Menu

Runners, tell me it gets better

It does get better.  I started running (again) back in Nov.  At first, I swear it felt like 60 seconds would kill me.  Now I'm training for a 10K and my Sat long runs are 6-7 miles.  I can't say that it's easy, but it's more doable and mostly not dreaded.

Things that help:

make sure you are well hydrated before you run

get some tech clothing, will make you much more comfy

avoid the heat like the black plague

take walk breaks when you need them (I take a 1 minute break every 7 minutes on my long runs)

go sloooooowwwww (unless you are doing speed work)  preserve your energy until the end, you can always kick it up at the end

take a rest day or cross training day between runs - it's just too much pounding day after day...runners who run 3x almost never get hurt, 4x week seldom get hurt, 5+ injury rate goes way up

don't do too much too soon, generally increase no more than 10% per week.

And this:  every run counts, no matter how slow....you don't have to finish pretty, you just have to finish

I agree, it does get easier!

GO slow, don't worry about your time at all. 

I have to disagree on the quoted stats above about injuries with frequent running. If one is running 5, 10, 15, 20 miles per week it is much gentler on the body to divide that number by 5 than by 3. More frequent shorter runs do more to strengthen, longer less frequent runs do more to stress muscles and ligaments. Do some research and come to your own conclusion though. You will find that you ramp up much more quickly running more frequently. (although it is crucial to build your milage very slowly! I just mean your endurance will ramp up and running will get easier more quickly.)

I do a short run, med run, short run, day off, long run, med run, day off. Works well for me. BUT you must be willing to listen to your body and take days off as your body dictates. Every 4th week I drop down to 3 short/med runs for that week.

It does get better. I started running in March just as a way to get back in shape. I was sure I was going to HATE it. I had always hated running games as a kid because I was always the slowest. 

Like Tammy, I though I was just going to drop to the ground after only about 60 seconds!!! It's kind of funny to think back to my reaction at that time. 

I kept with it, though, and found out that I actually LIKE running. Then I got shin splints. Ugh. 

Got over the shin splints, and seem to be progressing reasonably well. 

I second the clothes and hydration, and especially the advice to avoid the heat. Get up early, run late, but don't run when it's hot. You will regret it!!! 

Did you make sure your shoes are good?

If you don't already, get yourself a running log or app that will keep track of your mileage.  It is very motivating to look back and see your miles and see how far you've come and how much you've done.

I use Nike+ because it came already on my itouch, but there are others, or you could just use paper.  I can look back and see that 8 months ago I was barely covering 1 mile.  Now I do 6-7 on Sats.  That's motivating!

It gets better. For me finding the right time of day was important. I dislike the summer running because I have to be up very early to do it! During the fall, winter and spring I can do an afternoon or late morning run which I like.

If I don't run outside I'm simply not going to run. I have a treadmill, but I only will use that if there are no other options. Basically only if there is a tornado or major lightning.

It gets better, but it can take a while before it does.  It took me a year of running before I started experiencing a "runner's high".  I think it took my body that long to feel like running wasn't equal to dying. I still have days where running is hard and doesn't feel great (today was one of them), but most days it feels good, and if I miss too many days of running my body starts to crave it.  

Stick with it, it does get better. :)

I would also suggest that as soon as you can, start changing up your mileage on different days.  So, if you are currently running 3 miles, 3x per week, extend 1 of those days to 4 and maybe drop one to 2.  Aside from various training effects, this has a huge mental effect.  You will be challenged ONE day a week to go longer than you typically do.  One day a week will be what you're accustomed to.  And another day per week will be LESS than you are accustomed to and will seem (relatively) easy.  What this does is make it so you don't have to mentally work yourself up to it so much.  It's nice to have a shorter day, where you can just get up and go, "oh yeah, this is much short day, cool, I got this."

I remember the first time I went through the C25k. On the first run of each week, I felt like I was going to die. By the end of the week, it wasn't so bad. Then the next week started, and I felt like I was going to die, etc. It's been a while now that I've been running, and some days are worse than others, but those are fewer.

It does!!

I recommend the C25K app, N.O. Loaded V2 (watermelon flavor!!) an hour before you run, and to get 2 pairs of expensive running shoes and rotate them weekly. I know the shoes are a big deal, but if you get into it you'll want 2.

ETA: And the right clothes! Seriously! No cotton.

Good shoes are important!

I don't know that it does necessarily get better. I still whine when we go out.

There's also no time of the day when it isn't hot here now :(

However, it is neat to see progress....

Short answer: yes, it does get better. 

I made it through the Ct5K program this spring/summer: ran my first 5K race on the 4th of July.

It's not super easy.  I certainly don't love it.  I do find it less dreadful now than when I started.  And I'm starting to notice how much better I feel (especially on my "off" day).  The runs themselves are made much better by making sure I'm following all the ideas the previous posters have mentioned: proper hydration BEFORE I run, moisture-wicking shirts, running shoes, running when it's still cool out (out here that means by 8 am in the summer - no later, as even the evening times are still too hot).  The hardest jump for me was going from 3 8-minute runs to 1 20-minute run.  I thought I was gonna die.  But I'm still here.  And I've gone on to do more.   Don't give up yet - use some sort of training or tracking program (Ct5K, mapmyrun) to help you along. 

I've also found that having a selection of music, podcasts or audiobooks provide enough "distraction" during the runs to keep me from being...bored.  Yes, there I said it.   I find running BORING.  I do enjoy being alone with my thoughts, but while running I need a bit more.  I can only recite "Jabberwocky" so many times in my head per run, and mentally chanting "I am slower than 90's dial-up; but I run." gets tedious after awhile.    The right music not only helps keep my mind from noticing what I'm making my body do, but sometimes even provides motivation. 

It gets so much better. I didn't start running until I was 49. I run about 25-30 miles/ week now. Just my experience. Ignore shoulda. Run until you're tired, walk, repeat. Excellent music on my iPod and a good bra really helped. Consistency too. The hardest part is putting on your shoes and getting going. Listen to your body. If you give it a fair shot ( three months?) and still don't like it try biking or Zumba or something else. Best of luck!

I realize that there are mixed reviews of this, but switching to a forefoot strike (rather than a heel strike) has made running so much less difficult, dreadful, and painful for me. When I would heel strike, I would just feel so HEAVY and slow, and I would always get a terribly painful "stitch" in my side. When I forefoot strike, I feel light and free and it's actually fun.

And right now, I'm just doing a run-walk-run thing to keep my heart rate in my proper training zone. I'm hoping my fitness will improve to the point where I can run the whole time, but I'm not pushing it. That has also made it far more enjoyable than when I used to train at a level that was really too high for me.

ETA - This is what I used to calculate my training zone: http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/aerobic-or-anaerobic/

easier, less dreaded, something!

They're all lying. It never gets better or enjoyable. It's always awful. I ran for four years in the Army. I hated every run I ever did. I was even GOOD at it. They forced me onto the Run Team which involved extra, longer, earlier runs. It never got better. I never liked it. I liked being in shape, but there are much more fun ways to do that that don't strain your knees.

Running is awful and bad. If you like it, it's because you have the running addiction gene that compels you to keep running for no good reason. Next you'll be recovering from shin splint surgery and on Facebook complaining you can't run for another week.

It's an illness. Just say No.

Another runner saying, "Yes, it most certainly gets better!" I remember when I had to use sheer force of will to finish a mile. But I kept plugging along and eventually it wasn't work anymore. My longest run has been 15 miles and it felt wonderful!

One thing to remember, though, is that even when you start increasing your mileage, that first one or two miles sometimes stinks. I have had several long runs in which I spent the first 2 miles wondering exactly what it was I liked about running. :) But then my body gets warmed up and I'm feeling the runnin' love! I have several distance runner friends who also don't love the first mile or two.

Try to remember that it's not about how fast you go, but it's about doing something healthy for mind and body.

They're all lying. It never gets better or enjoyable. It's always awful. I ran for four years in the Army. I hated every run I ever did. I was even GOOD at it. They forced me onto the Run Team which involved extra, longer, earlier runs. It never got better. I never liked it. I liked being in shape, but there are much more fun ways to do that that don't strain your knees.

Running is awful and bad. If you like it, it's because you have the running addiction gene that compels you to keep running for no good reason. Next you'll be recovering from shin splint surgery and on Facebook complaining you can't run for another week.

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you remember the rules!

Another runner saying, "Yes, it most certainly gets better!" I remember when I had to use sheer force of will to finish a mile. But I kept plugging along and eventually it wasn't work anymore. My longest run has been 15 miles and it felt wonderful!

One thing to remember, though, is that even when you start increasing your mileage, that first one or two miles sometimes stinks. I have had several long runs in which I spent the first 2 miles wondering exactly what it was I liked about running. :) But then my body gets warmed up and I'm feeling the runnin' love! I have several distance runner friends who also don't love the first mile or two.

Try to remember that it's not about how fast you go, but it's about doing something healthy for mind and body.

I have to agree about the first two miles being awful. I always feel like everything is off, then at about two miles I feel good. Walking at least half a mile before I start running helps too.

Isn't trophy hunting a good reason?

Dh has signed up for a half next year. I think I'll stick to the occasional 5k.

Did 2 miles yesterday and pace is improving, although I've got a few walk breaks still....

I'm someone who has walked fuh-rever and loved it (I walk very briskly -- usually 4.0-4.5 mph) and I thought I'd try running.  I didn't try long -- didn't like it.  These days I combine.  I walk briskly mostly, but a couple of days a week, I add in interval training where I sprint for 20-30 seconds 10-14 times during a 45-60 minute outing.  I warm up for a good mile then start the sprinting: 20-30 seconds sprinting, a minute or so of brisk walking (although not quite as brisk as before and after the sprinting), another 20-30 seconds of sprinting.  Lather, rinse, repeat a dozen or so times.  Then I walk briskly for a good 2 miles more after that.  So I'm not a runner per se, but I do get some running in.  I find sprinting easier on my knees and feet than jogging, by the way. 

I like this post!!

This. I ran for almost 3 years. Did some races. Never once felt that runners high or any kind of "boy, that was a good run." I finally realized I was a grown up and could decide running was stupid, and that was the end of my running career.

It gets better!! I promise! I hated running until I got to about 4 miles. Once I got past 5 miles, I was hooked. 2 marathons, a few thousand miles, and at least 8 pairs of running sneaks and nearly 4 years later, I am still running. 

YOU GO GIRL!

There is nothing cooler or more awesome than a running woman. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. It is the best thing I've done for my family and marriage in many moons. It's awesome on every level. 

It really does get easier. Just take every run slow (slow down!!) and gentle, and have fun. Try new runs, new music, new trails, new company . . . keep on keeping on!

ps. I have had runner's highs plenty of times. After mile 4 or so, running can be blissful. Miles 5-15 are nearly always awesome. Occasionally miles 16-17 are really hard (especially mile 17, there is something about 17 that is particularly hard). I think the key is to not kill yourself on every run. You'll have to kill yourself for the first 50 runs or so, because it takes that long for your body to learn some reasonable cadence and form and for you to get fit enough to run at all without thinking you are going to die. But, once you get past that initial fitness/form threshold, running can be relaxing, social, meditative, and spectacular. 

pps. I nearly always hate the first 2-3 miles. There were about 6 months when I was super-duper strong and fit, and finally those first miles no longer stunk 90% of the time. However, I had a lengthy (non running related) illness that took me back far in my fitness, so I am back at the hating-the-first miles stage. However, at least now I know it is possible to get fit enough to no longer feel that way nearly every run! It took me probably 3500 running miles to get that strong . . . and I am guessing I have another 1000 or so before I get that strong once again.

Ditto on the first two miles thing! I always struggle and yap inwardly the entire first mile and a half, and grumble the rest of the first two. Then I'm resigned and enjoying it. Getting out and doing it has always been the hardest part for me, though.

