Menu

Bicycle or ????

roanna

We just moved to a smaller town and found out that one car is not really going to cut it anymore with my husband's new job.  He has to take the car most days.  So that leaves us stuck at home, no bus transportation and no family around.  

I want to be able to get to some places within a mile or so just to get the kids out to the park, grocery store etc so we don't go crazy.  We were going to buy a second car but we really need to pay down bills and I the thought of adding another one.  Also in a few months once winter comes we will be stuck at home anyways because it will be 30 below and mounds of snow.  So why waste money on another car for such short use??

Soooo...  my question is I have a large 8 year old boy (height and weight) and a 4.5 year old girl.

I am racking my brain trying to find something that will hold them both.  Can anyone help me?

I've tried to google bike trailers etc but they do not seem to hold enough.  My son is about 93 pounds and my daughter about 38.  

I am open to anything.  I am physically able to do whatever and don't mind a workout.

Thanks!!!

If it's within a mile I'd just walk, but in the heat the kids might balk.  Can your 8 year old ride a bike? If so, he can ride and you can put your younger one in a trailer or on a trail behind bike attached to yours.  Craigslist is a great source for these things!

I think it'll be difficult to find a way to carry both of them. 

We bike most places within 2 miles. My 9, 7, and 5 year olds all ride their own bikes and I put the 2-year-old on a bike seat. We usually bike on sidewalks.

My bike cost $20, both my daughters' bikes were free, and my son's cost $100, but that was because we foresee it lasting 5+ years and we were under time pressure to buy it!

If you put the word out, you can often find people who have spare bikes in their garage that they will sell you cheaply.

I would put both kids on their own bikes, both of mine were riding without training wheels by 5.  My second choice would be to put the older on his own bike and the younger on a tag a long bike.  

Or, just walk.

I'd walk up to 2 miles. I'd start having the kids bikes next to you as you walk, practicing hand signals and other safety skills. The younger one may still have training wheels, but this will help with both her balance and safety.

When you've gotten to the point of them being proficient, get a bike for you (craigslist, free cycle, used from a bike shop, whatever works for you). Then all three of you can ride together and go further

I didn't use a stroller past age three, so I know that mine were walking at least a mile each way to various locations in Hong Kong heat and humidity from that age onwards.  You will have to allow a good amount of time at first, but they will get used to it.

L

Thanks for all the ideas.  My 8 year old is not very coordinated , nothing wrong really , just sort of like his dad so when he did have a bike over a year ago it still had training wheels.  It just occurred to me that I've seen a ride a long type board for strollers that might be good.  My daughter is quite the risk taker (and she's fast) so I was hoping to push or pull her somehow and leave the adventure to the playground.  

It just occurred to me that I've seen a ride a long type board for strollers that might be good.

Your 8 year old is likely over the weight limit for the ride along boards. Buggy Board's limit is 44lbs for example. A metal foldable wagon might work.

I'd do a used jog stroller for the daughter and have you and DS walk until he's coordinated enough for a bike. Once he's riding, I'd consider a bike for you with that third wheel attachment for your daughter.

A mile just isn't that long, so it should be no problem for a large 8-year-old. I wouldn't try to pull 150 lbs on a bike. You might not be able to stop!

I have a pretty uncoordinated kid too but she was riding at 8.  A little practice will go a long way in getting the 8 year old riding well.  For your daughter at this point I'd buy something like this off of Craigslist:

tag-along-bike-1.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas.  My 8 year old is not very coordinated , nothing wrong really , just sort of like his dad so when he did have a bike over a year ago it still had training wheels.  It just occurred to me that I've seen a ride a long type board for strollers that might be good.  My daughter is quite the risk taker (and she's fast) so I was hoping to push or pull her somehow and leave the adventure to the playground.  

A leash might be a good idea until she gets used to walking sensibly.

My eldest didn't learn to ride a bike without training wheels until he was nine.  

L

If you are in shape enough to pedal that much weight, then the bucket one would probably be a good option. If you can use it regularly spring summer fall, then you will definitely get the value out of it. A lot cheaper than a car.

A few years back there was a story about a woman in Portland who hauled 5 of her 7 kids in a bike like that, everywhere, in all kinds of weather.

So I found this! I want it but a bit expensive, but sooo cool.

http://shop.madsencycles.com/collections/2014-bikes/products/madsen-kg271-2013-black

This is cool but even more money:

http://clevercycles.com/xtracycle-edgerunner-clever-family-build

Two families that bikes to the library uses this for their two children (each family has two kids). The child seat can take up to 80kg (about 176lbs).

http://www.babboe.co.uk/babboe-city.html

ETA:

It's $3,499 at my local store

http://www.astreetbikenameddesire.com/?product=bakfiets

Yes, I saw those dutch bikes but that would put me in buying a car category.  Love it though.  the lady uses one of those and puts 4 kids in it.

Yeah, the initial expense is as much as a used car but there's no gas or insurance costs to worry about. And maintaining a bike is cheap. 

I would be worried about putting kids in something that was specifically designed to be a people carrier.  It might become top heavy or unstable and I'd hate to dump my kids on the sidewalk at 10 mph.  

My husband just started a new job and on about the 4th day they notified him that he would need to be visiting patients within a 40 mile radius about 50% of his job duties.  So dropping him off like we've been doing for the last 6 years is no longer possible.  We tried it for a week and it was a mess. He'd get paged and we'd have to drop him off  pick him up drop him as he was paged.

Then he got paged for a town 20 miles away.  

I love those sites Michelle My Bell but I don't live in Europe , as a matter of fact , I don't live near any real city.  I would be willing to drive a few hours to get a cool one but I don't the nearby cities have one.  I'm from Seattle and lived in Portland and they'd be a dime a dozen there.  :(

And for just walking, I wouldn't mind at all but one of my kids complains after 15 minutes of walking and the other one wants to run 5 miles, stop and look at daisies, chase a dog etc.  

Do you live in a flat area? Do you have sidewalks?

While we walk or bike most places here, we didn't when we lived at the top of a super-steep hill (I seriously saw adult males who were fit walking their bikes up it)...

We went without a car for 8 months in an area that was only somewhat served by public transit. It was really freeing, and it made me love my car when I got the new-to-us one in April! I lost a bunch of weight, though. Once, my baby, 2-year-old, and 4-year-old and I walked a mile home while it snowed from our foreign language club. I wore the baby, but the 2- and 4-year-olds were walking. I told them, "You can go as slowly as you want, but you can't stop!" It took an hour, but we made it.

I think kids learn road safety quickly when they have exposure, but the exposure is necessary. My 2-year-old rides his balance bike to the park, .5 miles away, and is often in front of me. He knows to stop at intersections. (Of course I stay closer on busy roads!) My 5, 7, and 9 year olds could easily ride to the park safely on their own, though culturally that isn't acceptable. 

If you have a good safe place to walk/ride, you could get the kids foot powered scooters. There are more "fun" than just walking, and for an added benefit, once they get really good at balancing on scooters, the transition to balancing on a bike is often quick and easy.

We went to a store today to look at bikes and my son said he wants to ride his own bike.  I'm glad.  But we'll have to get training wheels for a while.  This now leaves open a trailer pulled behind me for my daughter which can  hold toys/groceries with her.  Much better.  

Well if anyone really cares (laughing to myself) I decided to get one of these for my daughter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD45N7W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

She's the active one so I think she'd appreciate doing something but it contains her on MY bike so she can't do what she wants and run away and then my son will have his own bike.  I'm pretty excited about this.  We're also looking to move to the other side of town so there are more things within biking and walking distance.  We have a huge hill on one side of us now, the bike brakes would wear out in one ride and we'd end up hitting a deer and wild turkeys in the process!  

I love those sites Michelle My Bell but I don't live in Europe , as a matter of fact , I don't live near any real city.  I would be willing to drive a few hours to get a cool one but I don't the nearby cities have one.  I'm from Seattle and lived in Portland and they'd be a dime a dozen there.   :(

There are several US companies that sell cargo bikes and ship throughout the country. Let me know if you'd like some leads, I'll be happy to share what I know. 

Where I live in FL, adult tricycles are very popular.  They're about $250 or so at Wal-Mart/Sam's Club.  They have a nice basket in the back for groceries. :)  

I think you can put a bike trailer behind them, but I'm not sure.  

Well if anyone really cares (laughing to myself) I decided to get one of these for my daughter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD45N7W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

She's the active one so I think she'd appreciate doing something but it contains her on MY bike so she can't do what she wants and run away and then my son will have his own bike.  I'm pretty excited about this.  We're also looking to move to the other side of town so there are more things within biking and walking distance.  We have a huge hill on one side of us now, the bike brakes would wear out in one ride and we'd end up hitting a deer and wild turkeys in the process!  

:hurray:

I am excited for you

:hurray: