Menu

Another cake thread, with a poll! Tacky party theme, yea or nay?

MercyA

70 members have voted

1. 1. Is "Let Them Eat Cake" a tacky party theme?

• Yes, it's definitely in poor taste. What were they thinking?
    • No, it's actually pretty cute.
    • Meh. It's a kids' party. I'm indifferent.
    • Obligatory other.

I was flipping through a Birthday Express catalog and came across this party theme, right between the "Hello Kitty" and "Pink Mod Monkey" parties:

Let Them Eat Cake: “Our Let Them Eat Cake party supplies are cute, elegant and overflowing with French style and sophistication. Historically beautiful." In addition to "Let Them Eat Cake" plates and stickers, you can also purchase a Marie Antoinette costume and what looks like a Marie Antoinette piñata (!). Because nothing says "let's party" like starving peasants.  :rolleyes:

Putting aside the fact that Marie Antoinette probably never said any such thing, what do you think?  Is this a tacky party theme for little girls?  

It does not strike me as worse as a pirate themed party.  Pirates are criminals.  So kids pretend to be criminals and celebrate that as a party theme?

I

I see what you mean.  I don't know, though...I think "pirate" is more general.  Not celebrating one specific bad pirate.

I think my daughter would have liked the colors and patterns on the plates and decorations.  I actually think the colors and designs are pretty... it could be nice as a general princess theme party. 

That's weird. 

My first thought was that it would be a party with a lot of different types of cake. A crazy cake-tasting party...but a Marie Antoinette party for children? That's a bit odd. I suppose they're thinking of the romanticism of Versailles and French fashion and food of the time...just like people think of pirates romantically. In that case, just the title is tacky. Stop trying to connect Marie Antoinette to the bday party. That line reminds people that she was executed which is NOT the best party theme for kids. 

I think the decorations would be way prettier if they took off the le them eat cake slogan

I agree with this. Most kids wouldn't get the reference, I think (&, sadly, lots of adults wouldn't either, I"m guessing). If they were wanting to capture the over-the-top fashion/frilliness & extravagance of the court of that period, they could have come up w/ a different name & it would have been fine & still cute. W/ the wording... no, not so cute.

SparklyUnicorn has a good point too. There are plenty of 'violence' themed party ideas (pirates, various ones imitating popular shooter video games, etc...). So, maybe not outside of the norm....

ETA: It may seem outside the bounds (the Titanic stuff too), but otoh, comedians & others often are the ones pointing the fingers & laughing at some horrific events (Mel Brooks & the Spanish Inquisition comes to mind), perhaps as a way to wake us up to the horror & our shared humanity by reminding us of these things. So, I don't necessarily consider certain topics/events taboo from mockery or being in the spotlight, but I'm not sure a child's birthday party is the place for that. :huh:

It's not trying to bring humor at the sad event while acknowledging it was sad though, it's turning it into a cute pastel party for little girls. It just seems close to how people talk about they'd loooooove to live in the 20s, 30s, whenever. Nope, doubt you would. Terrible, awful time for civil rights. But do you appreciate the aesthetic? Yes, and that's fine. I like the aesthetic. The color scheme, big dresses, etc. are adorable and I'm much older than the girl this party is intended for. I just think it's just the basing it around a fake quote related to that topic that's in poor taste.

I've never liked pirate themed parties either. Or pirate themed anything, really. I always remember an episode of bar rescue where this bar was pirate themed and all the adults dressed up as pirates. They were constantly talking about how everyone really wants to be a pirate. Um, no? Did ever you go to history class?

I suspect the people who came up with it had heard the phrase "Let them eat cake", but weren't actually familiar with the historical context. Which you'd think they would have come across in creating the party, but that's the most reasonable explanation I can think of - "Let them eat cake" is kind of an adorable kid's party theme, taken out of context.

I've been told that "cake" actually referred to the drippings left in the oven after making bread, so the suggestion was still insensitive, but not actually as nonsensically unrealistic as suggesting they eat a dessert if they can't afford bread.

Y'all should check out the link and look at the birthday girl. 

The people who came up with that must be seriously uneducated in history.  

sadly far too common.  (I would imagine those buying it are too.)

I suspect the people who came up with it had heard the phrase "Let them eat cake", but weren't actually familiar with the historical context. Which you'd think they would have come across in creating the party, but that's the most reasonable explanation I can think of - "Let them eat cake" is kind of an adorable kid's party theme, taken out of context.

I've been told that "cake" actually referred to the drippings left in the oven after making bread, so the suggestion was still insensitive, but not actually as nonsensically unrealistic as suggesting they eat a dessert if they can't afford bread.

this is what I was also taught.   it can be used as a lesson on the evolution and variance of languge.   when I teach a lesson using middle english sources, I will also look up words and give the meaning they had *then*.  sometimes the meaning is very different to today.  (though olde english is the worst! for changes.)

oh - I don't consider it as insentive as I do downright callous.

I looked through some of their boys party theme stuff. . . . . I'd toss almost half of what I saw as unacceptable.   I'd love a good mythbusters party theme . . . I can see boys having LOTS of fun with that  =D 

I have an "only positive costumes" rule for Halloween and one year my DS really wanted to be a pirate. So we ended up compromising by making him a privateer and his sisters Spanish ladies. It's a very fine line between privateer and pirate but the former did have blessing from the crown for the plundering.

I was about to click "meh" but then I followed the link.  Tacky.  Even if it wasn't historically weird and/or insensitive.

On the one hand, I'm like, it's a stupid kid party.  I do all kinds of dumb things for my kids' parties and it's all in good fun.  And on the other hand, I'm like, we're really in the bread and circus period, I guess.  It's like we're in the capital celebrating the Hunger Games.  Not to read too much into it or anything.  :tongue_smilie:

Y'all should check out the link and look at the birthday girl. 

The people who came up with that must be seriously uneducated in history.  

At first I thought that big pink stand up thing was a guillotine!  That would make for a very interesting party!

Oh my. How inappropriate and morbid. As one article that came up said, after quoting someone who shrugged that it's been a hundred years so who cares, "On the 100th anniversary of 9/11, will the world see the same level of sentiment? Will there be inflatable Twin Towers for people to jump off?"

Titanic slide is a bit off...but you know, the French royalty really did ask to be made into cake.

Dickens comes to mind.  

"Of his pleasures, general and particular, Monseigneur had the other truly noble idea, that the world was made for them. The text of his order (altered from the original by only a pronoun, which is not much) ran: “The earth and the fulness thereof are mine, saith Monseigneur.â€

My 5 year old LOVES pirates, and for his birthday requested and recieved pirate playombile sets as gifts. The only thing he knows about pirates are The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything. So I let him play pirates which mostly to him means saying "arrrr!" And sword fighting.

Let them eat Cake party is historically ignorant and I would not purchase that product.

Voted "Other"

I think it is horrendously tacky and stupid, BUT I'm guessing the people who designed the line have no more of a clue than the people who will buy it, so I'm going to assume the best and not hold their idiocy against them. I wouldn't stay home from a best buddy's party over it.

But if I were a truly depraved person, I might buy the stuff on clearance for a Cards Against Humanity party. :leaving: