Menu

I feel like I just can't give my kids what they need

Aspasia

I'm feeling super overwhelmed. There are so many things I want to do with my kids for school and everything else, and I can't seem to do even a tiny fraction of them. I hardly read aloud to them, because it's so hard. DD2 just never quits. My older two weren't like her at all. She's a little tornado. And then by the time I have her in bed, I'm exhausted. I do manage to read to dd7 at least a little bit (we always have a read aloud going), and I do read a few picture books to everyone before bed, but I'm having a hard time fitting in any history reading during the day. DD2 has stopped napping for the most part. If I do get a nap out of her, she stays awake--coming out of her room and causing trouble--until 9:00-10:00, so that ruins whatever reading we could do at night. On top of that, dd7 wants to sew ornaments to sell to the neighbors. She's been dying to find something she can sell to make money. I want to help her do this, but I'm always on call for untangling knots and sewing mishaps. Ds4 loves crafts and always wants to do them. He also loves to play games. I feel like I'm always telling him, "Yes, we'll do that. But I can't do it right now." There are millions of things! They have a lot of cool interests that they want to explore, and ds4 is a really curious, bright little guy who wants to learn, learn, learn about all kinds of things. But I can't keep it up with it all.

Why can't I do any of these things? Well, because dd2 is always into something. I can keep her occupied for a little while with something like play doh, but she requires pretty close supervision with that, because she'll wander around the house squishing it into the carpet. Ds4 is always harassing dd2, and she has learned to fight back, so even though they'll play well together for a little while, it always ends in bickering and tears. And then there's the baby, who...is a baby. She needs a lot from me. And then there's the house, and the laundry, and the meals. I just feel like I can't get any of it done. I spend all day trying to keep up with it all, but really it just feels like mad chaos--I'm spinning in circles, always saying, "Yes, just a minute". As soon as I handle one person's problem, I move directly to help the kid who has been asking me for something all that time. In the mean time, the other three people are creating more messes for me to clean up. Or someone's hungry. Or, or, or. 

I don't know. I'm tired. And I feel like I'm missing opportunities to help my kids grow, just because it's all I can do to keep our home (barely) functioning.

ETA: So, while I was typing up my post, the older two were wrestling, dd2 clocked dd7 over the head with a hard toy, crying ensued. Baby was crying the whole time. I hauled dd2 off for a nap, which I think she'll actually take. So now would seem like a good time to read to the others,  (or do one of the many other things they want/need) right? Except that I'm so burned out from the morning, I just need some space!

:grouphug:

I'm so sorry you are frustratedĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..I remember being there.

First, it sounds like you ARE giving them lots of what they need!  A loving, caring, mom that wants to do fun and exciting things for them.

Secondly, I know this doesn't help right now, but you know it does get easier.  One day you will look back and wonder how you got through it, but right now, just keep plugging along.  It really sounds like you are doing a fine job.  Really, not everything can get done, so just do what you can.

One thing that I think helped me was putting stuff on a calendar.  You can find time to help with a craft sometime in this three day period.  Don't try to do any other big projects.  That is your three day period to help with sewing (or whatever).  If 4 year old asks to do something with you, then you can put it on the calendar.  That is the one thing that you will definitely get done.  You just can't do everything all the time, and that's okay.

You will make it through, and it will get easier.

Your kids are 2,4, and 7.....completely normal!!!

Next year when your oldest is 8 she will begin to transition to "big kid", and your toddler will be more of a preschooler. The chaos of now will be very different next year. Hang in there!

I firmly believe that most of little kidhood needs to be about showing love, developing a daily routine, and establishing good habits (discipline, tidiness, eating a good variety of nutritious foods, etc).

7 is still very, very young in the big picture of childhood. Really.

I could've written your post, so hugs hugs hugs!!!! I GET it! If nothing else, just know you are not alone and there are many of us out there are feeling exactly this way. Sometimes I feel like people would absolutely not believe what goes on in my house during the course of the day...and when people say "I don't know how you do it" I silently get a chuckle because I'm thinking how close I was to having a nervous breakdown that day! From what I hear, someday we'll look back at these years fondly so I try to remember that and cherish every moment-but it's still just HARD.

We've got similar problems around here, ds2 is the most time intensive toddler I have had, with the possible exception of my oldest but then it was only her I had to take care of.

I'm compromising by letting him watch a lot more videos than I think is healthy.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I've been there. I have four kids who are less than four years (total) apart in age. One of them has ADHD and has always been a huge handful. I am constantly saying, "not right now" to my kids when they have requests, and I don't have a good balance in our schedule as far as getting everything done. I haven't always handled my emotions well, and my usual state is one of feeling overwhelmed and like I am failing to adequately meet my childrens' needs. I totally get it.

I'd suggest thinking hard about what is really essential for school for the oldest. Math. Reading instructions and readalouds. Maybe writing or handwriting. For the rest, just cycle things in occasionally. Get a history or science book from the library once in a while and call it good. Read a picture book biography or science book once a week to your oldest before you do your other readalouds and count it as the history/science component of school.

I really tried to do too much when my oldest was in first and second grade and I had a pack of preschoolers/toddlers, so I'm counseling you to not be like me. Do a bit of school each day with the oldest and then gear the rest of your day toward the needs of the little ones. Perhaps you can find something that the oldest can do semi-independently while you are paying attention to the others, but make it something light and simple. Maybe an somewhat educational craft once a week that the others can do for fun. Have you seen History Pockets and Fairy Tale Pockets? Fun and educational at the same time (though you do have to spend a bit of time preparing the craft supplies). So you can do a craft altogether and count it as school time.

For readalouds, I found that I was most effective to read to them while they are eating breakfast or lunch. When they were little, I would have them watch a show while I prepared lunch and quickly ate my own, then I was able to sit and read to them while they ate. If your two-year-old is able to feed herself relatively independently, reading while she is busy with her lunch might help with your readloud issues. Work in some nursery rhymes to engage the interest of your younger children, because the rhymes are also extremely good phonological practice for early readers who are beyond the toddler stage (and have cultural and literary value for all ages).

Finally, it's really okay to say no to some things. You aren't going to be able to do it all, and that's okay. If your daughter wants to do a craft project for the neighbors but you can't fit it in before Christmas, maybe tell her you will have to do it for Valentine's Day instead and then set aside time to work on it once a week between now and then. Or if you have a nearby relative who has some spare time, perhaps you could ask them to help your daughter with her crafts.

Another thing that has helped in our home is to always put the kids to bed early. We finish supper around seven, then the bedtime routine begins. DH generally supervises this (except for baths, which I help with), since I need a break from childcare by that time of day. He spends a considerable amount of time reading to them after they are ready for bed. When they were preschoolers, they were in bed by 7:30ish, but now it's more like 8:30 most nights. Having reading time before bed has not always been peaches and cream -- we've really worked to get them to listen without interrupting or poking each other or doing other disruptive behaviors, and it hasn't been easy. Because they are natural interrupters and pokers and disruptors. But we've stayed committed, even on the nights when we feel discouraged that something that seems like it should be so easy -- reading to the kids before bed -- is so challenging.

Things have gotten easier over time, but not EASY. God gave us only one compliant child out of four, and we have some learning disabilities in the mix. I think that it is probably rare to have a parent who thinks they have it altogether, and I also think that some people find it easier to let things roll off, while others dwell and feel guilty about whatever they think are their shortcomings. I think if you can find a perspective that allows you to focus on what is best for each moment of each day and let go of the things that you don't get to, that you will personally have better mental health. You will never be able to do it all, so I would focus on what helps you individually be a more relaxed person. More sleep. More prayer or meditation. A little time each day to spend with just your husband after the kids are in bed. Or a little time each day for your husband to take over childcare duties so that you can have some moments to yourself. Half an hour to read a book for yourself or take a bath or get some exercise. If you can get to a better place mentally and emotionally, I think some of the other things will become easier. I am working on this myself, and it's a long road. I'm not there yet, but things are slightly better than they used to be. I tend to value time alone and stay up late to get it, so right now my goal is to get more sleep, because it will help me stay more even keeled during the day.

It's all a process. Since you have a baby in the mix, it adds another level of tiredness and stress to your life, but that will change over time, and things might start to look better.

It's so hard...

For reading aloud I will often put duplo out, start the kids playing, then read to them while they are playing. Sometimes they get too absorbed in play but most of the time the older two will listen and take in a bit.

The other trick is to get some good audio books for the car. This is how we've listened to quite a few good books and makes car trips peaceful too. Next up on my list is the sotw audio books. We also do Italian and if it's Italian day and were going somewhere we have Italian CDs in the car.

I hate it when the kids want to sew!!!! It is a nightmare. I wonder if you would be able to redirect the interest toward beading or something independent for a while.

I feel like I'm just coming out of that haze. My now 3 year old just went to sleep here (it's 2 am here cause he took a nap from 8-9 pm. sigh.)

Some advice that may or may not work for you:

Books on CD were a lifesaver. We have a CD player that we use good headphones with. It's a great way for my 8 year old to listen to a book and not have to hear the 3 year old since he is often loud and distracting. Of course, my 3 year old has his own CD player because if he didn't he would be trying to grab the other one.

We do art together (not really into crafts around here) and I've always given the toddler the same paper and art supplies (although I try to give him the lower quality stuff, but sometimes he notices.)

I have full time help around the house. I live out of the US and it is affordable where we are. Can you get a mother's helper or someone to come and clean even once a week?

Can you trade baby sitting with another mother of a toddler? I know you also have a baby so not sure how feasible that is, but it would be a great time to get activities/crafts done with little interruption.

Educational videos are great when you need a break.

Can you let your toddler take a bath while you read/do a craft with the older kids right outside the bathroom?

Toddler Busy Bags? Google them..

Good luck! It won't be forever..

I can't offer a lot of practical advice because I'm too far on the other side of little kid years ( my youngest is 13 and the oldest is 28) to remember how I coped but I can confirm that it will pass! They don't stay little forever.

One thing that did stand out is your comment about squishing play dough into the carpet. (Been there...done that!) Have you considered something like kinetic sand ( moon sand) get some of the cheap stuff and let her build and squish until her little heart is content. If she trails it around the house, just vacuum it up and move on. It might satisfy her tactile need while giving you a bit less hassle.  

Another thing my youngest loved was to dig his hands into the large rice container we had that held a 25 lb bag of rice. I would catch him in the pantry with his hands in the container just feeling the rice. (We got a separate container just for play. I KNEW where those little hands had been!) he loved flour as well. Maybe an inside 'sandbox' of some tactile things would keep her busy and let you just sweep or vacuum the mess.)

When I let a toddler play with PlayDoh or a rice tub or soapy water in a dish pan (with some towels on the floor), I baby gate them into the kitchen.  We have latches on the cabinets, so they can't get into anything dangerous, and all the mess is contained on the hard wood floor.  My rule (for myself) is to expect and be ready to cheerfully accept and clean up the worst...and obviously to make sure that worst isn't dangerous or disastrous.  I accept that they might eat the play doh or use the soapy water to give themselves a bath in their clothes or dump the rice from the bin (I'm judicious as to how much I give them).  Then if I come in and it isn't that big of a mess, I get to be pleasantly surprised.

Overall, I have found that as long as the mess is contained, it isn't that big of a deal to clean it up.  I give my toddlers plastic animals to stomp through the playdoh or cars to wash in the soapy water, and they will often be busy with that for 30-45 minutes.  Since they are in the centrally-located kitchen, I can get a lot done while glancing in on them periodically.  Then they spend 10 minutes helping me clean up, and it is normally time for lunch.

Wendy

(((hugs)))

Op, I have totally been there. Really it gets better. Really. Really. Really. I still have craft projects half done that my dd 1 and I started and couldn't finish and now she isn't interested anymore. Sometimes I feel guilty--but you know what? She is a delightful well adjusted girl despite not having finished them. I worked on our relationship--the activities are just activities.

The most important thing I did, when I had to drop so much I wanted to do and thought I should do is pick the one or two things (only) that made me feel like a good mom. I just reading aloud to my kids--chapter books and history. I dropped so much for a while that I thought I should do (baking with them, science experiments for little ones, going to the park all the time, etc). When I did what I loved and dropped the crazy making "have-tos" it all came together. As the youngest has gotten older I've added more in again and I hardly remember there was a time we didn't do it.

