Menu

Do people really not know the difference between sharing a family tradition in a secular setting and inappropriate evangelism?

Joanne

Fox New's take:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/01/14/first-grader-told-to-stop-talking-about-bible/?intcmp=latestnews

Really? Can a reasonable reader not see that she was allowed to share her tradition but not "scripture?" That child was set up for conflict - John 3:16 is *insulting* to those who don't hold the Christian faith.

I tried to find another source, but the first 1.5 google pages were ALL conservative sites.

And, yes, I'd feel the same way if the verses were from the Quran, the Bagavad Gita, or the Book of Mormon.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What seems ridiculous to me is that a teacher gave her students the assignment to present a family tradition related to a religious holiday and then refused to hear about the associated religious beliefs.  She stopped the girl at the point of saying that Jesus was the savior of the world, before she ever recited scripture. 

Fox New's take:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/01/14/first-grader-told-to-stop-talking-about-bible/?intcmp=latestnews

Really? Can a reasonable reader not see that she was allowed to share her tradition but not "scripture?" That child was set up for conflict - John 3:16 is *insulting* to those who don't hold the Christian faith.

I tried to find another source, but the first 1.5 google pages were ALL conservative sites.

And, yes, I'd feel the same way if the verses were from the Quran, the Bagavad Gita, or the Book of Mormon.

But it was her family's tradition. It went along with her presentation. She wasn't planning to give an altar call or anything.

I think you're off on this one, girl friend, and I can't think of very often I have disagreed with you over the years. I think there might be some other issues going on in your head.

What seems ridiculous to me is that a teacher gave her students the assignment to present a family tradition related to a religious holiday and then refused to hear about the associated religious beliefs. She stopped the girl at the point of saying that Jesus was the savior of the world, before she ever recited scripture.

I agree. And maybe I am daft, but I do not understand how John 3:16 is offensive to non-Christians. If you don't believe it, you don't believe it, sure, but I am not offended by the belief.

If a teacher asked my dds to share a family tradition regarding Christmas, it would be religious in nature because that is what Christmas is for us. The teacher was at fault here, not the student. The teacher really didn't think that assignment all the way through.

I agree. And maybe I am daft, but I do not understand how John 3:16 is offensive to non-Christians. If you don't believe it, you don't believe it, sure, but I am not offended by the belief.

Probably the part about how all the non-Christians are going to perish. ;)  I'm not personally offended by it, but it does leave me rolling my eyes.

Probably the part about how all the non-Christians are going to perish. ;)  I'm not personally offended by it, but it does leave me rolling my eyes.

Fair.

But if the teacher feels that way, she shouldn't ask kids to do presentations about holidays with religious significance.  

Probably the part about how all the non-Christians are going to perish. ;) I'm not personally offended by it, but it does leave me rolling my eyes.

Eh. Me either. I'm good. Generally speaking, it is pretty hard to offend me though. I guess atheists shouldn't be offended because they don't believe it in any way, shape, or form. And religious folks from other traditions generally have their own path to salvation that they believe is the one and only path. Maybe agnostics are the most likely to be offended? Like in a fretful oh crap, what if it's true? kind of way. :lol: But I remain unoffended (and un-fretful). So, yeah, LOL, I still don't see why it would actually offend anyone. Like for real instead of in a righteous indignation kind of way. I am super weary of righteous indignation lately.

So, kids were presumably allowed to share their belief in Santa Claus but a girl sharing her belief in Christ is wrong?

The Bible is a book.  She was quoting a verse from a book.  She wasn't evangelizing, she was sharing the facts of her families personal tradition and another fact presented as a quote from a book.  People can say that God/Heaven/Hell many or may not exist, but the Bible is a historical book of stories and a quote from it, when presented as a quote is a fact....not an insult.  

Were children who don't believe in Santa protected from hearing stories about him? 

Were other children allowed to present books like Polar Express and present quotes from them?  Stories about Santa Claus, elves and a magic train? 

The assignment set up any child who has any Christian tradition up for failure. I think the teacher should seriously reconsider this assignment in future years. 

Is there a non-Fox link ? I don't click on the Big F.

Sounds kinda crazy if it's true. I don't care if a little girl shares about Christmas being Jesus' b'day as long as the little boy next to her gets to share about his Pagan traditions and the atheist kid behind them can roll his eyes quietly without getting in trouble.

