Menu

Will Life of Fred really be enough

juliajulia

My daughter that is going into 6th grade has never been a big fan of math.  She has begged me to do anything but Saxon this year.  I had some LoF books that I used to kick-start another child and she looked at them and really wants to do them (starting with Fractions).  Will she really get a good math education using on LoF?  If so, anybody know how many books I should aim for her to do for her 6th grade year?

TIA

If she does fractions and decimals in 6th, she can do pre-algebra in 7th and algebra in 8th.

It is important to evaluate whether Fred is a fit for her by seeing whether she can use and apply fractions.

If she learns from Fred and just needs more practice, you can consider Key to Fractions and Key to Decimals for practice.

Some people don't learn well from Fred, but if you already own it, I'd give it a shot. I'd get her started right away so that if it's not working, you can shift to something else in September and not be "behind".

IMO, Fred is not enough.  Disclaimer:  I've only used the Fractions, Decimals, and Prealgebra 1 and 2 books, so I don't know how Fred would be for high school math.  But I am strongly of the opinion that the Fred books intended for the middle grades are substandard (and are, in fact, the worst math books I've ever used).

I've only used the first two with a mathophilic kindergartener/rising first grader who wants me to read them to him in one sitting even though he has to do the exercises before I start the next chapter, but I would have to say "no" unless you use them as an outline to give you an idea of how to make up more exercises on your own that are similar to the box at the end of the chapter.

That would be doable if you're mathy but more trouble than it's worth if you aren't.

Have you looked into Jacobs?

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Human-Endeavor-Textbook-Subject/dp/0716713268/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406664264&sr=8-2&keywords=Mathematics%3A+A+human+endeavor

Neither of my adult kids ever hated math, but I have one Saxon kid and one Jacobs kid and they approach math in very different ways.

It really depends on the child.  We use it alone and it is definitely enough and my son retains it well.  I also now personally know 2 students who used it exclusively and attained perfect math scores, one on SAT and one on ACT.  So it can certainly be enough but there are a lot of people who find that it just isn't enough for their students and they need to supplement.  Every kiddo is different and learns differently.  I would try it but make sure to periodically check for retention, we have used different free worksheets online for this.  I periodically give my son worksheets for math that should be review to check that he still remembers it, and I've even used placement tests for other math programs for this too.  Also, we don't just take the bridges until he passes...We usually do all 5 bridges unless they are super easy for him.  We do one chapter/lesson or bridge per day and my son who struggled with and hated math before does great with it ands loves it.  Good luck!

LoF is a tool, not a math program or math book meant for teaching math.

It is an addition to your math lessons.  I have used many levels, and nope, I would never use it alone.  There are too many core arithmetic standards and problem-solving skills that need to be covered.

I think it depends.

Calvin did Fractions and Decimals and Percentages as review.  He then begged to move on to Algebra with LOF.  It eventually became clear that it did not suit him: he loved the stories, but - as he didn't much like maths - he needed something that was much more explicit and step-by-step, because he didn't have the patience to work through problems and tease out the maths from them.  For him it was just the wrong programme.

We went back to Galore Park maths and he did much better - it wasn't that much fun (although he enjoyed the maths history that is included) but it was the programme that he needed.

L

LoF is a tool, not a math program or math book meant for teaching math.

It is an addition to your math lessons.  I have used many levels, and nope, I would never use it alone.  There are too many core arithmetic standards and problem-solving skills that need to be covered.

To be fair (and I agree with you), the author markets it as a standalone math program. I disagree with him, but it IS marketed as such.

My daughter that is going into 6th grade has never been a big fan of math.  She has begged me to do anything but Saxon this year.  I had some LoF books that I used to kick-start another child and she looked at them and really wants to do them (starting with Fractions).  Will she really get a good math education using on LoF?  If so, anybody know how many books I should aim for her to do for her 6th grade year?

TIA

Yes.

I say this not because I am familiar with LOF and have compared it in great detail to every other publisher.

I say this because (1) she's just 11, and (2) if she *likes* it, she'll be much more motivated to do the next thing.

I agree with Ellie.  I think that for a child who is not a fan of maths, LoF can turn that around, both because it's fun and because it gives the mathphobe an idea what the whole point of the exercise is.  I know this because LoF has helped *me*, a lifelong mathphobe, to grok what the point was.

My husband is using LoF with our eleven year old.  He started at age eight (after some mild mathematical neglect) with Apples and he finished Decimals and Percents this week. They work through the book, and then my husband provides practice exercises that they come up with together to help cement the concepts.

One key, IMO, is to start at the beginning.  LoF has a very different sequence than other maths programmes and it can be confusing if you haven't gone through from the beginning.  My son's friend started LoF around the same time as we did, but he hopped around the books to use it as a supplement to another curriculum.  After a while they gave it up as "too confusing".  Having started from the beginning, my son has at times found it VERY challenging (he had to start over with D&P three times) but he never found it confusing.

To be fair (and I agree with you), the author markets it as a standalone math program. I disagree with him, but it IS marketed as such.

Ouch ... When I used them, they were introduced to me as a resource.  For that, I adored them, and with that same child I would purchase and use them again!

Keep in mind that I do not use the higher levels and that my experience is with the everything before pre-algebra - I can't believe that this would be enough.  I could be wrong, and the books could have been rewritten to follow a norm of math content.   :)  For us, they would never have been enough to succeed in math.  I am not even using them now as a matter of fact.  Dd is doing well with MM, and I am a mathy person.  Perhaps I am biased?

I don't know for sure that it's "enough" ... but that's what we're doing with my 7th grader this year!  ;)

Last year was our 1st year homeschooling.  We tried both Math Mammoth and Saxon and he hated both.  I made him stick it out with Saxon for the rest of the year but told him we'd try something else for pre-algebra this year.  He understands math conceptually pretty well, but has problems with hurrying and making stupid mistakes, and it's just not a subject he likes very well.  After a year of frustration and tears in math, I think what he really needs is just some time to practice the concepts he already knows and get better at being careful and accurate in his work.

I thought about just starting him out slowly with Video Text since that was successful with my oldest last year, but I decided I'd let him mature a bit first.  Life of Fred seemed to fit the bill perfectly for him.  It's light and funny enough that he doesn't get frustrated with it, but it's not easy either.  He's finished with Fractions and is going on to Decimals & Percents.  Then I'm going to have him do the Elementary Physics and the 2 prealgebra books.  I'm hoping by the time he's done with all those he will be ready for Video Text.  Even if it isn't "enough" ... it's only 1 year and then I know I can count on Video Text (when he's ready for it) to fill in any gaps.

Yeah... when I talked with him (via e-mail) at the beginning of our homeschool journey, he was able to convince me that it was all I needed to teach math :P

That didn't last long :D

Ouch ... When I used them, they were introduced to me as a resource.  For that, I adored them, and with that same child I would purchase and use them again!

Keep in mind that I do not use the higher levels and that my experience is with the everything before pre-algebra - I can't believe that this would be enough.  I could be wrong, and the books could have been rewritten to follow a norm of math content.   :)  For us, they would never have been enough to succeed in math.  I am not even using them now as a matter of fact.  Dd is doing well with MM, and I am a mathy person.  Perhaps I am biased?

Maybe? 

We use it as our only math program, but we have quite a bit of supplemental math alongside of it. There is no repetition, which is why my very fast learner loves it. I do make him do some additional practice, and we talk a lot about the concepts and practice them informally. If you are prepared to get your hands dirty with it, it's great. For my kid, he loves it. It sparks his imagination and he thinks and talks about it all day.

For my younger ones, I will use the book as a framework, but I am teaching them the actual arithmetic myself, using supplemental materials or just working on the spot. Again you have to get your hands dirty.

If you want to check off the boxes, get through the lesson and move on, then no. I don't think it would be enough. 

