Menu

Does anyone use 2 math curriculums?

mom2agang

I just don't feel 1 math curriculum is enough for my children. I really love the Abeka math program. I like the drill and kill of the facts. I want my kids to master the facts. But then I want them to get a good understanding of the concept and MUS does a wonderful job.So I want to mix both. How do you use both math programs without overloading your child with math?

Lots of folks here use two programs, some simultaneously and some use one program (for ex: MUS) as an intro, and then use another program (for ex: I think it's 8FillTheHeart who used MUS alg and/or geometry before going to another program).

Check people's signatures. It may be the minority of folks here who only use one program!

We've been using multiple math curricula for years.  It depends on the age, but it's easier to use multiple curricula when they're younger.  Something like a page of Miquon only takes a few minutes.  But, when they hit algebra, I think it's really hard to add a second program to the mix, unless you have a review day set aside and are using the second program as a review.  My 12 yro usually uses a couple of different programs, but she started Algebra 1 this year and we are done.  There is no way she could do two algebra programs unless she worked through one at a time.  After she finishes this book, I think I'm going to buy another algebra 1 text and just do a review of things for a couple of months. 

Here's how my 3rd grader used multiple programs this past year:

Monday-Wednesday: one page of Miquon for review, one lesson of Life of Fred

Thursday: Beast Academy - she just works on it as long as she feels like it

My Kindergartener this past year:

Monday - one Singapore lesson

Tuesday - one Miquon

Wednesday - one Singapore lesson

Thursday - Life of Fred

My 5th grader this past year:

Monday - two pages from geometry workbook, Drawing Geometry

Tuesday - arithmetic review sheet, Blueprint for Geometry

Wednesday - two pages from geometry workbook, Drawing Geometry

Thursday - arithmetic review sheet, Blueprint for Geometry

It seems like he did something else, too...but I can't think of what it was.  Edited to add:  Sheesh, I remember.  He did part of the geometry section in AOPS Prealgebra.  He worked on that once a week.  See, my brain is fried from all the math curricula.  

If you like it and it works time wise, keep using both. If you want to simplify, you could do MUS with "mad minute" facts practice. There are a lot of math facts worksheet generators out there, find one that has the customization you want and use that a few times a week for drilling facts along with MUS to teach concepts.

Yep, I think it's really common to use more than one program.  My rising third grader does the combo of Beast Academy & Math Mammoth.  My 6th grader used a ridiculously broad combination of things this year for PreAlgebra, but it's been fantastic.  I'm hoping that we'll use just one thing for Algebra, but that will be a first around here.

I think more people use 2 than 1.  

This year I am using Mammoth Math and Key to Fractions and Key to Decimals.  

Next year I plan on Teaching Textbooks  pre-algebra and Key to Series.  Probably Zaccaro word problems as well.  

I have several math programs, mainly because I have older kids who used them, and we use them all.  When one gets stale, we try another one.  Right now, we put Saxon Algebra 1/2 aside and ds is using TT Algebra 1.  After 27 lessons of TT, we're now using Life of Fred Beginning Algebra.  It works for ds since it solidifies concepts for him.  I also have Algebra for Dummies that has extra problems in it.  

I am using 4 different math programs with my 1st grader.  :huh:  But we still only do math for about 30 minutes a day.

Monday: 4 or 5 pages of Miquon and 1 chapter of Life of Fred

Tuesday-Friday: One lesson from Math in Focus and one lesson of MEP

My 4th grader is kind of using two. She does 2 chapters of Life of Fred on Monday and one Math in Focus lesson plus one page of IP and one page of CWP Tuesday-Friday.

My youngest does MM 4pages a day and at the end of a unit or two he'll take a break and do BA. Fridays are LOF

My dd does MM until she finishes a grade of it and then does BA for a couple months (very casually). Again, LOF on Fridays

My oldest ds does MM and used to Saxon but we dropped it. He needs another program though because he gets stuck in seeing things one way and two programs really challenges him to see things from different directions. I'm looking at a few different things. He might do BA too, but that really would be review for him as it's a couple grades behind where he is.He does LOF on Fridays as well.