I agree sending a child to school with scriptures of any kind to quote is a bit off. I mean, I think Jesus is all for playing nice at school. And we heathens can take care of our own souls, thank you very much.

How about: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Student-Not-Allowed-Talk-About-Bible-School-Lawyer-240195351.html

Reminds me of this story: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Teacher-to-Student-Jesus-Not-Allowed-in-School-238979411.html

Also, I just need to add...

As a teacher, one needs to be prepared to handle family differences calmly and gently.

I had students with all kinds of backgrounds in my classes.  Rich, poor, atheist, Catholic, Mormon, Muslim, Jehovahs Witness, children of young-earth creationists, children of secular university biology professors, etc. etc. etc. That's the public schools.  

Kids tend follow the teacher's lead.  If the teacher is calm, respectful, and gentle about conflicting family backgrounds,  usually the students will be, too.  

I agree with those who posted that it's unreasonable to ban Bible references from a talk about Christmas, given that for many people (all though by no means all), Christmas is a Christian celebration. Personally, I don't find Bible quotes 'offensive' in any way, at least not in that context.

However, I'm also a bit suspicious about this story. It doesn't sound that normal for an average 6yo to be reciting scripture at every opportunity. I hope she did this because she happens to be a religious child and wanted to share a special Bible verse, but the cynic in me suspects that she may have been put up to it by her parents just to create the ensuing controversy.

Anyway, regardless of why the incident happened, it seems mean to shame the little girl into feeling that she did something wrong. Couldn't the teacher have just spoken to her quietly afterwards and said not to include Bible quotes next time, if that was the school policy?

Were children who don't believe in Santa protected from hearing stories about him? 

Well, in all fairness, Santa doesn't threaten to roast you in a giant barbecue for all eternity if you don't believe in him. ;)  In my experience, most people don't get too worked up about kids proselytizing to each other until hell comes up and the poor agnostic children have nightmares for a month.  Not saying that's what happened here, but in general, that does tend to be a problem.  

Well, in all fairness, Santa doesn't threaten to roast you in a giant barbecue for all eternity if you don't believe in him. ;) In my experience, most people don't get too worked up about kids proselytizing to each other until hell comes up and the poor agnostic children have nightmares for a month. Not saying that's what happened here, but in general, that does tend to be a problem.

Nah, but Santa does bring Susie (whose parents are rich) really nice gifts and Johnny (whose parents are poor) next to nothing, which has the potential to create confusion and feelings of inadequacy.

We love Santa here, but he can also be problematic.

Well, in all fairness, Santa doesn't threaten to roast you in a giant barbecue for all eternity if you don't believe in him. ;)  In my experience, most people don't get too worked up about kids proselytizing to each other until hell comes up and the poor agnostic children have nightmares for a month.  Not saying that's what happened here, but in general, that does tend to be a problem.  

Really?  John 3:16 is a very simple verse and is often one of the very first pre-k children are taught.  

John 3:16

New International Version (NIV)

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

•  

I don't know where you got barbques and roasting from that, but if you do. I can't imagine what you would get from  stories about elves stalking children waiting for them to do bad things to report back to Santa.  A fat man, who breaks into peoples homes and only leaves presents for children he sees as worthy.  Some, who he presumably likes better getting expensive toys like gaming systems/hot Christmas fad items, gift cards and presents cramming a stocking full..... and other getting a small book, orange and a few bits of candy....or possibly nothing at all.  

I agree with those who posted that it's unreasonable to ban Bible references from a talk about Christmas, given that for many people (all though by no means all), Christmas is a Christian celebration. Personally, I don't find Bible quotes 'offensive' in any way, at least not in that context.

However, I'm also a bit suspicious about this story. It doesn't sound that normal for an average 6yo to be reciting scripture at every opportunity. I hope she did this because she happens to be a religious child and wanted to share a special Bible verse, but the cynic in me suspects that she may have been put up to it by her parents just to create the ensuing controversy.

Anyway, regardless of why the incident happened, it seems mean to shame the little girl into feeling that she did something wrong. Couldn't the teacher have just spoken to her quietly afterwards and said not to include Bible quotes next time, if that was the school policy?

Possibly, but it is a common verse taught to 4 and 5yo kids in private Christian schools and in Sunday School, Awanas ect.  It wouldn't surprise me a bit that it was the girls own idea.  

owever, I'm also a bit suspicious about this story. It doesn't sound that normal for an average 6yo to be reciting scripture at every opportunity. I hope she did this because she happens to be a religious child and wanted to share a special Bible verse, but the cynic in me suspects that she may have been put up to it by her parents just to create the ensuing controversy.

I had a little 'evangelist' in my class just about every year I taught.  

(FWIW, they were usually very dynamic, well-liked children.)

Possibly, but it is a common verse taught to 4 and 5yo kids in private Christian schools and in Sunday School, Awanas ect.  It wouldn't surprise me a bit that it was the girls own idea.  

Yes, I guess you're right, John 3:16 is often one of the first verses people learn, and honestly I'm glad that it was likely her own idea, as I would find it quite nasty if a 6yo were being used as some kind of weapon in a school/parent disagreement!

Not sure about the 'roasting in hell' issue. I'd find it pretty rude for an adult to regale me with descriptions of my (alleged) forthcoming roasting, but little kids don't always develop tact automatically, so sometimes it's a matter of explicit teaching about when it is and isn't appropriate to say certain things. Developmentally, a 6yo is generally a person who has only recently grasped the idea that not everybody knows, thinks and believes the same stuff as she/he does, so it isn't surprising if they can't yet make nuanced distinctions between sharing and evangelizing.

If I could speak to the little girl I would say, "This is what Jesus says to you, 'Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.'"

Really? John 3:16 is a very simple verse and is often one of the very first pre-k children are taught.

John 3:16 doesn't say anything about non-Christians.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

I thought the same thing and even looked it up to confirm before posting. After the roasting was brought up, I clicked the link for all translations and some did include the idea that those who did not believe would "come to destruction" or "be lost." I imagine that those are the translations preferred by those most likely to be offended.

It seems that the school policy is that children are allowed to show their beliefs in their schoolwork as it pertains to the assignment. Bringing the Star of Bethlehem and telling what is represents would fall under that category. If the child was older I would think she was trying to push religion but John 3:16 is the first one taught to children and most likely the only one she knew and it is about Jesus as is the Star. I think it was probably very innocent and the teacher overreacted.

John 3:16 doesn't say anything about non-Christians.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Yes it does. Whoever doesn't believe in him are non-Christians, whoever doesn't believe in him will perish and not have everlasting life.

Really?  John 3:16 is a very simple verse and is often one of the very first pre-k children are taught.  

John 3:16

New International Version (NIV)

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Those who believe shall not perish, not everyone ever. Not the Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, Hindu, and atheist children, because they do not "believe in him."  Just two sentences later (John 3:18), the author explains that, "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s one and only Son." Not such a friendly message for anyone else, kwim? Maybe the teacher was avoiding a problematic worry over the classroom. Not everyone is a Christian, and 6 year old kids don't like to think of being burned alive in Hell for ever and ever. What a way to start a winter break. But who knows, maybe the teacher does have a bee in her bonnet. If that's the case, there would likely be a pattern of behavior of this, but I agree with Sadie that the attempt at portraying Christian persecution (something Fox invented) is easily dismissed (not that you said that, it was just the continuation of a thought I had while writing). 

If the teacher did not want a student to say something about Jesus then she should not have told them to make Christmas presentations.

Students are permitted to express their religion, the teacher was wrong. 

If they don't want students to give an opinion in regard to religion they should not ask about holidays that may have certain meaning towards some students. Did the teacher ask about Eid (I know Eid is in the summer this year) and then tell the Muslim student they couldn't discuss it? Was the pagan child asked about Solstice?

There are numerous religious holidays that occur around that time. 

If you don't want a religious answer then don't ask a religious question.

It seems that the school policy is that children are allowed to show their beliefs in their schoolwork as it pertains to the assignment. Bringing the Star of Bethlehem and telling what is represents would fall under that category. If the child was older I would think she was trying to push religion but John 3:16 is the first one taught to children and most likely the only one she knew and it is about Jesus as is the Star. I think it was probably very innocent and the teacher overreacted.

Yes it does. Whoever doesn't believe in him are non-Christians, whoever doesn't believe in him will perish and not have everlasting life.

