Menu

Finally! My new school room is done.

Titus.Two.Five

WWWWOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!

I am amazed! Where in your house is it? I was thinking the basement, but not sure. What's on the side you are in while taking the picture? I hope I'm not being too nosy, just curious about the whole layout.

Yes, exactly! I want to know this too! I was thinking I didn't want to redo the basement for a school room, but, if yours is in your basement, all I have to say is...

"Oh, honey! I've got a little somethin' for you to do! Lets go to the Home Depot this afternoon!"

I love the chalkboard wall :>(), the great lighting, the student chairs are awesome.

Also, how was the desktop made? And how long is it? 12 feet?

Did someone (husband?) just put a table (linoleum? granite?) top on a couple of base cabinets? It looks pretty easy to make if that is what is done. (Not that I know how to do that?)

I also wonder what is behind the desks?

I'd love some more info and ideas!!! I hope you thoroughly enjoy it.

Lisaj, whose dj got 70% done with her school room and then hurt his back and hasn't touched it for a month :>(.

Also, how was the desktop made? And how long is it? 12 feet?

Did someone (husband?) just put a table (linoleum? granite?) top on a couple of base cabinets? It looks pretty easy to make if that is what is done. (Not that I know how to do that?)

I also wonder what is behind the desks?

First, for those who don't realize it, those cupboards that is the base of the table, are doubled ... meaning on the back of each child's cupboard is a cupboard for *me* for that child. So there are 6 cupboard sets in front and then 6 in back.

We bought simple cabinets, and placed 2 together, back to back, and permanently put them together....so 12 single cabinets, made into 6 doubles - back to back.

The top of the table is simply countertop (we want to go granite later, maybe)...it is 3 pieces. The center piece is, I think 10 or 12 feet long ? Then the 2 end pieces were cut on 4 inch angles and affixed to each end of the center piece....the cabinets on the very end are also angled slightly. The total table length, I believe ended up being about 15-16 feet? My 5 children fit comfortably.

Behind the desks? is our downstairs family room....

Again, for the whole scoop and layout you can go to:

http://mrsdawneshelton.homeschooljournal.net/our-school-room/

Wow, Dawne, I went to the blog (or website) GREAT Ideas! You may be the new WTM organization guru.

Thanks, my basement school room is a few months from completion and you have given us all some great ideas! What is the depth of the table top - to fit back to back cupboards inside?

lisaj, many many questions

But, we (I) really need to know how you husband made those back to back cabinets. What is the depth of the table top - to fit back to back cupboards inside?

Hmmm, Lisa, I'll have to get back to you on that.

Ok when we bought the counter top, it did have a backsplash are on it, such as you see over by my school room sink...that was heated and laid down flat to make the area for the cabinets fit in wider, and also so I would not have to write over the thing. :001_huh: It came out JUST perfect...this truly was an experiment, let me tell ya! (my hubby bless his heart is pretty good with paper and pencil ideas...he designed our home too that way, and it is HUGE. :lol:)

The school table, counter where sink is, cabinets below and above sink, and also the computer desk/scoring station are all made from the same materials....

I'm loving all of your storage space. I think I want an area dedicated to our homeschool. Right now I only have a single book shelf and our dining room table. We never use the formal dining room, maybe we can change that into a school area. It's right in front of our entryway though....hmm.

Oh wait! I may have a plan. Our back porch is beautiful...and all it would take to make that a school room would be to add walls and windows all the way around. I'm thinking sunroom type windows!

My dh isn't going to be happy about this lol.

Wow. I think that is the most amazing schoolroom ever. Seriously! I really like the counter/cabinets for each child. That's one of the best features. I love all the clean lines and the uncluttered look--the wall of cabinets, the ornamental bookshelves--fabulous!

I have a very nice schoolroom and no basis for envy, but I really like the thought you put into each feature.

Awesome job! I hope you have a great year with it!

Hmmm, Lisa, I'll have to get back to you on that.

Ok when we bought the counter top, it did have a backsplash are on it, such as you see over by my school room sink...that was heated and laid down flat to make the area for the cabinets fit in wider, and also so I would not have to write over the thing. :001_huh: It came out JUST perfect...this truly was an experiment, let me tell ya! (my hubby bless his heart is pretty good with paper and pencil ideas...he designed our home too that way, and it is HUGE. :lol:)

The school table, counter where sink is, cabinets below and above sink, and also the computer desk/scoring station are all made from the same materials....

That is so brave to heat the countertop and flatten it - I would never even imagine such a thing. I do concur your dh is a genius.

I wanted to add (since i can't seem to stop commenting on your neato room) that a large, well-organized schoolroom might seem overkill to someone with just one or two kids - but when you are schooling more then 4 - organization becomes the lifeblood of the school. There is so much STUFF isn't there?!

I like the idea of the games in the school room - we have educational games that we haven't played for a year because I never see them at the right moment.

Ok, enough envy for now.

lisaj, probably homeschooling the same age span: K,3,6,9/10,11

a large, well-organized schoolroom might seem overkill to someone with just one or two kids - but when you are schooling more then 4 - organization becomes the lifeblood of the school.

