Menu

Help me pick a good Tv series for my kids (and me) :)

Ann.without.an.e

We don't watch tv much. At the moment we have both Netflix and prime. I told the kids we could have a few pj and TV days before school starts back. I want something clean enough that 5 yo ds can watch if he wants. They loved Out of the Wild, Cake Boss, Good Luck Charlie, etc...

Any thought?

How about something older, like The Cosby Show?  Or, and this one surprised me, but my kids really enjoyed The Andy Griffith Show.  My grandmother put it on for them and somehow they got hooked and watched a bunch.

Or, newer suggestions...  My kids love The Sparticle Mystery - it's a British kids show about a world with no grown ups (they get sucked into another dimension thanks to a science experiment gone wrong).  Live action.  First series is on Netflix.  Good values.

My boys also really like Project Runway and Top Chef...  they're usually clean, but sometimes people say crazy things.  I'm okay with that because it's just words and I don't mind explaining to my kids, but you may feel differently.

Or, a different direction with reality TV...  something like Meerkat Manor?

We just started Stargate- SG1 on amazon prime and love it.  DD thinks it's the coolest show since Doctor Who.  The pilot episode has a bit of suggested nudity but nothing related to s*x ... it's an alien thing.  

My Three Sons.  Mr. Ellie and I watched the first DVD and were pleasantly surprised to see that it really does hold up over time: widowed father, teaching his sons to be honorable but with no preaching, and with humor. We loved it. :-)

I'm not sure what is available on netflix.  My 5yo likes adventure and super heroes so we watch Lois & Clark.  It's actually a pretty funny show.  Also MacGyver is fun to watch. For sci-fi: Sliders, Star Trek or Quantum Leap. 

We love old shows around here. :001_cool:

when ds was five, he adored modern marvels.  a few episodes I had to delete, and some he found upsetting (inside the walls was about fungi and bugs that live inside our walls).  generally he loved it.  and it was fascinating for us grown-ups.

also - how the states got their shapes. (the website also has activities.)

ds likes Bewitched and The Brady Bunch. The Partridge Family and Family Affair flopped here, but they are also good, wholesome, family shows from the same era.

My Three Sons.  Mr. Ellie and I watched the first DVD and were pleasantly surprised to see that it really does hold up over time: widowed father, teaching his sons to be honorable but with no preaching, and with humor. We loved it. :-)

My Three Sons was a favorite of mine when I was younger.  It really is great.  I also enjoyed Family Affair, but I'm not sure if it is available anywhere.

For me those flying monkeys with wings from the Wizard of Oz were the scariest bad guys ever. I still gets the creeps watching that movie.

Aww man did you have to remind me of that just before bed!!! They were bad! I still think the angels were worse though. The flying monkeys are in 2nd place

.  I also enjoyed Family Affair, but I'm not sure if it is available anywhere.

I bought the DVDs of the first season from Amazon and found streamables with my search engine less than a year ago.