No, it only talks about those who do believe.  You are drawing a conclusion, by using only one line of the Bible.   The girl was talking about putting a Star of Bethlehem on her tree and her families traditions celebrating the birth of Christ.  She is not talking about non-believers and how her faith divides the two.  She is a little kid saying what her family traditions are around Christmas...I don't think it was a fire/Hell/Damnation sermon casting out the sinners and non-believers. 

Those who believe shall not perish, not everyone ever. Not the Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, Hindu, and atheist children, because they do not "believe in him."  Just two sentences later (John 3:18), the author explains that, "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s one and only Son." Not such a friendly message for anyone else, kwim? Maybe the teacher was avoiding a problematic worry over the classroom. Not everyone is a Christian, and 6 year old kids don't like to think of being burned alive in Hell for ever and ever. What a way to start a winter break. But who knows, maybe the teacher does have a bee in her bonnet. If that's the case, there would likely be a pattern of behavior of this, but I agree with Sadie that the attempt at portraying Christian persecution (something Fox invented) is easily dismissed (not that you said that, it was just the continuation of a thought I had while writing). 

She wasn't quoting 3:18

She wasn't quoting 3:18

I didn't mean to confuse anyone by continuing the author's message, my apologies.  I understand she was quoting 3:16, which says that whoever believes in Jesus shall not perish. 

Whoever believes in Jesus will not perish.

Only those who believe.

It's logical  to see how this reciting this verse might be problematic in a secular school where students why do not believe in Jesus spend the day and learn, which might be why the teacher cut the bible recitation short. It's possible the school has a policy the teacher was just following. It's also possible the teacher panicked and wanted to cut that short. 

I didn't mean to confuse anyone by continuing the author's message, my apologies.  I understand she was quoting 3:16, which says that whoever believes in Jesus shall not perish. 

Only those who believe.

It's logical  to see how this reciting this verse might be problematic in a secular school where students why do not believe in Jesus spend the day and learn, which might be why the teacher cut the bible recitation short. It's possible the school has a policy the teacher was just following. It's also possible the teacher panicked and wanted to cut that short. 

She cut the child off before she got to that part though didn't she? Regardless the *teacher* wasn't giving the verse, a child was. That would have been within her rights.

The teacher found enough offense just from her discussing the Star of Bethlehem. 

I thought the same thing and even looked it up to confirm before posting. After the roasting was brought up, I clicked the link for all translations and some did include the idea that those who did not believe would "come to destruction" or "be lost." I imagine that those are the translations preferred by those most likely to be offended.

The overwhelming majority use perish.  We don't know which version she was quoting but the 6 most common that I am familiar with, all use perish. 

Only those who believe.

It doesn't say anything about non-believers.   And it doesn't say "only those who believe".

I can say "my son is going to go to college" it doesn't mean that my daughter won't be going as well.

You are drawing a potentially false conclusion from a single sentence, with no basis for it. 

It doesn't MATTER if people would have been offended. 

We don't have freedom from religion, we have freedom of religion. It isn't up to the teacher to protect the other students from any exposure to religion in public school.. If the religious student is within the bounds of an assignment they are within their rights and the rules to do so.

Nothing in this code shall be construed to prevent, or exclude from the public schools, references to religion or references to or the use of religious literature, dance, music, theatre, and visual arts or other things having a religious significance when such references or uses do not constitute instruction in religious principles or aid to any religious sect, church, creed, or sectarian purpose and when such references or uses are incidental to or illustrative of matters properly included in the course of study. 

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/EDC/2/d4/28/4/2/s51511

To me, secular means that religion is not practiced, required or 'pushed' outside of religious contexts. It doesn't mean that I want religious beliefs to be some kind of taboo topic, or that I want my kids to be ignorant about some/all brands of religion/spirituality. In practice, secular education is not having school prayers, it isn't banning Bible quotes. How are they even going to enforce that logically and consistently? For example, what about expressions that are Biblical in origin but have become so commonplace that most people don't even realize they are Biblical - will kids be told off for saying "as old as the hills"? Or absently humming a bit of psalm 23? Why do there need to be regulations prohibiting quoting the Bible? What's wrong with simply saying that kids need to be kind and respectful to their classmates (and, of course, the teacher)? Principles are so much more constructive than rules.

What a fuss. Seriously. If this is all Christians have to be up in arms over...

