Menu

What sort of work do you do during the summer?

lgliser

I know it's only February :)  

My kids went to public school last year for kindergarten.  During the following summer we did one of those big workbooks from Sam's Club - a bridge from K to 1st.  

I'm all about a summer break, but I would still like to do some things so we don't have to do a ton of review at the start of 2nd grade.  

I feel like it would be silly to do one of those big workbooks again now that I am in control of their curriculum.  So, do you go ahead and just casually work on next fall's curriculum?  That's sort of what I'm picturing.  My kids will throw a fit if we have full school days... and I don't want that either.  Like I said, I believe in a summer break!  But maybe just a lesson in math here, a First Language Lesson there....

Or maybe that's not such a good idea?  Maybe it's better to be more consistent.  Maybe just doing a lesson once or twice a week won't solidify it enough in their heads?

What do you do?

In summer, we do reading along with a little math and writing. We don't use the same curricula as during the school year. I am very relaxed over summer, but I think it is good to have the kids doing a little bit so they don't forget all they learned.

For reading I make a reading chart for them to record 2000 pages. I choose some of the books (including one narrative history overview), and they choose some of the books with my approval (so that they are not at too easy of a reading level). We give them a reward when they complete the 2000 pages.

For math, I have them do worksheets now and then.

For writing, I usually have them do a journal once per week. This summer we may try a Latin roots vocabulary program, keeping a journal of new words.

We do a math supplement to reinforce what was learned during the year - like LOF or MM.  This summer we will work on decimals and percents.

DD also gets a reading list she must complete over the summer.  I've been working on this recently.  Since we will be doing TOG 3 next year, so far I've included the following:

• The Story of Napoleon
  • American History Stories, Volume III
  • American History Stories, Volume IV
  • The Red Indian Fairy Book

I'll probably throw in a "fun" classic that isn't scheduled in TOG as well (if I can find one - TOG has a lot of them through the years).  Last year she had 10 books to read, but they were shorter than these, so I'll keep the list smaller.

In addition, DD is expected to complete a summer project.  During past summers she has done a 120 sq. ft. flower garden and attended a floral class at the local florist shop (science) and built a complete full-size, cedar-log bed frame from cedar harvested from our woods with her father (math).  Last year's project was learning about wilderness survival.  We thought this would be a good idea since DD likes to go rabbit hunting and explore the woods.  She was taught how to use a compass, light a fire in any conditions, build a make-shift shelter from materials around her, purify water, gather food, and other safety protocols, like staying put and making signals.  Her father also showed her how to put together a small survival bag to carry with her at all times when she went out in the woods.  Things in the bag include: fire-starting materials (matches, Vaseline cotton balls, & flint stick), space blanket, cordage, whistle compass, & knife.  All of this stuff fits into a camo fanny pack which goes around her waist and weighs very little. She's been told to add granola bars or some type of energy food and her canteen before leaving the house).  At this point, it's rare for her to go out without us. However, she'll be ready when she does.

This summer, her project will be to plan and build a little camp out in the middle of our small section of woods (we have 50 acres) where we can go overnight camping together, and where she can eventually go out by herself.  We built the platform this past summer.  DD and her father will build the walls and loft over the summer.  A rocket stove will be added for warmth in colder months.  DD's actually quite excited about this project and can't wait for summer.

We do a math supplement to reinforce what was learned during the year - like LOF or MM.  This summer we will work on decimals and percents.

DD also gets a reading list she must complete over the summer.  I've been working on this recently.  Since we will be doing TOG 3 next year, so far I've included the following:

• The Story of Napoleon
  • American History Stories, Volume III
  • American History Stories, Volume IV
  • The Red Indian Fairy Book

I'll probably throw in a "fun" classic that isn't scheduled in TOG as well (if I can find one - TOG has a lot of them through the years).  Last year she had 10 books to read, but they were shorter than these, so I'll keep the list smaller.

In addition, DD is expected to complete a summer project.  During past summers she has done a 120 sq. ft. flower garden and attended a floral class at the local florist shop (science) and built a complete full-size, cedar-log bed frame from cedar harvested from our woods with her father (math).  Last year's project was learning about wilderness survival.  We thought this would be a good idea since DD likes to go rabbit hunting and explore the woods.  She was taught how to use a compass, light a fire in any conditions, build a make-shift shelter from materials around her, purify water, gather food, and other safety protocols, like staying put and making signals.  Her father also showed her how to put together a small survival bag to carry with her at all times when she went out in the woods.  Things in the bag include: fire-starting materials (matches, Vaseline cotton balls, & flint stick), space blanket, cordage, whistle compass, & knife.  All of this stuff fits into a camo fanny pack which goes around her waist and weighs very little. She's been told to add granola bars or some type of energy food and her canteen before leaving the house).  At this point, it's rare for her to go out without us. However, she'll be ready when she does.

