Menu

Really small living room ideas?

BlueTaelon

The new place has a tiny living room, I'm guessing 10x12 tops and thats a generous estimate. My kitchen set up alone (Gluten free with food allergies means everything from scratch and therefore a well equiped kitchen lol) will eat up half the dining area which may mean the table gets put between the dining room and living room. Which may put the living room at 8x8 or so. I googled both small space and micro living but everything coming up looks 3-4x the size of what I have to work with. I dont even own any living room furniture so Im starting from scratch. A full size couch would eat half the space lol. Any blogs or sites I should be checking out? Ive never lived in a space this small.I mean I have as a 1 bedroom with a large bed and livingroom but Its a 2 bedroom with lots of storage/pantry space and I would be surprised if it was over 600 sq ft. I forgot to ask when I was paying the deposit today. The bedrooms are freaking tiny, about 8X8 with wall length closets. Good thing we dont own a lot of stuff. It really is a decent apt and means no more long commute and we can have a social life, I just have no idea on what to about about the living room.

Hmmm just picturing it now and we have a 900 sq ft 2 bedroom and everything at the new place is half what we have here... Im just glad everyone is already trained to use earphones for all electronic devices:)

I have no idea. Weve never really used the space before, family movie night would be about the only thing besides all the therapists and stuff that visit and want a chair but they can use the kitchen table :) Outside of playing wii or tv weve never used a living room which is why I dont mind it but with such a small space overall I think I will need to.

We had a tiny living room at one point and we had no furniture for it really when we moved so that was helpful.

I purchased a 2-seater couch that had very straight sides .. no big arms. 

Later we were given huge recliners that I did make work but instead I wish I had gotten club chairs or something like that but that are recliners.  Slender furniture.  It really helps.

We have our dining table in our living room. We push it against the wall when we need more space.

When we've had the TV in a small living room we had the dining table against the wall except for meals, a wall unit with TV along one wall with a loveseat opposite the TV. We had large floor pillows stored under the loveseat for extra seating.

I recently read a magazine article asserting that in a small room, you should still use full-sized furniture (just less of it). While that might work from a design standpoint, it doesn't do you much good if your couch blocks the door to the kitchen and you find yourself sitting eight inches from the TV.

I like the idea of pillows for seating. 

Lol, we never actually eat at the table. I use it for kitchen work mostly. Id like us to eat dinner at the table but its rarely worked out for one reason for another. This place has very little counter space so Im guessing the table will again get used as my counter. Its a farm table that seats 6-8 and usually is covered with crafts/sewing and baking stuff.

I would get a futon if you ever plan in accommodating guests, then you can use the living room as a quasi bedroom in a pinch.

Otherwise, a few comfy chairs that you can move around and perhaps a small love seat. I would also look at storage ottomans, if you think they are comfy enough they are both storage and seating.

Here is an example, they and other big box stores also have little cube ones that can be single cubes or combined to make a bench area. My children both have a few cube ones that are good, our last house my daughter arranged hers together as a window seat, here they are just regular storage and seating in her room, her current room does not have a window seat possibility.

http://www.target.com/p/double-storage-ottoman-chocolate/-/A-14648432?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14648432&CPNG=Furniture&kpid=14648432&LID=30pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14648432&kpid=14648432&gclid=CjwKEAjwgMieBRCB3bqB94e9lD4SJABW3sTNQJyzkcKBjHzSULP96nWUKw5hHr0FkpYuvakmU0dJERoCHd_w_wcB

This is going to sound idiotic, but instead of separate seating pieces, see if you can find a sectional that fits around the walls of the room almost exactly -- like maybe the kind with the lounge on one end. You'll be able to seat more people comfortably, and someone can even sleep on it in a pinch. You also won't have any wasted space in the corners. If you need lighting, you can use standing lamps behind it.

If you can find something with storage underneath, as Katie suggested, that would be perfect!

But before you buy anything, measure carefully and even try doing a layout of the room by measuring the size of furniture you like and using masking tape on the floor in the exact shape and size to see exactly how it will fit and to be sure you'll still have room to walk around.