Okay, it's not perfect--yesterday we were doing some memory work and the cat started eating my palm tree and my two younger ones started banging on the floor and shooing her. I laughed (see I can laugh now) and said, "When I first read homeschooling books I had this wonderful vision of doing memory work and reading together all cuddled and happy on the couch. No one told me there would be toddler climbing all over my head and cats eating palm trees!" Then ds 2 says, "Don't worry, even if the cat wasn't eating the palm we still wouldn't happily be doing memory work." Yeah! Just keeping it real!

One thing I did with my youngest during read alouds (and wish I'd done with my middles, but couldn't bring myself to) was tell her how I wanted her to behave during read alouds and if she didn't I picked her up and put her in a gated bedroom. She did scream. But it did work and quickly. I also moved most of my read alouds until after her bedtime. She went to bed a lot earlier than the others (and was UP earlier, but I dealt with it bc I really wanted the read alouds). You couldn't do that with a ton of things, but for one or two things that really matter to you.

Oh, and my last two bicker(ed) far more than my other combinations ever did/do. When they were suppose to play together while I was working with the older ones I ended up putting them in front of Cat in the Hat and Peg plus Cat. For two years they watched those shows. I felt guilty, but it was better than me going crazy. And they learned a TON of science facts and skip counting to boot. And now they don't need it anymore.

So, you can do it--but maybe you need to take a deep breath, cut back and realize it won't look like your perfect vision of homeschooling. When dd2 was 4 I all of a sudden realized that, for the first time, homeschooling "looked" like I had thought it would.

Most of all take care of you. Get out with some friends. Get some sleep!

When I let a toddler play with PlayDoh or a rice tub or soapy water in a dish pan (with some towels on the floor), I baby gate them into the kitchen.  We have latches on the cabinets, so they can't get into anything dangerous, and all the mess is contained on the hard wood floor.  My rule (for myself) is to expect and be ready to cheerfully accept and clean up the worst...and obviously to make sure that worst isn't dangerous or disastrous.  I accept that they might eat the play doh or use the soapy water to give themselves a bath in their clothes or dump the rice from the bin (I'm judicious as to how much I give them).  Then if I come in and it isn't that big of a mess, I get to be pleasantly surprised.

Overall, I have found that as long as the mess is contained, it isn't that big of a deal to clean it up.  I give my toddlers plastic animals to stomp through the playdoh or cars to wash in the soapy water, and they will often be busy with that for 30-45 minutes.  Since they are in the centrally-located kitchen, I can get a lot done while glancing in on them periodically.  Then they spend 10 minutes helping me clean up, and it is normally time for lunch.

Wendy

I did this too. I let my youngest play in the sink with running water. The waste drove dh crazy, but the peace was awesome! I also would give her bowls of cheerios and let her throw them one by one on the floor. My friends laughed at me about that one. Oh--and empty kleenex boxes. LOL

I did this too. I let my youngest play in the sink with running water. The waste drove dh crazy, but the peace was awesome! I also would give her bowls of cheerios and let her throw them one by one on the floor. My friends laughed at me about that one. Oh--and empty kleenex boxes. LOL

I've done full kleenex boxes too.  And then when they have pulled them all out, I open up the side of the box, stuff all the kleenex back in and tape it up again so they can play again another day.  I also gather up all my junk mail, slit the tops of the envelopes and give it to my toddlers to "help Mama with the mail". 

Oh, my toddlers also LOVE playing in the bath tub.  I get them set up in there while I sit in the bathroom and nurse the baby, fold clothes, read aloud to older kids, etc.

Wendy

I could have written this post, and part of the problem is that I am tired of cleaning up the allowed messes - the sink, the tissue boxes, the scrap paper. I'm tired of cleaning up their creativity. I'm tired of reading aloud. I'm tired of playing board games with them (while toddler chews on the pieces). I'm just burned out on normal kid stuff.

I feel guilty about it, but I get resentful of the littlest one because it seems that everything my older kids want to do, every creative project or field trip idea or even just going for a walk in the woods gets shut down because, baby. Naps or illness or too cold or just too heavy to carry (even in a carrier). They used to be able to play on the floor, then only on the tables, now he's climbing all the tables and chairs and desks and even the gates themselves.

I've even told them they can't go outside on nicer days because I couldn't handle the toddler screaming inside the whole time, upset because he couldn't go out too, and I'm too busy sanitizing bathrooms after illness or doing laundry so we can actually leave the house to take the little one out.

