Menu

Another concussion for my horse kid

fourcatmom

We are one week shy exactly of when my DD suffered a concussion last year and now tonight she has another one. It was during her lesson earlier today. I was right there watching and felt so helpless. There were several kids in the arena, too many as far as I am concerned. The horse behind her spooked and then her horse spooked. She didn't even see it coming. He threw her off head first into the rail. She immediately said her head hurt. I took her the ER and she didn't remember anything that happened, from just before to present. Her front and back of the head hurt. In the waiting room she kept saying it was too loud and the light hurt, she kept wanting to go into a cubby area where it was dark. She was also nauseous.

They did a CT scan and thankfully everything looked okay. Her arm is in a split and her leg is swollen and she has another concussion. We will follow up and do x-rays on her leg and arm if needed over the next few days but the ER was so busy they just did the CT and splinted the arm. It didn't seem broken so I was okay with that.

Just need to watch and keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours. I know she loves horses but this is getting tough. The doctor told her even though she was pretty banged up, she was lucky. I keep replaying the whole thing in my head over and over.

:grouphug:  Riding horses was an important part of my youth from age 8 up.  It kept me sane through my parent's divorce and beyond.  It led to our raising English show ponies throughout the past 17 years.  I know I had several spills... and I feel lucky that none were particularly bad.  Ok, maybe one, but I still patched that one up myself as it was mostly scrapes from being dragged across a road.  My only concussion came from a sledding accident (totally not horse related - just snow, a hill, and a tree).

But I know as a parent (now) it must have been tough, so I can't really offer advice.  Accidents definitely happen and once in a while they can be bad.  If this particular stable appears to not be as safe as it could, perhaps switching to another would be a happy medium?

Did she get a concussion despite wearing a helmet?  They do require students wear them, right?  There was an article on the effects of repeat concussions in the paper just the other day - not to spook you, but info to be aware of and watch for:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-concussions-kosta-karageorge-football--soccer-perspec-1204-jm-20141203-story.html

Helmets help with skull fractures, etc, but concussions are generally from the force of the brain hitting the inside of the skull, from what I remember, so not something a helmet can stop. It's from the motion being stopped suddenly, like with the rail/ground/etc. The head stops but brain keeps moving. 

So scary! (((Hugs)))

My dd used to ride & got thrown once fairly badly, requiring an ER trip. Thankfully, she was not badly injured but it was scary. Though she rode for awhile longer (another year & a half), the spark had gone out of it for her. She still loves horses & working with them (grooming, etc...), but has no real interest in riding anymore.

Thanks everyone. Yes she was wearing a helmet. She had gotten a new one last Christmas from a boardie that was a better one then her previous one. Might next step might be bubble wrap. I don't know. The barn manager was adamant that she at least get back on the horse before she left. Not to ride but just to sit and have a moment with the horse. I was really mad about that but I think its to help them not be as scared coming back? She had to have help getting on and just kept crying that her head hurt and she doesn't even remember getting back on the horse. I won't allow her back with that many kids again. There was just not enough space for them to react to unexpected things and the first horses rider just wasn't able to collect the horse quick enough to prevent this chain reaction.

Guest submarines

:grouphug: 

I'd be re-evaluating the safety of her lessons. She might not be ready for group lessons just yet. In our barn they move to group lessons when they are very secure and their seat and can handle spooks relatively well.

The barn manager was adamant that she at least get back on the horse before she left. Not to ride but just to sit and have a moment with the horse. I was really mad about that but I think its to help them not be as scared coming back? She had to have help getting on and just kept crying that her head hurt and she doesn't even remember getting back on the horse.

Now, I am not a person that is over-reactive, but I find this to be very concerning…..

Now, I am not a person that is over-reactive, but I find this to be very concerning…..

I agree. I don't know anything about horses, but my son plays hockey. Safety is the number one priority, and if the coaches so much as suspect a concussion, the kid gets off the ice and to the parent ASAP. There would be no "just one more shift", which is sort of what getting back the horse sounds like. I understand it in theory, but not if there's a true injury (instead of just a shake up, which this clearly was not).

I hope your daughter is okay. I agree with a pp--it can be hard to know where to draw the line. :(

Yeah I guess I was trying not to over react but as soon as she got on and wouldn't stop crying I told him and her that was enough and she was done. I think he has seen many kids fall and obviously get scared and maybe he thought she was over reacting. He did call several times checking in on her. I also think it helps them not come back and be so scared from the memory of what happened that they never get back on. Maybe it helps the horse too not sure. He stopped as soon as she was off and never left her side trying to put his nose near her face reaching out to her the whole time she was standing there.

Just to clarify she didn't ride the horse. She only sat and rubbed His head a few times. She had a spotter on each side and some one holding the horse. I actually was mad but it also gave me more info. I can understand her not knowing what happened but when we were in the car she had no memory of getting back on the horse that was a huge red flag for me.

Guest submarines

Just to clarify she didn't ride the horse. She only sat and rubbed His head a few times. She had a spotter on each side and some one holding the horse. I actually was mad but it also gave me more info. I can understand her not knowing what happened but when we were in the car she had no memory of getting back on the horse that was a huge red flag for me.

It seems that no one at the time knew that it was such a severe injury. If my DD were to fall off, I'd want her trainer to encourage her to get back on. This is needed both for the horse and for the rider.

Guest submarines

I believe it was the other child that wasn't ready. She had but a couple seconds before this horse literally ejected her into the fence.

This doesn't change the fact that there are children who are not ready in group lessons at this barn.

I just witnessed 2 horses spook in a group lesson of 3 riders (not DD) and both riders sat through it--circled their horses--and both reacted pretty much instinctually. One even asked the trainer when her horse was over it, "Huh? What just happened?" The trainer then "lectured" me on the importance of a secure seat. (this trainer is big on "educational lectures.")

The third rider reacted *before* her horse spooked. I got a lecture on the importance of preparation and awareness.

This trainer, btw, prides herself that in her 30 years of teaching her students never had a major fall, and even the minor falls she can count on her fingers.

Glad you are taking this seriously and that she was wearing a helmet which helped prevent an even more serious injury.  I would make sure to replace the helmet before she rides again.  Some makers like them shipped back so they can inspect them and help with quality control and improvements.

I had a bad fall 4 years ago from a horse and was extremely sore for a month.  I did have a helmet on which I replaced.  Looking back I should have gone to ER but instead loaded up my horse and DROVE myself back home......dumb, dumb, dumb.

Manager was not the trainer inside the arena, just to clarify. Yes, I believe it was a case of too many kids which did not allow enough space to really give them time to react. If they were spaced out more I do think my DD would have been able to collect her horse as she has before. She would have seen it happening but the other close was too close behind her so she really didn't even see it coming. But having it happen behind her with an inexperienced rider on that horse created an unsafe environment. She wont be doing group lessons anymore with more then 1 or 2 other kids and they will need to be at her level. We were going to go do a trial lesson at a jumping barn where she was going to get individual lessons but we will have to wait a bit on that.

This morning her ribs are sore and her neck hurts so we will monitor that and see if it changes. She hasn't needed any more motrin since the ER and that was about 10 hours ago so that is good. I hadn't thought about needing to replace the helmet, it did not break or crack but I will if that is what you are suppose to do.

Yes, you do need to replace the helmet if she hit her head at all.  Even if no damage is seen, the shock absorbing parts of the helmet might be compromised.  Some helmet makers will give you a free one or a discount to replace a damaged one.

:iagree:

A helmet can look flawless on the outside, but no longer by adequately protective.

Thank goodness she was wearing a helmet this time -- I shudder to think of how much worse her injuries could have been if she hadn't been wearing one or if it had fallen off her head as she fell!