That is about the size of the usable part of our lounge. We have 2 2 seated couches, 2 small armchairs, a decent sized coffee table with two kids plastic chairs and stools so the kids can sit at it and one wall.covered in bookshelves. There is still a space about 2 m by 2 m in the middle so the kids can play with their Lego. To make a little more room I generally keep one of the chairs in the bedroom but it is fine. The only problem I have is that it is also the main access point. There is a strip down the side we can't use because it has the main door in and the doors to the bedrooms plus the door to the kitchen is diagonally opposite so the centre of the floor has to be kept clear.

Sorry if this is rude but how can you not use your living room? It is where the kids play and the chairs are? We have a small area for eating in the kitchen but the only heating is in the lounge so in the winter we eat in the lounge, the computer is in the lounge, the tv is in the lounge, the toys are in the lounge. 95% of our life takes place in the living room.

It always fascinates me how we all live so differently.

We have a small house (750 square feet) with a  small living room.  I would LOVE to be able to start from scratch with all new furniture bought to fit the room.  Our biggest problem is actually the poor layout of walls, doors, and windows.  Almost one entire wall is taken up with a fireplace, one wall has a doorway and opening into the kitchen and front door area, one wall has two doorways, and the final wall has a doorway and a vent that can't be blocked.  Very challenging to find furniture layouts to fit.  Right now what we have doesn't work too well.  We have bookshelves to either side of the fireplace but we removed the backing on the upper parts because they sit in front of windows (look like built-ins).  I have another set of bookshelves built over and around the vent and the couch sits in front of them.  We have a full size reclining sofa that is falling apart and will be replaced with a loveseat and ottomans, and a rocking recliner chair.  The tv sits on top of the mantel and we have no coffee table but the kids have a double computer table in one corner.

I agree with measuring carefully and planning things out before buying anything.  Multi-use (ottomans that can be seating) is good, or tables/chairs that will fold up.  Decide what is most important to you - game play, tv watching, sitting around talking?  and plan around that even if it seems a little unusual.

If you don't use your table as a table, I'd downsize that first, and use something else as your extra counter space / project space... Like a card table, kitchen 'carts', or drop-leaf table(s) from ikea.

That alone would probably solve your living room problem, and you could still "eat at them" in a pinch.

If you keep the table, try a bench along the living room side of it... Then it can be table seating or LR seating.

Small scale furniture.  I don't agree that you should have full size furniture in a small room.  Look at Target's website.  They have some cute stuff for reasonable prices.  Here's their couch section: http://www.target.com/c/sofas-loveseats-living-room-furniture/-/N-5xtm1#?lnk=gnav_furniture_7_45&intc=736565|null 

We use TV trays to eat on, and they can be put away (or not) when done.

Think about what you want to do in that room, and get small furniture that accomplishes it.  I got a small desk from Target that I love. This one:

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-windham-desk/-/A-14500157#prodSlot=medium_1_8

although you could go even smaller.

We live in a single wide mobile home. We have a couch with reclining ends and a love seat. We don't have a dining room , instead we have a small area for the table. Our table has 2 drop leafs that we have to put down after using the table or you really can't get to the bathroom, back door, master bedroom or the laundry area.

I'm not really good at this kind of thing, but if you don't use your living room a ton but still want some seating, we have stackable ottomans. They're about 14" square and are a foot or so off of the floor. They stack nicely when not in use, so they don't take up much floor space, but are comfortable enough for the kids to sit on while listening to readalouds. Maybe a love seat and a handful of stackable ottomans or pillows or something like that?

I love looking at the small house sites and searching for ideas on Pinterest.  But, half the suggestions involve building a house with built-in options like lofts and custom furniture - not overly practical when you're trying to set-up an existing house.  Or they have lovely suggestions like "If you don't have a walk-in closet, turn a small unused bedroom into a dressing area" because I don't have enough closets but I have an entire room just sitting unused.  Riiiiight.  :rolleyes:

Or turn an infrequently used closet into a mini-office.  Sure.

Apartment Therapy has a lot of space utilizing ideas.  Searching "small apartment living" on Pinterest is good too.  We own our house but aren't in a position where we can start tearing down walls so apartment ideas that involve furniture arrangements work best for us.

Multipurpose, folding stuff is really helpful.

Think gateleg tables, or tables with leaves, and storage under other functions.