The whole idea behind homeschooling was to let them BE kids, and I feel I'm constantly asking them to stop being kids because I'm like 900% done with it. I don't worry too much about the stuff I've picked out that we don't get to (content type school stuff), but I do worry that after being told, "No, not now, I'm too busy/sick/tired etc." they'll stop asking to learn things. DS6's obsession is cooking, DS5 loves paper crafts, but both require more supervision than I can give right now. When I do set everything aside and give them what they need, I end up mad and frustrated at being behind at housework and cooking and what does a grown up book look like? And that's with everyone else pitching in. What's the point of letting them follow their interests if I keep telling them "I can't help you right now, and I have no idea when I can"?

I had a medical test done today and DH sat in the waiting room with the boys for about two hours (it felt like a spa vacation, except for the whole IV thing). They are actually very well behaved and never even got restless enough to get out the screens (they read and played card games), yet DH came home and slept for an hour just from being dad-in-charge. If that's the condition my backup is in, then I don't have much hope of a break anytime soon.

I could have written this post, and part of the problem is that I am tired of cleaning up the allowed messes - the sink, the tissue boxes, the scrap paper. I'm tired of cleaning up their creativity. I'm tired of reading aloud. I'm tired of playing board games with them (while toddler chews on the pieces). I'm just burned out on normal kid stuff.

I feel guilty about it, but I get resentful of the littlest one because it seems that everything my older kids want to do, every creative project or field trip idea or even just going for a walk in the woods gets shut down because, baby. Naps or illness or too cold or just too heavy to carry (even in a carrier). They used to be able to play on the floor, then only on the tables, now he's climbing all the tables and chairs and desks and even the gates themselves.

I've even told them they can't go outside on nicer days because I couldn't handle the toddler screaming inside the whole time, upset because he couldn't go out too, and I'm too busy sanitizing bathrooms after illness or doing laundry so we can actually leave the house to take the little one out.

The whole idea behind homeschooling was to let them BE kids, and I feel I'm constantly asking them to stop being kids because I'm like 900% done with it. I don't worry too much about the stuff I've picked out that we don't get to (content type school stuff), but I do worry that after being told, "No, not now, I'm too busy/sick/tired etc." they'll stop asking to learn things. DS6's obsession is cooking, DS5 loves paper crafts, but both require more supervision than I can give right now. When I do set everything aside and give them what they need, I end up mad and frustrated at being behind at housework and cooking and what does a grown up book look like? And that's with everyone else pitching in. What's the point of letting them follow their interests if I keep telling them "I can't help you right now, and I have no idea when I can"?

I had a medical test done today and DH sat in the waiting room with the boys for about two hours (it felt like a spa vacation, except for the whole IV thing). They are actually very well behaved and never even got restless enough to get out the screens (they read and played card games), yet DH came home and slept for an hour just from being dad-in-charge. If that's the condition my backup is in, then I don't have much hope of a break anytime soon.

I remember the toddler screaming about the olders outside, too. I promise it will get better. My kids weren't damaged at all by having to make allowances for the toddlers. I don't think they remember. But I remember feeling like you. Try to get some breaks, if you can.

Okay, so now that everyone is in bed, I'm thinking back to when I wrote my post this morning. It's pretty bad, huh? It was so loud and maddening. Since then, I've calmed down a bit and gained a little perspective. I told dd7 that the ornament sale just isn't going to work this year. We didn't start it early enough and we won't be able to do a very good job. So we're going to work on it over the next year, sew a bunch of ornaments, and start selling them before Thanksgiving next year. In the meantime, I told her we can think of other things to sell after Christmas. She seems okay with that plan. So that makes me feel better already.

The reading thing...oy. We have done lots of audio books in the past, and I happen to have picked up some new ones last week at the library, so I'm going to move in that direction. For science, well, luckily my kids really like Wild Kratts.

As for the toddler, I usually do keep the play dough and other mess-making items locked up. But sometimes, when she gets really involved in it, I do use that time to get something outside of the room done. The play dough squishing in carpet thing has happened only once, but it was two days ago, so it's fresh on my mind. She just requires more supervision than my other two did!

It doesn't help that dh has been out of town since last Friday. And it's Friday. I tend to be super fed up by Friday. He's coming home tomorrow, so hopefully I can recharge. But mostly, I think I just have a general feeling of overwhelm, and every now and then it comes to a head. Today it just happened to occur in the midst of the crafting extravaganza, so I zeroed in on that. 

