Menu

We just got a _____________ cat!!!

Mrs_JWM

Ignore my avatar - it has no connection withthe actual answer! :)   

84 members have voted

1. 1. How many cats does it take to make me a crazy cat lady?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five or more
    • Obligatory other

Are you asking so you can know how many you can get before you become the crazy cat lady and then stop one cat before that number? Or are you afraid you are already there?  If you have to ask chances are you are either already there or very very close. Enjoy your new kitty. Or kitty's whatever the case may be. :D

Other. I don't know, it just depends on the person. We only have one now but at one time we had 3. I knew someone who didn't feel complete unless she had 4 cats. I just met a woman who has 6--she rescued some kittens near her apartment dumpster. And I met a woman who had 22. She was in some kind of business that cleaned out abandoned houses and she found a whole bunch of cats left behind in one place. So she took them all in. She was trying to find other homes for them and was wondering out loud whether the rescue place would take them if she included some money for their care. I didn't think Crazy Cat Lady when I met these people.

But there's a car I see around town occasionally with the license plate CATLDY. And my first thought is, she's a Crazy Cat Lady. Who knows how many cats she has? Could be just a couple. But she went and announced it on her license plate! To me that kicks it up to crazy level. :laugh:

My equation for max cats before crazy is n + 1 where n is the number of bedrooms you have. So, if you have a three bedroom house, you could probably get away with four before you're truly crazy.

The equation breaks down at five bedrooms. Six cats is crazy no matter which way you look at it. ;-)

My equation for max cats before crazy is n + 1 where n is the number of bedrooms you have. So, if you have a three bedroom house, you could probably get away with four before you're truly crazy.

The equation breaks down at five bedrooms. Six cats is crazy no matter which way you look at it. ;-)

So, there it is. I am officially cat crazy! But, I used to have 10 parrots too so I guess I am a hoarder of pets. :confused1:

We had four until very recently when my oldest girl passed. They do better in pairs, and we had 2 pairs. :)

I voted more than four because I am not a crazy cat lady, lol. I'm pretty sure I'm violating the county ordinance (2 pets per acre?), but they stay indoors, get excellent food and veterinary care, and I'm not hoarding them! Come and get me, coppers! ;)

Who could resist a cat named Big Ross? I mean really. It's impossible. We need a pic.

So, can I ask how many litter boxes you have and how often you scoop? I wonder because it is so much work to me to do cat sitting visits with the 4-cat home I go to! They have four boxes and they scoop twice a day. Granted, the hard part is that the boxes are under their basement stairs, so you literally have to get down on your knees, crawl thru a little cut-out door, and then scoop...

i had 4 cats at one time and it didn't seem crazy at all. They all got along well together and I think that might have made a difference. We had 2 little boxes and I scooped twice a day. They all passed away within 2 years of one another. We'd get two more right now if it weren't for my dachshund. As much as I love him, I'm bummed that he chases the cats. We miss having cats.

I don't even have a whole cat. He belongs to my 22 year old but I'm still a crazy cat lady.

I am so not in a position to have pets and after I rehomed my last cats, I swore never again. ds told me he has other friends who could kittysit but they might not feed Grandkitty the schmancy food he likes or change the litter box as frequently as he wants or they might hurt his feelings when he chewed up their plants and knocked them into the motherboards of their computers so I said I didn't mind and now I wuvvums pwecious kitty witty sooooooo much and have such cute pictures I can hardly wait until Caturday to show them to you and.....

Well, you get the picture. Definitely obligatory other.

Enjoy your new kitty and can I see a picture?

When I was in high school, my mom went on a cat collecting spree. We had four for a long time and then within a week, two kittens arrived. Then those two kittens got pregnant at the same time and gave birth within 12 hours of each other. So for a while there, we had six adult cats plus nine kittens. It was bonkers! Luckily the kittens all found homes and the two little momma's got spayed :-).

We have 3 now and I've been toying with the idea of bringing an elderly cat home from the shelter just so it can spend it's last years in a home. However, 3 cats in our home feels like a lot of cat and 4 might push me to the crazy point. But I really want to help a senior cat. Ugh, what to do?

Enjoy your new addition! There's nothing like some kitty lovin'.

Dd1 and I want another cat but dh says no... But if someone gets us one or drops one off (hint hint) then we get to keep it. Pretty much we can't actively seek a cat but if one finds us then it's ok... Men, oh well. We had our previous cat for 10 years and we all really miss her (well except Juli, we lost Bob when I was pregnant)

So, can I ask how many litter boxes you have and how often you scoop? I wonder because it is so much work to me to do cat sitting visits with the 4-cat home I go to! They have four boxes and they scoop twice a day. Granted, the hard part is that the boxes are under their basement stairs, so you literally have to get down on your knees, crawl thru a little cut-out door, and then scoop...

We have two large litter boxes, one on each floor. If cats had access to the basement, we'd have one down there. They get scooped morning and night, sometimes more if we walk by right after one cat in particular goes because he refuses to bury anything. My recently departed girl would go bury it then whack him when she was a few years younger. I scoop more often when I'm not pregnant because one is in the laundry room, so I'll clean up that after I throw in clothes to wash. DH is not as fastidious.

Are you asking so you can know how many you can get before you become the crazy cat lady and then stop one cat before that number? Or are you afraid you are already there?  If you have to ask chances are you are either already there or very very close. Enjoy your new kitty. Or kitty's whatever the case may be. :D

ACK!  You just got one killed!

Okay - I think I'm safe. We now have FOUR cats. It's getting crazy, but not there yet. Phew!

Oh, pshaw. Four cats is nothing. I came out to Texas from California with five. :D

I am now down to no kitties at all. I've had at least one dog or cat since 1978 (plus the guinea pigs, hermit crabs, and tropical fish). Right now, I have Wrolf the French bulldog (a 16yo rescue) and two budgies. I will not be looking for a replacement pup after Wrolf goes, and if I could find someone to take the birds, they'd be gone right now. I am officially Done With Pets. :D

I used to foster cats. We'd end up keeping ones that didn't find new homes. I was definitely a crazy cat lady. We now have two and I will not have more again. I have to hold the line with DH because he is perfectly happy being a crazy cat dude.

As for litter boxes, I always went as minimal as possible. My rule was to have one per bathroom, use litter that was truly flushable, and scoop every time I used the toilet. It didn't seem to matter how many cats we had, this was enough that newcomers to the house were always surprised how many we had because "but your house doesn't smell like cats!"