Menu

Food for hotel advice?

T'smom

The kids and I are going to go with dh to a nearby city where he has to take a week long class. We're going because it's been so cold and we've been cooped up in the house too much. There is a pool at the hotel, so the kids can get a lot of energy out and I think the change of scenery will be good for us. There is a science museum near the hotel and hopefully we can find some other things to do- I have never been to this city, so I am completely unfamiliar with it. BUT the possibility exists that the weather will be bad and I won't feel comfortable driving in it. Which means we would be spending a lot of time in the room. So I want to be prepared with lots of food and activities in case we can't get out as much as we want. The kids LOVE to swim, so we will do that a lot. There is a mini fridge and microwave in the room. Ideas for food/activities? Kids are 7, 4, and 8 months.

Hopefully the hotel serves free breakfast. If it does, make sure to take advantage!! Otherwise, cold cereals and milk are obvious breakfast choices, as would be instant oatmeal/grits/etc. Single serve yogurts are good, too. And fruits. 

I'd bring the above for breakfasts if no free breakfast. Also, I'd bring . . . (this is honest . . . and mostly junk . . . so what, it's vacation . . .)

+ a couple rolls of papertowels

+ plastic cups

+ paper plates

+ plastic utensils (plenty, don't bother washing and reusing)

+ powdered lemonade mix 

+ case of water

+ sodas

+ instant hot cocoa mixes plus marshmallows, plus enough microwave safe mugs for everyone

Snacks:

+ cheez-it or similar

+ crackers

+ squeezie cheese

+ cheese sticks or similar

+ apples, bananas, grapes

+ yogurts

+ trail mix

+ granola bars

+ pop tarts

+ ramen noodle or similar instant cup of soup

My kids are bigger and so eat tons, lol, so I see my list is really long. I tend to buy heaps for hotel food, and just take the left overs home (and/or consume them on the road home). I figure it's worth over-shopping pre-trip to avoid impulse shopping $2 candy bars and $1.50 pop . . .

Honestly, I'd eat out for most lunch and dinner if at all possible (and eat at the hotel for breakfast -- either cereals in the room or at the free buffet if they have one) . . . I've found it not much more expensive to just go buy takeout for everyone than to try to eat in the hotel. That's probably because I'm not good at it, and just buy everything that looks tasty in the snack aisle. LOL. At hotel-with-pool adventures with kids, I often had pizza delivered for dinner (and you could likely do that for lunch instead of dh is gone and you have no car) . . . or I'd find some Subway or better yet, a "counter service" one-step-above fast food (Chipotle, Moe's, etc.) and I'd zip out while the (older!!) kids were showering post-pool and pick up dinner for us to eat in the room. Saved time and trouble. Your kids are too young to leave, of course, but if you can time things so that dh or you can run out and pick up dinner for the nights you aren't going out . ..  to eat in the room during or after the kids post-pool-pre-bed baths . . . that works pretty well IME. Your kids are so young, you could likely get away with just real meals for you and dh and splitting a third meal for the kids (adding in some healthy snacks brought from home). 

Hotels often have information on how to get to local attractions, both driving and public transit. You might find out if public transit is an option. That might a fun part of the adventure for the kids.

I would bring food whether or not there was bad weather. Check to see if your hotel has a complimentary breakfast and see what they provide. You might be able to grab some fruit yogurt and boiled eggs to use for lunch protein. I can't eat multiple meals out. My list would start with

Apples

Celery

Cucumbers

Baby carrots

Peanut butter

Jelly

Humus

Maybe boiled eggs And yogurt if not available there

Loaf of bread

A loaf of home made banana bread if no hotel breakfast

Cheese sticks

Don't forget things like a small cutting board, vegetable peeler, and knife

This was very helpful! I would not have thought to take disposable plates and stuff, but that could be a lifesaver! And squeeze cheese and pop tarts would be the kids favorite thing of the trip. That is usually reserved for camping in the summer. I wouldn't have thought of a cutting board/knife either.

We didn't have a stove for a couple of months recently and I found some very decent microwaveable foods out there. Individual Mac and cheese packets, instant rice (heat in the bag), even some Indian dishes that were quite delicious. Might be worth looking into real, if instant, foods; a week is a long time to survive on treats.

