Menu

Just got a call from the "department of legal affairs"... UPDATE in #13

Susan in TN

I said "Susan" wasn't available and took a message. The guy had an accent, but repeated his name and number several times. He said it concerned a criminal matter and that was all he could say. He pronounced my first and last name incorrectly, which is the main reason I didn't identify myself. It is a California area code.

Scam? Or am I involved in a criminal matter of which I am unaware?

Update: looked up the number and it's a phishing scam. You'd think the guy would at least change his name.

I vote scam.

If you are involved in a criminal matter, any legal correspondence would be in writing, or you'd have police show up in person.

Google is you best friend:

http://articles.mcall.com/2014-03-14/news/mc-m-wilson-phone-scam-20140314_1_phone-scam-wilson-arrest-warrant

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Department-of-legal-affairs-and-investigation/internet/Department-of-legal-affairs-and-investigation-Phone-call-regarding-an-unpaid-payday-loan-879001

there are more

Yes, scam.  I got into quite an argument when they called here.  I told them that criminal and legal matters of the type he was trying to convince me of aren't handled over the phone.  I went into a tirade about the U.S. not doing things that way and why on earth would he work for a company that would try to convince me otherwise.  He kept saying something about the police showing up at my door and taking someone away and how upset I would be if I didn't handle it with him.

I hung up and did indeed report it.  A local friend of mine had the exact same call on the same day.

They called a week later, and my multilingual kid answered in another language and gave them quite a tirade.

Then they called yesterday, and my multilingual kid picked yet another language to rant in, and they tried to talk to him in Spanish.

Apparently telling them "do not call list" doesn't work.

I had a phone call from "private name, private number" with a person on the other end who had a very heavy Caribbean accent claiming to be "ISR", fumble sputter, "IRS" and saying we owed money. I yelled, "Heck no you aren't IRS but please stay on the line while my son calls the sheriff and has this call traced."

Click! Never called back. I alerted the sheriff's department and he said state police, sheriff, and FBI are working together on it because there has been a real increase in this kind of phone scam in recent weeks.

We have a rule in our house, which is necessary whether you live in the USA, here in Colombia, or in some other country. Sadly, when our phone rings, if we do not know the person who called us, we assume that the person on the other end of the phone is not who they say they are. We do not give any information (names address, etc.). If we initiate a call, to a bank, for example, we know that we called a bank. But, if someone calls  us and says they are calling from our bank, we are extremely cautious.  Best to assume that criminals are calling...

I said "Susan" wasn't available and took a message. The guy had an accent, but repeated his name and number several times. He said it concerned a criminal matter and that was all he could say. He pronounced my first and last name incorrectly, which is the main reason I didn't identify myself. It is a California area code.

Scam? Or am I involved in a criminal matter of which I am unaware?

Update: looked up the number and it's a phishing scam. You'd think the guy would at least change his name.

Scam

If it is real, you get served with a Complaint by a server, or arrested, for a larger charge.  Or you get subpoenaed, if you are to be a witness. 

They are typically offshore, so not concerned at all about the "Do not call" list. 

Update: 

He called back, but this time he was "Jeremy" calling from the "United States Ministry of Health and Human Services" in Washington to let me know I am the recipient of an $8000 grant!  Unbelievable!  I didn't even apply for it.  When I asked about the selection process he painstakingly explained that it was not a random selection, but couldn't tell me exactly what the criteria was beyond that I was a loyal citizen.  I asked him to go through the lengthy explanation 4 times.  Then he very politely attempted to answer my questions about whether or not the money came from a federal tax fund, if this grant was taken from excess Obama Care funds, if there was a website to which I could submit a "satisfied customer" essay, and if he understood that he was calling a citizen of the United States and that we don't have "Ministries".  I asked for his help in thinking of the many countries that DO have "Ministries" and I could only come up with Britain, India, and Japan, and maybe Canada? I was hoping he knew of more but we just couldn't get any further on that topic.

I finally told him that I hoped they were paying him well because he was obviously a dedicated employee and hung up.

For those sorts of calls, our state's consumer protection dept basically suggests not answering the phone. There's really no do not call list and answering just tells them it's an active line and encourages them to keep calling. I followed their advice the last time we had a phising type call (and call, and call, and call) and eventually they did stop calling and have not called back. These days I basically don't answer any call if I don't know the number.

For those sorts of calls, our state's consumer protection dept basically suggests not answering the phone. There's really no do not call list and answering just tells them it's an active line and encourages them to keep calling. I followed their advice the last time we had a phising type call (and call, and call, and call) and eventually they did stop calling and have not called back. These days I basically don't answer any call if I don't know the number.

We really should but very stupidly do not have caller i.d. on our phone.

:0) That would make it tough. Screen calls with an answering machine?

If I don't recognize a number, I let my machine get it and I screen it (I still have a land line with an actual answering machine). I can't screen my cell phone, of course, but I don't answer calls when I don't recognize the number.

Before we had caller I.D., I would answer the phone, but if I didn't recognize the caller, and he didn't identify himself, no one was home.

Me: Hello?

Scammer: Mrs. Andrew?

Me (Mrs. Andrew): I'm sorry. She isn't here. May I take a message?

Scammer: No, that's all right. I'll call back.

Or...

Me: Hello?

Scammer: May I speak to Mr. Andrew please?

Me (looking at Mr. Ellie sitting across from me): I'm sorry. He's not here. May I take a message?

Scammer: No, that's all right. I'll call back.

:D

I think we should merge this topic with the proselytizing one, because I think we should be witnessing to these people about our God of choice.... hey, we've got a captive audience, why not use it productively? ;)

Edited to fix the tablet auto correct...

Oh, you are definitely on to something here!  And surely they would appreciate knowing the 34 symptoms of menopause for themselves or someone they love! 

To the bolded: same here. I have come to loathe the phone. 

my latest was the fifth call that day from the same energy company.

"hello, mrs. elfgivas.  how are you today?"

"well, if you are from abc energy, i am very, very angry".

sputter, sputter, click.

no more calls. 

i don't usually lose it, but i did.

ann

I just keep getting robo-calls saying, "Hi, this is Diane, and I'm calling to see if you would like your carpets PROFESSIONALLY CLEANED? We're having a whole-house special right now..."  I yell at the phone, "No, I don't have carpet!" and hang up.  Diane is persistent though.

I just got a land line for the first time in 12 years. So far I have got a wrong number (sorry you have the wrong number, click) an survey person (sorry I am in the middle of something, click) and my mother. I guess i have been lucky so far.

I vote the - sorry the kitchen is on fire, give me your number and I'll call you back.

We have ministeries in NZ.