Anyway, thank you all so, so much for your advice and encouragement and commiseration. Sometimes I think that's all I need. <3

Now I'm gonna go eat some ice cream and veg.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

You just perfectly described life with small children. You are doing just fine. Sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping them fed, relatively clean, and alive. The rest can wait. All the things that you are worried about not providing are "extras". It is okay if you don't get to it right now or ever.

My advice is to simplify, simplify, simplify. Then work on having a regular daily routine and work on getting the children to help with the daily chores. It takes time and patience but little kids can do a lot if you let them, and it helps to reign in the chaos by keeping them busy working with you.

Susan in TX

I did preschool too and WAY too much Thomas. Some kids are just *more* than others. More intense, more active, more curious. My boys were both into *everything* as toddlers and I could get nothing accomplished unless I had preschool and enforced quiet time. They are wonderful, interesting, insightful kids that outside teachers love now that they are older, but I barely survived their toddler/preschool years and everyday was an adventure in preventing them from burning the house down literally. This too shall pass. You will be able to get so much more done in future years (even all those fun projects!).

We've got similar problems around here, ds2 is the most time intensive toddler I have had, with the possible exception of my oldest but then it was only her I had to take care of.

I'm compromising by letting him watch a lot more videos than I think is healthy.

Yeah this. My 3rd was a huge handful too. From about 4months old until 4years old we were just surviving with him. He watched too much tv.

He is becoming quite a pleasant preschooler now though, the consistency and hardhardhard work is starting to pay off.

Hugs bucolic, it is hard. It is frustrating and exhausting.

You sound like you're doing a great job. I agree with pp about routine & discipline, those don't come naturally to me at all but make a big difference in how smoothly this crazy operation runs (if I'm consistent...)!

How about perler bead ornaments instead (those little plastic beads that you iron)? Or she can make things from poly clay. My dd8 wants to sew ornaments too, and we've managed two this year, but she more frequently is asked to do a craft that is more independent. As for reading, hopefully your dd will start reading more independently too, and that way she can read great books to you while you do play dough with the two year old or feed the baby. :) Also, baby gates and toddler proof toys are my best friends right now. ;)

So, I know you have all the time in the world to go reading various web pages :sarcasm:  but here are some links to various pages listing various ways to busy little hands during the school day :)  I'll scan through them in a minute and copy/paste whatever pops out, but you may want to peruse them yourself...  if you get a free minute <3

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2011/09/keeping-your-toddler-occupied-during-school-time.html

http://www.pinterest.com/LaurenVHill/keeping-the-littles-busy-during-school/

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/12-tips-for-keeping-toddlers-busy-while-homeschooling.html

http://teachbesideme.com/keeping-toddlers-busy-during-homeschool/

Oh my word. I could have almost written this same thing. I have a newborn, 1 yr old, 2 yr old, 4 yr old plus 6 older kids I homeschool. Things are crazy. The newborn is a fussy little thing and seems to scream all day. The toddlers are little tornados. They can wreck a room in 30 seconds. They turn on the bathroom sink and leave it running, climb all over every table we have so the kids can't leave anything out. If they want to play a game they have to lock the toddlers out so they don't ruin everything. It's so hard to have babies and kids. I think back to when I just had one or two kids and things were soooo easy. Life was good. I was an amazing mommy. I wish I could go back to that time and soak it all in.

The first link - the lady gives her little one tasks to do during school time, pre-set in a work box.  Little things like transferring pompoms to what looks like an ice tray using oversized pinchers (like tweezers, but not sharp) and then transferring them to a cup.  

Egads, the second link is a page of links to a million different lists of things to do o.O  I'll check that out later......

Third link - some good stuff here!  Hole punchers are amazing.  Hand them one and let them go to town.  Find the puzzle pieces...Â Ă¢â‚¬Å“Hide puzzle pieces in a tupperware bowl with dry beans. He fishes them out and puts the puzzle together.Ă¢â‚¬ For younger kids you could just hide fun items Ă¢â‚¬â€œ figurines, cotton balls, maybe even a box of raisins at the bottom.  Special school-time-only crafts  Bring out a special box of stickers, stamps and paper that are only available during class time (or in the case of my tattoo happy toddler, just stickers and paper).