No overstuffed items.  A cozy couch is a must, but not one that is 'deep seating' or with big fat arms and/or back.

Ideas:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89021075/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20266701/

If money were no object I would totally go with stuff from Resource Furniture--it looks amazing:

http://resourcefurniture.com/get-inspired/watch-video/#.U9PWSWPb72M

(Dare to dream, LOL)

I would do a loveseat and perhaps get an ottoman to double as a coffee table - maybe a storage ottoman. Use a tray on it if people will be eating in there. If you need additional seating look at small scale chairs. I recently rearranged my rooms and made my dining room the living and my living room a library/game room. (dining room is in the classroom).

I would have at least one small end table and a table lamp. 

Measure the room and measure anything before you take it home. Furniture can look deceiving in a larger retail space. 

Personally I don't like coffee tables.  They take up a lot of room and make a room look much smaller.

Instead I use a narrow table behind the couch, and end tables, so that people can put down a book or a drink or a snack. I don't allow eating meals in the living room, but if I made an exception I would bring out a folding card table and set it up only temporarily.

BTW, what I use behind the couch happens to be an old sewing table from DH's family that is about a yard long, charming, with inch markings on it.  And what I use for end tables are two old trunks, both of which are filled with 'important papers' (so storage AND table tops).  And I keep craft supplies that I don't use very often under the sewing table in one of those plastic storage carts with three drawers.  They are hard to get to, but completely hidden and still available when I really need them.  Again, storage AND table top in the same space.

I found the key to making good use out of a small living space is perfectly sized and shaped couches/loveseats. Our TV/family room had (being remodeled as I type) FOUR doorways and a fireplace, in a room that is about 15x15, so it made a decent size room VERY hard to get much seating in. For a few years, I only had one regular couch (seated 2 comfortably or 3 squeezed in) and one recliner type chair, as that was the furniture we had when we moved in . . . I finally sprung for a just right couch w/attached ottoman plus a loveseat with ottoman, and a single rocker still fit . . . So it comfortably seats 6 family members (from 3) for movies, etc. So, if I were you, I'd get in there, measure your space and placement of any TV/whatever, and then try to find seating the fits just exactly right. A sectional or similar sofa can often extend your seating without taking up much more floor space.

Oh, and I would also get folding side tables if you plan to eat or do schoolwork in the living room, rather than a coffee table, because you could keep a couple out all the time, pull out a couple more if needed, or put them all away easily if you want an open space. I have oval ones, but square or rectangular ones would let you put them together for gaming or something, maybe with a folding cardboard sewing mat on top if you want a really sturdy surface. Since you mentioned that your dining table will likely be used for kitchen stuff, you might want to eat or do work in the living room, and small foldable surfaces allow for flexibility as well as meaning less surface are on which people can leave clutter.

Forgot to mention--use your vertical space!

You can put a single shelf around most of the room, a foot or so below the ceiling, maybe 15 inches deep.  Paint it white.  Use baskets from the thrift store, or a collection of old, used, character-ish suitcases, or baskets from IKEA (cloth or wicker), to store things in like extra paper, any holiday decorations that you don't want out all the time, toy rotations, a few keepsakes that you don't want to display but want to be able to get at, first aid kit, candles and spare batteries, etc.  That's also a good place to stack games or store books for later years.

Also consider whether an armless couch would work for you--they are far more space-efficient.  (I can't have one because I have to curl up in the back/arm corner of my couch, but not everyone feels that way about it.)

Multi purpose furniture... Our shoe rack doubles as an end table for the big couch, a bookshelf doubles as an end table for the love seat. We also have milk crates (file crates) that I made a seat for as the top and I store my crochet stuff in one, one for baby toys and another holds games. When not being used as seats, they get stacked neatly in the corner :)

For a tiny area, I would think outside the box. Instead of a couch, I would use comfy armchairs that are easier to move around and rearrange. TV trays in lieu of a dining table. Target and Walmart have small square ottomans that double as extra seating, with the bonus of extra storage space. A dresser to use as a tv console, because it has more storage space. Wall hung shelving to help maximize vertical storage space.

