Menu

Universalist Christian church?

Veritaserum

I tried the Unitarian Universalists, but I miss Christ. Is there a Christian denomination that:

1) Focuses on emulating Christ's love, acceptance, and charity

2) Grace over works (changed by grace rather than saved by works)

3) Includes women at all levels of church leadership (pastors, etc.)--NO wifely submission at all

4) Supports individual interpretations of scripture; views can be shared freely without fear of censure or being accused of preaching "false doctrine"

5) Does not hold the Bible as inerrant, but takes the positive and uplifting messages while leaving the sexist or racist elements behind

6) Teaches frequently about Christ's earthly ministry and how to apply His teachings in our lives today

7) Creates a supportive and social network of believers while also serving the poor and needy in the surrounding community

Our local UCC (United Church of Christ) church jokingly calls itself the Christian Unitarians.

Also, if you have other UU options, it might be worth a try. Some definitely lean more Christian than others. We have several in town and the one we attend is considered the most conservative and churchy of them all (which is really laughable as someone raised as a Catholic, but still ... )

Our local UCC (United Church of Christ) church jokingly calls itself the Christian Unitarians.

Also, if you have other UU options, it might be worth a try. Some definitely lean more Christian than others. We have several in town and the one we attend is considered the most conservative and churchy of them all (which is really laughable as someone raised as a Catholic, but still ... )

I wish there were. :-/ There are only two congregations. The one I tried is almost an hour away. The other one is an hour and half away. I live in Utah in an area where ~85% of people are LDS (Mormon), so there are hardly any non-LDS Christian options near me. The ones I've found are all very conservative (inerrant Bible, no females in leadership, etc.).

There is one Methodist congregation with about 50 people. The name is in a Polynesian language, so I don't even know if the services would be in English....

Churches associated with the Emergent Church movement are going to be like that. Some Emergent congregations are practically UU; others stick closer to the creeds, but with the "flavor" you are looking for.  Here's a Lutheran pastor you'd probably like: http://www.nadiabolzweber.com/ --not that you could attend her church, but you might want to follow her preaching.

I thought emergent was a term defining a movement, but not an actual set of churches clearly defined.  How would one find one?

Churches associated with the Emergent Church movement are going to be like that. Some Emergent congregations are practically UU; others stick closer to the creeds, but with the "flavor" you are looking for.  Here's a Lutheran pastor you'd probably like: http://www.nadiabolzweber.com/ --not that you could attend her church, but you might want to follow her preaching.

I was going to suggest UCC also. If there's not one near you, talk to them about starting one.

Yeah, I was going to suggest UCC too... our church is both UCC and UU.  Best of both worlds. :)

Sorry there aren't a lot of options out your way... here in the northeast there's a UCC or UU church, or both, in pretty much every town.  All those picturesque white steepled churches here in New England are pretty much all one or the other.

Also, have you looked into a Unity church?  I've never been to one so I can't really give you a personal opinion, but once we contemplated moving elsewhere and I was looking at the churches around that area, and the Unity church looked interesting at least on paper.

I tried the Unitarian Universalists, but I miss Christ. Is there a Christian denomination that:

3) Includes women at all levels of church leadership (pastors, etc.)--NO wifely submission at all

4) Supports individual interpretations of scripture; views can be shared freely without fear of censure or being accused of preaching "false doctrine"

5) Does not hold the Bible as inerrant, but takes the positive and uplifting messages while leaving the sexist or racist elements behind

6) Teaches frequently about Christ's earthly ministry and how to apply His teachings in our lives today

7) Creates a supportive and social network of believers while also serving the poor and needy in the surrounding community

I don't know, but you just described what I am also looking for.

My father is a VERY liberal Christian minister.  We grew up in the American Baptist tradition - very much like what you are looking for but they may mostly be in New England.

He is now pastor of a Congregational church - again, that may be more prevalent in New England.

Good luck!  I would definitely go to the church you described!

There's a UCC church near me as you guessed, Amira. There's also one in the next town over. Both of them are bound to have tiny congregations, but I will check them out. This is one of the many reasons I wish we lived in a more diverse area.

A tiny congregation can sometimes be really nice too. I really hope something nearby works out.

Laura, if you want someone to talk specifics with, PM me.

I'm an ex-Mormon who splits my attendance between UCC and UU congregations but wants to be Episcopalian when I grow up. (My kids don't enjoy high liturgy nearly as much as I do. ;-) )And since we have lots of family and friends still in Utah, we have considered moving back at various times, so I've spent time looking at Utah churches.

Another vote for checking out Episcopal churches. Parishes vary WIDELY. There are liturgical vs plain & simple, clubby vs lots of outreach, socially/politically conservative vs very liberal. I have never been to an Episcopal church that was not welcoming to visitors or to non members attending now and then. Tell people what you are looking for and they will probably steer you to a parish that fits, if their one doesn't

You can google Episcopal diocese of Utah. I see there are only 25 episcopal churches in Utah. Not many, but I hope one is near you. I don't actually know if the Utah diocese is liberal or conservative overall, but it is worth checking out.

