Menu

What's going on with USPS lately?

arnold

I mailed a check for my daughter's dance tuition on January 7, it was due on the 11th. On the 30th I get a past due notice with a $10 late fee assessed??? So I call the studio explain I already mailed it. They said they'd looka round and see if it was misplaced, and by the way waive the late fee. So I send another check which was promptly received and cashed. TODAY the studio calls and says the original check was just delivered and what should they do with it. I love in the same city, maybe even the same zip code as the studio?????

Recently I've been hearing stories similar to mine, just wondering what the check is.going on with their service.

I don't know, but I recently sent my MIL a check, like I do every month, and they USPS returned it as "undeliverable." I used the same address I always do and put the same amount of postage on it.  :confused1:

Was it because postage just went up? 

I suspect your envelope was left in a mail bag or somewhere in a machine or truck, and it was forgotten. It is very easy for them to misplace something so tiny. When I lived in Texas, a statement for my cell phone service did not arrive. Then, I got a statement, for 2 months. Went down to the cell company office, immediately, and paid them for 2 months service. The next day (?), the first statement arrived. 27 days to go 66 miles...

My experience is that the USPS does a great job with the textbooks we order, that are shipped to Miami, FL. Even the ones they get from DHL GlobalMail...  :-)  They do a "first class" job for us, with those Media Mail packages.  :-)

Glad they waved the $10 fee for you. That helps.  :-)

I don't know what happened in your situation, but just last month USPS returned the payment I had sent several days previously to my phone company.  It had a yellow sticker on it saying it was undeliverable, no such address.  

Ahhhh! It was one of those envelopes with the window and the telephone company's address showing through that comes with the bills!!  It WAS absolutely the RIGHT address!  It WAS a GOOD address!

Since there was a long line at the post office, I removed the yellow sticker and put it back in the mail.  It was late, but got there the 2nd time.  We, however, had to pay a late fee.  GRRRRRR!

I know they are cutting back on personnel, but this is annoying!  Sorry you were the victim of error at the USPS.

I don't know, but I recently sent my MIL a check, like I do every month, and they USPS returned it as "undeliverable." I used the same address I always do and put the same amount of postage on it.  :confused1:

An aunt bought my kids Christmas presents from a museum -- same place she bought last year's presents. (Last year we had the same address). TWICE it was returned to the museum as undeliverable. The third time, thankfully, is the charm (they arrived yesterday)

This happened to us last month when dd's speech therapist tried to mail us some documents.  She said they came back as "undeliverable."  We have a mailbox bolted to the outside of the house on the street, and we've lived at the same address for five years.  :confused1:

We've had issues with packages, too.  They used to put them inside the door in the stairwell, but lately they've been leaving them laying out on the sidewalk.   :cursing:   And they seem to just stuff mail into the mailbox and leave it to us and the neighbors to sort out everyone's mail.  It's ridiculous.  I've actually been planning to call and complain.

I don't know--we are lucky if we even get mail delivery 2 or 3 days out of the week.  This has been going on for almost a year now.  I've put something in the mail around 7 in the morning and not have it picked up til the next day.

We've had issues with packages, too.  They used to put them inside the door in the stairwell, but lately they've been leaving them laying out on the sidewalk.   :cursing:   And they seem to just stuff mail into the mailbox and leave it to us and the neighbors to sort out everyone's mail.  It's ridiculous.  I've actually been planning to call and complain.

We've had issues to. Twice this week my mail was sitting on top of the mailbox instead of inside it. We have a mail room with locked mailboxes for each residence. There was nothing in the mailbox so it wasn't like it wouldn't fit. There are 700 other people here- anyone could have walked away with it. Grrr.

Hmm, a few months ago we were starting to wonder if the mailman was skipping our house several days per week. We kept having too many days where we didn't get anything, even junk mail. We have a good regular mailman, but I wondered if the subs were slacking off or if the sorting people at the post office were being slow.