Really think about how you actually use that space, instead of how that space is 'supposed' to be used. Lifestyle has a lot to do with it. Some people are big on entertaining, while others (like myself) rarely/never have guests. Sometimes you need to live in a space a little bit before it becomes clear how to best use arrange a space. I'm in the process right now of rearranging some areas, after having lived here over a year.

We use parson's tables from Ikea as end/coffee tables. I can put them together to make a coffee table or break them up for other uses. if one is flexible enough (or young enough) ;), they can be used as craft/work surfaces or to use the laptop. We use my mother's cedar chest as a tv stand for the flat screen, and store blankets and such inside the chest. The tv is light enough that it can be easily lifted off to get out the blankets when it gets cold or put them away at the end of the season. Loft beds with a desk or play area underneath might be an option for children's rooms to give more floor space. Put the legs of a bed on risers so that you can store things underneath. Queen Anne style recliners would take up less room, both physically and visually, than a regular recliner, or at minimum one that can stay against the wall (zero clearance?) when it reclines.

If you celebrate Christmas, we found it useful to get a mini tree (about 3 ft) and put it on one of the parson's tables with a cloth on it. That way it doesn't disrupt the space, and you can put gifts underneath the table.

I would get bean bag chairs, a comfy rug, and have some folding chairs in storage to pull out for visitors that can not be getting up and down off a bean bag.  If you are only using it for family movie night and for the wii portable seating is best.  Pull out the beanbags to sit for the movie, stack them against the wall for the wii and it will open the space right up.  The comfy rug is so the kids can just plop down on the floor if they opt not to use a bean bag.  Otherwise I would still do bean bags and 2 armchairs so you have a couple comfy seats for adults without taking up the amount of space a sofa would

The kids and I live in a very small apartment. Our living room is the biggest space in the house, but I divided it up into a bedroom for my youngest and a smaller living room. I lined the walls with bookcases and got an L-shaped couch. I am surprised by how much the space is working out for us. All the kids can spread out on the couch and watch tv, and all our books have a dedicated space. It's small but cozy.

It took me a while to figure out how to work the space. I rearranged the furniture numerous times because I had such trouble visualizing it beforehand. Maybe you should try a few different setups before you decide.  :)

ETA: You can see pictures of our space on my blog. 

I'd go with a love seat (nobody sits in the middle unless they wanna snuggle anyway) and comfortable, upolstered DR chairs that can double as LR chairs. You can wall-mount your TV in the LR, or even the bedroom.

Have you explored this page? Watch the video.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/small_spaces/

You can also make your LR the dining space. A table can serve as an oversized coffee table. Adults sit on the couch to dine and kids sit opposite on benches that pull out from under the table. It doesn't have to look traditional. It just has to be comfortable and serviceable for your family.

I own a Korean floor table. I put picture wire on the back and hang it on the wall when not in use. (My table has folding legs.) If you don't mind sitting on floor cushions (they even have floor chairs with backs) this is a great space saver. I've used it to serve tea to adults, pizza in front of the TV, as a kids' table at parties, and even for the occasional family dinner.

1D03AE3B-BB50-40BC-957A-F5501988D372-104

Lastly, maybe you CAN do all of your cooking in the kitchen. Here's a photo of Julia Childs' kitchen. She had everything on those walls :

http://www.thefastertimes.com/decorativearts/files/2009/08/135660191_e2d69e80b7-300x225.jpg

I would get bean bag chairs, a comfy rug, and have some folding chairs in storage to pull out for visitors that can not be getting up and down off a bean bag. If you are only using it for family movie night and for the wii portable seating is best. Pull out the beanbags to sit for the movie, stack them against the wall for the wii and it will open the space right up. The comfy rug is so the kids can just plop down on the floor if they opt not to use a bean bag. Otherwise I would still do bean bags and 2 armchairs so you have a couple comfy seats for adults without taking up the amount of space a sofa would

Thats kinda what were doing now. We have a double bean bag I picked up at Goodwill for $8 that we LOVE! (Its the only furniature we have besides 2 folding chairs right now) It is so comfy for a single person. I've thought about making 2 more and using it to make a pattern and stuffing with mostly packing peanuts. Im just tired of the looks I get when ppl show up and find we dont have a couch. Of course right now we dont even have a kitchen table here. Bugs me I gotta think about others comfort in my house when they visit when I live here ya know? Selfish I know, Im just not one to follow mainstream anything but this living room thing is just bugging me for some reason. I probably wont even get to do anything with the space until winter unless I manage to pick up a bunch of hours at work, thats not likely until Nov, Dec though.