This summer, her project will be to plan and build a little camp out in the middle of our small section of woods (we have 50 acres) where we can go overnight camping together, and where she can eventually go out by herself.  We built the platform this past summer.  DD and her father will build the walls and loft over the summer.  A rocket stove will be added for warmth in colder months.  DD's actually quite excited about this project and can't wait for summer.

This is our first "homeschool" summer, so I'm just kicking around ideas at this point. Probably some math review, and I like the idea of a reading list too. LOVE the summer project idea, but my dd is the opposite of outdoorsy. Anybody do something similar but less nature-y? I'd love some ideas.

Between 1st and 2nd I would keep math practice regular, have them read to you, and read aloud tons. I'd probably indiscreetly add something for handwriting practice too. Those cheap workbooks are good for that at least.

If you're concerned about the grammar book, you can discuss nouns and verbs during reading time.

We take a real break. We visit museums, they read a lot of books, and they play with their friends. I usually sign them up for a camp or two in their areas of interest, but I don't personally plan any educational activities for them; I only plan trips to the pool and beach. I find that my kids do a great job of handling the downtime in ways that are educational.

I try to plan a lot of museum visits and such over the summer. Science is timed so that I can tie the gardening, farming, local wildlife, and such into it. Last year we did some playing with survival skills with my oldest, this year we are going to dig a little deeper with botany with all three. We back off on math, but keep it moving. Usually it ends up being 2-3 days a week with math. Grammar is about the same as math. It just keeps puttering through. We tend to do school during the hottest time in the afternoon during the summer and spend the mornings and evenings outside playing and working or heading off on adventures.

In the spring, we tend to spend many (many!) days at the local state park/lake, basking in the sun. :D

That means, when it is hot and sticky and humid mid-summer, we buckle back down and either 1) finish what is leftover from our gallivanting time or 2) get a head-start on next year... so that we can fool around in the Fall. :D

This is our first "homeschool" summer, so I'm just kicking around ideas at this point. Probably some math review, and I like the idea of a reading list too. LOVE the summer project idea, but my dd is the opposite of outdoorsy. Anybody do something similar but less nature-y? I'd love some ideas.

How about picking a science or history topic and having her scrapbook about it?  You may want to have her learn how to do a tapestry, or pottery making, or some other craft that might take some research, learning, then application.  If she's into computers, how about designing a web page or blog? She could collect different leaves or flowers, press or dry them and make pictures with the dried results or make a book labeling each leaf and flower. She may like to attend a workshop in the area to learn a particular skill.  We were extremely lucky that DD had the gardening project the same year that the florist had her local workshop.  DD loved it, and she made some beautiful projects using flowers.

The sky's the limit. You just need to find something she may be interested in and expand from there.  Talk with her about it and see what she has an interest in learning. As a summer project, I firmly believe it should be more interest led and fun.

We mostly school year-round, so we do heavy work in the summer, at least in July and August (along with tennis lessons several mornings a week -- those days aren't schoolwork days), but we also take off or do light work (math, reading, maybe history or languages) on days when we have a chance to go swimming or hang out with grandparents. We take off completely, except for reading, from Memorial Day until July 1, because it's nice then, so we'd rather be outside and otherwise playing all day, but when it gets nasty hot in July and August, we save the outdoor time for the late afternoon and evening, so we might as well do schoolwork during the day and get a jump on our year.

We tried to school last summer but got so busy with playdates, sleepovers, camping, trips to the pool and state parks, gardening, an impromptu vacation to the ocean, etc that we really didn't get much of anything done.

This year I'm going to be more realistic with my expectations. Ds will continue with piano lessons, I'll sign them both up for a round or two of swim lessons, we'll do the summer reading program at the library, squeeze in some good audiobooks in the car and we'll probably *have* to finish up third grade math since I don't think we'll get done by May. Otherwise, however, summer is a time for my kids to spend with friends who they don't get to see as much during the school year.

My son will be at camp M-F from 9-3:30, but I plan to do LOF and CWP to keep math fresh, finish the Progressive Phonics readers, and continue with RLTL. We will also read living math, history, and science books, along with kidlit. The camp has weeks of science, Spanish, Lego, and musical theatre, along with the usual summer fun.

I send my children away in the summer lol.  Oldest 2 are hoping to be among the ones chosen for cadet training camp this summer.  As well I am looking at my budget to see if I can enroll them in hunter's education camp(week long actual camp where they study for and take the test but also learn how to actually hunt, and earn their minor firearms possession license).  They go to their dad's for a week, and beyond that if they are home this summer they are expected to get jobs. Both end up going to at least 1 sleep away camp.  Last year ds15 was home other than his 1 week camp and he worked pretty much fulltime, dd14 got a scholarship unexpectedly to a 2 week long horse riding camp so she did that, her week at her dad's and then got a fulltime summer nanny job.

Ds10 has spent 2 weeks at summer school the last 2 summers in the city while staying with gramma (his choice), he goes to language arts in the morning, then gramma picks him up they have lunch and he goes to swimming lessons.  He is already talking about this summer's schedule.  He usually stays at gramma's a couple more weeks and helps poppa at work, or goes to gramma's work or travels with aunty. when he comes home I usually have him enrolled in at least 1 sleep away camp.

Last summer dd6 went away for the first time last summer.  She spent 2 weeks on the road travelling with aunty/uncle/cousin, then 2 weeks at gramma's and did swimming lessons. 

We wrap up our summer with a week long family camp.  That usually takes us to the middle of August.  They get a week to hang out at home, reconnect with friends etc while I prepare for the new year and we start school back up the last week of August. 

I used to want to do some work over the summers, but have found this works better.  They get so much out of camps, staying elsewhere, working, etc.  I actually see a huge growth in them over those summers, moreso I think than I would see if he continued schooling right through.  And frankly I just need the break, working all the time, schooling 4 kids with learning issues etc is exhausting.  In the summer the daycare closes, so I get rid of my kids and am down to 1 job, it's wonderful.

We basically keep up with everything but on a much smaller scale. Math maybe 2 or 3 times a week for 20 minutes, science one day a week, history 1 or 2 days a week, reading every day, piano for only 20 minutes instead of 30. Sometimes I'll alternate a day of math/science and a day of English/history. Usually only 4 days a week at most. I usually try to use summer to catch up on things I feel we're behind on (learning math facts), or do a "fun" version of a subject (nature walks and fun experiments for science). I also usually have a special summer subject or project that's different from the rest of the year. Last summer we had a health and safety focus (something we never seem to get to during the rest of the year); the year before we did a summer Olympics unit study. This year we're going to learn about our state - history, geography, points of interest, etc. I'll have each of the kids do a map and maybe keep a journal and we'll read books about our state and events that happened here, visit historical sites, state parks and places of interest. We live in a small state so we should be able to visit places in each county. I think it will be a lot of fun and the kids won't realize they're doing school half the time. I try to keep some of the structure that we (I) need to stay sane, while at the same time making plenty of time to enjoy the great weather, the beach, and the pool. I think we average 3 days a week of school and about half the amount of time per day.

I have a ds who will be between 1st and 2nd this summer. We are almost done with our 1st grade math, (RightStart B), when we finish, I plan to do Miquon and math fact practice (2+2 does not =5) over the summer and not start 2nd grade math (not sure if we will continue with RightStart C or switch to Singapore) until the fall. We will do math and have him read to me every day. Hopefully other years, we'll do more than that, but this year we will have a new baby and after this winter being sooooo awful, I plan on spending a LOT of time at the beach/pool. He'll be taking swim and tennis lessons as well, so I think that will keep us busy!

We continue on with reading, math and Spanish...too much to forget otherwise. We also try to pick up some shorter, fun electives for the summer. Geography is one. I'm toying with the idea of Lentil Science. We're going to start Miquon as well. Not totally sure...that sounds like too much. We're going to take about a month's break at some point, though.

We've done a really good job of progressing and staying on schedule this year, so we will have time to start new things in about a month. We will finish up our current LA program and science by about then.

This is our first year but we plan to go right on through summer. In late summer/early fall we will go on family vacation for three weeks or so and we will do a handful of mini trips that 3-5 days but other than that we plan on business as usual. We may have slightly shorter days, but not by much. I still want to cover writing, math, reading and spelling, history and science. I think if I had homeschooled from the beginning I would be more likely to plan longer breaks for summer but we did public school till 2nd and 5th grade and I feel I have too much to catch up. 

We usually do school as usual in the summer. But it's typically lighter. Like a pp mentioned we tend to have more school free fun days in spring and fall. If it's too cold or too hot we're usually doing more inside at the table school work.

I don't stop math ever. I don't go onto the next thing, but we will do games and any supplements I have. Summer is also when we get a lot of science projects done, nature studies, and any fun extras I may have laying around that we don't get to doing the basics all year. Spring and Summer is when various topics in life science make more sense to study. Fall and Winter is reading and writing time, Spring and Summer is science "doing stuff" time. 

Even though I do school year round, I don't just go into the "next thing" when we finish. I like finishing a book and then taking the remainder of the time to do something else. 

