Menu

Chicken with bones - what am I doing wrong?

Farrar

I have gotten to where I hate cooking chicken bone in, such as thighs or legs.  Every time I do it, it takes at least two or three times longer than I feel it should.  Tonight I just cooked some thighs and they took close to an hour of pretty high heat on the stove before they would stop bleeding.  If I hadn't kept adding chicken broth to keep them moist they would have been a burned, dried out mess.  A burned, dried out mess with a frozen, bleeding core that is.  It's not much better if I do fried chicken or even if I bake/roast it.

I think part of the problem is that no matter how I set my fridge, nothing will ever defrost in there fully.  It goes bad before the bones unfreeze if I take it out of the freezer.

I would just abandon doing it except it's soooooo cheap, especially thighs and legs.  Thoughts?  Ideas?  Tips?  I feel like it didn't used to be this hard.  I think I lost my cooking mojo at some point.

I bake them but they do take a long time.

Do you use a meat thermometer? I got this super amazingly awesome kitchen timer/thermometer. I set it to go off at a certain temperature and it goes beepbeepbeepbeep when the meat is done. I love it to bits -- it's saved me so much overdone meat because I simply forgot to check. It wasn't even that expensive.

Baking/roasting tends to do better than stovetop for me. Try thawing in cold water and letting it come to room temp before cooking (about 30 mins on counter). Ina Garten's baked chicken breasts come out perfectly for me, although it does take longer with the big honking ones. I just use an instant read thermometer. You can season this a million different ways. http://www.food.com/recipe/cooked-chicken-for-recipes-barefoot-contessa-style-234465

You need to try thawing on the counter. I know all the people say you'll surely get some dread disease if you do that, but I haven't. Just make sure the meat stays cool. Or else start the thawing 2 days in advance. What temp is your fridge set on? Should be in upper 30s-41 or so. Or thaw in cold water. Perhaps leave it out for an hour, in fridge for an hour, and so on. If you don't get the meat thawed fully before you put it in the oven--you should be able to fully massage the meat on the bone, no icy patches--then it will not cook properly. I also normally bake bone in stuff unless I am going to boil it covered in water.

I never cook bone in chicken on the stovetop (skillet). I either boil it for soup, etc. Or cook it in the crockpot or oven (low temp for 1hr+) or BBQ. Even for BBQ or fried chicken I might  pre-boil it a bit. For a whole chicken I have the rotisserie oven and it takes 2+ hrs.

I bake them but they do take a long time.

Do you use a meat thermometer? I got this super amazingly awesome kitchen timer/thermometer. I set it to go off at a certain temperature and it goes beepbeepbeepbeep when the meat is done. I love it to bits -- it's saved me so much overdone meat because I simply forgot to check. It wasn't even that expensive.

Do you have a link for your kitchen thermometer? I would love the one you describe!

I never thaw bone-in chicken in the fridge.  It would stay partly frozen for ages.   I always thaw on the counter.  I don't know where all the "must thaw in the fridge" stuff came from, but I've always thawed on the counter and so does everyone I know.   Even on the counter deep frozen thighs take all day to thaw (from a 0deg freezer, less if they were at 30deg).

That said, if you're cooking them on the stovetop, I'm guessing you've got a pretty full pan.  I would expect that to take an hour.  I prefer to use a method where there is plenty of room for heat to move around (so maybe 3 pieces in a 12" skillet, or 2" apart on the grill or in the oven).  Even so, I would still expect it to take about 45 min.

I also like to knock the cold off of my meat by warming it on the counter for about 30 min before I cook it.  I think you get a more even cook that way (rather than bloody inside and burnt outside).  I don't worry about germs.  If I cook it thoroughly, all germs should die.  And even if I don't cook it thoroughly, how much can they really multiply in 30 minutes? 

I let my bone in chicken sit in the counter for at least an hour before cooking. I pull the skin up a little from the meat, pat it dry and let it warm up a bit. This is also the key to crispy skin on fatty dark meat prices.

Cook in a HOT oven for 20 minutes then lower to 360ish degrees. When you think it's done, shove your meat thermometer close to the joints of the two biggest pieces. It is says 165 you are done, even if it seems like there is still a little color to the juices. If it's not 165 yet, tent it in foil and continue to bake. The foil will keep it from drying out.

HTH.

I do put it on the counter sometimes or in cold water.

I need to get a new meat thermometer.  My old one totally conked out.  I stopped trusting it though because the bones of the chicken were always bleeding even when it said the meat was done.

I wish I could adjust my shopping system.  But Costco!  Costco!  I mean, I guess I could, but I sort of think the meat from the Giant is icky.

