Menu

People, it's soup weather....

Liz CA

That does sound good.  I too have put a hold on the library copy.

And, yes, it's soup weather here as well.  My husband made soup for dinner tonight, and it was delicious.  He made Portuguese Sweet Potato, Sausage, Kale Soup. He used Sweet Italian pork sausage (instead of turkey), two cloves of garlic (instead of six), and less of the red pepper than was called for. He also used fresh kale instead of frozen.

We serve it with fresh baked bread and butter.

Regards,

Kareni

It's 80 here during the days, but it was in the 60s when I woke up, so I just finished making soup.  I made a corn/potato chowder using Trader Joe's frozen fire roasted corn, those really tiny potatoes, and a can of green chills for a bit of kick.  (Not enough kick actually.)  Smells great. :)

It's 80 here during the days, but it was in the 60s when I woke up, so I just finished making soup.  I made a corn/potato chowder using Trader Joe's frozen fire roasted corn, those really tiny potatoes, and a can of green chills for a bit of kick.  (Not enough kick actually.)  Smells great. :)

I *literally* sat down at my computer just now to look up a soup recipe using TJ's fire-roasted corn and got distracted by the forums! I also have some of the tiny potatoes. What else did you use? Could it be veganized? It's still in the 90s here, but my family loves soup all year.

I *literally* sat down at my computer just now to look up a soup recipe using TJ's fire-roasted corn and got distracted by the forums! I also have some of the tiny potatoes. What else did you use? Could it be veganized? It's still in the 90s here, but my family loves soup all year.

I totally think it could be veganized.  I kind of winged it…. so I first sautéed some chopped onion, celery, and carrot in an olive oil/butter mixture.  I then added in the green chills, and salt and pepper, and made a roux with some flour (maybe 1/4 cup?)  While that was going on, I had the potatoes boiling in some chicken stock to cook, but you could use veggie stock.  Once the potatoes were cooked, I added in the frozen TJ corn for a few minutes.  Then I added the hot stock/potato/corn mixture to the roux slowly.  In the end, I finished with a bit of organic half and half that I had in the fridge, but you could omit, or use coconut milk or something else. :)

I think thyme may be good…or parsley….or chives…but I was going off what I had.

I kept making soup through the summer, because I roast a chicken or a roast regularly and then make bone stock. The extra meat went into sandwiches, wraps, and salads for the during the hot weather, but some of it went into the soup and the soup was canned and put in the pantry for the cold weather. Now it's time to start pulling them back out I guess.

I totally think it could be veganized.  I kind of winged it…. so I first sautéed some chopped onion, celery, and carrot in an olive oil/butter mixture.  I then added in the green chills, and salt and pepper, and made a roux with some flour (maybe 1/4 cup?)  While that was going on, I had the potatoes boiling in some chicken stock to cook, but you could use veggie stock.  Once the potatoes were cooked, I added in the frozen TJ corn for a few minutes.  Then I added the hot stock/potato/corn mixture to the roux slowly.  In the end, I finished with a bit of organic half and half that I had in the fridge, but you could omit, or use coconut milk or something else. :)

I think thyme may be good…or parsley….or chives…but I was going off what I had.

It also has to be GF--I'm thinking I could make a roux with cornstarch? I'm totally going to do this, but with a red chili, slit and cooked in it, then removed at the end. Thanks for posting!

It also has to be GF--I'm thinking I could make a roux with cornstarch? I'm totally going to do this, but with a red chili, slit and cooked in it, then removed at the end. Thanks for posting!

Yes, you totally can do cornstarch.  Amy's frozen corn and potato chowder which is GF, but vegetarian not vegan, is what inspired me.  I've been buying way too much of it, and it's a bit expensive. :)

Yes, you totally can do cornstarch.  Amy's frozen corn and potato chowder which is GF, but vegetarian not vegan, is what inspired me.  I've been buying way too much of it, and it's a bit expensive. :)

Earth Balance works fine for a roux, I can't have dairy.

If we all combine our powers we will know how to make all the things for all the allergies! :lol:

Earth Balance works fine for a roux, I can't have dairy.

If we all combine our powers we will know how to make all the things for all the allergies! :lol:

:)

I'm not sure if you want to do the roux bit, if you shouldn't try just a GF flour.

If I was going to use cornstarch, then I'd probably do the dissolve it with some broth, and then add it back in method.

But…I don't know.  I kind of experiment as I go along.  Normally, 95% of what I do is GF because of DS2…but he hates corn…and he can take or leave potatoes….so I wasn't worried about the soup. 

Oh….if you do have GF kids, look for a new chain called Burger 21.  They have the best GF menu I've ever seen…and one can even do GF buns on the kids meals.   http://www.burger21.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/13-BGR-Intl-1632-GFMenuEdits_Press.pdf

Some GF flour blends work for roux, but I'd probably purée some of the corn for a natural thickener. Cornstarch needs to be dissolved in cold water before being added to hot liquid. It would not work as flour does in making a roux.

Pfffftt... Still summer here. In the 90's yesterday, and upper 80's for the foreseeable future.

*So* ready for this eternal summer to end.

Can't like this enough!! I miss the winter up north, the needing to bundle up when going outside, the cold that hits your face when you walk out the door...

Oh….if you do have GF kids, look for a new chain called Burger 21.  They have the best GF menu I've ever seen…and one can even do GF buns on the kids meals.   http://www.burger21.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/13-BGR-Intl-1632-GFMenuEdits_Press.pdf

I will keep an eye on that, thank you! It doesn't look like they have any vegetarian options or are in TX, but I will be in line when they do!!!

Some GF flour blends work for roux, but I'd probably purée some of the corn for a natural thickener. Cornstarch needs to be dissolved in cold water before being added to hot liquid. It would not work as flour does in making a roux.

YES. I keep telling my husband to whisk up a slurry with cornstarch before trying to thicken.

Does anybody have a good recipe for a vegetarian or at least something I could use turkey bacon in rather than ham/pork navy bean soup? Being from Michigan, having soup made with Michigan navy beans was a bit of a tradition. I totally miss it.

This one is a favorite around here. I've made it vegetarian (no bacon) and vegan (coconut milk) before and it works really well. I usually use navy beans in it because I like them better than cannellini or other large beans.

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/butternut-squash-white-bean-soup

Thank you for this!  They're opening one near us soon - yay!  I'll have to check out how they handle our other allergies, but if they understand GF, then they understand X-contamination so we should be good.  So excited!

Oh how I wish it was soup weather. We might get a few days of soup weather before Thanksgiving, but I'm not counting on it. We usually have to wait until late December, and then we have a very short window. When a cold front arrives, I drop all my meal plans and work soups and stews in as much as I can because I know it won't last. 

I did save this thread from January

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/489750-soup/