I'll chime in with a--probably not enough. We are three chapters from finishing the Decimals book. I think they are good second exposure books. Fractions worked well for us because DS already had covered most topics. So it was a good review, and a great set of problems-- I really like the almost complete usage of word problems Decimals was a little harder because Percents, ratios, and some other topics were mostly compley new and I think Fred does a really bad job of explaining why and how math works. I find that the stories have very little to do with the subject supposedly being presented, usually. So I wish I'd had finished Singapore before we jumped to LOF Decimals, but we are going back to finish it as soon as we are done. I can't imagine using it as the only program, and I don't like using it first. If one supplements with it, I think it should be used after the topics have already been more conceptually introduced. But, all in all I really like the problem sets and think they are valuable. Not in the sense of being particularly challenging-- but I love how they are a coherent set that shows math being used in real-world situations and the whole set relates to that situation.

I have the feeling (as yet unsubstantiated) that LoF would be almost enough for the right student. My Mr. 11 is doing MM and that is better for him, because he needs lots and lots of the same thing before he gets it. On the other hand, my Ms. 5 whizzes through pages of MM and complains about how easy they are, plus she tends to remember things after one or two examples, and not need pages of the same kind of problem. Since she is also an obsessive reader and story listener, I'm seriously thinking of making LoF her main math curriculum next year. Although having said that, I am guessing that at some point after the basic elementary stuff, it starts to get less intuitive and then even more able students need more drill? (And I don't know how long I can take LoF at a time because he is so opinionated.)

My dd was much the same in 6th and I let her do just LOF starting part-way through the year. She did Fractions and Decimals and Percents and then started pre-algebra book 1. When she finished her 6th grade year I had her do a placement test from another program and she did fine on it. So for her, it was enough, but she is very mathy and grasped concepts quickly, which I think is why the other programs just bored her to tears. She is now doing Beginning Algebra and there is no question in my mind that those books are definitely enough.

I do not think it could hurt to let her try doing just LOF for awhile. You will know pretty quickly if it is working or not, and you will be able to fix it if doesn't work. It did not work for DS who also tried doing it this way, so I ended up using a TT/LOF combo with him.

IMHO LoF is a storybook series based on some math concepts, not a complete math program in any sense. If one could get a perfect score on SAT only with LoF, he/she must be a math genius. And I think an average student might even enjoy reading through the whole elementary series in one day by skipping the actual problem solving sections and just focusing on the fun and silly parts. But that's not possible for SM, MM or Saxon.

Thank you everyone!  Great input and it spoke to just what I suspected.  I think we will use it to give her a break for a bit (that is how we used them with another daughter and she seemed more content afterwards).  I've seen so many folks get a mental block about math and if they weren't so wrapped up in the, "I hate math, I'm so bad at math" thoughts they could actually do the work.  I'm trying to head that off for my daughter.  We can make changes next semester or next school year and she still has time to be on track.  Thanks again!

I went through the LOF books with my younger (now 10 yr old) from the Honey book to Fractions, and now we're finishing up Decimals and Percents.  He uses Saxon as his main math and started 7/6 book about 4 weeks ago.  I am finding that for him, when it comes to fractions, decimals, and percents, LOF was enough.  Saxon is all review for him on these kinds of lessons.  I allowed him to test out of a portion of the beginning of the Saxon book, and looking ahead believe we will end up doing two lessons a day so that he doesn't get bored. 

I can't say if the younger books would have been enough because it was all review for him, but I think that starting with the Fractions book it can be.  Just like any other math curriculum, it WILL NOT be a fit for every child but will work wonders for others.

• 3 weeks later...

My son did LoF Beginning Algebra in 8th grade.  We had not tried any LoF books before that.  He is naturally very good at math, and after doing most of LoF and the home companion guide (these books are now combined), he tested out of algebra 1 for high school and got high school credit in algebra.  When he took advanced algebra later on, he got all A+'s.

My son didn't even finish the book; I now see that students can be expected to do both Beginning Algebra and Advanced in 1 year, according to the author of LoF.

Welcome to the Hive :seeya:

Just noting that what is highlighted above may have more to do with your son's outcome than you may think...It may be a different story for someone who has only done LOF, or someone who is not naturally good at math...

Starting with Beginning Algebra, there are the home companions (which have been bundled into the expanded edition) and the Zillions of practice problems, and that adds a lot.

I also think that if you make your DC do ALL the bridges/Cities, that adds a lot. What we'd do is do one to move on, and then do the remaining ones as review along with the next chapter.

Having said that, we use LOF along with AOPS, a book or two ahead. DD did all of PA before starting AOPS PA, did Beginning Algebra (and physics) with AOPS PA, and is doing Advanced Algebra/Geometry/Chemistry this year along with AOPS Intro Algebra. That seems to work well for her.

We are using LOF right now in my house.  Some thoughts:

1. ODS used Fractions along with Decimals and Percents in 7th grade.  He is dyscalculic and often takes a couple of years for one year of math to sink in and stay.  He enjoyed the story and worked through the math, but didn't retain anything.  Therefore, by the end of 7th grade, he was working through MUS Epsilon followed by MUS Zeta in 8th grade.  LOF didn't work for him at all.  He wasn't able to retain it.  

Fast forward to the end of last year with DD...

2. DD hates math. It makes no sense to her.  She takes FOREVER to understand a concept and even then, I don't really think she totally gets it but memorizes how to do what you want her to do. We were about halfway through MUS Beta last year when I decided that I couldn't take another day of crying about math.  I just didn't have it in me.  So I borrowed LOF Apples from a friend and went through it with her. It was full of stuff she'd done in kindergarten but she enjoyed the story and felt good about her math ability.  So we zipped through Apples and Butterflies, moved on to Cats and managed to finish up the year with Dogs.  That's all the math that we did. From it, she learned how to tell time which she'd really struggled with up until that point.  She reviewed things she'd covered in kindergarten and first grade.  She felt good about her math ability and that was okay with me.

This year, we are trying Fred again.  We are aiming to move through Edgewood, Farming, and Goldfish. But I am supplementing this year as well.  You might have seen the other thread I started called "How important is math really?" where I got TONS of great tips and websites to check out.  I'd do a search for that for some ideas...anyway, we're also doing math drills several times a week to help with her math facts as she still doesn't have them all memorized.  And we're doing math games along with some Khan Academy, though I think I need to adjust her "grade" on there because it's giving her concepts that she doesn't understand.

My point is this: Try Fred.  See if your DD likes learning from him.  If so, add some free practice from the internet.  Good luck!

We are trying Life of Fred and Khan Academy this year. They seem like they complement eachother well, with LoF providing a better how and why than KA, and KA providing as much practice as necessary, regular review, and a different instructional viewpoint if needed. But we're just starting (in fact, LoF hasn't actually arrived yet, though I'm expecting it any minute now), so this is very much in theory still.

I also have Math Mammoth blue series if someone gets stuck on a particular subject, but neither kid has liked it much in the past.

...They read it, understood it, thought it was interesting, but they didn't retain it because there was not enough practice/review....

DD zipped through decimals, fractions, (don't remember which order), and algebra books. She easily understood the concepts, and got correct answers, but as bluedarling said above, there just wasn't very good retention because of there not being enough problems. By age 16 it was apparent that she was quite good at math but just didn't like to do it, which means she is probably the kind of student who especially needs plenty of drills and practice for retention.

My child is much younger and is doing the Elementary series of LOF - she raced through the initial books without needing further repetition, but now in Ice Cream I have found that she needs more repetition of the concepts - I may give her a list of a few sums to practice the concepts and give her the extra review she needs. She is also doing Singapore however and it may be that LOF has introduced a few too many new concepts a little too fast for my child or she may just need a little extra time and a break from LOF for a short while - this has happened with every curriculum I have used with this child and circling back round to them after a break has worked well for us.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, Fred is not enough.  Disclaimer:  I've only used the Fractions, Decimals, and Prealgebra 1 and 2 books, so I don't know how Fred would be for high school math.  But I am strongly of the opinion that the Fred books intended for the middle grades are substandard (and are, in fact, the worst math books I've ever used).

Could you please elaborate more on these opinions? I am using Fred only for both my sixth and eighth grader. If I'm providing them both sub-standard math, I'd love to hear more details about why. Thanks.

I am sorry to say this.....but if I am honest....No.....Life of Fred is not enough for math on its own.  It makes a nice (albeit very light) supplement to math, but it is not a complete math program.   It doesn't give the depth that is needed for true math literacy IMHO. 

This is interesting, because the author constantly claims, "I know of no homeschool math curriculum that contains more math than Life of Fred."

Yet people claim it's not enough.

Any comments on that?

This is interesting, because the author constantly claims, "I know of no homeschool math curriculum that contains more math than Life of Fred."

Any comments on that?

Just because the author says it doesn't make it true. 

Could you please elaborate more on these opinions? I am using Fred only for both my sixth and eighth grader. If I'm providing them both sub-standard math, I'd love to hear more details about why. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I recently gave my Fred books to another family so I can't give specific examples.  But more generally, the material is not presented in a logical order.  There is very little conceptual development.  From what I remember, the extent of the instruction on multiplying fractions was to multiply the tops and bottoms.  There is not enough practice for most kids.  Having used what I consider to be truly excellent math books (Singapore, Jacobs, and Lial), I find Fred to be entertaining but not what I want in a primary program. 

Any comments on that?

I think the author has a bit of an ego.  

Well...I had decided to go ahead and use LoF as my dd's math curriculum until at least Christmas.  I have an older daughter that bogged down on math about the same age and I gave her an easy semester of LoF before starting her on Saxon.  For her it worked...Alas, the current daughter doesn't even get Fred so so much for her 'break'.  She is starting back on Saxon and we will just take it as slow as we need to.  Thank you for all of your replies!

Any comments on that?

Any single volume of LOF is packed with mathematical concepts.  Thus, the author can say it has a lot of math.  I, the mom, say it gives the kiddos exposure to a wide range of math concepts.  

LOF is not packed with copious opportunities for practice and drill.  I observe that LOF isn't a workbook for calculation practice.  

I would not use LOF as a stand-alone because I don't have the time to make up all the worksheets that my people would need to practice and become proficient at using/understanding the math concepts.  

For most mortals, LOF is not a stand-alone.  IMO.

It's great for Fridays.  

Yep, lots of concepts (cause, yanno, kids need to know about set functions in kinder) but not much practice. Sure, there are little sections entitled "a line of practice", but for the most part, it will spend an entire book reinforcing 5+4=9 and then, as a small aside, instruct the student to "memorize blah, blah and blah", with no suggestions on how to go about this. The books are also jam-packed full of lessons that have nothing to do with math, from vocabulary to geography to religion and more. This can be a positive or a negative depending on your opinion: some people love to integrate number work with other information, but others would prefer just the math, thanks.

For some kids it might be. I have never been comfortable enough to let it be my core curriculum though. There are lots of living math books out there though if you want to reinforce some concepts and keep LoF as your core curriculum. We have a lot of books like that around here. My youngest is not a huge fan of math although he is good at it, he enjoys his LoF and he really enjoys Beast Academy. It's the story type line to it. It makes it feel less like math and more like a story.

Search the forums for posts by NittanyJen on Fred. I can't find the one about her DH's opinion (I think he's a math prof? Don't know for sure), but look here and especially here w/ regards to your question.

ETA: Found it. Also, my dc have used LOF. DD did the geometry book, but I freaked out over the lack of evaluation. And, sorry, Dr. Schmidt, but the conversation I had w/ you about this did not change my mind. So I had her work through Harold Jacobs geometry too. She is not a math/STEM major, but likes math and holds her own, including on standardized tests.

I tried LOF w/ ds, but he just wanted the read the stories, and didn't try very hard on the problems. I pulled LOF at that time, but it was also at the point that I finally woke up to the fact that he and dd are different kinds of learners. Duh, Angie. 

ETA: Oh, look. Geometry has been expanded.