I have twins both in what would be considered 1st grade.  One uses Singapore/Singapore CWP/Miquon and the other Math Mammoth/Miquon/Singapore CWP.  They each spend no more than 20-30 minutes a day on math...some days less depending on the lesson.

It's definitely common for people to use more than one in the younger years, but if we were pressed for time, I would still feel comfortable only using Singapore or Math Mammoth alone as they both are great programs in my opinion.  The kids just both love Miquon as an addition.

I say go for it and just see how it works out.  You can always adjust.  :)

Yes we use multiple curricula, because different math programs approach things differently.

We have mostly been working our way through LoF elementary/intermediate.  But my son, who is 3rd grade is not ready to push on into intermediate and pre-algebra, so he is detouring this year into Beast Academy mixed with various games, logic books and other things of interest.  Next year will probably be more of the same, though I may have him work through some Math Mammoth, too.

My daughter who is 5th sailed through LoF intermediate, but stalled out in Fractions.  There just isn't enough straightforward explanation and practice for her to get it.  So I have been using Math Mammoth to explain and practice, then she moves onward in LoF (because she loves the story so much).  I suspect as we head toward Pre-Algebra next year, we will continue with LoF for the fun factor, but also use some other programs: Math Mammoth as long as it lasts, maybe Jousting Armadillos, maybe AoPS pre-algebra.....

My youngest uses MIF to learn the big conceptual pieces, but not every day. We shoot for about 3x week but reinforce with games. He does Horizons about every day, which is behind MIF in operations but ahead in time, money, geometry, fractions, measurement, etc. He learns concepts quickly so this has worked out beautifully for him.

My 6th grader used one program all year. I feel it was very thorough. I have supplements (Math Minutes every day have been tremendously helpful!) but only use one complete program. This summer I want to try Jousting Armadillos for a change of pace, but I wouldn't do it alongside a full program. This kid needs more time to cement concepts.

We used just one for nearly 6 years with my oldest (Singapore).  This year I added Life of Fred across all my kids with good results.  Singapore gives a rock solid foundation I have found, but it isn't much fun IMHO.  Fred gives them the fun factor. 

My 6 year old uses Singapore and LOF - both daily if I am not working, only one a day if I am working and then I switch between them - I just adjust and we do two sessions of 15-20min - if one curricula takes longer then I shorten the second curriculum that day. We do also use MEP and Horizons on occassion but this is as review or for a break between main sections of Singapore.

We usually do Primary Mathematics four days a week and Mathematical Reasoning on Fridays. We've also been reading a chapter out of Life of Fred each evening because DD wants to. I'm not sure that Mathematical Reasoning or Life of Fred add much from an academic standpoint, but DD really enjoys them, and they definitely encourage her love of learning.

I don't use two full complete curriculums, but I pull resources from lots, because they all approach things differently and I want to see my kids develop number sense and see the fun in math, not just remember a set formula.

For elementary the plan includes mathematical reasoning as a spine, some singapore supplements (CWP, math express). Life of fred, beast academy, and some extras like that pre algebra balance game I can't remember the name of and two plus two is not five and challenge math. Oh and some CTC books. Miquon was originally in the list but we began playing with it this year and its just not a good fit for us.

Lest you imagine children at the table crying over 3 hour math sessions, they would do either MR or BA as a core lesson, then ONE of the supplements a day. Not sure yet wether to rotate the supps or focus on one or two at a time. But they absolutely wouldn't do all of these things every day. And most homeschool math is actually really quick unless your child struggles.

How do you use both math programs without overloading your child with math?

I'd like to see more answers to this question, if possible.

Currently, we use 2 math programs, but only one at a time--MUS first, reviewing with Singapore. I was going to suggest that you do something similar on the elementary level: start with MUS, which will only take 1/3 to 1/2 of the year, and then review with ABeka double-time. I'm not sure how to combine them well, since ABeka is divided into 170 days. Perhaps do ABeka as scheduled, but add MUS for one lesson per week? (and not worry too much about timing of introduction of concepts)

We use Singapore as our spine.  We do 30 minutes of that daily first thing in the AM.  We also have "afternoon math" which involves 10-20 minutes of another math program.  Until a few weeks ago, it was Horizons, daily, one lesson a day.  Then she started getting really interested in the ideas in Beast Academy - but she doesn't really have the problem solving patience for it yet so we are stalled on the polyominoes activities in the first chapter of 3A.  This week she has been asking for Life of Fred so we have been doing that.  Afternoon math is very relaxed, very laid back, sitting on the floor together and laughing.  She loves math and I think she enjoys seeing the different ideas from all the different programs.

So we use multiple math programs but we have stopped using 2 full programs for the time being and we seem to be sort of exploring concepts with Beast and Life of Fred for a while.  I think Horizons is a fantastic program, but she was ready to do something different for a while.  :)  I think we will come back to it in a few months when she's ready for another change.

We do MUS 3 days a week and then supplement with Kumon workbooks and CC math fact memorization on other days. We just finished Beta and I have wondered about supplementing bc sometimes MUS seems 'light' to me but he does very well with it and his understanding of math concepts seems to be excellent. I just wonder if there are gaps I'm unaware of that might show up down the road.

I don't think most people do two programs entirely. If you do addition with regrouping in mm and the child gets it well then skip that section or don't teach just practice when you get to it in the other program. This will be my first year doing it, next year with mm and beast, so I have no experience in this. I'm just trying to piece this answer together too. 

I read the other day that you can do BEAST and when you hit a spot that doesn't make sense, needs more practice, or just need a break then switch to mm and do a section there. Like mm also covers multiplication so if he doesn't get it with beast then switch to mm. If you need a break from beast then switch to mm and do mix review sections or one of the chapters that beast and MM don't overlap, like time or money.

I don't know how that works exactly with the curriculum s you are using but mm and beast are pretty easy to line up like this and jump back and forth. Also beast doesn't have tests so at the end of the year for records you can take the MM test. I just worry about not finishing both curriculums by the end of the year. I guess it doesn't matter because my goal is to teach the child not the curricula but my personality wants a nice ending point. I'm trying to figure out at least a half way point so I know we are not behind. I guess just go with the child, that's what I've had to do so far. 

Sorry about the rambling. I've just been trying to figure this out myself lately. I'm nervous about the scheduling. I ran out of math this year.

We currently do Singapore and CTC, and are doing everything in each.  CTC we do 2-3 pages each day, and they are usually review of what we have already done in Singapore.  We do both of those Monday-Thursday, and then Friday we do one chapter/level of Zacarro math.  We attempted to do LOF on Fridays but it didn't work out well for us.

So far we've been alternating books of Singapore and Miquon. (He's seen MUS Primer and Alpha and played Decimal Street, but that's just afternoon entertainment.) When we run out of Miquon, probably not until the middle of second grade, I plan to replace it with Beast Academy.

We don't do math for very long on any given day, but it's ~225 days a year, so he's "ahead" for now anyway.

DD used Essentials K and MUS Primer. Both programs are easy, so I could hand her a couple of sheets each and she'd do them. We also played math games to support learning in lieu of a math sheet.

DS used MUS Pre-Algebra, HOE, workbook supplements, and a standard pre-algebra classroom text. When there was an issue, I surgically used the materials to support MUS. I teach by amount of time spent, not volume of work completed.

One of my kids is doing two full programs, but one is being done at half pace, and both are being used ahead of grade level, so if it slows us down that's ok. :)

He's using CLE as his main day-to-day program. We do that first thing in the morning. It provides plenty of drill and a good spiral review. I've recently cut down on the fact practice because he'd gotten so solid on the facts using this program. I will probably start cutting down on reviews soon as well - maybe using every other lesson's review section. We'll see. We're on a brief between-years break right now. ;)

In the afternoon, we use Beast Academy, just 2 practice pages per day. Since BA is FUN, my son doesn't mind doing extra math. I usually have him do this after lunch.

I'd like to see more answers to this question, if possible.

We do math year round. We also skip sections that are redundant for my child. Going at a faster pace keeps DD engaged. Doing 20 pages of subtraction with borrowing feels tedious and DD really drags her feet even though she understands why/how to do it. Learning new concepts is what keeps math alive for us. Once a concept is mastered we move on and revisit if necessary. If one topic is too difficult (money was hard for DD) we shelf it until I feel she is ready to pick it up again. 

For us it isn't really the math that is overwhelming, the cost of buying curriculum and supplements are weighing me down!