Running is a great activity, but it's not necessarily for everyone and it can be difficult in the beginning. Could you imagine jumping in and swimming 10 - 20 quick or even slow laps in the pool without some thought about technique, building up some aerobic endurance, having proper equipment, etc.? Probably not, yet many people think that because running is so "natural" and we pretty much learn how to do it on our own, that it should be very easy. Not so.

Give yourself some time to build up endurance, look at your running technique (I definitely prefer a forefoot gait as opposed to heel strike), proper equipment (shoes, clothing, hat), proper hydration and nutrition, and environmental factors such as heat, humidity, hills, running surface, etc.

There are many great reasons to run; it's a really time efficient, cheap and effective way to get in a medium to high intensity work-out. You can do it alone, in a group, inside on a treadmill or in the great outdoors. It requires less equipment and training than a lot of other activities. You can combine it with other physical activities to increase aerobic endurance.

I realize that there are mixed reviews of this, but switching to a forefoot strike (rather than a heel strike) has made running so much less difficult, dreadful, and painful for me. When I would heel strike, I would just feel so HEAVY and slow, and I would always get a terribly painful "stitch" in my side. When I forefoot strike, I feel light and free and it's actually fun.

I couldn't agree more.  I switched my shoes and it made all the difference for me; as a side benefit, I haven't had issues with heel spurs or plantar fasciitis since switching either.

I haven't read through all the other replies yet, but it does get better.  I used to dread running "The Mile" in school, but I started running to lose the baby weight when DS was about a year and became hooked.  I ran my first 5K after 4 months of running, found out I was expecting DD two days later, and took a running hiatus for most of pregnancy.  Since DD was born five years ago, I've run two 10ks, and three half marathons.  I still hate the first mile or so of each run, but then I usually start to feel great.  

I've taken the last couple months off since my most recent half because my shoes were done by the end of the race and I haven't taken the time to go to the good running store to get new ones yet.  My kids are doing a children's marathon in September (they have all summer to run 25 miles a mile at a time, then run the final 1.2 miles at a formal race with t-shirts and medals at the end), so I need to get back to running with them. So far they've been running with DH until I get my new shoes.

I love the "Run Like a Mother" books and follow them on Facebook.  They talk a lot about how to manage your life as a mom (and everything else) and a runner.

easier, less dreaded, something!

Well I used to run, but I'm saving my joints for my old age. Now I'm using the indoor exercise cycle and swimming.

Recently I've been going to funerals of health nuts, so I'm trying not to overdo anything!

StephanieZ, that is encouraging to hear.  I am in the I am going to die stage.  Actually it is more I know I'm going to die if I take one more step stage. 

This is actually one of the best things about running, IMHO. Since I am so focused on not dying before I get back to my car, I can't worry or fret or stress about anything else! Totally clears the mind and gives my ever-stressing brain a rest! I call it Meditation on the Move, as I am way too busy-brained to meditate while sitting still. :) This is also why I try very hard to avoid running PAST my car. I do out-and-backs or loops, but I rarely have a route that passes home or passes my vehicle, because for the first hundred or so runs, I was pretty sure I'd just get IN my car and go home if I got within sight of it mid-run. I have great awe for people who regularly run mile loops around their house or quarter mile loops around a track, lol. I am experienced enough now that I will accept a multi-loop route if really needed, but I still prefer to avoid them, and I still joke about getting back in the car if it comes within sight. 

Really, slow down. 10 min/miles are for teenagers or very experienced runners. 12-13 min miles are for mortals like me. "So long as my feet are moving in a running motion, I am running." was my mantra for the first many, many months. If it is hard SLOW DOWN. Just keep moving. Take 1-2 min walk breaks every 3-12 minutes if they feel good and help. I know people who run 60 mile races (really!) and have ALWAYS routinely taken walk breaks . . . There is no shame in walking some or slowing down. I personally prefer not to take walk breaks, but lots of runners love them, and they are certainly very healthy.