We've had issues to. Twice this week my mail was sitting on top of the mailbox instead of inside it. We have a mail room with locked mailboxes for each residence. There was nothing in the mailbox so it wasn't like it wouldn't fit. There are 700 other people here- anyone could have walked away with it. Grrr.

Maybe your mail went to the wrong mail box so your neighbor just left it outside your mailbox for you.   I get my neighbor's mail in my mailbox sometimes and if I don't know the neighbor personally, I'll leave it outside their locked mailbox.

A book I ordered came from across the country to my city as it should have (verified via tracking), then inexplicably was sent to another city in a different state and was put out for delivery there. Finally, someone realized the error and sent it back. Two days later, it was delivered here. If I hadn't checked on the tracking, I'd have thought it was just slow.

What a timely thread.  We had been expecting some papers in the mail that supposedly had been sent to us mid-Jan.  They never arrived, so I called again near the end of Jan.  The person apologized and re-sent them.  We got those.  I figured they never actually mailed the first ones (got busy or whatever), but hey, that happens.  Yesterday the first ones arrived - postmarked Jan 16th...

I'm not sure misery loves company in this case.  It's a bit worrisome knowing there are so many things like that happening...  Most bills I pay online, but there really are some things that still have to actually "get there" via the mail.

I have found mail (some for me, some for my neighbors) dropped in my front yard on many occasions.  My mail carrier is constantly on his phone so I'm sure he's easily distracted.  I'm sure it's a boring job but I'm appalled at his lack of attention to it.

My dh's renewed driver's license never arrived so we requested another one. When I called the USPS, the rep said they don't ever lose any mail  :huh:

I don't know but we've had problems too. I was tracking a package that got transferred from ups to USPS. It was supposed to arrive Saturday. The transfer happened early Saturday about half an hour away from me. I just got it today, Thursday. Very annoying when it was school stuff I needed this week.

These are the worst. I once ordered a swimsuit for a vacation I had planned. When I ordered I paid for the 5 day shipping, the vacation was 2 weeks away. It was shipped out via Fed/Ex and then transferred to the post office.....where it sat. I went to the post office on two separate occasions to try to get the package but they kept telling me it hadn't been received by them yet, even though the tracking showed otherwise.  Needless to say my swim suit did not arrive on time for vacation i called to company to see if they could be of help and while they gave me shipping back, they had no way to track it once it was received by USPS.

I order some books in late December that were shipped Priority Mail, and noted as recieved by USPS on 2 Jan. I didn't receive them until this week.

Right now I'm waiting on a box from Horrible Books. I watched the box sit for over a week before it was sorted in Dallas (Ray ships from San Diego, and I live in El Paso). The box went through the El Paso sorting facility today and has left the area. After reading this thread, I wonder if it's on it's way back to San Diego now.

I've been having the same problems! We have had one of the snowiest winters on record here in Chicago so I think that I playing a part. There have been many days where we haven't had mail delivered at all. I think delivering mail is taking longer here because we have HUGE snowdrifts and a lot of streets and parking spaces are blocked. So they just aren't getting to all the houses everday. I'm waiting for a small package (padded envelope) that was mailed at the end of January. The tracking says it still hasn't left its home state of PA (although I know they don't always update the tracking). We sometimes aren't getting our mail until 6 at night, if we get it at all.

I have found mail (some for me, some for my neighbors) dropped in my front yard on many occasions.  My mail carrier is constantly on his phone so I'm sure he's easily distracted.  I'm sure it's a boring job but I'm appalled at his lack of attention to it.

My dh's renewed driver's license never arrived so we requested another one. When I called the USPS, the rep said they don't ever lose any mail  :huh:

Our letter carrier is often on the phone too...it's startling to suddenly hear a voice (I can hear him as he walks past our windows and up the steps).

My sister is a retired carrier and the phone thing makes her crazy. Carriers should be paying attention to the mail and the neighborhood. Letter carriers have done a lot of good being in the right place at the right time and being observant.

I love real mail. It makes me sad the usps seems to be struggling.

The same thing happened to us recently, only with some documents. Strange.