Menu

Shaving for a tween girl.

tammyw

My dd is almost 11 and wants to start shaving her legs. She takes ballet and the hair always pokes out of her tights. What is the best method for her to start? I used disposable razors growing up (still do) but in those beginning years, I sure sliced my legs up a good bit. I still occasionally nick my ankle.

Would it be best to start her on disposables? Or should I consider an electric razor? And if so, any specific recommendations?

My ballerina dd didn't start shaving until 13 (relatively light and blond hair). We just went with disposable razors (she picked them out) and shaving gel. I like gel better than shaving cream and the shaving gel cans (Skintimate) don't leave rust rings. Definitely have some little bandaids around for those first few weeks! And my goodness does she go through the gel! Probably using a can at least twice as fast as I do.

The nice disposable razors are much easier to control that the thin cheap ones. Look for ones like the Venus that have the large flat moisturizing head on them.  They make it much easier to avoid the nasty shaving errors since they sit flatter against the skin and increase the sliding ability of the razor.  Buy her some shaving gel too.  DD likes the EOS brand, and I like that it is plastic and doesn't leave rust rings in the shower.  I think that having a good moisturizing gel and large flat shaving head on the razor make a big difference to reduce nicks.  

Make sure to teach her how to get around the knee, ankle and shin.  Some people shave their thighs, some don't, it just depends on the body hair type they have and personal preference.

My ballerina dd didn't start shaving until 13 (relatively light and blond hair). We just went with disposable razors (she picked them out) and shaving gel. I like gel better than shaving cream and the shaving gel cans (Skintimate) don't leave rust rings. Definitely have some little bandaids around for those first few weeks! And my goodness does she go through the gel! Probably using a can at least twice as fast as I do.

Why in the world do some shaving gels / creams make bottles that leave rust marks. I HATE that!!!! You'd think they'd be smart enough  not to do that!

The nice disposable razors are much easier to control that the thin cheap ones. Look for ones like the Venus that have the large flat moisturizing head on them.  They make it much easier to avoid the nasty shaving errors since they sit flatter against the skin and increase the sliding ability of the razor.  Buy her some shaving gel too.  DD likes the EOS brand, and I like that it is plastic and doesn't leave rust rings in the shower.  I think that having a good moisturizing gel and large flat shaving head on the razor make a big difference to reduce nicks.  

Make sure to teach her how to get around the knee, ankle and shin.  Some people shave their thighs, some don't, it just depends on the body hair type they have and personal preference.

:iagree:  And in places like Target, if you double up with a manufacturer's coupon and a store coupon, you can get a ten dollar package of nice disposable razors for two or three bucks.

I've started using a "men's" razor, because it seems silly that we'd buy two different kinds of replacement heads for our razors. When I first started using it, I felt that it was more effective than the "women's" razors had been. Then, on vacation, I used one of those very cheap, entirely disposable, one blade razors. I cut my legs very badly. I'd really recommend getting one of the more substantial disposable razors, with the replacement heads. Amazon Subscribe and Save has great prices and then you never need to remember to reorder them :)

I only shave my legs a few times a year, so buying my own never made sense; I just always used my ex's razors.

(Other than that I was the perfect wife, mind you :lol: :Angel_anim:.)

They're GREAT. And I got my teenage sister started on them, and it's what I'll also use for my daughter when the time comes. She inherited her dad's gorilla gene, and will be shaving MUCH more frequently than I. Or maybe not, if it doesn't bother her! It bothers the women in ex's family, though.

We are currently entering this stage, starting with underarms and working up to legs. I got DD an Intuition razor because I've always had the best experience with razors that have some type of moisturizing/lathering agent on the razor. Venus razors have that as well so will be an option depending on what is the best deal. I love Trader Joe's Honey Mango shave cream, so I'm going to let DD try that. One thing my DD didn't know is that shaving dry is no bueno--bath or shower only, otherwise it hurts (razor burn!) and is easier to cut herself. She also didn't realize that shaving is so high maintenance--every day or every other day is required.

Dd is a brunette, so I let her shave as soon as she wanted to. For years, she butchered her legs with the cheap razors. Venus Sensitive Skin, along with liquid soap or shea butter is the way to go. And we have the lovely rust ring in the bath too.... The gel on regular Venus breaks us out, but if you are not sensitive to it, they are good too. I stayed with the 3 blades, rather than the newer 5 blade deals. I could only imagine if that went wrong...

If she has sensitive skin, Kiss My Face Moisture Shave is much less irritating than Skintimate (and it comes in a plastic pump bottle, so no rust).

I like Venus with replaceable heads, but Intuition is almost as good.

I find that lotions are a problem on just-shaved legs, but grapeseed oil or baby oil is nice.

I started with electric. Will probably do the same for my girls. I don't think they could shave without cutting their leg off right now but they are some hairy gals. I am waiting for the day to arrive that they ask to shave and I will let them. I started in 5th. I wanted to start in 4th though.

I use men's disposables. Bic, black ones. I have extreme hair though, very thick and women's razors just don't do the job. I use unscented men's shaving gel, Sport something or the other...I got it at Walmart several months ago for like $1/can on clearance. Score!

I have also used the battery powered handhelds....but I had to stop because, well, let's just say there was a party in the shower sometimes....a sexy party....

Anyway....get something sturdy for those first times. Teach her to shave using a balloon. Helps you learn how to apply pressure and follow curves. That's what sister did with her girls. Seemed to work for them.

So far, my DD is only 7 and is smooth. The women in her dad's family are all fairly hairless, so maybe she will end up like them. I sure hope so....

Definitely the ones with the block built in so you don't have to mess with creams, gels, or lotions.  We're all shower hogs here, we don't need to add extra steps!

My girls use the Intuition. I use the Venus. I think Venus handles sharp curves better, but Intuition is less likely to knick.

Shampoo or a cheap conditioner makes a great shaving cream. My favorite shaving cream in the world is from Slumber Parties (do not laugh). It's called Cootchie (I hear you laughing!) and it works really well and lasts a long time.

Of course, there's always Nair. It does last longer and there's less stubble to cope with.

I have sensitive skin and have found the Venus Breeze + coconut oil (instead of shaving cream) to be foolproof and easy on skin. I'll probably start my dd on that combination when she's ready to shave. The coconut oil makes the tub slippery, so that might be an issue for some.