Menu

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies--Christmas Cookie or Not?

Chris in VA

158 members have voted

1. 1. Do Oatmeal Raisin cookies qualify as a "Christmas" cookie?

Ok, I couldn't vote because of course my answer was other. Genereally speaking it is just an ordinary everyday kind of cookie. You know, something you would bake any given time you felt like having coookies, like chocolate chip or peanut butter. However, if you only bake them at Christmas time then in your family they would be a Christmas cookie. Fudge is like that in our family. I genreally only make it at Christmas so in our family it is a holiday treat, same with divinity.

In our house, oatmeal cookies would not have been considered Christmas cookies....that is, until dh had a heart attack and cookies became a rare commodity. So when I make cookies, it's an occasion, and if he chose oatmeal at holiday time, yep, it would be a Christmas cookie.  But honestly, dh would never pick that as a favorite, preferring chocolate chip or peanut butter. Nobody thinks those are holiday cookies, but since it's a huge treat for him, it's what he picks at Christmas. 

Oatmeal cookies seem kind of a sad indulgence for a Christmas cookie, now that I think of it. 

hmmm.... well I have pinwheel with crushed candy cane on the outside, ginger crinkles, homemade peppermint patty, soft sugar cookies in minecraft shapes (ya the kids helped with those ones), shortbread cookies, peanut butter cookies, or chocolate crinkles. Which ones should I eat in your honor? :001_tt2:

Wait, Minecraft shapes?  I want pics!

I would argue that Oatmeal raisin cookies are not cookies at all, they are a different version of oatmeal breakfast bars MAYBE.....now, if you use chocolate chips instead of raisins, they may constitute some semblance of a cookie!

Ok, settle an "argument."

One of us says oatmeal raisin cookies are just..."ordinary" cookies, and do not qualify as Christmas cookies.

One of us, who is wrong, says any cookie can be a Christmas cookie.

What do you think?

And, no "other" choice is offered, because I'm not talking about a suped-up cookie with extraordinary ingredients, just a plain, dull, ordinary, non-special oatmeal raisin.

I just asked ds and dh. Dh said, of course they are. When I asked why he said without missing a beat, 'because they've got raisins in them' :willy_nilly: :confused1: :driving:
Ds is on the nay side and his answer is a little more logical...'they sell them at WFs all year long and they don't contain anything red, green or peppermint.

If your family looks forward to having oatmeal raisin cookies at Christmas and would be upset if you didn't make them one year, then they are Christmas cookies. My MIL makes baked mac and cheese for Thanksgiving dinner. She often makes it at other times throughout the year when we go to visit, or they come here, but I think it's expected at Thanksgiving. So that makes it a TG food.

However, I wouldn't bring them to a cookie exchange. I'd bring something a little fancier. I wouldn't bring plain chocolate chip cookies to an exchange either. But if my family felt that oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip cookies were essential to the holiday experience, I'd make them for us and not quibble about it.

I like oatmeal raisin cookies, fwiw. Then again, I'm equal opportunity when it comes to cookies. The only ones I really don't like are the Italian ones, wedding cookies, maybe they are called? They're just too heavy and take too long to chew.

New thread coming. . .

Thank you for your responses--we had a good laugh.

I've told y'all this before, but Dh's mom was a single mom for several years when dh and his then-5 sibs were in grade school and younger. She used her food stamps to buy basic cookie ingredients, and then would make thousands of cookies and sell them at Christmas time for $ for presents and really, for necessities (they were Salvation Army angel tree recipients, too).

And she did make oatmeal raisin.

We always have cookies and eggnog the night we decorate our Christmas tree. This year, dh bought dough as a convenience for me (a sweet gesture--no pun intended!), and brought home OR cookie dough.

I enjoyed this lighthearted thread!!

Whatever cookie floats your boat, go for it, and enjoy whatever you may celebrate this season, even just being together with those you love. <3

While I think oatmeal cookies are an ordinary cookie, I also believe you can make any kind of cookie be a Christmas cookie.  Yes, usually Christmas cookies are fancier, but I love me some tried and true favorites at Christmas too.  We make "Christmas cookies" all year.  We are just a cookie loving household.

And I make the cranberry/white chocolate oatmeal cookies at least once a month so there would be nothing special about them at Christmas time.  I agree with cookie exchanges.  No store bought allowed, only good homemade ones.  Although, I like a variety of fancy and all-time favorites.  

I, too, believe raisins should not be in baked goods.  Ewww!  Personally I love oatmeal toffee cookies.