Since you have a fridge, I would cook entire meals ahead of time and label them. Pasta salads, cooked veggies, whatever proteins you eat, soups, casseroles: all will keep that long easily. Take a few packages of chopped salad greens, lots of fresh veggies and some salad dressing if you use it so you'll have enough fresh food. Fruit, of course, keeps well, and cheese, crackers and hummus would be staples. Really, I'd think almost anything you eat at home would work fine if you are willing to prep ahead of time. If you can take a small crock pot, you can make oatmeal in that and not rely on potentially questionable hotel breakfasts.

Is the science museum huge and easy to get to? If so check for free days and/or whether or not it's reciprocal with a museum in your area...if it's free, huge and easy to get to you could spread it out over a few days.

Don't hesitate to use the lobby or the pool deck for a change of scenery to get out of the room. You could do stories, coloring books, board games etc.

Have fun!

We didn't have a stove for a couple of months recently and I found some very decent microwaveable foods out there. Individual Mac and cheese packets, instant rice (heat in the bag), even some Indian dishes that were quite delicious. Might be worth looking into real, if instant, foods; a week is a long time to survive on treats.

Since you have a fridge, I would cook entire meals ahead of time and label them. Pasta salads, cooked veggies, whatever proteins you eat, soups, casseroles: all will keep that long easily. Take a few packages of chopped salad greens, lots of fresh veggies and some salad dressing if you use it so you'll have enough fresh food. Fruit, of course, keeps well, and cheese, crackers and hummus would be staples. Really, I'd think almost anything you eat at home would work fine if you are willing to prep ahead of time. If you can take a small crock pot, you can make oatmeal in that and not rely on potentially questionable hotel breakfasts.

I really like all of your ideas, but if it's a mini-fridge, she won't be able to fit more than a few small items in it.

I really like all of your ideas, but if it's a mini-fridge, she won't be able to fit more than a few small items in it.

If you're driving, you can always take a large cooler. Keeping it topped off with fresh ice will be easy- I've never stayed at a hotel that didn't have an ice machine! 

Bring a large cooler if you have. Kids love topping up the ice in the cooler from the hotel's ice machine.   Since I don't drive, what we did was have hubby drop us off before his work at an indoor attraction and pick us up when he is done on the way back to the hotel.  Is the hotel pool outdoor or indoor?  We had stayed at a few with indoor heated pools.

For food, we just let kids have junk food as a treat so things like store bought/microwaveable mac n cheese, lasagna, instant noodles, burritos. 

Depending on your hotel facilities, we were holed up at Hyatt once that has a outdoor on the floor chessboard with big chess pieces and also drop in childcare.  So my boys didn't mind staying on hotel grounds while hubby attended a conference.

I second the big cooler idea and food suggestions above. Find out if there is a grocery store nearby where you could stock up midweek so you don't have to bring all the food with you..or if you forgot something.

Our kids always liked to have a map so they can see where we are and where we're going...a road atlas and map of the city/cities we're visiting.

I wish the science museum was free! It's not terribly expensive though, so I suppose if it is awesome, we could go back a second day. The hotel does have breakfast and we'll definitely do dinners out, since dh doesn't mind driving even in bad weather. Plus, his company is paying for his food! I doubt there is a subway, the city isn't that big - but since it will probably be quite a bit below freezing, public transport is not an adventure I want to have this trip. We can save that for the summer. The pool is indoor and we'll swim a lot. I was feeling a little anxious about this, but I think I've got a handle on it now. I'll take a bit of school stuff, a couple new books, markers and coloring books- with that and their electronics, I think they'll be happy when we're not in the pool. And hopefully the weather won't be too bad and the science museum will be great. We can be open to spontaneous adventures too!

I did this with my kids, years ago, two times when my dh had a week-long seminar in Atlanta. It was a little different for us than for you because the weather was warm and because Atlanta has a great public transportation system. Being a Chicago native, I was fearless about using it, too.

That said, routine is your friend.

Use the week to do nifty new stuff. Rather than your usual grammar workbooks, for example, have the kids write a story over the course of five days. Invest in some new read-alouds. Watch some science documentaries.

Another idea is to have tea-time down in the lobby. Often hotels have a coffee/tea/snack station set up permanently. Go at a certain time each day for high tea. Bring down the Ungame cards or some such to give you something interesting to talk about while you're down there. Or, if you'd rather not party in the public library, make a pilgrimage together to gather your supplies and have high tea in the room.

I don't know how many kids you have or their ages, but an extended board game can be fun. Set a time to play, and stop when that time is up. Continue on the next day. Some fun ones for this are Monopoly or Risk or Life.

I would actually suggest you NOT bring tons and tons of stuff. Too many options in a small space can result in listless, whiny kids.

One last thought--is there a public library nearby? Story time there could be fun too.

When we do this sort of thing I make my kids eat BIG at the free breakfast. For them, that just means eating a meal.

I also go to Costco and get a huge thing of apples and grapes and keep them in the hotel room. Also Costco pizza is a great cheap meal.

I also go to Trader Joe's for food. They have a lot of frozen meals for the microwave too. Microwavealbe mac n cheese is big with one kids. Peanut butter too.

Also, use the ice machine. Cold water tastes way better than lukewarm.Can you

say where you'll be? There might be people on here who can offer better insight.

I agree: plastic plates, utensils and small baggys to hold food.

Also, if you really need food: you can always order Papa Johns. They will deliver straight to your hotel room or at least the hotel lobby.

Lastly, I never let my kids order drinks when we're out so no sodas or lemonade or whatever -- it just skyrockets the bill. (For fun I'll sometimes stop at McDonalds or Burger King and let them each get a cheap cone.)

Alley

Strongly seconding the crock pot idea. Especially for something like pulled pork or chicken, you can go out in the morning, get the food, stick it in the crock pot, and then head on out for the day and come back to dinner finished.

Check and see if there's other museums. I know your kids are young, but mine loved art museums even at those ages.

If you think you may go to the science museum for more than one day, check the price for an annual membership. A couple of trips may cover it, and then you could come and go at will all week. Does the museum have a restaurant?

If you have an electric skillet, you could cook a lot in that, even if just grilled cheese or quesadillas. If you do take anything to cook in while you are there, be sure to take a small bottle of dish soap, a dish cloth, and a dish towel so that you can wash up afterwards.

Wow. After reading the posts in this thread, I'm wondering where the "vacation" part of some of your trips comes in. It seems like it's more work to stay in a hotel than to just stay home.

I can understand having some snacks and drinks in the room, but bringing electric skillets and crockpots seems like a lot of trouble. I know it can get expensive to eat out, but I would prefer to take a shorter trip and spend the extra money on eat ping most of our meals out, rather than to have to try to prepare entire meals in a hotel room.

Wow. After reading the posts in this thread, I'm wondering where the "vacation" part of some of your trips comes in. It seems like it's more work to stay in a hotel than to just stay home.

I can understand having some snacks and drinks in the room, but bringing electric skillets and crockpots seems like a lot of trouble. I know it can get expensive to eat out, but I would prefer to take a shorter trip and spend the extra money on eat ping most of our meals out, rather than to have to try to prepare entire meals in a hotel room.

That's what I was thinking............... if we rent a condo, we'll usually eat breakfast in but the rest is out, except for maybe some munchies and beverages for when we are "in".

I've not ever taken an electric skillet to a hotel room, but I have taken a crockpot. When we traveled with dh for work to large cities, not only were things expensive; but taking small children to restaurants each night got old fast. We would be gone for two to six weeks at a time. If we happened to drive, I packed a few kitchen items. If we flew, I would buy them when we arrived. We could usually find a grocery store in the area, or a large drugstore with groceries. This made throwing a dinner in the crock ( on nights that we didn't go out or order in ) or packing a lunch quick and easy. A few hours of work in the beginning went a long way towards a stress free and fun trip for everyone.

I would bring a largish cooler along, even with the mini fridge. I wouldn't attempt to cook anything. If someone absolutely has to have hot food, head to the store and let each person choose a microwaveable meal one night. Otherwise in cases like the above, we live on "trip food". A cooler of adult and kid beverages and water. Yogurt, sandwiches, peanut butter, cheese, deli salads (if there is a whole foods there are some YUMMY deli salads...not cheap but cheaper than restaurants), nuts, olives, cheeses, crackers, snack foods, fruit, carrots, cookies... The sorts of things the kids really wish they could live on full time.

That's just me though. I'm with Cat. Hauling appliances isn't my idea of a vacation. We don't have a problem living on cold food for a while though.