Menu

Help a worried mama out!

PinkTulip

Here's my question: do I wake my son in the middle of the night to give him his pain medication or just let him sleep?

My son had major hip reconstruction surgery on Tuesday and we just came home from the hospital today. It has been a tough transition (really miss that adjustable hospital bed!), and he was in a lot of pain before he fell asleep, but wasn't due to take anything for 1.5 hours. He made it the last 2 nights for 6 hours without taking anything, but I don't want him to wake up in excruciating pain.

What should I do?

Thank you so much for your quick responses. You are right - I will wake him. I am sleeping in the same room as him for the next few weeks to help him in the night. My brain is a fog right now due to stress and lack of adequate food/sleep staying with him in the hospital the last 4 days. Thanks for helping me see this clearly!

I agree. Always try to keep to the pain meds schedule, especially in the beginning. I think I replied to you before, as I have had several extensive hip and pelvis surgeries. That deep bone pain is the most excruciating, and the only way to manage it is to keep pain levels subdued...catching up is a beast.

Best of luck, I know you guys have a long road ahead of you. My heartfelt sympathy and best wishes headed your way.

My 17.5 year old had surgery and reconstruction for a shattered femur 6 weeks ago. It is really important for their recovery that pain be controlled because the stress of being in sharp, prolonged pain will slow the body's healing response. My boy was afraid he would end up being addicted to pain killers and was trying to tough it out, but the doc explained that they would not let that happen to him and it was a wonderful thing when we got him into a pain med regimen. After two weeks, he naturally tapered off on his own once over that first surgical hump. 400 mg of advil is about all he asks for now and that is not every day. Wake your son. Keep him on a tight schedule for now so that his pain is controlled. That is really important at this point.

Hope your night went well.  I am totally in the "keep ahead of the pain" camp.  It makes them so much more comfortable and helps with the healing.  Even with the minor surgery of tonsils and adenoids we found that keeping ahead of the pain made things SOOO much better and led to a faster healing.

Never wake up a sleeping person to give narcotic pain medicine. Too much might be building up in his system, he could easily overdose. Pain medicine should only take about 30 minutes to work, Waiting until someone is awake is always recommended to families by the doctors I work with.

When our son fractured his pelvis and hip a few weeks ago. Dr told me to give him prescription meds on schedule for the first 2 days, then we could taper him off to regular Advil and use that for 5 days, then just as he needed it.

Now this was for a small fracture not a huge surgery.  It worked perfectly and he was off of meds after day 8.  He never asked for them again.

My 17.5 year old had surgery and reconstruction for a shattered femur 6 weeks ago. It is really important for their recovery that pain be controlled because the stress of being in sharp, prolonged pain will slow the body's healing response. My boy was afraid he would end up being addicted to pain killers and was trying to tough it out, but the doc explained that they would not let that happen to him and it was a wonderful thing when we got him into a pain med regimen. After two weeks, he naturally tapered off on his own once over that first surgical hump. 400 mg of advil is about all he asks for now and that is not every day. Wake your son. Keep him on a tight schedule for now so that his pain is controlled. That is really important at this point.

:iagree: It depends on the surgery for timing, but the length of the prescription you got may be a good indicator on when you should start weaning.  And by weaning, I would try first waiting an hour or two extra WHILE AWAKE when he be aware of the change and see how it feels.  :grouphug:   Hang in there mama.  That has be tough.  I hope his recovery goes very smoothly. 

Thanks Hive! I'm not savvy enough to put "update" in the title of my thread, but I wanted to let you know how it went: I did wake him in the night for pain medication and I'm so glad I did. It was a rough night due to other factors, so I'm glad that we didn't have extreme pain on top of everything else. The best thing I did today was find a company locally to rent a hospital bed from, which was open on a Saturday and was able to deliver it this afternoon. Between staying on top of the pain meds and my son having a more comfortable way to move between sitting up and laying down (lying down? Forgive me grammar goddesses!), it has been a MUCH better day! And thanks for the virtual hugs - I really needed them and it helped knowing people care.

I'm mostly a lurker, but definitely a regular reader. I really appreciate the love and support for someone who isn't a regular poster - you guys are my support group more than you know! :)