Menu

One year ago today

Joanne

Dear Friends and Family,

One year ago today, my life changed forever. In a few seconds, I went from on my way to meet a friend at Denny’s to wondering if I was going to live through the EMS trying to cut me out of my car.

Although it’s been a year, people still ask me how I am. The answer is complicated. I have to admit, up front, that I have been through a personal and spiritual transformation as a result of this event. Just like my last decade of life experience changed me politically, this past year changed me from a personality, temperament, and empathetic standpoint. I used to think that the whole “personal injury thing†was a scam. Now, I find myself driving a mess lesser, much less safe car. I have a pain level that starts at a 3. I have developed arthritis. I had to give up a job due to the PTSD of the accident; I could no longer drive to the Medical Center. I have a knee that is still discolored, disfigured, and lacks sensation. I still have post-concussion issues that impact my ability to exercise and sleep.

But the above is not the important part of this post. The important part is that I am amazed, still, and daily at the outpouring of love and care I and my family experienced from (places of work), online friends, in person friends and family. We would not have survived financially – but your care and love sustained us in many ways that were not financial. Your kindness, patience, care and concern helped me when going from reclining to sitting up was a ½ ordeal complete with a panic attack and excruciating pain. Your love and care surrounded me when I used a walker to walk a few feet to the door in my hospital room, later into the hallway and haltingly down the block of my street.

My children were deeply affected not only by the vulnerability of their mom being so physically compromised but by the outpouring of love from the people who surround us. Many of you reading know that my spirituality is eclectic, but I believe the design for community in the New Testament is Divine – and my family was blessed to have been sustained by the function of community in times of crisis.

My last decade has been focused so much on survival that I haven’t had time or energy to “enjoy.†Ironically, it was an actual battle for survival that has served to soften me. My daughter has observed that I have cried more in the last year than I had in her entire life (now nearly 18). I feel more deeply, I care more readily, I hurt more for others. I cry when I buy the kids clothes and shoes. I cry when I witness a simple kindness. I cry at songs, commercials, and email.

While the ramifications of the accident are profound and lasting, I can honestly say that I am glad it happened. It enabled me to fully see and embrace the world and its good, the humans in my life and how much they rock, and enabled me to be more whole, more human in the midst of literal and figurative brokenness.

Thank you.

:grouphug:

Joanne,

You rock! I am continually amazed at your strength through adversity. It seems to me that you've had more an your fair share in the small amount of time I've "known" you on here, and you just keep on keepin' on. You are an inspiration, and though many of your clients probably don't know your story, I'm sure they can feel the strength of your spirit when they are in your presence.

:grouphug: Best wishes for a full and complete recovery in mind, body, and spirit. :grouphug:

While the ramifications of the accident are profound and lasting, I can honestly say that I am glad it happened. It enabled me to fully see and embrace the world and its good, the humans in my life and how much they rock, and enabled me to be more whole, more human in the midst of literal and figurative brokenness.

:crying:

I think you must be an amazing woman - your friends, family, and clients are blessed to have you in their lives.

When I showed up with my kids to visit you at the hospital, I wasn't sure what kind of shape you would be in. But you looked great for having gone through such trauma and you already had a friend there with you to check on you. It is a testament to your character and your heart that so many people rallied around you and your family in such a difficult time. All people should be so lucky to have such an extensive network of people that love and care for them.

I am just down the road a bit so if you or your family ever needs anything, please contact me.

:grouphug: