Menu

Have you ever...

heartosunshine

DH backed into ours when it broke. He put it up, but it stopped about a quarter down from the top. He looked behind him at the ground and crunch! My mom backed through hers twice when I was a baby. (ETA: She was sleep-deprived, likely had PPD, I was screaming...and she decided to just go back inside.)

Do you mean from inside the garage? As in, got in the car, put it in reverse, and forgot to open the door???  Or person was backing into the driveway, didn't stop soon enough and bumped the closed door? The second one I could understand, especially if it was a new driver. Backing into a closed door from inside the garage I would find really bizarre. In fact, I'd think that person was way too distractible to be allowed to drive at all. Yikes!

Nope, I've never done that.  Our habit here is that we all hit the garage door button to open it as we step into the garage.

But as a newly-licensed teenager I did back into our garage door one time.  I was backing into the driveway (a slight uphill) and gave the car a bit too much gas and tapped the closed garage door.  Thankfully no damage was done.

ETA -- An elderly person?  Oh goodness yes.  I'd be concerned. :grouphug:

One time this happened:  we had rented a minivan and it was in the garage with the back hatch up.  An argument was in progress.  One angry individual decided to back out and forgot the back window, which was higher than the top of the garage door.  It shattered.  Very loudly.  At about 2am.  :P

I can't say I recall any real life incidents of people trying to back out with the garage door closed.  Though with some people, it wouldn't surprise me too much.  ;)

Yes, this is what I'm wondering. I seem to be the only one concerned about it.

I would be very concerned about it, especially since it happened more than once. That person should not be driving, and I would seek help if these issues were occurring in other areas as well. 

I've never had a garage.

But yes, I would worry about that, because it suggests that the person could be missing important steps in other processes, too: turning off the stove, taking the medicine, locking the front door, turning off the bath water, mailing the electric bill, verifying that the caller is really from the bank.

It's worth a trip to the doctor for some screening for stroke or cognitive decline. Sorry.

I haven't, but I'm sure it's just been luck.  I do things so automatically, and I could easily see myself doing this. 

What I have done, repeatedly, is bring the garage door down on the back of my car's bumper--then I wonder, "What's wrong with the garage door?" and I continue to push the button, causing the door to bounce off my bumper several times before I realize, "CRAP, I didn't pull in quite far enough."  This has happened on several different occasions, so you can see why I might back my car into the closed garage door.

Fortunately for me, I ditched my van for a much smaller car, and my husband hung a tennis ball from the garage ceiling so I know exactly how far to go in.

But to be entirely honest here, I have closed the garage door with my back hatch up SEVERAL times, causing the garage door opener to HIT the top of my hatch.  :::eye roll:::  So my husband also put a tennis ball on THAT to cushion any further blows.

Surprisingly, he still lets me drive long distances with my kids in the car, lol.

How do you get someone who's completely independent and very active (physically & socially) to agree to a screen for cognitive decline? I'm really at a loss as to how to broach the subject without her (or family members) getting defensive. Also, I'm the daughter in law so I don't have a whole lot of say.

I've never had to do it, so I can't be sure. But I would call her doctor, if you know who it is, and tip him/her off. The office may be able to send her a "reminder card"  that she needs her blood pressure checked/flu shot/whatever, and if she makes an appointment, that opens the door for some casual questions. Stroke is a huge women's health risk in general.

Meanwhile, I'd be reluctant to leave any small children in her care.

I've backed into the not quite open door as it was opening. I just didn't wait long enough and it was so quiet I didn't realize it wasn't fully open. Fortunately I did no damage to either my van or the door. Now I pay closer attention and make sure it's open. It only had to happen once to wake my up. :D

I've never had to do it, so I can't be sure. But I would call her doctor, if you know who it is, and tip him/her off. The office may be able to send her a "reminder card"  that she needs her blood pressure checked/flu shot/whatever, and if she makes an appointment, that opens the door for some casual questions. Stroke is a huge women's health risk in general.

Meanwhile, I'd be reluctant to leave any small children in her care.

even mini-strokes, re: transient ischemic attack aka: TIAs can be so brief (even just a few minutes) they pass unnoticed/dismissed  - however their damage is cumulative.  the more they have, the more the damage and it will become noticeable.  they also leave the patient at much higher risk of a major stroke.