Fourth one - more links to links :p  She does have a nice list set up, these two are good:  Lacing Beads~ string and beads can keep kids entertained for a while.

Lacing cards are also lots of fun!

Regarding lacing - You can use old shoe laces or yarn or whatever, big macaroni type noodles.  Granted, you probably won't want to eat them afterwards, but if you play your cards right you could end up with a nifty necklace.  Card stock and a hole punch work for lacing cards :)

I'm putting on my flameproof suit here but my youngest spent time either gated in a pretty bare room except for a few toys, watching tv or in a octagonal gate thing we had. Not all day of course, but for 20 minutes or so at a time. Yes she sometimes screamed but she's a bright 7 year old none the worse for wear. Just a thought. You have my hugs and prayers. They are hard years.

This page almost makes me wish I had another little one........

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/preschool_activities.htm#Susie

So-many-activities!!!!!

---------------

Okay, I will not barrage you with more.  I really hope that you find a few things you can put together for the younger ones that will give you the quality time you hope to get with your little big man.  

One last thing, when my youngest wanted more than anything else to sew, I cut the top off an oatmeal container to make a hoop, drew a simple picture on a piece of cloth with a red marker and had him do redwork.  They do it on their own, once you show them the basic stitch and it really is a beautiful little accomplishment to hang up when he's done.

Oh yeah and when I got the dried beans out for these kiddos to play with they just threw it all on the floor and I'm still finding beans all over my house months later. Bath time is always short or they will soak the floor. It's their mission to soak me as quick as possible.

It never crossed my mind to do this with my youngest.  

Although, I did used to put him on the porch in the summer with a cup of water and a paintbrush :p  He'd paint and paint and paint and splash and paint all over that porch :p

The first link - the lady gives her little one tasks to do during school time, pre-set in a work box.  Little things like transferring pompoms to what looks like an ice tray using oversized pinchers (like tweezers, but not sharp) and then transferring them to a cup.  

Egads, the second link is a page of links to a million different lists of things to do o.O  I'll check that out later......

Third link - some good stuff here!  Hole punchers are amazing.  Hand them one and let them go to town.  Find the puzzle pieces...Â Ă¢â‚¬Å“Hide puzzle pieces in a tupperware bowl with dry beans. He fishes them out and puts the puzzle together.Ă¢â‚¬ For younger kids you could just hide fun items Ă¢â‚¬â€œ figurines, cotton balls, maybe even a box of raisins at the bottom.  Special school-time-only crafts  Bring out a special box of stickers, stamps and paper that are only available during class time (or in the case of my tattoo happy toddler, just stickers and paper).

Fourth one - more links to links :p  She does have a nice list set up, these two are good:  Lacing Beads~ string and beads can keep kids entertained for a while.[/size]

Lacing cards are also lots of fun!

Regarding lacing - You can use old shoe laces or yarn or whatever, big macaroni type noodles.  Granted, you probably won't want to eat them afterwards, but if you play your cards right you could end up with a nifty necklace.  Card stock and a hole punch work for lacing cards :)[/size]

Okay, you are an angel for doing this. Seriously, thank you so much!

Oh yeah and when I got the dried beans out for these kiddos to play with they just threw it all on the floor and I'm still finding beans all over my house months later. Bath time is always short or they will soak the floor. It's their mission to soak me as quick as possible.

Yeah, I've never done the sensory bin thing, because I just know this is how it would end. :)

(((Hugs))) I have one of those too. My first two kids were normal kids and did everything kids do. My youngest is just...more! More mischievous, more intense, more grumpy, more OCD, more messy, etc. I know you know what I'm talking about ;)

Homeschooling is so hard with toddlers! I had great plans this year as well, and so far, we're just doing the basics. Nothing else. I drown in laundry and lonely toddlers if I try to do extras. I just keep saying to myself that next year will be easier, and the next year even easier....Of course I know that each age brings it's own challenges, but I'm just so d.o.n.e. with the toddler stage.

DH and I have a joke here: we always planned on having 4 kids. Know why we stopped at 3? Because of #3!

Ok, that's terrible. But it's also true. I just don't want to do the infant/toddler thing again.

Yep, that's exactly what happens here when we try to do those silly 'crafty' things.