The crock pot is the one way I trust them and know they come out right.  Crock pot recipes for thighs and legs welcome.  I don't have many - most of mine call for breasts.

These are good tips though.  Thanks, guys.  I think I need to start allotting more time is the main thing.  More thawing on the counter time.  More cooking time.  I should stop listening when recipes say they'll cook that fast.

I need to get a new meat thermometer. My old one totally conked out. I stopped trusting it though because the bones of the chicken were always bleeding even when it said the meat was done.

I wish I could adjust my shopping system. But Costco! Costco! I mean, I guess I could, but I sort of think the meat from the Giant is icky.

The crock pot is the one way I trust them and know they come out right. Crock pot recipes for thighs and legs welcome. I don't have many - most of mine call for breasts.

These are good tips though. Thanks, guys. I think I need to start allotting more time is the main thing. More thawing on the counter time. More cooking time. I should stop listening when recipes say they'll cook that fast.

No Costco here so I'm not sure how many pounds at a time you have to purchase.

Is it already frozen?

Because if it isn't, I was thinking you could do a batch cooking and then freeze some already cooked.

I hate the stress of wondering if meat is cooked properly.

No Costco here so I'm not sure how many pounds at a time you have to purchase.

Is it already frozen?

Because if it isn't, I was thinking you could do a batch cooking and then freeze some already cooked.

I hate the stress of wondering if meat is cooked properly.

Costco chicken comes in these packages of six meals already all separated for you - 5 legs per pouch or 4 thighs or 2 breasts.  It's so easy to toss in the freezer.  It's not supposed to be frozen, but it often is semi-frozen to start.  And the boneless is easy...  I am not a batch cooker.  Just not.  Oh well.

I also hate the meat stress.  I do not like worrying about undercooked things.  I love fish, but I feel like I have to work my way up to doing it every couple of weeks just because I worry about it even more.

Costco chicken comes in these packages of six meals already all separated for you - 5 legs per pouch or 4 thighs or 2 breasts. It's so easy to toss in the freezer. It's not supposed to be frozen, but it often is semi-frozen to start. And the boneless is easy... I am not a batch cooker. Just not. Oh well.

I also hate the meat stress. I do not like worrying about undercooked things. I love fish, but I feel like I have to work my way up to doing it every couple of weeks just because I worry about it even more.

OK, I get it.

I guess I'd try to cook fresh as much as possible and get a good meat thermometer.

My dad was in the Merchant Marines and the Navy...and they served bloody joint chicken all the time. He made darn sure his chicken was COOKED once he got out.

One advantage of thawing in the fridge is that if you don't use it, it can be safely refrozen before it goes bad. If it's on the counter, it is a use it or lose it situation.

Also my cat can't get at it in the fridge, so there's that.

But sitting out on the counter before cooking is essential for good bone-in, skin on chicken.

Also what I said about 165 (on a trusty therm) and it's done even if the juices are a touch pink only applies to dark meat and not white meat. Just a clarification. Not trying to kill anyone. I almost always need to tent white meat to cook it long enough without getting it dried out.

I also hate the meat stress.  I do not like worrying about undercooked things.  I love fish, but I feel like I have to work my way up to doing it every couple of weeks just because I worry about it even more.

Now I'm the opposite - I don't worry about fish at all. If it flakes with a fork easily, then it's done. Simple as that. 

Meat, though. . .that's another story. 

I agree that thawing on the counter/in the sink is the way to go. The only thing I thaw in the fridge is turkey, and then - not always! I learned thawing and cooking from my Mom. She learned from her Mom, we're all still alive. We don't even always refrigerate leftovers - they sit out overnight, too.

Humans have been around longer than refrigerators. ;)

Hung it in the microwave for a while before you put it in the oven or vet it out a couple days in advance. I think "don't cook from frozen" is also on the list with "don't defrost on the bench". I often leave it in the microwave with the door shut to defrost - keeps off flies and cats.

The crock pot is the one way I trust them and know they come out right.  Crock pot recipes for thighs and legs welcome.  I don't have many - most of mine call for breasts.

If you like crockpot recipes, you should look at Pioneer Woman's recipes for braises (which is basically what a crockpot does).  She has lots, so you'll get a good variety.

Par boiling is the way to go unless you are using the crock pot.  And honestly, just because a recipe says "breast" or "thigh" doesn't matter.  We prefer dark meat here, so I just use what I have and adjust the cooking time.  If there is any wiggle room in your grocery budget, it might be worth it to go boneless.

