Menu

Spider or tick?

peachskittles

That is not a tick. It has the wrong number of legs and body sections. Ticks have 6 legs and three body sections. Whatever that is has eight legs and two body sections.

Uh, nope.  Ticks are arachnids and have eight legs and two body sections.

However, I don't think that's a tick.  For one thing, where are the scary mouthparts?  I've also never seen one with such big forelimbs.  Ticks are all about the mouth, not the legs...  Mystery arachnid...

This is what ticks look like here

tiny-tick-300x199.jpg

But this is what they look like close up.

deer_tick_adult_female_med.png

Based on the body shape, that thing doesn't look like any tick I've ever seen, but it isn't shaped like a typical spider either.  

Agreeing with the other posters - whatever it is, it must be stomped.  Immediately.

Uh, nope. Ticks are arachnids and have eight legs and two body sections.

However, I don't think that's a tick. For one thing, where are the scary mouthparts? I've also never seen one with such big forelimbs. Ticks are all about the mouth, not the legs... Mystery arachnid...

That's really cool. You learn something new everyday. Thanks.

It looks like a ballus chalybeius spider which is a type of jumping spider. Unless you live in Europe it's not that particular type. There are over 500 types of jumping spiders and my vote it is one of them. My skin is crawling from looking at all of those pictures.

That is not a tick. It has the wrong number of legs and body sections. Ticks have 6 legs and three body sections. Whatever that is has eight legs and two body sections.

Ticks definitely have eight legs and two body sections.  

I'm no tick expert, but I was googling to see if I could find a tick that looks exactly like the one in the original post, and all of the ticks look nearly exactly like what's in that picture.  I just can't find one with the exact same coloring.  

Well, it has been agreed that it is either a really funky looking tick or a crab spider.  She has two ways to test what it is.  My SO's option : "Ok...theory testing time. Put it on your arm...if it bites and hangs on, it's a tick...if it bites and runs away...it's a spider...disclose your results so we know"  My option : "Tease the spider for easy recognition. Gently poke it with a twig; if it widens its legs and moves sideways, it is a crab spider. (They will also wave their “tentacles†in the same manner water crabs do.)"  Now to see if she kept it and which option she goes with (I'm going to assume not the first option LOL)...

Between this and the tick I just found on my head I am not going to sleep tonight.

Well now I have to ask - did this thread give you the idea to do a tick check? Is it possible that if you hadn't read this thread, that little bloodsucker might have been happily undisturbed for the night?

Albeto's husband is an entomologist, I think.   I'm hoping she sees this and shows him to get this settled.

I just feel all creepy crawly as it stands.  

As luck would have it, I spent the evening enjoying nice food and nice wine with a colony of entomologists. ^_^

Dh suggests it's a crab spider, from the family Thomisidae, but it's not fully mature so identifying the species is difficult. 

Amateur entemologist here; looks like a lovely crab spider! Where did you find it?

They are very interesting spiders that do not build webs:http://www.crabspider.org/

She lives in Colorado, if I remember correctly.  I'm going to assume she found it in her house and took it outside for its photo op before squishing the poor thing.  (If it was a tick, I would not be mourning its loss.)  My SO's entire family has an extreme fear of spiders, my SO included.  I'm one of the rare ones in the family that is catch and release (even if the lil bugger runs across my computer monitor or drops right down in front of my face or my personal favorite, runs across my bed while I'm watching a late night show causing me to jump (I have a fear of swallowing a spider in my sleep)).

(I have a fear of swallowing a spider in my sleep).

My husband came back from a collecting trip in Costa Rica with a huge lump on his ankle. It didn't hurt, it was just... there. He fully expected (wanted) it to be a cology of parasitic nematodes (worms) incubating in his ankle. And I was so tired and exhausted from taking care of my kids that I actually slept in the same bed until he saw the doctor. It was either that or sleep on the couch. He wasn't going to, and he's too big for me to have pulled him there. So I laid my head down and forced myself not to think of it. 

Turned out there was nothing exciting at all. He'd twisted his ankle and it healed with a ganglion of nerves on the side. 

My husband came back from a collecting trip in Costa Rica with a huge lump on his ankle. It didn't hurt, it was just... there. He fully expected (wanted) it to be a cology of parasitic nematodes (worms) incubating in his ankle. And I was so tired and exhausted from taking care of my kids that I actually slept in the same bed until he saw the doctor. It was either that or sleep on the couch. He wasn't going to, and he's too big for me to have pulled him there. So I laid my head down and forced myself not to think of it.

Turned out there was nothing exciting at all. He'd twisted his ankle and it healed with a ganglion of nerves on the side.

My hat is off to you Albeto! You are a stronger woman than I! The thought would have killed me, and I would have demnded dh sleep on the couch or get a lovely room for me at the Westin in Southfield. Thanks to this thread I now know to meet him outside uon his return, mke him strip, check him over completely for any sign of bugs, parasites, and bites then proceed into the house and bio hazard level 5 decontamination shower.

Donning my bio hazard suit before going outside.....

My hat is off to you Albeto! You are a stronger woman than I! The thought would have killed me, and I would have demnded dh sleep on the couch or get a lovely room for me at the Westin in Southfield. Thanks to this thread I now know to meet him outside uon his return, mke him strip, check him over completely for any sign of bugs, parasites, and bites then proceed into the house and bio hazard level 5 decontamination shower.

Donning my bio hazard suit before going outside.....

I did demand he sleep on the couch. He said no, shut his eyes, and was out like a light! The choice was mine to move or sleep, and I confess, exhaustion got the best of me!   :laugh: