Menu

Alzheimer's sucks

StephanieZ

Yes.  And there are days when trying to deal with it seems completely overwhelming.  And there are days when you grieve for the loss of the person they once were, or grieve for the loss of your own faculties if you are suffering from it yourself (as my grandmother did).  Truly, yes, it sucks.  

Best wishes and inner strength to all...

That is all. Just needed to say it.

Anyone agree?

yeap,

My dad had dementia was it Alzheimer's no idea. 

My mom also has signs and takes meds.

she had 7 siblings. 2 have died from it, 2 are seriously ill with it, and  the youngest and 3rd oldest so far show no signs.

Yes.  It does.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

There was a great piece on NPR years ago ... a series documenting a family and their journey with Alzheimer's.  Interviews with all family members.  It was a good series.  Might be worth a search, and a listen, for anyone who hasn't heard it.  

I always say that there's nothing harder health-wise IMHO than dementia in general (not just Alzheimer's), and that comes from having another family member with significant medical problems and disability. Dementia is worse, hands down.

It is more than the "long goodbye," it is a long, traumatic journey for the caregiver that changes them forever. Finances and family relationships are never the same even when the person is gone.

I think some of the feelings are the same as I deal with in my bipolar son.  The person is there in body but they are gone.  It is hard to see the body of the person but in mind they are no longer there.  This is how I feel about my bipolar son.  He looks like my son but the illness is masquerading who he really is.  I hated this with my dad--Alzheimers took him in spirit and finally in body in Oct. 2013.  Both are thieves and suck.  Sorry to be a downer---I miss both my Dad and my son. 

I think some of the feelings are the same as I deal with in my bipolar son.  The person is there in body but they are gone.  It is hard to see the body of the person but in mind they are no longer there.  This is how I feel about my bipolar son.  He looks like my son but the illness is masquerading who he really is.  I hated this with my dad--Alzheimers took him in spirit and finally in body in Oct. 2013.  Both are thieves and suck.  Sorry to be a downer---I miss both my Dad and my son. 

:grouphug:

Totally agree. My dear husband has Alzheimer's. 

We are hugely blessed in that, even after 8 years, he still has his usual laid-back personality. We have only occasionally seen some melancholy. 

Some days are worse than others, but overall we have it so much better than most. 

Hugs to anyone dealing with this terrible disease in any way.