Chicken thighs are a staple at our house.  I either bake or grill-- either way I thaw in cold water and finish on the counter for 30 minutes to an hour.  The chicken needs to be close to room temp to cook through.

I also thaw our steaks in the fridge or in cold water and finish on the counter (while grill is heating up) they are so much better (juicier) if at room temp before cooking.

We eat a lot of chicken legs and whole chickens around here. Thaw them on the counter. I pull mine out just after breakfast and on the counter they are usually ready to eat by supper. Or I will pull them out of the freezer and put them in the fridge the evening before and then pull them out of the fridge about lunch time and put them on the counter.

I agree that thawing on the counter/in the sink is the way to go. The only thing I thaw in the fridge is turkey, and then - not always! I learned thawing and cooking from my Mom. She learned from her Mom, we're all still alive. We don't even always refrigerate leftovers - they sit out overnight, too.

Humans have been around longer than refrigerators. ;)

Ok, i'm not picking on you but I have to address this. The reason this used to be ok is that chickens used to live in much more sanitary conditions. Salmonella wasn't an issue back then. It's only since I think the 70s that we've seen chicken regularly contaminated due to the way they are wharehoused and processed. That's why it used to be safe, and now is not safe. 

Thawing on the counter lets the surface, the part most likely to be contaminated, come to a warm enough temperature for the bacteria to multiply while the inside is still frozen. Hence the idea to do it in the fridge, or in cold water that you change often to keep cold. 

Same with refrigerating left overs. If the food is at room temp more than 2 hours any bad bacteria can multiply and make you sick. Again, this was not an issue for your mom, or her mom, because the meat was raised/processed differently back then. 

I think most food safety rules are bunk, and I've been thawing meat in the counter (all day long, not just a few hours) for 15 years and we've never gotten FP. I am more careful with ground meat, because of increased risk therein, but with chicken, pork, and pieces of beef it's a free for all.

You could try cutting up the meat, too. That's what I do when I need dinner ready faster.

I get the food safety issues... I just also don't know how anything ever can get cooked right from the freezer. I guess I'd rather risk the germs and be able to cook the meat thoroughly than thaw it properly but have it partly uncooked or tough and overdone. I've left food in my fridge for three days and had it still seem like the bones must have been frozen. The temperature is right, it's just cold.

I need to get a new meat thermometer.  My old one totally conked out.  I stopped trusting it though because the bones of the chicken were always bleeding even when it said the meat was done.

I find if the bone in chicken is not totally thawed it always has blood, even if totally cooked. So, I think you need to figure out a way to get that chicken thawed before you cook it.

Are you using pastured chicken or commercial chicken?

I find that commercial chicken seems bloody long after it should.  I have no idea what that's about, but I never have that problem with pastured chicken.  That always cooks like chicken used to....

I stopped trusting it though because the bones of the chicken were always bleeding even when it said the meat was done.

I don't think so...bone in meat is tastier and has more nutrition.  (Lots of minerals seep out of the bone into the meat as it cooks adding both to the yum factor and the nourishment.)

If there is any wiggle room in your grocery budget, it might be worth it to go boneless.

I get the food safety issues... I just also don't know how anything ever can get cooked right from the freezer. I guess I'd rather risk the germs and be able to cook the meat thoroughly than thaw it properly but have it partly uncooked or tough and overdone. I've left food in my fridge for three days and had it still seem like the bones must have been frozen. The temperature is right, it's just cold.

IME the only thing that cooks well from frozen is boneless, thin bits of meat. And fish filets. A well boned filet of fish will cook up just fine from frozen. Anything with a bone or very thick will not easily or consistently/evenly cook from frozen. At least not IME.

Ok, i'm not picking on you but I have to address this. The reason this used to be ok is that chickens used to live in much more sanitary conditions. Salmonella wasn't an issue back then. It's only since I think the 70s that we've seen chicken regularly contaminated due to the way they are wharehoused and processed. That's why it used to be safe, and now is not safe.

Thawing on the counter lets the surface, the part most likely to be contaminated, come to a warm enough temperature for the bacteria to multiply while the inside is still frozen. Hence the idea to do it in the fridge, or in cold water that you change often to keep cold.

Same with refrigerating left overs. If the food is at room temp more than 2 hours any bad bacteria can multiply and make you sick. Again, this was not an issue for your mom, or her mom, because the meat was raised/processed differently back then.

Yes ok. But my children are fine. They have not eaten food prepared prior to the 70's.

Although, I do try to stick with humane/grassfed/pastured as much as possible. But, I hate refrigerated pre-cooked food. It's gross, so I try to use up leftovers within 24 hours on the counter, because it goes to waste either way after that.