausage meat wrapped around them (and bacon) and baked. Mmm, so good. You can google your own recipe for that, I really ought to get down to the kiddos.

Any of those recipes with a small side of steel-cut oats and greek yogurt will be sure to fill her up. But I eat a lot in the mornings if I remember to!

If I can get it at Kroger, that's fine. I can't go to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or a health food store.

If I can get it at Kroger, that's fine. I can't go to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or a health food store.

Got it. Don't have Kroger here, but I'm translating that as "regular supermarket, no large immigrant community".

Kiddos are sick. I am sick. The cat is eating my peanut butter, and will soon be sick.

Egg bagel sandwich with cheese and bacon.  Mmm.  My son can eat one every day.

Just a bagel with cream cheese.  That's a favorite around here.

French toast.  

"Camel eyes" - an egg friend in a hole cut out of the center of a piece of bread.

I guess any kind of bread with egg.  That's what my kids like. If I make waffles or pancakes, I will also fry up eggs to go with them. 

We like sausage and bacon with breakfast, too.

My dad made breakfast each morning when I was a kid.  He loves big hot breakfasts.  I am still (after 21 years of marriage) waiting for my husband to figure out that it is his duty as a dad to make breakfast...  Oh well.  I'm sure my dad will make breakfast when we go home to visit!

I get the large package of Kroger brand breakfast sausage links (we like maple flavor but they come in regular flavor too) and bake them in the oven (about two batches).  After they cool, I freeze them together in two quart-size bags.  Dh takes two links out at a time, microwave 35 seconds.

Egg breakfast are great! We often do fried eggs instead of scrambled, as you don't need to whisk and dirty another dish.

Another breakfast we like is oats. A big bowl of steel cut oats or whole oat groats will keep any of us from getting hungry til lunch. We cook them in a bowl sitting in water in the crockpot overnight. Breakfast is ready to dish up in the morning, just add your favorite mix-ins and a side of fruit. Don't underestimate the power of high fiber oats. And the more whole your oats are, the longer they take to digest, so don't go instant or minute.

Muffins, cereal, toast, yogurt, smoothies are all breakfast that even with added protein, don't keep me going til lunch. French toast is good though if you use 1 egg per slice of bread. And it's decent reheated too.

We often do fried eggs instead of scrambled, as you don't need to whisk and dirty another dish.

If you cook it over a low flame with lots of butter OR bacon fat OR oil, you can scramble the eggs in the skillet. That's what I usually do, and I keep stirring it until it's mostly done, then I quickly raise the flame to get rid of as much moisture as I can for Miss Picky.

We've been doing fried rice with egg here a lot.  I have cooked brown rice in the fridge, pull it out in the morning, put about a 1/2 cup per person in a pan with some butter, once it's starting to be toasty, I crack  2 or 3 eggs per person into it and scramble it all around with some salt and black pepper.

Have you looked at Jimmy Dean's breakfast scrambles? I'm sure you could assemble your own kit if you prefer. It's a freezer bag that contains precooked sausage, potatoes, onions, and peppers. You fry it for about ten minutes to crisp up the meat and potatoes. Then, you add six beaten eggs. I often use this as a filling for breakfast burritos.

It's hearty with almost no work. They have other versions with rice or different meats, but I stick to the sausage/potato one.