The story isn't real journalism. It tells one side of a single incident.

And like it or not, it's a pluralist world we live in. Common sense dictates that we be as loud and joyous about our beliefs in our homes or places of worship as we like and tone it down a little at school.

Is anyone seriously suggesting the child couldn't have told the Christian story of Jesus sans scripture ?

Jeez. Just because a right exists doesn't mean taking it to its extreme all the time.

I am less up in arms over the teacher than I am that several posters think they were correct to violate this child's rights and expand the ability of the school to silence her expression. The teacher made a dumb mistake but the rules are pretty clear.

In an academic setting children attending school among the public ought to be prepared to be exposed to things that might offend them.

We don't have the right to be free from things that might offend us.

The kid still has the right to free speech within the bounds set forth by the rules and her report was within those rules.

I do understand the separation of church and state in the US, but I think that - if it occurred as reported - this is heavy handed.  A little girl's speech in class with a mention of Jesus as saviour and a bible verse should not be a big deal.  As an atheist, I would not be offended, nor would I even think of complaining to the school.

L

No, but we have the ability to be sensible about it.

If a teacher shushed my Dawkins quoting kid I'd figure they were getting too enthusiastic about sharing and leave it at that.

Just because you can quote scripture at school doesn't mean you have to quote scripture, kwim ?

So we have these freedoms....but we shouldn't use those freedoms because it might annoy someone and cause a fuss?

I am afraid I am more of the "use it or lose it" school of our Bill of Rights.

I think you are off here, Joanne.

It was a presentation to do with the biggest Christian holiday of the year. Students are absolutely allowed to share their religious views in school. If we want to protect kids with blue hair and kids who don't say the pledge, then we protect kids talking about this important aspect of their life.

Oh come on. I personally don't care but she seriously HAD to quote scripture to protect her right to free speech ?

'For us, Christmas is a celebration of when baby Jesus was born in Bethlehem. We put this star on top of the tree. It reminds us of the star that guided the wise men to visit baby Jesus.'

'Thank you Mary Lou. Please sit down. Nia, what does Christmas mean at your house ?'

It doesn't matter if she "had to." Nobody "has to" use their rights at any point. And she didn't even say the scripture in class, the teacher cut her off as soon as she mentioned Jesus. Kids in the US public school system *are* allowed to talk about their faith when it fits in context.

The pledge example is about the right to abstain.

And they also have the right to speak. How is it different? I am a firm supporter of the ACLU. They fight for *everyone's* liberties here in the US. I want them to fight foe the right of Muslim kids or Buddhist kids or atheist kids or Christian kids.

Thank you for sharing that.  It reaffirms some thoughts I had on the verse but I didn't have the knowledge of the original text to truly support my thoughts on it.

I was Googling John 3:16 and "Greek" and I found this article which breaks down the verse in the Greek. Wow! For Christians, the Greek is very illuminating!

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/483-the-golden-text-a-study-of-john-3-16

Meh.

I'm surprised the girl was stopped. I think she had the right to share this tradition and the beliefs that went behind it. If the teacher didn't want the kids to talk about religion in their traditions, s/he should have stated that up front. The evangelism aspect is so minimal here to me--plus, if she was stopped before John 3:16, what prior to that was evangelistic? Even John 3:16 isn't the entire gospel to some Christian groups, it's just a verse, though it encapsulates a segment of basic Christian theology.

A girl this age, I guess I'd give it a pass. I'd just make sure the rules are clearer next time, and I'd have let her finish. 

Ok, I read the article.  The principal says there are educational codes in place?  Name them!  

When I took a schools and the law class, in California, for my MA in School Counseling, we were taught that as long as it is student lead, students are allowed to express their religious beliefs.  A teacher cannot put a Nativity scene up in a public school classroom, but if a child draws a manger scene to put on the wall, the teacher CAN put it up.  Student lead is fine.

They may have interpreted this code differently than I would have:

Students may freely express their religious beliefs or carry a Bible, so long as they are not disruptive to the class and school day. The prohibition on promoting, inhibiting, or establishing religion applies to teachers, counselors and administrators as representatives of the state, and, in some states to students when they are leading a "captive audience."

A student may read aloud from his or her Bible in class only when this reading serves a secular, non-devotional purpose.