Accepting of all types of people, viewpoints.

Both are important. You shouldn't live a truly reprehensible life & expect grace to make up for that, lol. But there are not rules about what you must do. People do not get 'saved.' Just go to church and try to lead a decent life.

Women at all levels. Presiding Bishop (head of national church) is a woman). Some congregations conscious of using gender neutral language for worship, some not. 

Church uses analogy of 'three legged stool' - Scripture, Tradition and Reason. Say whatever you want in a bible study or group. Someone else could agree or disagree on a personal level, but not on a 'false doctrine' basis.' Not a term that I have EVER heard in any Episcopal church.

Absolutely. Bible classes often discuss source criticism -- how the Bible came to be, who wrote it, what traditions it incorporated and so on. In Bible study classes I have gone to, people brought all types of versions/commentaries, including Roman Catholic, Jewish. 

Of course.

Every Episcopal church I have ever been involved with has outreach as an important part of their mission. Soup kitchens, homeless outreach, domestic violence, environment and so on. One of the nicest programs I was involved in was a soup kitchen that served a carefully screened homeless population. The same people attended regularly, and both parishioners and homeless prepared the meal together and ate together at the tables. Another church I was in had a shelter for abused women (with their children) in an building next door to the church. A dear friend of mine in the church started off from the shelter (several decades ago). Several churches I know have cots/bathrooms for homeless. One of the best ways to get to know people in an Episcopal church is to volunteer for one of the missions. In areas where there are a lot of churches nearby, people often volunteer in a church that is not their home church, if a particular volunteer program suits their needs. Since churches are organized into dioceses and then into a national church, and then into a worldwide Anglican Communion, there is a lotos sharing, parish to parish.

Now that I am at computer, not phone, adding the above bolded, about Episcopal church. But, gosh, there are not very many in Utah! If several are within driving distance, check out those that you can, as Episcopal churches can be quite different.

I'd also agree about ELCA; maybe also Methodist and Presbyterian (U.S.A.) If non LDS are pretty thin on the ground in Utah, I might be tempted to select based on individual parish/congregation, rather than on denomination.

The Episcopalian bishop over Utah is liberal from what I can tell, but I am quite skittish about being part of an organization that is officially conservative. Based on my experiences in the LDS church (extremely conservative, highly ritualized worship inside the temple), I don't think Episcopalian would be a good fit for me.

The only Lutheran church within an hour's drive is Missouri Synod. There are two tiny Presbyterian churches in the county (<50 people). There's one Polynesian Methodist church (<50 people). There are a few rather vibrant-looking nondenominational churches, but they are all very conservative (inerrant bible, quite heavy-handed sounding on how to interpret scripture, etc.).

Belief-O-Matic says I'm a Liberal Quaker. The nearest community of Friends is in the next county.

The UCC church in the next town over looks the most promising.

The Episcopalian bishop over Utah is liberal from what I can tell, but I am quite skittish about being part of an organization that is officially conservative. Based on my experiences in the LDS church (extremely conservative, highly ritualized worship inside the temple), I don't think Episcopalian would be a good fit for me.

The only Lutheran church within an hour's drive is Missouri Synod. There are two tiny Presbyterian churches in the county (<50 people). There's one Polynesian Methodist church (<50 people). There are a few rather vibrant-looking nondenominational churches, but they are all very conservative (inerrant bible, quite heavy-handed sounding on how to interpret scripture, etc.).

Belief-O-Matic says I'm a Liberal Quaker. The nearest community of Friends is in the next county.

The UCC church in the next town over looks the most promising.

I am not familiar with Utah, but overall the Episcopal church is usually criticized for being too liberal, not too conservative, lol. The church can be pretty divided. There can be some old fashioned, traditional parishes. But the Episcopal church was one of the first to ordain openly gay bishops and is very welcoming to the LGBT community. Tremendous variation! To a certain extent, a diocese can be liberal or traditional, but parishes in a diocese may or may not be in line with the diocese.

But, since there is a lot of change in the Episcopal church, one thing to be wary of is a parish that is in a fight with the diocese. That has been happening frequently in some areas, and I doubt it would be a good move to walk into that kind of situation!!

Belief-o-matic?? Sounds intriguing. I'll look to see what I really am, lol.

Maybe I should give the Episcopalians another look. They are a block or so away from the UCC.

All of this may be moot since dh is seriously flipping out over the idea of me and the kids attending a different church from the one he and I were raised in. He never goes to church (once in the past year), but apparently he still feels strongly that it's the best church even though I really dislike most of what it teaches. Ugh.

Maybe I should give the Episcopalians another look. They are a block or so away from the UCC.

All of this may be moot since dh is seriously flipping out over the idea of me and the kids attending a different church from the one he and I were raised in. He never goes to church (once in the past year), but apparently he still feels strongly that it's the best church even though I really dislike most of what it teaches. Ugh.

He has every right to have a favorite church and to stick to it if it suits him, even if you don't like it; and you have every right to choose one for yourself, even if he wishes that his suited you.