I like the idea of the games in the school room

lisaj, probably homeschooling the same age span: K,3,6,9/10,11

Yes! My 3 olders are from a previous marriage so they were added to our homeschooling this past March, before that I was only schooling *our* two little boys and the dining room was sufficient, but no longer....

My kids have always spent a lot of time at the dining room table, playing games, and doing art stuff, drawing, etc... this school table will be used ALOT.

Grades of my kids: K4, 2nd, 4th, 7th, and 8th

Wow. I think that is the most amazing schoolroom ever. Seriously! I really like the counter/cabinets for each child. That's one of the best features. I love all the clean lines and the uncluttered look--the wall of cabinets, the ornamental bookshelves--fabulous!

I have a very nice schoolroom and no basis for envy, but I really like the thought you put into each feature.

Awesome job! I hope you have a great year with it!

Thank you. Yes, uncluttered is a huge thing for me, personally, I am the queen of de-cluttering. I just can't function in clutter. ;)

You know, it's funny, as beautiful as it IS, all I could think of when I first saw it was, "Are they going to paint the poles?" Sigh. I was a technical editor for TOO long! It trains a person to see in a certain way...

I see on your website that you plan to cover the poles with oak covers. That will finish off the room and make it super-classy.

My favorite features, based on what I can see, are that you have a cabinet for each student on YOUR side, while each student has an individual cabinet on the other side of the work table for his or her work materials. I also like the location of the computer table, placed so you can spin around to do work on the laptop while your students are busily working away!

I especially like the shelves and bins for games, puzzles, etc. I agree with the poster who said that if they're out of sight, they are often out of mind and not utilized enough! Enjoy your room, your students, and your year! I think you will be able to get a LOT of work done in this dedicated environment.

Thank you. Yes, uncluttered is a huge thing for me, personally, I am the queen of de-cluttering. I just can't function in clutter. ;)

Oh, do I ever understand THAT! People think my decluttered house is so virtuous or whatever, but really it is a selfish thing. I just CAN'T STAND clutter.

Of course decluttered is relative. I do have 12 open bookcases. Full-size. In a perfect world, though, they would be barrister bookcases with glass on the front.

My mind has been buzzing all day with how we could take out our kitchen island and replace it with one similar to this. I've been drawing diagrams and measuring our cabinets, even placing textbooks inside them. I wouldn't be able to have the chalkboards, but I would love to have the kids sitting there with cabinets of their own. We only have 2 kids so I'm thinking this is doable.

Would you care to share the dimensions of the cabinets (width and depth) and how much space you put between the cabinets for the chairs?

Thanks so much!

Beautiful room! I wanted to mention a couple of things I notice that haven't been talked about by others yet. First of all, the higher stools for the younger ones. Also, the island's cabinets are uppers, not lower cabinets, which are 12" deep. Perfect for curricula and easily fit two back-to-back under a 24" deep counter (probably about 28" flattened). Brilliant idea flattening those out, by the way. That was actually my biggest point of envy...how you got a nicely finished edge on both sides of your counter top.

We also have a school room with brown counters and white cabinets below, but now I can see how much cooler I could have planned our room. I might move ours up to the playroom and would try something more similar to your layout. I love how yours is two-sided.

the island's cabinets are uppers, not lower cabinets, which are 12" deep. Perfect for curricula and easily fit two back-to-back under a 24" deep counter (probably about 28" flattened).

I might move ours up to the playroom and would try something more similar to your layout. I love how yours is two-sided.

Yes! They are upper cabinets, we got all of ours at a surplus store, very reasonable cost.

Now if you do this, please, please share photo's. I would LOVE to see it. I really do so enjoy looking at everyone's school rooms, from simple to complex...we can all offer such great ideas. For example, the turn in plastic files on my wall...were from the idea another mom here gave when she showed photo's of her school room. I thank everyone who shares their school room photo's for us to glean from. ;)

Would you care to share the dimensions of the cabinets (width and depth) and how much space you put between the cabinets for the chairs?

Width of cabinets: 15 inches

Depth of cabinets: 10.5 inches

Space between for stool: 20 inches

I think with 2 children you could buy 6 cabinets, putting them back to back to create 3 doubles, and have a straight table. Or you could buy 8 cabinets, putting them back to back to make 4 doubles.

Place 2 sets 20 inches apart (side by side), for the front straight part and then the other 2 sets you would angle very slightly on the ends, placing 2 pieces of counter top on them cut at the 4 inch angle for a slight horse shoe effect.

That's fabulous that you have it in the family room so that the little ones can play and be cozy while the older ones do their studies. Do you do read alouds on a couch?

Yes, exactly! My 4 year old spends only 30 mins at the school table for 'formal' learning, and my 2nd grader spends only about 60 mins at the table for 'formal' learning. The school/family room are open to each other so they can easily play and still be 'with us'.

When I do read alouds, my kids all end up wanting to sit on the floor facing me, rather than on the couch....so my next project is to set up a reading nook in a corner of the family room. It will have a glider rocker, large area rug, and bean bag chairs! ;)