Menu

What Grade Did you Teach Pre-Algebra / Algebra?

Outliers here, but I do make sure to go at the students speed.

My older started aops intro algebra at 9 but it took him almost 3 years to finish. The following year he took 4 math classes.

My younger started preA at 9 but we are going wide and deep and will spend two full years with multiple resources. Basically I'm doing with this child what Lori reccomended. Elementary math was easy for him but I am seeing trouble brewing for the move to algebra. I homeschool so I can tailor the program to the child.

One year per course has clearly not worked for us.

Ruth in NZ

If the program wasn't already integrated like Singapore DM or NEM, MEP, etc. then what I would do is do M/W algebra, T/TH geometry, and Fridays assorted topics like probability & statistics, number theory, etc. Or you could alternate chapter-by-chapter if you prefer.

Thank you! This is really helpful! 

I would be using multiple resources, so I appreciate the freedom that this gives me. I know DS (and I) both like variety as well. These ideas may work better for him.

Resources for the future (for anyone who's interested or anyone this may help):

Dolciani Pre-Algebra

Foerster's Algebra I using Math Without Borders with Home Study Companion DVD

Geometry: A Guided Inquiry using Math Without Borders with Home Study Companion DVD and The Geometer's Sketchpad

Foerster's Algebra and Trigonometry: Functions and Applications using MWB with Home Study Companion DVD

If we progress further, Foerster's Precalculus with Trigonometry and you guessed it, with MWB with Home Companion DVD if we still like it by then ha

Wow. Very interesting thread. I consider my son math bright.....doing algebra 1 now as an 8th grader. I didn't realize he was far behind.

He is absolutely not behind, and you can keep on considering him math bright! I think my strongest overall student (who is also very math bright) is probably going to be doing algebra in 8th grade. There are so many disparities among children (personality, learning style, interest/focus on other subjects, well-roundedness vs single-mindedness, drive for the subject, parental pressure, etc.). It can be apples and oranges. 

Wow. Very interesting thread. I consider my son math bright.....doing algebra 1 now as an 8th grader. I didn't realize he was far behind.

Those type thread attracts outliers. I won't worry about it. In most PS, algebra in 8th is accelerated.

Scarlett -- totally agreeing with alte veste and jennynd -- for Algebra 1, 9th is standard, 8th advanced/honors in all the schools around here. Only 2 rare homeschoolers I've seen locally attempting Algebra 1 in grade 6 -- one "hit the wall" and had to slow down and take 1.5 to 2 years on Algebra 1, the other family plans to attempt next year (their DD is 5th right now).

The MAJORITY of colleges are great with 4 math credits (up through Pre-Calc), only the small percent of competitive and top tier schools want to see another credit beyond, and usually because the student is going for a STEM career.

If your math-bright DS keeps going at this rate, he can do:

9th = Geometry

10th =  Alg. 2

11th = Pre-Calc.

12th Calculus

And as a result, your DS will be able to apply pretty much anywhere he wants (provided he has all his other credits in line). :) You and DS are running a great race -- don't get distracted by glancing around and comparing with what the tiny percentage of students at the extreme end of the bell curve are doing! ;)

Warmest regards, Lori D.

I almost didnt post because I thought it might discourage others. The point I was trying to make (and apparently did not) is that you need to work with where your child is at, and not get hung up with their age when starting this or that. My older boy went from double speed to half speed in a single month. But that is what *he* needed. I firmly believe that especially for math, you need to work at an appropriate speed for *your* child. It makes no sense to compare your student to others or even to work on the time frame dictated by a curriculum writer. Take the time it needs to learn it right!

Ruth in NZ

. I hadn't considered aligning the texts to create an integrated approach, but I might just take this on this summer in case he decides to do them both concurrently.

I have both books. Chapters 1-13 are doable after the prealgebra book.  Or you could just let him finish whatever pages you want him to get done in the day from the algebra book and then let him run free with the geometry book.

Doing algebra and geometry in the same day is possible depending on your kid's interest.

How would one teach integrated math? I got integrated math as well when I was growing up.

I just blend algebra and geometry in the same day. I don't put math into neat compartments.  The proofs for algebra and the proofs for geometry are all using the same logical thinking skills to me.  I blend trigonometry in the same way.

This is why I didn't respond to the question directly. Age is really irrelevant. What is far more important is their strength of understanding. 8th grade is not behind.

I didn't mean my posts to be critical. I thought my kid was moving quickly, but that seems to be the norm, at least among the posters on this thread. Not having a math background myself, my experience is limited.

I find it reassuring that Sagg appears to be right on target.

Ftr, I mentioned my concerns about him not being ready because of his learning disability, not necessarily because of his age. 

Our schools do this:

6th grade: 6th grade math

7th grade: 7th grade math with a minority doing algebra

8th grade: prealgebra, algebra or advanced algebra

There is also a very small fraction of each class, maybe 2% that is way ahead. Elementary students go over to middle school, and ms goes over to high school, but the number is tiny.

This is why I didn't respond to the question directly. Age is really irrelevant. What is far more important is their strength of understanding. 8th grade is not behind.

I was being a little tongue in cheek. I don't think he is behind. I think I am on a board that is intellectually advanced and sometimes you all scare me. Then I come back to earth and realize my son is getting twice the education he would be getting in public school.

Glad I don't live in CA though. For oh so many reasons.

After looking at the pages for several area school districts, all of which have "excellent" ratings, I see that algebra in 8th is accelerated and algebra in 9th is standard. I don't really see it changing too much from that. Most kids simply aren't ready younger, and if school districts try to force it, they will end up with a generation of kids who can't really do math. I am comfortable with my dd's pre-a in 6th-7th/algebra in 7th-8th and with the probability of my ds doing pre-a in 8th/algebra in 9th. My oldest dd got a $34,000 scholarship to a private liberal arts college with only algebra II.

No, that's not behind at all. That is the standard college prep sequence in my district.

ETA: And the algebra 1 book used in my district (Prentice Hall CA Algebra 1) is much weaker than many of the algebra 1 books popular with HSers. So a HS student using one of those harder books in 9th might look behind on paper compared to the kids in my district but he/she would actually be getting a better foundation for higher math.

I will start algebra next year with my DS. He'll be in 7th grade. I took algebra in 7th grade over 20yrs ago. I was in the first cohort to do that in my middle school but now it is the norm for the advanced math kids in that district. Algebra in 8th grade is the norm for everyone else. My DS has been dying to do Algebra for years and I think he will do quite well because he'll be interested. He is really bored with 6th grade math. We won't do any pre-Algebra type of course. I really don't see the point in it. I never took it, which probably explains why I don't see the need for it. I have no idea what pre-Algebra even means. Is it really easy Algebra? Is it more of 6th and 5th grade math? It has always been a mystery to me.

I have no idea what pre-Algebra even means. Is it really easy Algebra? Is it more of 6th and 5th grade math? It has always been a mystery to me.

Pre-algebra is a fancy name given to a course aimed at repeating/strengthening the prerequisites for algebra: arithmetic with positive and negative integers and fractions, including decimals and percent. So yes, more of 5th/6th grade math - because really, once a student has learned arithmetic with positive integers, it does not take three years to teach him arithmetic with negative integers and fractions. Some prealgebra courses include some very easy introductory algebra.

If your student is proficient in arithmetic, there is no need for a "pre-algebra" course.

Pre-algebra is a fancy name given to a course aimed at repeating/strengthening the prerequisites for algebra: arithmetic with positive and negative integers and fractions, including decimals and percent. So yes, more of 5th/6th grade math - because really, once a student has learned arithmetic with positive integers, it does not take three years to teach him arithmetic with negative integers and fractions. Some prealgebra courses include some very easy introductory algebra.

If your student is proficient in arithmetic, there is no need for a "pre-algebra" course.

I would differ with you a bit here. It really depends on which Pre-A one chooses. Some are definitely review. Some are not. My son used TabletClass Pre-A and it was definitely more Algebra than "review". By one-third of the way into the course, they are graphing linear equations, solving systems, solving polynomials and getting an intro to functions. So I think it really depends on the course you choose for your child. I own a few pre-algebra books and there is definitely a wide variety of definitions.

Some of our Flemish textbook have one chapter of this, one chapter of that.

Other publishers make 2 books for one year so one does 2 days of this and 2 days of that.

The curriculum in Germany has units from different areas of math. I have translated the curriculum in my state to give you some examples:

6th grade:

1. Arithmetic with fractions - 34 hours of class

2. Mathematical relationships in the real world (proportionality, graphing, some stats) - 24 hours of class

3. Triangles and quadrilaterals (congruency theorems, proofs, triangle inequality, special lines, construction) - 30 hours of class

4. Prisms - 10 hours of class

and a selection from the following topics: dynamical geometry, geometry puzzles, number theory - 8 hours of class each

7th grade:

1. Plane geometry (more triangle theorems and formal proofs) - 24 hours

2. Rational number arithmetic review, linear equations with one variable - 56 hours

3. Prisms and pyramids - construction, nets, projections, compound objects - 20 hours

4. Graphing and intro to statistical interpretation - 4 hours

and a selection from the following topics: spreadsheet calculations, drawing to scale, Platonic solids - 8 hours each

8th grade:

1. Linear equations and inequalities, binomial formulas - 24 hours

2. Probability and statistics - 24 hours

3. Functions and systems of linear equations, graphing of equations and solution of systems by graphing - 32 hours

4. geometric similarity - 20 hours

and a selection from: programming of mathematical algorithms, linear optimization, simulations with random numbers,

Singapore Discovering Math 7 and Horizons Pre-Algebra have topics that are beyond normal 5th & 6th grade math. Exponents, roots, rate & speed problems, compound interest, permutations & combinations, probability & statistics, simple trigonometry, and a gentle intro to algebra & H.S. geometry (including the Pythagorean theorem).

So I would say that pre-algebra can be a review of middle school math or it can be a true preview of high school math depending on which program you choose.

I have outliers in the other direction.  They will be starting prealg in 10th next fall, they still have elementary concepts being worked on until then that they have struggled with. They will do 1 semester of prealg and then will start working through our provincial math curriculum.  Our math is integrated right through 12th so at that point they will be doing alg, geom and trig all in 10th as well.

Youngest son did pre-algebra in 5th grade along with his sister who was in 8th grade.

They are currently doing geometry together in 7th and 10th grade.

DD will finish a typical high school math curriculum Alg 1, 2, Geometry, Pre-Calc while DS will hit pre-calc in 9th. 

Same family - totally different kids.  

DD never could have handled it in grade 5 and DS would have been bored out of his mind if I forced him to wait longer.

I vote for whenever they are ready because I don't think it's related to age.  I have kids all over the place.  

DD did AoPS prealgebra in 6th.  

My DD twins will take prealgebra in 7th or 8th depending on how things go in the next year.  I'd rather they wait another year if necessary and be sure they have it down.

DS has started playing around with AoPS this year and continues to work with his tutor on whatever topics he finds interesting, he's in 3rd.  His tutor uses NEM1 next, but I'm hoping to talk her into DM7 so it's easier for me.  We'll stick with integrated math for him right now.  I'm waiting for the wall with this kiddo, we just haven't hit it yet.

Prealgebra is offered in 7th and 8th in our school district, no exceptions.