2) Grace over works (changed by grace rather than saved by works) Both are important. You shouldn't live a truly reprehensible life & expect grace to make up for that, lol. But there are not rules about what you must do. People do not get 'saved.' Just go to church and try to lead a decent life.

I know, I think, what you  mean, Alessandra, but I beg to differ, or at least offer some clarity. There may not be just one moment of turning to the Lord exactly, like in many Protestant denoms, because we do baptise infants, but then they must be confirmed in the faith.  It is not a matter of "just go to church and try to lead a decent life."

From the Episcopal Catechism:

Baptism

The Episcopal Church teaches that one is saved by Jesus Christ.

If you, OP, want to know what is specifically taught, the above link has other pages that detail beliefs. We are undefined about a lot of things, but we definitely believe Jesus saves us.

I know, I think, what you  mean, Alessandra, but I beg to differ, or at least offer some clarity. There may not be just one moment of turning to the Lord exactly, like in many Protestant denoms, because we do baptise infants, but then they must be confirmed in the faith.  It is not a matter of "just go to church and try to lead a decent life."

Baptism

If you, OP, want to know what is specifically taught, the above link has other pages that detail beliefs. We are undefined about a lot of things, but we definitely believe Jesus saves us.

Thanks for clarifying, Chris.  

Baptism

You are right! -- and polite at correcting, which I appreciate :-) I meant 'saved' in the more emotional way I have heard it used in some other denominations, not in small-c catholic sense of being saved through a sacrament, St Augustine's 'indelible seal' of baptism that would still remain even if one were in hell….

Btw, the link is really good. If you go back, you'll find the Catechism from the Prayer Book is online, and it answers a number of questions you might have.

Episcopalians are fine with people dropping in.

That is truly a difficult situation. I would love to know how your journey works out. Not personal family discussions, but just whether or not you visit any churches and what you think of them.

When I was still a believer and church shopping, I ended up at a very liberal, very high church, Presbyterian church. I never would have started there, because I didn't see myself as Presbyterian, but it was a good fit (until it wasn't, but that wasn't their fault!).

Churches themselves can vary quite a bit, even if the denomination itself doesn't fit overall. You really can't tell until you attend for a bit. I never officially joined the Presbyterian church because I didn't agree with enough to feel honest about doing it. But it served as home until I finally accepted I wasn't a believer anymore and the annoying things about attending outweighed the good.

haha--now I will bow out, Alessandra, because I have never quite figured out Augustine! ;) :D

Oh, gosh, neither have I. I still have rather bad memories of trying to speed read The City of God on a NYC subway  (having put off this thrilling assignment tip the last moment) for a class I was taking. 

But I quite like St A as revealed more succinctly through the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, lol. I also like that his first language was Berber, having won many small bets on that one :-)

The church we were raised in (and that I attended as a devout believer for over a decade of our marriage) makes very specific, very literal claims about being the One True Church that is the only church to hold God's authority and the fulness of the gospel. That's why he's freaking out over the idea of me officially moving on (I've been "out" to him about my non-belief for well over a year). He's worried that by going to a different church, I am rejecting God and won't get to his church's idea of heaven. Obviously, I don't believe God will be mad about my switching churches. That's just what dh has been taught to believe.

We came to a potentially workable compromise today after a long discussion. We will see if it works out.

The church we were raised in (and that I attended as a devout believer for over a decade of our marriage) makes very specific, very literal claims about being the One True Church that is the only church to hold God's authority and the fulness of the gospel. That's why he's freaking out over the idea of me officially moving on (I've been "out" to him about my non-belief for well over a year). He's worried that by going to a different church, I am rejecting God and won't get to his church's idea of heaven. Obviously, I don't believe God will be mad about my switching churches. That's just what dh has been taught to believe.

We came to a potentially workable compromise today after a long discussion. We will see if it works out.

Just wanted to give a *hug* and good wishes. I can't imagine how hard that must be. My husband and I lost our faith together. It wasn't just a church-thing in our case, but the whole kit and caboodle. I don't know how it would have been if it had been only one of us or the other.

So, just wanted to acknowledge what you're going through and extend some sympathy. Hope it all goes as well as possible with the least amount of pain and difficulty for you both. 

Anglicans, many Presbyterians, all United churches in Canada, many Methodists.

The big problem you may find is that the vast majority of the churches in that group are suffering from demographic decline. You may need to scout a bit to find a lively, growing/holding steady church with young families.

Our family is UCC (we are in Colorado), and from all you have said, you would fit in beautifully in most UCC congregations I know of in our Conference (Utah is part of our conference).  I couldn't go elsewhere other than perhaps a UU...but like you, I would miss Jesus a little too much :-)  

Our congregation is small, about 40 people or so, but they are an amazing group of open minded, supportive, wonderful folks.  From what you are posting, I would urge you to seriously look at UCC.  Whether the local congregation specifically would be appropriate or not is yet to be known, but what you are describing wanting to find is 100% UCC.