Menu

What size would come next for girls' jeans?

Ewe Mama

Joy is as long and lanky as they come. I was trying to order some modest over the booty size 16 slim jeans from various stores, but they apparently don't go beyond 14 slim. What size comes next? Her 14 slims are too short, and she still needs the elastic waist to get the proper fit. Oh, and they need to be affordably priced.

Oh wise, wonderful mamas of the Hive, please point me in the right direction!

Thank you!

0 or 1.  Some stores even have 00!  (Seems kind of silly.)  My daughter was the "fit model" for Target's size 1.  They based their size 1 on her body type a few years ago!  So, I know they have that size.  I think Old Navy does too.  Delia's has small sizes as well.

We'll be in this situation in another year or two. My lanky kid still fits a 12 slim. I think you're at the point when you'll need to look at adult sizing. I know Aeropostale has 0, 00 (even smaller), and 000 (smaller still). They may have different lengths too, I can't remember. My older girl is not lanky, not a slim, but when she went from kid jeans to adult jeans, all of a sudden the jeans were about 6 inches too long! After 14's she had enough curve to go to adult sizing. Old Navy 0's fit perfectly, but I did have to cut off 4-6 inches and re-hem them. All that just to say that if you can find the waist small enough, I think you will be able to find brands with the length you need.

0 or 1. Some stores even have 00! (Seems kind of silly.) My daughter was the "fit model" for Target's size 1. They based their size 1 on her body type a few years ago! So, I know they have that size. I think Old Navy does too. Delia's has small sizes as well.

This is really good to know. I can't remember that far back. I think I went straight into a size 1 or 3, but I had more curves at that point and I was also much older when I needed to switch to juniors.

I was surprised to learn that 5•7•9 is still open. I know they sell a zero. Not sure about double zero. When I went to their website I got a security warning for using the store locator, but the rest of the site looked okay. They also had a sister site linked called Rainbow. Rainbow also listed size 0. Wet Seal carries 00. Don't know if you will find the elastic waist, though. Not sure if any of that helps!

I didn't know they were still around anymore. I remember shopping there for size 1 when I was a senior in high school. I will have to check for stores around here.

We'll be in this situation in another year or two. My lanky kid still fits a 12 slim. I think you're at the point when you'll need to look at adult sizing. I know Aeropostale has 0, 00 (even smaller), and 000 (smaller still). They may have different lengths too, I can't remember. My older girl is not lanky, not a slim, but when she went from kid jeans to adult jeans, all of a sudden the jeans were about 6 inches too long! After 14's she had enough curve to go to adult sizing. Old Navy 0's fit perfectly, but I did have to cut off 4-6 inches and re-hem them. All that just to say that if you can find the waist small enough, I think you will be able to find brands with the length you need.

Thanks for the warning. My sewing machine is always loaded and at the ready!

Thank you for this thread! I have several pairs of size 16 jeans for T this year, but when the next growth spurt hits, they'll be history. I was just wondering what to do for inexpensive jeans (because she's still growing a couple inches a year). Target has a sale this week for $10 jeans. They have size 16, but I don't know if they have slim 16.

Thank you for this thread! I have several pairs of size 16 jeans for T this year, but when the next growth spurt hits, they'll be history. I was just wondering what to do for inexpensive jeans (because she's still growing a couple inches a year). Target has a sale this week for $10 jeans. They have size 16, but I don't know if they have slim 16.

I just checked online...no 16 slim. They have 16 plus everywhere, but not 16 slim. Arrrgghhh. I really don't want to pay $40 for each pair of jeans when she's just going to outgrow them is 6 months.

Once she jumps to juniors sizes, she might not need the elastic since the waist is smaller than the hips.

Yes.  I spent ages and ages looking for jeans that my then 14-yo could wear to high school that didn't give her "bubble butt".  She needed to pull in the 14-slims the elastic button tape.  But I mean, there's a certain age where you can't be running around with jeans with a bubble butt. 

American Eagle has 00 in three lengths and a range of styles - that's been our go-to.  Old Navy Rock Star jeans are also cut very small, and 0 will work (they don't have 00).  The other Old Navy styles are cut much more generously, and did not work.  I also found that the smallest size at Forever 21 can sometimes work (and that's like size 24 or 25?  Sizing's way different there).

Ok new question, which cuts/styles would be best for keeping her booty covered when she jumping around and playing? She is still a little girl, she just happens to be a very tall girl, with large feet. :D. When we go shoe shopping she heads to the women's 9.5 and I go to the kids 3.5. It's hysterical.

I am looking for something that she can bend down in and not have to be self-conscious about her booty hanging out. I hate watching girls tug at their shirts and pants all. Day. Long.

To sum up-

- size 0 or 00 if they don't come with elastic

-modest cut for a tomboy's antics (no flashing booty while bending down)

-not too baggy, not too fitted in the legs. She has to be able to move comfortably

-less than $25/pair

Where do I find such as these?

When I look at the styles on line, they look like they were painted on. Not exactly the look we want/need.

Yes. I spent ages and ages looking for jeans that my then 14-yo could wear to high school that didn't give her "bubble butt". She needed to pull in the 14-slims the elastic button tape. But I mean, there's a certain age where you can't be running around with jeans with a bubble but.

We call this phenomenon "bucket butt" when the waist is too big and gapes open in the back. I suffer from bucket butt on a regular basis when I try to wear jeans. I have no butt. Joy, on the other hand, has the very high, bubble booty that many young AA girls have, but that's the only place she has any curves. Everywhere else is beanpole.

My suggestion would be to go to a local thrift or consignment store.  They have LOTS of jeans in 0, 1, 2, etc.  Then she could try on lots of brands and sizes for the best fit.  It saves money and the jeans still are in great shape.  Our local thrift stores just had $1 sale on their boutique items (fancy name brands) so my dd got a few pairs each for $1 that would have cost $40++++ at the mall.  Another plus is that you know how they will fit after they are washed so you aren't playing the "how much will they shrink" game.

In my experience if I read a tag that says "low rise" they are referring to where it rests in regards to the navel. But I assume that they are low all around. So I pretty much picture myself trying to sit down and not showing my underwear or butt crack and figure they are not the pants for me :laugh:

But it doesn't have to say "low rise" to rest at or below the navel. Those are just lower in my experience.

In my experience, "low rise" means full moon, "mid rise" means half moon, and "high rise" means there's too much cloud cover so no chance of moon visibility (aka no booty exposure at all, no matter how she moves around. "

My suggestion would be to go to a local thrift or consignment store. They have LOTS of jeans in 0, 1, 2, etc. Then she could try on lots of brands and sizes for the best fit. It saves money and the jeans still are in great shape. Our local thrift stores just had $1 sale on their boutique items (fancy name brands) so my dd got a few pairs each for $1 that would have cost $40++++ at the mall. Another plus is that you know how they will fit after they are washed so you aren't playing the "how much will they shrink" game.

This is probably the route we will take. I just hate the dressing rooms at our nearest Goodwill.

IF you live in a more urban area, go check out the Goodwills in the more high end areas of town.  They often have more high end items and the stores might be nicer.

This is probably the route we will take. I just hate the dressing rooms at our nearest Goodwill.