Menu

waving from across the aisle

In watching all the politics going on right now one thing that is very apparent is the huge divide between the two prevailing political philosophies. I cheer on my side, but I despair that any common purpose can be found. Without common purpose, we are not a united nation despite our name. For many years now, its been an us versus them political world.

So I'm asking people what they can find about the opposing candidate/party that is commendable to them. If you can't find anything, don't post. Please don't make disparaging remarks about the "other side." And please don't turn it into a place to grandstand your views, or your candidate.

If you're undecided/independent/third party, feel free to make positive comments about either/any candidate/party.

This is sort of a social experiment. :D

I'll go first. I'm voting for Obama. I know, it's not obvious or anything. I'm an independent voter, I've voted third party in two presidential elections. Though I can't see myself voting republican so long as the party remains as it is. Thats my background.

One thing I find commendable about the republican ticket is Palin's record as a fighter. She has taken on several things that would be intimidating for a young politician. If republicans are elected, then I believe she will fight hard for what her party believes in. I admire a fighter, so good for her.

Another thing I find worthy: I like that McCain supports NASA and the return of astronauts to the moon. Space exploration and colonization is one of my top five issues. Yes I am nerd-like. His policy states his support of manned space flights, as opposed to robotic only, and I wholly agree. There are many things that we can work robotics for in space exploration, but in the end man himself must get off this planet. If he is elected I hope his space policy will endure.

Those are a couple things I respect about the republican candidates. Notice how none of it was snarky or back-handed. And can we please take abortion off the table? Its an issue many are very passionate about, we all recognise that, so lets come up with other things if we can.

One thing that was very advantageous for me in writing this post was reading about the opposing side, I think this would be beneficial for anyone.

Thanks to anyone who participates, if anyone does.

Even though I haven't truly decided which person I'm voting for I am excited about living through this historic time. For my daughter's sake, I'm happy that Palin will be a role model for her. I don't want my daughter to have to choose between family and ambition/calling. What a role model for women. For my sons' sakes, I'm happy to show them Obama and say, look, he didn't come from a perfect life, wasn't born into the privliged life, but look what he has done with a lot of hard work. Two American Success stories, no matter which party you identify yourself with. If this doesn't say "In America, anything is possible" nothing does.

....and now back to your regularly scheduled politics....

I like your idea! I'll try to think up something I like about both sides:

McCain: I like that Cindy McCain travels for charitable purposes, and that they adopted a child, Bridget, from a foreign country (forget which one.)

Obama: I like that he's an inspiration to so many and seems to be a truly wonderful family man.

Obama is an amazing speechwriter. Although I do not plan to vote for him, I do plan to hold his speeches up for my children, as examples of truly excellent writing and rhetoric.

Parabola, I appreciate you starting this thread. The negativity was about to sink me for the weekend. It bothers me greatly.

My husband finds Obama's speeches to be hypnotizing, and he had him pegged as the new Democratic star before I had ever heard of him. He is very charismatic, and I admire his work ethic and intelligence. I haven't found any policy issues I agree with - wait maybe I do! I am against torture as a policy, and how does Obama feel about drug legalization?

I'm registering as an independent and will be voting for McCain--I usually vote Republican but don't want to be bound by any party.

Anyhow, I remember when Obama was running for his senate seat and how impressed I was with his demeanor, intelligence and how well-spoken he was--and how I never once really heard him use the race card. Very refreshing. I thought back then that one day he would run for president, but had no clue it would be this soon! LOL

I appreciate the Democratic party's heart for the people of THIS country and think the Republicans (particularly the religious Right) could take a lesson in their care for the elderly, widowed, poor and downtrodden. Doesn't mean I agree with their methods for doing so, but the heart behind it is right.

Obama is an incredible speaker. I loved his DNC speech and I think it will go down in history.

I watched a special on MSNBC this morning on McCain's POW experience. It really moved me. I only caught a little of it but it gave me a better understanding of what he really went through.

I am not quite decided. I think I know who I won't be voting for but we still have 60+ days left. Anything can happen.

Great thread, Parabola!

Obama is an idealist. His intentions are good.

:iagree: He has a beautiful family that he apparently loves very much. He has character and has worked hard to keep the campaign from getting dirty. He is inspiring. Many point out that he speaks better when scripted; however, to deliver a speech eloquently, scripted or not, is a great talent.

I just disagree with him politically.

Hey, you all forgot to give this thread stars!! What a great idea for a thread, Sheralyn!

Obama-

He casts a vision. He makes me want to be a better American. He makes me want to be more compassionate and more passionate. He is an amazing speaker and speechwriter. He moves me on an emotional level. He appears to be a faithful husband and an involved father. If he has ever played the race card, I have missed it. He takes issue with McCain's policies but I have never heard him denegrate McCain. He honors McCain for his service to our country and makes it known that he assumes McCain to be a good man with the best of intentions. I have never heard him sling mud. I think he really wants to end the war and I think he will take steps to do so if elected. I think he is idealistic (and that is not a bad thing), honorable, passionate, gifted......and......this will sound so shallow.....but......he is awfully handsome. Not that we elect people based on looks, but if we did.......

Biden-

I don't know.

McCain-

Um.....he made an interesting and gutsy choice for a running mate. He apparently did not bat an eye when his wife showed up with a new daughter. He is brave and and showed grace, courage and forgiveness to those who made him suffer through things that nobody should suffer through.

Palin-

I think she is spunky and courageous. I think she has a ton of common sense and can see things through the same lens that the average American sees through. I think she is a great role model for women. I think she is passionate and gutsy and idealistic (which I consider to be a good thing).

Democrats in general-

I think the majority of Dems care about the well being our nation's citizens. I think that the changes they propose mostly come from a place of compassion and empathy. Obviously there are exceptions.

I like that the Dems are big on strong public schools.

Republicans in general-

I think the majority of GOPs expect that the citizens of our nation are more than able enough to make something of themselves. I believe that many of them feel that the citizens would be better off left alone by the government to live their lives the way they see fit. Obviously there are exceptions.

I like that the GOP is big on educational choices.

Either way, we are going to be okay. We do actually have a system of checks and balances in this country so that the more extreme ends of either side of the aisle will be reined in a bit.

In watching all the politics going on right now one thing that is very apparent is the huge divide between the two prevailing political philosophies. I cheer on my side, but I despair that any common purpose can be found. Without common purpose, we are not a united nation despite our name. For many years now, its been an us versus them political world.

:grouphug: Awesome thread!

I want to address your statement above, then I'll tell ya what I admire about Barack Obama.

We are united in that we are Americans. Consider the 2000 election -- one of the most hotly contested and contentious in our history. We were extremely divided before, during, and after that election. Then what happened? September 11th. Regardless of the events that have unfolded since, I remember vividly and fondly the days following that horrific tragedy. American flags were flying from every house on every street (seemingly). Our politics and ideologies were unable to unite us, but our common purpose -- that of being Americans under attack -- did unite us. How I wish that feeling would've lasted...but it hasn't. We've had much to disagree over since then, but the lesson has remained with me. Although we may disagree on policies and principles, we are, above all else, Americans. We come together in the same way families do when we were threatened. I am thankful that we are back to arguing over politics -- it says to me that there is nothing tragic causing us to put aside our differences and bind together. That's a good thing.

Now, as for your original question: I admire absolutely everything about Barack Obama. The man is bright, principled, well-spoken, inspiring, amiable, charming, funny, and he shows all signs of being a wonderful husband and father. I *strongly* disagree with his answers to most of our problems (not all of them by any means), so I won't be voting for him.

For the record, I am a registered Republican who has voted Democratic before (once) -- and lived to regret it ;)

......this will sound so shallow.....but......he is awfully handsome. Not that we elect people based on looks, but if we did.......

WoooHoooo.....I wondered who was gonna take it there. If Obama gets elected here's one gal who willl faithfully tune in for every presidential address.....now if only he'd do them shirtless..........;)

I am totally for Obama and Biden.

Having said that--I am so proud to be here to see a presidential ticket with not only a black man running for one of the major parties, but also a woman! I honestly never thought this day would come so quickly!

I also think Sarah Palin is a smart, courageous person, ready to get in there and fight. I like that she is for protecting Alaskan wildlife, and does know that global warming is a fact.

I also really like that McCain has a daughter who is adopted from another country and race (she is from Bangladesh). And the courage and loyalty he showed while he was a prisoner of war is truly unbelievable.

By the way, to those who have mentioned it, Obama is supposed to have never played the race card. The other African American famous for that is Bill Cosby--well known for never having used foul language or race in any of his comedy shows or acts :).

This is a wonderful thread!

I am very liberal regarding social issues. I am conservative regarding money/independence issues. Both candidates have positions that I am dead set against, and other positions that I agree with. This is going to be a very difficult choice for me, although I'm leaning heavily toward Obama.

So, that said - I admire McCain for his military service and for being the first Republican to pick a female candidate. For our democracy to be truly representative we need more "types" of people in all the offices - men/women, black/white/hispanic/etc., Christians/Jews/Muslims/Agnostics/Atheists, and so on. Someday I hope that race, gender and religion will simply mean nothing in politics.

I admire Palin for her willingness to step into the fray. She will be slandered, smeared, berated for being in public service, berated for being a "bad mom", and so on and so forth. Good for her for being willing to take the path of women's rights one step further. I adamantly disagree with some of her positions, but I heartily cheer her for doing this "work" for all of us.

McCain- as a military wife, I admire his service to our country. And I'm not saying that lightly. I like that he is concerned about our enviroment. I truly hope if elected he will be the "maveric" everyone claims to be and does a much better job reaching across the isle than our last few presidents.

Pailin- Not that this is a voting issue, but I like that she's making the case for a working mom, so far in example only. If this is true reporting, I love her work on ethics reform in Alaska. If she's willing to truly be bipartisian, then I'd love her to somehow work under Obama's administration should he get elected. We need people with strong ethics more than we need party loyalty. (for both parties.)

Reason why I like Obama and Biden even though they aren't reasons to vote for them:

Obama- I think he and his family would make a great role model for every African American person in this country. As I saw in an interview last night, the generation that grew up with Obama as president would have completely different race conversations when they grew up. I would love a country where race truly wasn't a defining factor anymore.

Biden- Good old fashion family man. No hint of sexual scandles! I'm tired of turning on my tv and hearing about this person or that person, from both parties. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

:lurk5:

Great thread.

McCain -- I like that he reaches out to both sides of the political spectrum. He seems to have common sense (which we all know is highly uncommon, lol). I think he often approaches issues using common sense vs. a strict party line, and that's so refreshing.

Parabola, I appreciate you starting this thread. The negativity was about to sink me for the weekend. It bothers me greatly.

But thank you for saying this.

It really sorta grieves me to read the disparaging remarks, and see all the negativity...I'm with you in thanking Parabola for starting this thread.

I am touched by the Democrats' historic desire to take care of those who cannot take care of themselves, to protect workers, and to extend civil rights to all citizens. Someone famous once said something along lines of one could tell how great a nation was by how they treated their lowliest peoples. I am excited to see certain sectors, such as the Vermont Progressives and the West Virginia Mountain Party, reclaim basic democratic principles.

Sometimes though the Democrats' policies cross the line by interfering with and limiting the decision making freedom of sound minded able bodied adults.

I like that Republicans expect and encourage sound minded able bodied adults to make the most of their skills and talents to provide for themselves and their families. I appreciated them a few decades ago when they were more staunchly fiscally conservative.

I dislike their fondness for hierarchy and their difficulty with compromise.

I especially dislike the way they have allowed their party to be taken over by the strongly authoritarian religious right. In these parts, for many people, voting Republican is equated with voting for Jesus. Mixing religion and politics historically has made for a lethal brew. I believe that eventually young true conservatives will ultimately form new parties that harken back to basic conservative policies.

I respect the Libertarian philosophy of keeping government as small as possbile and providing ultimate personal freedom. But they tend to dismiss that there are things the government can do much more efficiently than inidividuals can. I dislike their position that the problem is government itself instead of the often corrupt or just plain inept people running the system.

I respect the Green Party's goal to protect the planet because it is the foundation for this thing called life and is what we leave to future generations. But they need to recognize that the people who are here now are important too.

I am sorry I "offended" someone by saying nice things about John McCain but then said who I am voting for. I can not for the life of my figure out why someone would be offended by my mentioning I am voting for Barack, but I am sorry I offended. :confused:

Were we not supposed to say who we are voting for? Oops. LOL!! I'm sure only a select few mind our blunders, Jedi. ;)

Starting with the most familiar to me and moving to the least:

1. Biden: I have always loved his straightforward, candid demeanor and admired his work on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. I love it when The News Hour invites him and Dick Lugar to talk foreign policy: Wow! Politicians who actually answer questions, exhibit functional collegial relationships, and appear to genuinely respect one another!

2. McCain: Another senator whom I have long admired for his candor and independence. Like so many, my mind boggles when I consider his military experiences. I'm in awe of that kind of character.

3. Obama: Only time will enable us to determine if the young people mobilized by his campaign remain motivated to participate in politics--but if they do, then he will have changed the face of the American voter. I didn't think it could be done. He has charisma to spare.

4. I know very little about her except what I've read in the past couple of days. Busy mom running for vice president? Wow. You go, girl.

But thank you for saying this.

It really sorta grieves me to read the disparaging remarks, and see all the negativity...I'm with you in thanking Parabola for starting this thread.

I am pretty sure ... certainly, I *hope* ... that if you look back through my posts, I have not made any posts that contain personal attacks on anyone running. I can debate any issue, and I love a good debate. And yes, I do enjoy a good snark ;-) I think any candidate is fair game for mocking and making fun of, and I have certainly been known to mock 'em from any and all parties. If I can laugh at your candidate, but not at mine, I think that points to a problem in my own thinking.

I so wish political discussion, debate, and humor would not devolve so quickly into mean-spiritedness. It is depressing. It accomplishes nothing. It gets us nowhere. It does not further the case for any side. It does not gain converts. It does not change votes.

While I want to debate and to stand up for the candidates I support, I do not want to be a part of that negativity. I certainly don't want to further it. If I forget, and lose my mind, and post anything mean-spirited about a candidate, I call upon all of you to whack me back into my senses, 'kay?

I am pretty sure ... certainly, I *hope* ... that if you look back through my posts, I have not made any posts that contain personal attacks on anyone running. I can debate any issue, and I love a good debate. And yes, I do enjoy a good snark ;-) I think any candidate is fair game for mocking and making fun of, and I have certainly been known to mock 'em from any and all parties. If I can laugh at your candidate, but not at mine, I think that points to a problem in my own thinking.

I so wish political discussion, debate, and humor would not devolve so quickly into mean-spiritedness. It is depressing. It accomplishes nothing. It gets us nowhere. It does not further the case for any side. It does not gain converts. It does not change votes.

While I want to debate and to stand up for the candidates I support, I do not want to be a part of that negativity. I certainly don't want to further it. If I forget, and lose my mind, and post anything mean-spirited about a candidate, I call upon all of you to whack me back into my senses, 'kay?

Me too. I have honestly tried to not make any tacky comments. I have tried not to dishonor any candidate. I just like debating.

But if you find me insulting a candidate, please, give me some negative rep and tell me why you are giving it to me. And feel free not to sign your name. Or to sign it. Whatever you like to do. But if I am a jerk, call me on it.

I am sorry I "offended" someone by saying nice things about John McCain but then said who I am voting for. I can not for the life of my figure out why someone would be offended by my mentioning I am voting for Barack, but I am sorry I offended. :confused:

Well, we were asked to say nice things about whichever candidate we're not voting for, and the OP stated who she is voting for, so I don't see any problem with your post.

Do any of you ever ponder what would have happened if JFK, Jr. had lived long enough to eventually run for political office? His father was a visionary (IMO). Kennedy, Jr. also had a youthful vigor and creative ideas. I'm saddened that he didn't get the opportunity to try his hand in national politics.

Regarding Obama, he is a fabulous speaker. I was captivated by his intensity, despite disagreeing with his philosophy, still HAD to listen to his speech. No matter what the outcome of this election, he will do great things in this world.

Strictly judging by their voting records on various issues,I find things that I strongly agree with for each of them.And things that I do not agree with.I'll be trying to listen closely to what they say over the next few months.I really hope I can make a decision that I feel comfortable with when it is time to vote.

On a strictly personal level I suspect I would probably have more in common with,and more to talk about, with McCain/Palin than Obama/Biden.But I can't let who I'd prefer as guests at my picnic be my deciding vote.

I've always voted Democrat in presidential elections but I really don't know this year.Maybe some of it is in response to my disappointment with the way the Democratic party's politics played out over the past months.Maybe it's because I find myself agreeing more with the Republicans on some issues as I get older.I don't think it's going to be an easy decision for me.

Really? Why not?

Don't worry Donna, apparently the fact that I've never voted republican and don't see myself doing so is "disparaging" in and of itself. :lol:

I was just trying to explain my background, so the rest of my post could be seen in context.

I thought we all did a good job here, nice to see it ladies (and Bill)!!

All right...your chance to read a true "I'm on the fence" post! :D

I really admire Barak Obama as a person. I am SOOO tired of politicians rolling in money!!! I had long wondered when we would get a politician who didn't come from a wealthy family -- one who made their own way in the world. How can they relate to the average American when they've never BEEN an average American?

There are Republicans -- *cough* like George Bush -- who have led very sheltered lives, and then there are Democrats who talk a good talk -- *cough* like John Edwards -- who lives in a 28,000 sf house but talks about helping the poor and worries about global warming.

I really really really wish we had SOME form of universal health care!! I'm not entirely sold on the socialist / Canada style of health care, but...my husband cannot get health insurance for himself. We have it, for myself and my children, but because he's a diabetic, they won't cover him. Umm...hello? Who do you think needs to be insured in our family the most?!?!

And I really hope and wish that Obama, should he be elected, does succeed in reforming health care. But...I also voted for Bill Clinton, during his first election, because Hillary promised the same thing and it wasn't delivered. So that makes me a little more wary about trusting that Obama can get it done.

McCain -- I love the Republican support for homeschooling, obviously!! I admire his service to our country in Vietnam. But .. I don't believe Republicans always do what's best for the environment and I believe they too often help big business -- why am I paying $4.00 a gallon for gas, while Exxon makes $4 billion dollars profit in one quarter???

As I see it, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Right now, I'm leaning toward McCain...however, I'd say it's like 51% McCain vs 49% Obama. I really want to hear some presidential debates before I make my final decision.