Still planning the coming summer, but we like the idea of year round school, with a light schedule in the summer.  I'm thinking for us, that means all of June off, two days a week of school in July, 3 days a week of school in August, and 4 days of a week Sept and on through the year, (gonna try every Friday off through the year).  On the days we do school work in the summer,  we will hopefully do a lesson in all subjects, i.e., a typical school day.  Days off, typical summer fun. 

School goes late here in Washington, so our friends won't be out of PS until the 3rd week of June. I expect to be finished with RS-B by then (ohmygoshplease), and we'll do Miquon+Dreambox all summer. We'll keep burning through LLTL because I'd like to be in level 2 by the fall, particularly because it keeps this neglectful-about-reading-aloud mom honest. If LOE Foundations D comes out, we'll begin that at a (very) relaxed pace.

For Classical Conversations, we'll be reviewing cycle 2 and getting a head-start on cycle 3 (mostly just geography) because my daughter would like to try for Memory Master next year, and she needs more than 24 weeks to master the material.

Additionally, she'll probably do a week or two of YMCA camp, along with her piano lessons.

We school year round but summer quarter is definitely lighter. We do "fun" math like dice, domino, card, or board games, Life of Fred, and math picture books from the library. We might do occasional Miquon labs.

We write something everyday. Anything. A grocery list, a letter, sticking sticky note labels to everything... And he reads me something everyday. Summer skill subjects are definitely about treading water and not losing ground, not about fining any ground. They still do though :)

We also spend a ton of time outdoors and also at the library. A full morning of activity and a big pile of new books while exhausted does wonders. I'm careful to encourage pics from both fiction and non fiction.

When the kids were really little, they would read with me daily and do some math almost every day (a worksheet, a strategy game, dice or cards, etc).

Once they were fully independent readers they tracked their reading and could trade in hours spent or books read (it varied with age) for "money" to spend on our vacation. They also continued with math. They liked to be the top readers at the public library summer program, too :D

At maybe fourth grade I phased out the reading rewards. Summer math continued---they had assignments for the week and could choose when to work. I was available at a certain time each day should a kid need/want help.

My kids played together and with friends. We started going to a pool when they were nine/seven/two. They would help me garden. They attended day camps for a few weeks through the years: Scouts, ballet, science. In the middle grades they began to attend more intensive "camps" for robotics and ballet intensives. We were able to go away on vacation for at least a week beginning when they were eight/six/one.

My olders were responsible for their summer reading and writing, keeping up with their languages, and any AP class assignments once they hit high school.

Youngest is the only one who had been homeschooled (started in fifth grade). She likes to take an AoPS class during the summer as well as three weeks of ballet intensive. Next year she will test for competitive-entry residential math programs.

Nothing formal at all. We read lots and lots, listen to audiobooks and play games. We enjoy a real break from schoolwork. Our days are filled with gardening, swimming, camping and generally playing. We have a week of VBS and the kids go to day camp for two weeks - more playing outside, plus archery, horses, crafts, ropes course etc. Those two weeks are my vacation! And school planning time. I love a relaxed, unscheduled summer and it works well for us. We return to our schoolwork refreshed and excited to begin again.

We've tried the school-lightly in the summer plan and it doesn't work well for us. We learn plenty in our relaxed summer mode.

We do 2 weeks of a complete break, 3 weeks of 2-3  half days (mainly reading and math) and then 1 week off for the kids when I do a lot of my prep work for the year. I call that our 6 week summer break and we start back up when it gets really hot. I rarely do 5 days a week of school; most of our weeks are only 4 days of school and one week of the month is usually only two days or less. I really like flexibility to enjoy nice weather off and do school when it's hot (my kids do not like the heat). I feel like my kids do better/have better attitudes when we stay close to our routine. I like having a day each week that can be for errands/fun/catch up around the house. Also this schedule helps me not worry about trying to do school on the days that I have a migraine. I just make sure we have at least the same number of days as our local school district. Often we end up with just a few more days than our schools because I like to finish all our curriculum.

I only have little ones right now. Math doesn't stop, and reading lessons don't stop, that's all. Right now our math is more of a continuum of an assortment of books, so there is no true 'beginning' or 'end' to our math, so we just continue at about half-pace, doing a standard lesson 2-3 days a week. Reading lessons 2-3 days a week if they are in the active learning to read stage, or reading to mummy 2-3 days a week if they are new readers

For an older child, I imagine I would assign a normal math lesson 2-3 times a week, so again half pace, and we would have a reading list and possibly a writing assignment or two (along the lines of 'what did you do this summer'). If we had a set math curriculum at that point I would look to buy a 'fun' math book for the summer, if we are still on this pieced together continuum we would just continue along with that. If our kids are doing a foreign language that would also continue at half pace.

I see no need to continue science/history/etc. Just the skill subjects where progress would be lost if stopped for a long period.