Menu

How do you feel about "required" standarized testing?

I send DS to a 1-day-a-week enrichment program through our school district where they do art, music, PE, library, etc.  It's been great program. A homeschooling friend of mine said she wouldn't send her kids there because they "required" the AIMS testing - AZ's standardized test in 3-8, 10th grades.  (I think it's more "strongly encouraged" than "required" however I think the program gets their funding based on students taking the test.)  Arizona doesn't require anything from homeschooling parents except an affidavit of intent to homeschool, so the scores aren't required for homeschooled students in general.

Between that and hearing about how stressed out students are over AIMS (because their teachers make such a big deal out of it) I'm wondering if I ought to have more an opinion about these tests. I know where DS is at without standarized tests. I do think that older kids should probably have practice taking tests like that, but I'm not sure I see the value in a week's worth of testing every year in the elementary grades. 

I'm just wondering how other parents feel about these standarized tests. Do you skip them? Do you have your kids take them so YOU know where they are at? Are they required in your state?

(That being said, DS did take the Stanford test for 2nd grade this week. It's much shorter than AIMS. He pitched a fit about it because he said I already know how he's doing and that it would be too easy-- both valid arguments-- but I made him go anyway. We won't get the results until September.)

So, just to be clear, this is a one day a week enrichment program that will require your son to take a standardized test?

Hmmm.

Never heard of that. 

Are you sure it's required of the one day a week people, and not just the "goes to school 5 days a week public school" people?

Note--we did do the testing option for homeschoolers in VA. We used CAT for high school (cake) and ITBS for dd. No test prep as I knew they'd do fine. Didn't have a problem with it, personally. But I would in your case, b/c it's so unneeded. 

ETA: Oh, DUH, now I see what you are saying--your son isn't required to, but your friend wouldn't send her kiddo to the school for "regular" school b/c they required testing.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with it; what I don't particularly like are our state tests, aptly named, SOLs. While I don't mind there being a program of study, having the test in May means the rest of the year is just a waste of time--all the content comes in before the tests, and after is just movies, games, and very, very light schooling. They've even added days to the END of school now for snow make-up--WASTE of time. I'm not even making dd go the make up days. 

I send DS to a 1-day-a-week enrichment program through our school district where they do art, music, PE, library, etc.  It's been great program. A homeschooling friend of mine said she wouldn't send her kids there because they "required" the <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona" s_instrument_to_measure_standards"="">AIMS testing - AZ's standardized test in 3-8, 10th grades.  (I think it's more "strongly encouraged" than "required" however I think the program gets their funding based on students taking the test.)  Arizona doesn't require anything from homeschooling parents except an affidavit of intent to homeschool, so the scores aren't required for homeschooled students in general.

Between that and hearing about how stressed out students are over AIMS (because their teachers make such a big deal out of it) I'm wondering if I ought to have more an opinion about these tests. I know where DS is at without standarized tests. I do think that older kids should probably have practice taking tests like that, but I'm not sure I see the value in a week's worth of testing every year in the elementary grades. 

I'm just wondering how other parents feel about these standarized tests. Do you skip them? Do you have your kids take them so YOU know where they are at? Are they required in your state?

(That being said, DS did take the Stanford test for 2nd grade this week. It's much shorter than AIMS. He pitched a fit about it because he said I already know how he's doing and that it would be too easy-- both valid arguments-- but I made him go anyway. We won't get the results until September.)

ITA with your friend. I wouldn't do it, either. And I think the enrichment program is a covert way for the school district to get homeschooled children tested. Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

So, just to be clear, this is a one day a week enrichment program that will require your son to take a standardized test?

Hmmm.

Never heard of that. 

Until they called me to sign him up for the 2nd day of testing (in addition to his normal day this week), I had no idea he would be doing standarized testing at all. When the lady called I asked if it was required. She said, "well, it's strongly encouraged."  I am assuming that AIMS is also only "strongly encouraged."  I don't know what they would do if you refused the tests. Maybe not allow him to enroll the next year? 

ITA with your friend. I wouldn't do it, either. And I think the enrichment program is a covert way for the school district to get homeschooled children tested. Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

She is against the testing for political reasons. And I've wondered the same thing about it all being a way to get the homeschooled kids tested.  Personally, I don't feel like the tests are going to help me any as his teacher, so I don't really see the point. Especially if it's just a week of stress for the kids. 

I'm just trying to decide how strongly I should feel about these tests. I don't know that the school would do anything if I didn't make DS take the AIMS tests next year. I imagine that the worst that could happen is they wouldn't let him enroll the following year. 

Otherwise, I feel like it's been a great enrichment program. It takes the pressure off of me to do art, which DS loves and I'm just too tired to try and fit in. :)

ETA: Before starting this thread I search for threads about standardized testing and it seemed to me like some parents opted for some sort of standardized testing on their own, even if it wasn't required by the schools for homeschooling.  So I guess I'm also curious about how homeschooling parents feel about standarized tests in general. I just only recently discovered I'm supposed to have an opinion about this and I have no idea. :)

For private/independent HSers I'm against states requiring testing unless they also require the same tests for private classroom-based schools. No taxpayer funding is involved, so I don't believe the government has any right to require testing.

For students enrolled in charter or district independent study programs, I don't have a problem with testing because the family is gaining something (curricula or stipends) funded by the taxpayers in exchange for the testing.

In OR, home schoolers are required to test at the end of 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th grades. I'm fine with this. We can use one of several different tests; tests have to be administered by an official tester, not a parent, and it's good to make sure kids are getting a basic education.

I'm not fine with the idea of public schools testing home school students who participate in elective public school programs. My dd is a home school student who takes band and science at the local public school. Two years in a row they pulled her out of band to give her a reading test (she probably reads at a college level). The results mean nothing to the school--they don't teach her English skills, so her results can tell them nothing about their program. The testing is not beneficial to me--I don't get the results, I know she reads fine, and I still have to do the home school testing at the required time. Both years I told the assistant principle to not pull her out of the class I have her there for to give her a test they are not supposed to give her. I think they finally figured it out--she was not tested this year!

I totally and completely ignore it. 

However, I live in a no mandated testing for homeschoolers state. But even if I had to have them take a test or two? I would completely ignore it. That's just who I am. (Meaning I would make them take it, and I would ignore the test prep)

Washington State used to subsidize homeschooling as long as you jumped through a nice stack of hoops and did not purchase any religious curriculum with the state funds (you could use religious curriculum, just not the state money to purchase). Anyway, one of the hoops was annual state testing. We wanted to use the extra couple grand a year, so we tested.

My son had horrific test anxiety (throwing up, nose bleeds, horror movie style meltdowns, ran away from home, etc). He has worked his way out of it over the last five years. It still isn't comfy to test, but he no longer sweats, cries, or flips out.) If we had waited, we would never have known. He wants to go to top tier college. Right or wrong, tests are something he needs to have some serious skill at. My brother's test anxiety got him out of a lot of testing in high school. He always opted for some other assessment. My parents thought they were doing the right thing and encouraged him to self advocate in that way. But, there is no other assessment for the SAT. His scores knocked him completely out of the running for much other than a community college transfer degree. He isn't dumb, just can't test without panicking. I don't want my son in that place.

I'm an advocate of having kids tested only because tests are not going away. It gives the kid practice at the test when the stakes are still pretty darn low. It isn't a college entrance exam or some major presentation for a job. If they freak out and bomb it, no biggie. Most importantly, you can actively work with your kid so they don't bomb the really important make-it-or-break-it tests.

I think standardized testing can be over done (annually seems a bit much), but where we are it is in 4th and 7th in schools and for people using umbrella schools.  There are lots of people who get upset about it and hate it both inside regular schools and in the "homeschooling" community.  I think it is appropriate to assess student learning.  

I think the information is useful for understanding how schools are doing, and I have no problem with my children being a part of it when they are of age.  I am disgusted by the teachers who try to get kids and families to opt out - this is only 2 weeks of a child's school career, and teachers should be evaluated in some way.  Since it isn't annual, it isn't direct "you did this" evaluation, but the effectiveness of the different schools and districts is pretty clear in the numbers (and the numbers do take into account variables that affect learning like family$$ and other things).

FWIW, I recently had one of my kids evaluated because I had some concerns about some things - I would have had no idea what a struggle writing was for my child relative to peers if I hadn't done this testing.  Kids in school get tested and compared all the time - I think for homeschoolers to do it every once in a while can provide useful, helpful information regarding the individual child (since the evaluation of the school itself isn't really as useful or relevant when considering homeschooling umbrella schools).

I live in a state that requires yearly testing (but doesn't tell which one you have to use).  Honestly, I would do it even if it wasn't required.  We do the Stanford Achievement Test, and I administer it at home.  My kids actually like it.  They think it's "different" from what we usually do and fun.  While I definitely know their strengths and weaknesses already, I really do find it valuable to get the results and see how they compare to their peers.  I think it keeps me somewhat objective.  I also like that they know how to take tests and are not scared of them either down the line for SAT/ACT and such or if we ended up sending them to school and they were required there.  For me, it's really not been a big deal.  They've also done quite well on them which has been an encouragement as well.

I don't like it. I lose a week because of it. I wish I could shift gears from testing in the morning to our regular school day in the afternoon, but for some reason I can't. 

For that reason, the boys love it, because they get to goof off all afternoon. :laugh:

I always enjoyed testing weeks as a kid. I am good at taking tests. Testing weeks were basically an opportunity to spend most of the day day-dreaming and not having homework assignments. :). And since I got my best marks on standardized tests they also stroked my ego.

But as an adult I realize standardized testing has limited usefulness. Yes it has some use, but it is only a very small part of assessing a child's learning.

As a homeschooler I may choose to have my kids take standardized tests sometime. We have 2 local private schools who welcome homeschoolers to their testing days. But I am glad am I am in a state where this is a choice. I can decide when they are ready.

I think my oldest could easily have test anxiety issues, which could render such tests ineffective. However as pointed out above we will likely do standardized testing at some point in order to reduce test anxiety for college entrance exams. But at this young age I think standardized tests would be more harmful than helpful. There is no reason to make her feel like she is lacking because she can't get all the answers. I can tell you pretty much exactly where she is for math and reading without the test, ahead in one area, a little behind in the other.

On the other hand My almost 5y/o could probably go take the 1st grade exams today and do just fine and have fun doing it. Which actually might make standardized testing more of a waste of time for her since she possibly won't need practice for later in life, and she is likely to always be ahead of her age group.

I live in a state with no testing requirement but we have our kids take the SAT every year as a tool to definitively track their progress.  However, if someone said I HAD to test my children I'd dig in my heels at that.  We test for our own information, not so some school can use my kid to get funding.  The atmosphere is different too.  We don't "teach to the test" all year at the expense of useful learning and our kids aren't completely stressed out by the testing either.  They actually enjoy getting to to go the testing site, pack a snack in lunchboxes, fill in all those little bubbles.  The first year she went, Dd was very upset she didn't get to sit "at a real desk."  

Voluntary testing as a choice of parents I'm cool with.  Mandatory testing by some government agency I'm against.

What data is collected on your child, who gets that data, and do you mind if they have it? What is the cultural attitude concerning the test in this enrichment program? Is it a big deal or do half of them skip it or is it totally mandatory and they just don't like to say that? These are the questions.

Those are good questions. He has only been in the program since January and due to my husband's military absence, I haven't been able to get to the parent meetings. I obviously need to do some more digging.

I live in a state that requires yearly testing (but doesn't tell which one you have to use).  Honestly, I would do it even if it wasn't required.  We do the Stanford Achievement Test, and I administer it at home.  My kids actually like it.  They think it's "different" from what we usually do and fun.  While I definitely know their strengths and weaknesses already, I really do find it valuable to get the results and see how they compare to their peers.  I think it keeps me somewhat objective.  I also like that they know how to take tests and are not scared of them either down the line for SAT/ACT and such or if we ended up sending them to school and they were required there.  For me, it's really not been a big deal.  They've also done quite well on them which has been an encouragement as well.

I probably lean this way. If my child is going to spend the time doing testing, I would at least like it to be helpful to ME. And I can see the benefit of getting test practice.

I don't like it. I lose a week because of it. I wish I could shift gears from testing in the morning to our regular school day in the afternoon, but for some reason I can't. 

For that reason, the boys love it, because they get to goof off all afternoon. :laugh:

The AIMS test does last the better part of a week. Which means for my child, he'd be going in every day during a week instead of his normal one day. I think it's the length of the test that can be stressful to kids.

I liked the tests as a child because I was really good at them. :)  DS is working above grade level. And while the tests will show that he knows 2nd grade material, it doesn't tell me where he is academically. So I'm inclined to feel that it's just a giant waste of time for me and him.

This is the first year we've faced the dilemma.  DS1 was in public school last year and took the FCAT and did extremely well.  He was super proud of his achievement, so actually asked me to take it again this year.  If I do, it makes my life easier w/the State as well…so we're going ahead with it.  Unfortunately, I have to drive 45 minutes each day for four days (next week) for him to take the test at the main county homeschooling office.  Other than that, I don't have an opinion.  I told him that he might not get 5s this year because we really haven't done much test prep, but he thinks he'll do great.

I know he's learned a lot as he's a very curious, self-motivated learner, so I'm not really that worried regardless of his performance.  I regularly did horrible on standardized reading comprehension tests, but was always an excellent reader…and went to great schools…and performed well in undergrad and grad school.  So I know that they don't always give an accurate picture.

Voluntary testing as a choice of parents I'm cool with.  Mandatory testing by some government agency I'm against.

This.

Though as mentioned earlier, I'm fine with students who are enrolled in charter schools or district ISP's having to take the tests in exchange for the stipends or materials they receive from their schools.

What data is collected on your child, who gets that data, and do you mind if they have it? What is the cultural attitude concerning the test in this enrichment program? Is it a big deal or do half of them skip it or is it totally mandatory and they just don't like to say that? These are the questions.

This.  I'm not against standardized testing just because it's standardized testing.  My older kids did standardized testing through our homeschool PSP annually beginning in 6th grade.  It was good practice for them and overall a good experience.  HOWEVER, only we and our PSP received the test results.  They were for our information (albeit limited) and so the large PSP could try their best to make sure their clients were actually homeschooling their children.  I would NOT be interested in having my children tested by (or their scores reported to) the government.  I don't think it's any of their business ;)

ETA that I'm referring to the testing of private homeschoolers.  I'm not against the government testing students whose parents voluntarily use government services.

She is against the testing for political reasons. And I've wondered the same thing about it all being a way to get the homeschooled kids tested.  Personally, I don't feel like the tests are going to help me any as his teacher, so I don't really see the point. Especially if it's just a week of stress for the kids. 

I'm just trying to decide how strongly I should feel about these tests. I don't know that the school would do anything if I didn't make DS take the AIMS tests next year. I imagine that the worst that could happen is they wouldn't let him enroll the following year. 

Otherwise, I feel like it's been a great enrichment program. It takes the pressure off of me to do art, which DS loves and I'm just too tired to try and fit in. :)

ETA: Before starting this thread I search for threads about standardized testing and it seemed to me like some parents opted for some sort of standardized testing on their own, even if it wasn't required by the schools for homeschooling.  So I guess I'm also curious about how homeschooling parents feel about standarized tests in general. I just only recently discovered I'm supposed to have an opinion about this and I have no idea. :)

If your ds is just taking enrichment classes, and you have had to comply with your state's homeschool requirements, then I would advise you not to let him be tested. It is *never* wise to comply with any sort of requirements (even if they're couched in terms that make them sound like they're a "good idea") that are not required by the homeschool laws in your state.

I'm not opposed to having kids take *a* standardized test each year (and homeschoolers in my state have to administer a test anyway, but not send the scores in). There is nothing inherently wrong with a standardized test if used correctly. But I am strongly opposed to making the school year all about the test, which is what has been happening in PS.

If I lived in a state that did not require homeschoolers to test but sent my kid to PS for non-core courses, he would not be doing a test through them (even if I decided to test him at home for my own purposes). You do not get to claim my kid's progress (for $) if you didn't teach him the subjects on the test, nor require him to come for extra days/times to do something other than what I signed him up for.

:iagree: I would get the answers to these questions.

As for my personal opinion on mandated testing?  I'm totally against it for HSer's, the state doesn't need to know.  They don't pay for my child's education so they have no right to tell me how to educate my child.  Luckily I live in a state that agrees with me.  If I felt the need to evaluate my child's progress then I would test him, probably using the same test that the schools use. This would be for me only.  In your situation, I would find out if the "strongly encouraged" means: no test= no re-enrollment.  Then make my decision based on that and the answers to the above questions.  

I live in Utah and our state just passed a law that schools and teachers are not penalized for students not taking the tests. That means that everyone can opt out of the tests. People who homeschool traditionally are never required to test, but those who do so through a state funded charter were required to test. Now even those students can opt out.

I am against testing for elementary students. A pp said that if students are going to go to college they need to learn how to test. I chuckled because this is the same response I get when I tell people that one of the reasons some people homeschool is to avoid bullying.

Ohio requires either an approved standardized test or a portfolio evaluation. I was homeschooled and we always did the testing. It was no big deal, and we got plenty of practice for the ACT, which we all did well on. I intend to do standardized testing with my girls, I would do it even if it wasn't required, because it is good practice for the ACT, SAT, and any other tests they have to take eventually. We never did any test prep whatsoever, it was truly just evaluation.

Personally, I think it would be much more of a pain to do a portfolio evaluation. You have to get representative samples together of everything you have done, and (I believe) get interviewed. It all seems more subjective also, based on the evaluator.

I wasn't required to have the children tested, but I used to administer the Texas TAKS tests every year in order to please the grandparents.  When the children were 7 and 11 (the appropriate ages), I had them take the UK SAT, just so that I could see how they were doing.  We kept the whole thing low key - only doing enough preparation for them to understand how the test papers worked.  We only did tests in English and maths, as other subjects would not have covered what we had studied.

When the boys finally decided that they wanted to go to school, they had to take entrance exams.  Both had experience of tests, and it wasn't a strange or alarming experience for them.

L

:lol:

Can I just point out it is perfectly acceptable for you to remain ambivalent about testing. Just because it is a hot button for many people, doesn't mean it has to be one for you. 

I see the good, if you find out information you might want to know. I see the inconvenience, a whole week :blink:. I see the privacy issues, are you ok with the information the schools will keep and pass on? 

I have done standardized testing, although it is never required here. I have done it privately, for my own information, not through public school and not sharing the information with them. I do think it was good practice for the high stakes standardized tests my kids are now taking as high schoolers. However, I am just naturally rebellious enough that "highly encouraged" would instantly mean "not required" and I would refuse just because I could. It is just my nature. If I wanted testing, I'd do it on my own. I wouldn't do a whole week of it, and I'd choose the test that I thought would be most informational for me.

I think if you took the taxpayer funds or services, you should take the test.

I believe anyone accepting taxpayer dollars in any amount for education should be subject to standardized testing to account to the taxpayers that those funds have been spent on an educational situation that is succeeding. Schools and parents that can't show yearly improvement in their students shouldn't be given taxpayer funds.  Failed teachers and administrations paid for by taxpayers should be fired and replaced by those who have been able to show yearly improvements in their students. Those who are successful should also be the people writing curriculum, setting standards (in schools and in government policy) and training teachers.

I'm willing to negotiate which test and such, but I think government should be held accountable for how it's spending taxdollars-if it's paying into something that's not working, it needs to find something that is working and fund that.  Only the content covered in the classroom should be on the test.  Kids should be tested at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year. Of course the teachers should be teaching to the test-the test should cover essential skills and important content in reading, writing and math-otherwise the test is a ridiculous waste of time.

:lol:

Can I just point out it is perfectly acceptable for you to remain ambivalent about testing. Just because it is a hot button for many people, doesn't mean it has to be one for you. 

I see the good, if you find out information you might want to know. I see the inconvenience, a whole week :blink:. I see the privacy issues, are you ok with the information the schools will keep and pass on? 

I have done standardized testing, although it is never required here. I have done it privately, for my own information, not through public school and not sharing the information with them. I do think it was good practice for the high stakes standardized tests my kids are now taking as high schoolers. However, I am just naturally rebellious enough that "highly encouraged" would instantly mean "not required" and I would refuse just because I could. It is just my nature. If I wanted testing, I'd do it on my own. I wouldn't do a whole week of it, and I'd choose the test that I thought would be most informational for me.

This is pretty much how I'm feeling.  I've got a smidge of a rebellious streak in me too. :)  I do see some good in standarized testing in elementary school when it's done well, but I want that information to be helpful to me, as his teacher.  The way it is now, it's not really helpful to me. 

I think if you took the taxpayer funds or services, you should take the test.

I believe anyone accepting taxpayer dollars in any amount for education should be subject to standardized testing to account to the taxpayers that those funds have been spent on an educational situation that is succeeding. Schools and parents that can't show yearly improvement in their students shouldn't be given taxpayer funds.  Failed teachers and administrations paid for by taxpayers should be fired and replaced by those who have been able to show yearly improvements in their students. Those who are successful should also be the people writing curriculum, setting standards (in schools and in government policy) and training teachers.

I'm willing to negotiate which test and such, but I think government should be held accountable for how it's spending taxdollars-if it's paying into something that's not working, it needs to find something that is working and fund that.  Only the content covered in the classroom should be on the test.  Kids should be tested at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year. Of course the teachers should be teaching to the test-the test should cover essential skills and important content in reading, writing and math-otherwise the test is a ridiculous waste of time.

I might agree with this more if they had told me upfront that testing was required in order to participate in the program. I looked at the website again, and there's no mention of testing between required. Also, the funds the school has spent on my child haven't gone towards teaching anything that is going to be on the test, so it's not going to show if that particular educational situation is succeeding.

Also, as a former teacher and the wife of a former teacher, I also don't agree with tying test scores to teachers. But that's a whole 'nother thread. ;)

This is pretty much how I'm feeling.  I've got a smidge of a rebellious streak in me too. :)  I do see some good in standarized testing in elementary school when it's done well, but I want that information to be helpful to me, as his teacher.  The way it is now, it's not really helpful to me. 

I might agree with this more if they had told me upfront that testing was required in order to participate in the program. I looked at the website again, and there's no mention of testing between required. Also, the funds the school has spent on my child haven't gone towards teaching anything that is going to be on the test, so it's not going to show if that particular educational situation is succeeding.

Also, as a former teacher and the wife of a former teacher, I also don't agree with tying test scores to teachers. But that's a whole 'nother thread. ;)

I completely agree that it should have been stated upfront on the website and when you signed up. I'm all about full disclosure and transparency.

I don't believe the taxpayers should be funding non-essentials.  If it's not reading, writing, math (and I have to add, now that I think about it) history, science and PE, it's not essential.  Everything else should be done at the parents' expense (but divided equally between the parents who sign up-the more who sign up, the cheaper it is) or through private donations for kids whose families are poor.

While enrichment activities are nice, they are simply not essential and the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for or subsidize someone else's extras. If someone wants to use government facilities and staff for instruction in extras, they should have to pay the full, actual cost in tuition that includes: paying the teacher, paying the cost of using the building, paying for supplies and materials, etc.  That way the taxpayer isn't carrying the financial burden at all for non-essentials.

I completely agree that it should have been stated upfront on the website and when you signed up. I'm all about full disclosure and transparency.

I don't believe the taxpayers should be funding non-essentials.  If it's not reading, writing, math (and I have to add, now that I think about it) history, science and PE, it's not essential.  Everything else should be done at the parents' expense (but divided equally between the parents who sign up-the more who sign up, the cheaper it is) or through private donations for kids whose families are poor.

While enrichment activities are nice, they are simply not essential and the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for or subsidize someone else's extras. If someone wants to use government facilities and staff for instruction in extras, they should have to pay the full, actual cost in tuition that includes: paying the teacher, paying the cost of using the building, paying for supplies and materials, etc.  That way the taxpayer isn't carrying the financial burden at all for non-essentials.

Are you saying that taxpayers shouldn't be paying for the time and materials spent on non-essential subjects in public schools either? Homeschooling families don't get to opt out of paying the taxes that fund our public schools, and then they pay for their child's homeschooling materials on top of that.