Menu

Mean mom/Nice mom tales anyone?

Tiramisu

Mean mom: A child in my family had to dry herself after her shower with two small hand towels. She did have bath towels but she used them without drying them or putting them in the laundry. Sadly, I had to lock the rest of the family towels up because she was happily using them all and leaving them to stink on her bedroom floor and leaving everyone else without towels, especially dh who had no towels to shower before work on too many occasions. Drastic measures were called for. I also lock unhealthy snack food in my closet and car to prevent any one child from eating up all the snacks in one sitting and depriving the others of a treat. (The refrigerator and cabinet have a good amount of decent, healthy food, including fresh fruits and vegetables so I am not starving anyone and everyone is of normal weight, in case you're wondering if my methods are excessive.)

Nice mom: I am taking everyone out for a new Easter outfit. We don't usually have money for this so even though this is a custom for many people, we've never done it. But my kids are growing up and sometimes it hits me that we haven't been able to do many special things. I hope it will be a nice memory for them. They are so excited. Then they will each have an outfit to wear to church for the rest of the spring and summer.

What is my daughter doing at your house? Every towel we own ends up on her bed or floor w/ in 24 hours of washing/folding/putting away. And hand towels wouldn't be an option, all of mine seem to have disappeared. Well, I think I might have 4 left. I used to have 2 large stacks. I can't imagine what they have done with those!

Mean mom:  I made my kids do a pile of school work yesterday and play outside for an hour before they could watch any DVDs.  Because they putzed with the school work, they only got to watch 1 episode of Liberty's Kids before we had to leave for dinner.  :(

Nice mom:  I took my kids to the grocery store after dinner and let them pick all the Easter candy and a couple of stuffed toys, and bought them some shower caps so they can shower at camp without having to do their hair.  Then we came home and stayed up late watching Kung Fu.  :)

Nice mom:  I showed my kids how to do their first load of laundry (mostly their dolls and bears).  :)

Mean mom:  I made them fold and put away the 6 other items that were included in the laundry load.  :(

Life is hard all over, kids....

You mean mother. Didn't you get the memo that home schooled children don't really do schoolwork?

Mine seem to feel like schoolwork is distracting them from the real business of playing.  No, schoolwork is your job and playing is the treat you get IF you finish in a timely manner!

Mean mom- tantrumy daughter had 3 big ones this week, lost everything in her room but furniture and clothes and all privileges until she can earn them back.

Mean mom- morning chores, having to do their own laundry

Nice mom- takes them to the beach regularly, bought dd a new dress with matching headband, gives them (now only ods) an hour of game time every night.

I'm not a mom, but I have a few mean dad/nice dad tales.

Mean Dad: Made the boys abort bathing, wrap a towel around their waist, bag their clothes and get in the car. Dropped them off at my moms house in nothing but their towels because they were goofing around so hard that they missed both my warnings and I was going to be late.

Nice Dad: let my 7yo cut his hair all by himself (did not come out as horrible as I'd feared.) Let my boys stay up as late as they want to. Actually is going to buy them strange foods that they want to eat (even though they gross me out!).

Mean mom: A child in my family had to dry herself after her shower with two small hand towels. She did have bath towels but she used them without drying them or putting them in the laundry. Sadly, I had to lock the rest of the family towels up because she was happily using them all and leaving them to stink on her bedroom floor and leaving everyone else without towels, especially dh who had no towels to shower before work on too many occasions. Drastic measures were called for. I also lock unhealthy snack food in my closet and car to prevent any one child from eating up all the snacks in one sitting and depriving the others of a treat. (The refrigerator and cabinet have a good amount of decent, healthy food, including fresh fruits and vegetables so I am not starving anyone and everyone is of normal weight, in case you're wondering if my methods are excessive.)

Nice mom: I am taking everyone out for a new Easter outfit. We don't usually have money for this so even though this is a custom for many people, we've never done it. But my kids are growing up and sometimes it hits me that we haven't been able to do many special things. I hope it will be a nice memory for them. They are so excited. Then they will each have an outfit to wear to church for the rest of the spring and summer.

Eh, you're not so mean. I had the same habit as a tween. My dad grounded me from towels and I had to drip-dry in the bathroom after my shower every day for a week.

:D

Mean mom: sometimes at the grocery store I drive the cart close enough to the shelves to scrape offs clingers-on. Mumbling, "Arrgh! I can't turn the cart!"

Nice mom: I let them get the free bakery cookie.

HAHAHAH!!! I did this a few times and would always feel like a horrible parent because I thought that I was the ONLY one. LOL, you don't know how much better I feel to read this.

You did it!  Great! 

Wow.  You make it all the way to 8pm?  I'm impressed!

Yes, I went ahead and but the bullet and let him do it. All the talk of "learning how" and such was sucking the fun out of it for him, I figured "Oh, what the hell, its just hair." and Buddies been beaming ever since. Pal also got a few good laughs in over his brothers ridiculous hair. I say his self confidence has gained a bit, really owning his hair. I was still nervous about it but after what happened at the library I am so glad that I let him.

We went to the library and this older kid was like: "What happened with your haircut?"

Buddy was all like: "I cut it all by myself because my dad said that I could!" The kid called over his siblings and started telling about how Buddy got to cut his own hair. Apparently their little sister had cut her hair and been taken to a salon to have it fixed. The other boy said he'd be afraid to cut his own hair lest he look stupid.

Buddy, normally shy and sensitive grinned big: "You can't look stupid. You either are or you aren't but its got nothing to do with how you look."

(that was something I'd tried to teach him when he was going to PS and being picked on. AFAIK he never told the PS kids who were saying that he looked stupid that line.)

It was nice to see my milder, quieter child look confident, comfortable and utterly in control during such a situation.

Mean mom: I often surprise dd15 by cleaning her room and doing all of her laundry when she is at school every couple of weeks. She loves this surprise, so it is fun to do for her.  The last two times I have cleaned an done her laundry, she didn't put her clean clothes away and left them piled on her chair and in a basket in her room.  I warned her that if she didn't spend the 10 minutes putting away her clothes next time (she is super picky about how certain clothes are put away, so I don't do those particular clothes  for her) I wasn't going to clean her room for a very long time........Well it has now been two months and she has a growing pile of  dirty clothes that need special care, that are just gathering more friends.   She is wearing clothes that I haven't seen in a while, so I know she is running out of her favorites.  She has done a random load her or there, but not everything, so parts of outfits are dirty, parts are clean.  She has done her own laundry for several years, so she knows how to do it....she just doesn't want to take the time to 'lay flat to dry' or separate the various loads.

Nice mom: one of her boyfriend's friends declared me the 'coolest mom ever' because I treated dd and 3 friends to fast food at midnight on Saturday, picked them up from longboarding when it started raining, and listen to post core music with them.  I spend a lot of time and money with/on dd and her friends so I think that is probably my most 'nice' trait. 

Tap, I can relate to the laundry issues. I used to do all the laundry and put dd's folded stack in her room for her to put away. One day she complained about needing new clothes and accused me of not having done the laundry for over 3 weeks. We went up to her room only to find that all the folded laundry had toppled to the floor (due to the stack being so high), had been trampled by dd and our pets, and was a mess. I told her that not for a very long time would I even consider doing any of her laundry again. She was on her own. Now she very sporadically does a large mixed load. I have no idea what she is wearing, whether it is clean, or whether she has what she wants. So I am sure that makes me a Very Bad Mom.

Nice Mom: I am helping dd deep clean her room, switch all her winter and summer clothes over, and will help her repaint and redecorate it this summer.