Menu

Name your TOP 3 BOOKS which guide or influenced your homeschooling methods...

Alaska Mom

The Latin-Centered Curriculum

The Well-Trained Mind

for academics

and...

Cesar's Way, Buddhism for Mothers, Transforming the Difficult Child;)

for being an effective educator/mama

But can I throw in Sonlight's Catalog as *honestly* my number 1 influence? I had never heard of a literature approach to schooling until this came in the mail. I was enthralled and amazed! Now I wouldn't do it another way!

At first it was:

1. The Well-Trained Mind

2. The Top 100 Picks for Homeschool Curriculum (Duffy),

3. The 3R's by Ruth Beechick.

Now 2 years later it's:

1. Original Homeschooling Series by Charlotte Mason (also Levison's CM titles)

2. Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp

3. The Educated Child by William Bennett

1. Well-Trained Mind - as a very specific how to book.

2. Echo in Celebration: A Call to Home Centered Education - as a motivating book that made me realize just how important it is to get the fundamentals down and that all doesn't have to be fun.

3. Carry on Mr. Bowditch - this was so inspirational to me. I want my kids to have the desire to learn just like Nat Bowditch. I simply love this book!

The top 3 picks that have shaped our homeschool are : The Original Homeschooling Series by Charlotte Mason, The Latin-Centered Curriculum, and When You Rise Up by RC Sproul Jr. This last title convicted me of my academic pride and reminded that Character-training needed to be an essential part of homeschooling. I've also been greatly influenced by the work of the Circe Institute, but that's mostly lectures, not books.

I can't believe I forgot Norms and Nobility. Throw that in there too.

I found TWTM first, before I'd even considered homeschooling. That clinched it for me, right there. So, like Jessica, my thinking on homeschooling and my direction has changed over time. My initial list would've been:

1. TWTM

2. Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning

3. The Paideia of God

Now, my list would be:

1. LCC 1

2. LCC 2 (really, I have found both iterations very helpful, in very different ways)

3. Climbing Parnassus

I found TWTM first, before I'd even considered homeschooling. That clinched it for me, right there. So, like Jessica, my thinking on homeschooling and my direction has changed over time. My initial list would've been:

1. TWTM

2. Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning

3. The Paideia of God

Now, my list would be:

1. LCC 1

2. LCC 2 (really, I have found both iterations very helpful, in very different ways)

3. Climbing Parnassus

I probably should have made two lists too. :001_smile: My first list would have looked yours Layla. And my second too. I would have put Norms and Nobility on both lists though, since I read it after it was quoted in TWTM.

Jami

Guest Dulcimeramy

Karen Andreola's Charlotte Mason Companion

John Holt's Teach Your Own and How Children Fail

John Taylor Gatto's Dumbing Us Down and The Underground History of American Education

Ideas and observations from these books keep me going on the difficult days.

When I was beginning: The Well Trained Mind. I loved having someone tell me what to do. Then as I became more comfortable with what I was doing I started getting away from it more.

Now I'd have to say:

1. Ruth Beechick (3R's, Biblical Home Education, You can teach your child successfully)

2. A Charlotte Mason Education

3. Charlotte Mason Companion

Though I still think it's very important for my kids to learn Latin! :D

It's still evolving, more along the lines of authors, rather than books. When I'm trying to hear an author's voice, I read at least 2-3 works by that writer, if they've written that much. Here are the authors who've gone into the stew pot and (so far) stayed there, simmering...

1. Susan Wise Bauer/Jessie Wise (The Tried & True-Oh Duo -- BTDT, 2nd Generation HSers, Tested)

• The Well-Trained Mind
  • SWB's blog
  • The WTM website articles
  • The Well-Educated Mind

2. John Taylor Gatto (The Lone Ranger/Stranger/Danger, depending on how you look at it. Go, John!). When it first came out (1988), I read Cultural Literacy by E. D. Hirsch. If you thought THAT was disturbing, try reading Gatto! He shakes me up! Besides, I know that what he says is true. I've worked in pses and have tutored PS kids, and let me tell you... I've had 5th graders stare at me when I mentioned the word "noun." Response: "Is that the thing with the E?" Shudder. What is a noun?

• Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling
  • The Exhausted School (I worked in one of those!)
  • The Underground History of American Education

3. Tracy Lee Simmons/Andrew Campbell/Cheryl Lowe (3 peas in a pod?)

• Climbing Parnassus (Simmons)
  • The Latin-Centered Curriculum (Campbell) -- still reading/digesting
  • Memoria Press articles (Lowe)

When I first came to homeschooling, I read TWTM. That book set the path for how I wanted to teach my children. Since then, I have read books that have fleshed out that path. Those books are:

Climbing Parnassus

LCC

Norms and Nobility

Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss--when looking at this list, this book sticks out like a sore thumb as it is CM-inspired but it helped me to relax regarding my expectations.

1. Well Trained Mind

2. Well Trained Mind

3. Well Trained Mind

I read this when dd was 3 and it just hit such a cord with me. I have read others and while I like some Charlotte Mason and Ruth Beechick ideas, I always go with WTM as my guide. LCC is also a good fit but then not as much as WTM. I don't follow the curriculum suggestions as outlined because we are secular and many recommendations just did not fit but overall we are WTMers to the core.

.. not REASONS for homeschooling, but rather books that have directed or guided you in your choice of methods or curriculum.

What are your FAVORITES , or the ones that you absolutely wouldn't want to homeschool without....

The Well Trained Mind.

That's really all. I have enjoyed reading others, but this is the only one that has dramatically helped me.

For the Children's Sake

Survivor's Guide to Homeschooling

Mary Pride's Big Book of Home Learning

I discovered The Well Trained Mind late when my oldest children were already in high school and I enjoyed seeing that many of my curriculum picks and methods are similar to those recommended by Susan. And I learned so much from you gals on this board.