I'd go with a love seat (nobody sits in the middle unless they wanna snuggle anyway) and comfortable, upolstered DR chairs that can double as LR chairs. You can wall-mount your TV in the LR, or even the bedroom.

Have you explored this page? Watch the video.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/small_spaces/

You can also make your LR the dining space. A table can serve as an oversized coffee table. Adults sit on the couch to dine and kids sit opposite on benches that pull out from under the table. It doesn't have to look traditional. It just has to be comfortable and serviceable for your family.

I own a Korean floor table. I put picture wire on the back and hang it on the wall when not in use. (My table has folding legs.) If you don't mind sitting on floor cushions (they even have floor chairs with backs) this is a great space saver. I've used it to serve tea to adults, pizza in front of the TV, as a kids' table at parties, and even for the occasional family dinner.

1D03AE3B-BB50-40BC-957A-F5501988D372-104

Lastly, maybe you CAN do all of your cooking in the kitchen. Here's a photo of Julia Childs' kitchen. She had everything on those walls :

http://www.thefastertimes.com/decorativearts/files/2009/08/135660191_e2d69e80b7-300x225.jpg

A floor table with pillows is something Ive thought about as well but thought about it taking up space, your idea of adding folding legs and hanging it could make that a real option. I dont have enough band width left on my phone to watch videos right now:(

Sigh.. I need to go back to cooking...

A floor table with pillows is something Ive thought about as well but thought about it taking up space, your idea of adding folding legs and hanging it could make that a real option. I dont have enough band width left on my phone to watch videos right now:(

Sigh.. I need to go back to cooking...

I posted a photo I could find quickly, but all of the tables I see in the Asian markets already have folding legs. I just had to come up with a way to hang it and picture wire seemed the easiest. My table has peacocks on it, so most people think it's a picture. It's similar to this:

F161CEFB-34CE-4C06-BAAA-B0881E4E995B.jpg

The kids and I live in a very small apartment. Our living room is the biggest space in the house, but I divided it up into a bedroom for my youngest and a smaller living room. I lined the walls with bookcases and got an L-shaped couch. I am surprised by how much the space is working out for us. All the kids can spread out on the couch and watch tv, and all our books have a dedicated space. It's small but cozy.

It took me a while to figure out how to work the space. I rearranged the furniture numerous times because I had such trouble visualizing it beforehand. Maybe you should try a few different setups before you decide.  :)

ETA: You can see pictures of our space on my blog.

It looks amazing, Jilly -- you're obviously a very creative person! :thumbup:

I have no idea. Weve never really used the space before, family movie night would be about the only thing besides all the therapists and stuff that visit and want a chair but they can use the kitchen table :) Outside of playing wii or tv weve never used a living room which is why I dont mind it but with such a small space overall I think I will need to.

With such a tiny space, I would think you would want to maximize every square inch.

Don't worry about decorating for guests, though -- do what works best for your family and let other people suck it up and deal with it when they visit.

I know that sounds mean, but when you're living in a small place, it needs to work for you, and then you try to find a way to deal with guests. You can always get a few folding chairs for extra seating and store them in a closet or something.

I could build that easily and cheaply! Wish I had the measurements already but I wont until we move in.

Really? By the time you buy hardwood, hardware, paint, cushions, and upolstery fabric won't it be close to $300 anyway? I'm not handy with wood, so this is what I tell myself to feel better ðŸ˜

Really? By the time you buy hardwood, hardware, paint, cushions, and upolstery fabric won't it be close to $300 anyway? I'm not handy with wood, so this is what I tell myself to feel better ðŸ˜

Nope, maybe $50 tops to build and stain, I know the foam bottom is only $20 at Fred Meyer and I can get the fabric with a 50% off coupon from the fabric store or a thrift store find. Even a high thread count sheet could be used for the fabric and still look nice. Back pillows are an easy thrift store find for less then $20 total new at craft store with coupon. $100 tops, $150 if I needed to pay retail for everything. One thing I know how to do is shop for the best deals:)