Menu

Could we do a "confessions" here....

jillian

It's the iz this pushy? thread. Tricky, because I do not have a kid that's dragging me along, but I am planning on starting a couple highschool books, simultaneous with going through elementary books in math, and maybe just straight to the highschool grammer book (with separate composition). A couple of posters said I was being "pully" not pushy because I'm saying follow me to pull him to where he belongs instead of pushing for a personal agenda. I also was told a few things to consider. It was very encouraging, actually.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I confess that sometimes I am terrified of teaching DS6 because I'm arty and he's STEM-my.

I confess that I'm making us stick with Saxon math because I can do it, even though he might benefit from another approach.

I confess that I hate reading juvenile nonfiction and I can't understand why he keeps choosing books like The Wonderful Water Cycle over books like Henry Huggins.  I've been insisting on reading aloud the science books and leaving the fiction to him, but perhaps it should be the other way around.

I confess that I enjoyed Star Wars until recently, but now I would like to never, ever answer another philosophical question about Anakin Skywalker's choice of the Dark Side.

I confess that I worry about giving as much attention to my younger child's education when she starts in a couple more years.

I made a long winded thread tl;dr on why I think buying highschool books for an advanced six year old is fine because "you don't know what your kid don't know". I'll confess I'm embarrassed by how long and rambly it was, but I spent so long rewriting it trying to figure out what my point was there's no way I wasn't posting that sucker (although that should have been a clear indication not to, haha).

It actually doesn't seem like that bad of an idea.  

When I was 9 my parents had to cancel my birthday party for a good reason.  I forget what the reason was, but I understood and wasn't upset.  Which in hindsight probably made them feel more guilty.  They asked me what I would want if I could name any present.  I said I wanted the green Freshman Physics Textbook from the neighboring college.  My parents said "Sure.  We will get that for you"  Then, Dad turned green when he saw the price.  I looked at that book often and still treasure it.  

My husband confessed today that the only reason my first son is accelerated is because I was so depressed after having him and so I read to him constantly because I didn't know what else to do with him all day. He wants the same attention to the other son, teaching him to read, and I am not in the mood yet to even think about that child's education. The first one keeps me so busy.

My husband confessed today that the only reason my first son is accelerated is because I was so depressed after having him and so I read to him constantly because I didn't know what else to do with him all day. He wants the same attention to the other son, teaching him to read, and I am not in the mood yet to even think about that child's education. The first one keeps me so busy.

I don't think its possible to give the second child the same as the first.  I wouldn't want to.  My DS revels under the intense attention and story play that his sister pushes on him.  He tags along on all these bunny trails and activities that I didn't consider doing with DD.  He has a role model in her and a very enthusiastic role model at that. He is my early reader and he is the one who had less one on one attention from Mom. Giving him the same thing that DD had would mean not having DD.  

About nine months ago, Dh took over doing the nightly read aloud because I was exhausted.  I am an avid reader, love children's books and so forth but was just tired.  It happens.  A friend of mine observed kindergarten classrooms (I think she was there to give helpful hints to ESL learners)-  Afterwards, she told me that what she saw that went well in the classrooms had more to do with the teacher's attitude than any planning.  The kids mirrored back what the teacher gave them.  I've thought about that when I get stressed and tired- they will mirror me at this age.  Mom needs to be well, happy and enthused- otherwise it may be counterproductive.

I confess that sometimes I wish my eldest was merely "bright" and not borderline HG/PG.  I hate arguing with him over why he needs to show his work in math class when he can do it in his head.  I hate that we need to keep on him like a toddler because of his nonexistent executive functioning.  I dread the thought of him going off to college where he could likely fail out because of the same lack of skills. I wish he could take AP or advanced classes but he can barely handle the stress of the regular ones. 

I hate hearing from parents of his friends whose kids have straight A's, remarking how their kids had to "put his nose to the grindstone" to bring up his A- to an A.  My kid can barely make a B-.  If it doesn't hold his interest, he doesn't care.  Or he thinks he can handle it even when it's falling apart.  I just am so TIRED of the stress of it all.

Sorry. It's been a rough night here.   I love my son greatly and wouldn't change him or the school environment he's in, but sometimes, I just wish it was easier for him.  And me. 

I hid my chocolate after I caught my DH eating it.  

My 19 yo is gifted and doing great-a lot of hard fought battles with schools.  Now my 8yo I am sure is gifted and I feel I am forced to homeschool against my desires because of lack of school rigor.  I don't want to do battle this time around.  I feel I spend way too much time looking for materials to satisfy him.  This semester I decided to skip all traditional schoolwork and am doing Big History and computer programing, sccratch code.org etc.  When I feel I need alone time, I make him do Khan Academy math online.  He has read so many books that I have to track on excel. The library has been a godsend.  I want him to return to school but can't see a scenario that he won't be so far ahead of his peers.  I hate teaching writing and language and am lucky he seems to naturally get it.

I want to brag about him and yet I hate that he is gifted.  I am forced to learn beside him and at times I love it.  It is just so exhausting mentally.  There is so few that can relate to locally.

I confess that I am very worried about getting my son's gifted level directly tested because I am worried it will make my husband feel threatened.

I confess that I don't care at all what my son does during the day, because if he really applied himself I have no idea what I would even say about our homeschooling to the majority of the population.

I confess that I really want to be fun-Waldorfy-crafty mom, not secretary mom and I really want my son to be kid, not socially awkward mini-adult.

I confess that I have way too many items checked out from the library right now that I am considering listening to audio lectures, read books aloud, and completely abandon all other subjects for the next month.

I confess that my favorite part of the whole day is when we snuggle up and read aloud before bed together, because it is the only time that I feel like my son is my kid, not my someone I am mentoring.

I edited the first part of this post because it cursed instead of blessed.

I confess I waver about where the line is between getting and receiving support online vs. putting too much personal information online. 

I confess I waver about where the line is between getting and receiving support online vs. putting too much personal information online..

This is true. I met someone IRL that told me that she knows me from the forums and that she has a folder with some of my posts in it that she printed up. That was a little surreal. But, I have always tried to never post anything that I didn't care if people knew, anyway, bc for me, having a large family with a disabled adult child.....if you read the forums and meet our family, you apparently recognize me. ;). So, I keep my posts real. We are what you read. :)

I confess that even though I love my DD's passion, and I'm willing to support her in it, I rather wish she weren't so focused on animals that could kill her, most of which live on other continents. I really don't want to be raising the Dian Fossey of endangered snakes.

I confess this has been a rough morning, but if I have to hear one.more.single. condescending 'she is FOUR!' Comment, complete with utter looks of scorn, eye-rolls, and sarcasm? I refuse to be responsible for my reaction. I am sorry it is 'strange' that she wants to read to the other kids, or decided to regale you with her list of Fibonacci numbers when you wanted her to paint the letter A with a q-tip.

Yes. I am very, very aware if that. It is why I regularly bring her to your play-based, non-academic preschool.

Besides! Why on earth do they feel the need to tell me? Could someone please tell my kid instead, lol?

I confess that I occasionally tell my 4 y/o to "just shut up" (in a smiling but firm manner). She has been speaking in paragraphs since she was 1, and it seems like she never stops talking. She is fascinating to listen to, but sometimes I just need to be able to think in peace.

I also confess I remember being the same way as a child and my mom telling me to "shut up". I think I need to go buy her some flowers ;)

I confess that I occasionally tell my 4 y/o to "just shut up" (in a smiling but firm manner). She has been speaking in paragraphs since she was 1, and it seems like she never stops talking. She is fascinating to listen to, but sometimes I just need to be able to think in peace.

I also confess I remember being the same way as a child and my mom telling me to "shut up". I think I need to go buy her some flowers ;)

When DD was about that age I was still doing a regular comic on a web site-which tended to reflect my life at the time. This was inspired by a true event.

28582_122223894466328_771610_n.jpg?lvh=1

When DD was about that age I was still doing a regular comic on a web site-which tended to reflect my life at the time. This was inspired by a true event.

Love this!

Yes, my daughter hear that she is annoying quite regularly, because she can be. It occurs to me now how horrified some of my friends would be if they knew that we told her she is annoying. But it is so important. I heard all the time that I was annoying (because I was) and it helped me self regulate, or actually people/situation regulate. I discovered early that there were some people who would never want to have long discussions with me, and that there were some (many ;) situations when I just needed to be quiet. I ended up making friends with people who either were annoying like I was and loved to discuss or who were quiet deep thinkers and were happy to have someone hold up both ends of the conversation while they pondered. :)

BTW dmmetler, I really enjoy your posts. My youngest may not be quite as profoundly gifted as your daughter. But as I listen to my 4 y/o talk about seriously wanting to be an entomologist or geologist, your posts about your budding herpetologist inspire me. Thanks :)

I confess that even though I love my DD's passion, and I'm willing to support her in it, I rather wish she weren't so focused on animals that could kill her, most of which live on other continents. I really don't want to be raising the Dian Fossey of endangered snakes.

Did you steal my kid? Lol

I confess this has been a rough morning, but if I have to hear one.more.single. condescending 'she is FOUR!' Comment, complete with utter looks of scorn, eye-rolls, and sarcasm? I refuse to be responsible for my reaction. I am sorry it is 'strange' that she wants to read to the other kids, or decided to regale you with her list of Fibonacci numbers when you wanted her to paint the letter A with a q-tip.

Yes. I am very, very aware if that. It is why I regularly bring her to your play-based, non-academic preschool.

Besides! Why on earth do they feel the need to tell me? Could someone please tell my kid instead, lol?

My dd loves play based 5k at a local church. She technically would be in 5k this year but she is so far above that that the teachers are confused as to what to do with her

I tell dd to shut up because it is non stop. I have recently begun tuning her out unless she changes tone. Has gotten me in trouble because I have given her permission to do silly things by not paying attention

I love it

I confess we are sending her to a really great school for next year. It's got great academics and I'm hoping she does fine there. She needs interaction from someone else and we will after school/supplement. It was going to be interest led this year anyway lol

This is true. I met someone IRL that told me that she knows me from the forums and that she has a folder with some of my posts in it that she printed up. That was a little surreal. But, I have always tried to never post anything that I didn't care if people knew, anyway, bc for me, having a large family with a disabled adult child.....if you read the forums and meet our family, you apparently recognize me. ;). So, I keep my posts real. We are what you read. :)

I'm worried about people taking things out of context with malicious intent.  I remember one crazy mom that I dealt with as a little girl.  I suppose my mother dealt with her too but I remember specifically dealing with inappropriate behavior from her.  

The support here is invaluable. 

My son didn't start to really talk until he was 3. Now at 4 he never shuts up. I was the same too. Millions of questions. Analyzing everything. Bless my mother.

My son didn't start to really talk until he was 3. Now at 4 he never shuts up. I was the same too. Millions of questions. Analyzing everything. Bless my mother.

Miss E was like this.  I used to challenge her to see if she could wait x minutes before she spoke her next word.  (She usually could not, but even half a minute of silence is golden.)  Or I'd ask her to listen and after x minutes, tell me all the sounds she heard that were not of her own making.  :P  It eventually slowed down.

I confess that I am so thrilled to finally say that I don't wipe butts any more.  My youngest is 7, brilliant, and very recently potty independent!  It's not the sort of thing I can crow about on any forum, LOL.  [ETA, I should clarify that she was out of diapers 5.5+ years ago, just took forever to get this last detail down.]

Now if I could get her to stop smearing her food....

I confess that I am so thrilled to finally say that I don't wipe butts any more. My youngest is 7, brilliant, and very recently potty independent! It's not the sort of thing I can crow about on any forum, LOL.

I can't like this enough. I am so looking forward to being done with wiping butts.

I confess that I am so thrilled to finally say that I don't wipe butts any more.  My youngest is 7, brilliant, and very recently potty independent!  It's not the sort of thing I can crow about on any forum, LOL.

Now if I could get her to stop smearing her food....

I have an almost 5 year old nowhere near being potty trained fully. *sigh*

Miss E was like this.  I used to challenge her to see if she could wait x minutes before she spoke her next word.  (She usually could not, but even half a minute of silence is golden.)  Or I'd ask her to listen and after x minutes, tell me all the sounds she heard that were not of her own making.  :p  It eventually slowed down.

Every so often, I have to institute Fifteen Minutes of Silence from everybody.  And I have to actually time it, because as soon as the fifteen minutes are up, it's like a dam breaking.

I confess that my DS watches too much TV because sometimes my brain needs a break from, "Why?" and a constant stream of chatter.

I confess that some days I think that DS might end up being perfectly average intellectually and I fear that I will feel inappropriately "let down" about this.

I confess that DS is my "Guinea pig" who gets experimented on in terms of educational philosophy, structured lessons vs. "normal daily life" learning, etc.

I confess that I am very protective of DS in some ways because I don't think most people will understand his personality well enough for my comfort.

• 3 weeks later...

I confess we are sending her to a really great school for next year. It's got great academics and I'm hoping she does fine there. She needs interaction from someone else and we will after school/supplement. It was going to be interest led this year anyway lol

I confess that I wish there was a great Catholic High Scool near us to send my upcoming 9th grader although she wants to homeschool for high school!!

I confess that I want to let her completely unschool for high school but I'm terrified to allow it because I'm a horrible record keeper.

Confession: I rarely get the baby dressed in the morning; he's routinely in his pjs all day. 

Confession: I regularly feel like I'm FAILING my kids educationally. Totally irrational. They're learning and they're happy. I just worry and stress and always think I should be doing more.

Confession: I'm officially "off-duty" usually by 8p. You can find me in my room, with a glass of wine, reading or catching up on The Mindy Project or 19 Kids and Counting (don't judge!). Thankfully, my husband is a night owl and has perfected the art of getting everyone to bed at a (relatively) decent time.

Confession: I had to give up Girl Scout cookies for Lent because I was averaging A BOX A DAY when they first came in :/

Confession: I'm starting my PhD in the fall (big, big deal), yet I have this nagging feeling that I should just continue to stay home, have a 4th baby, and raise chickens in my backyard... we eat a lot of eggs.  

I was so glad when the Schwans delivery guy quit delivering here because he sold the best rocky road ice cream cones in a box of six. Every 2 weeks he'd come by and sell them. Every time I would buy a box and try to save one for my husband to taste. Every time me and the kids would eat them before my husband ate one. He never did get to taste the world's best ice cream. Not gifted related, just good ice cream. Seriously the best stuff on earth.

Confession: I rarely get the baby dressed in the morning; he's routinely in his pjs all day.

Confession: I regularly feel like I'm FAILING my kids educationally. Totally irrational. They're learning and they're happy. I just worry and stress and always think I should be doing more.

Confession: I'm officially "off-duty" usually by 8p. You can find me in my room, with a glass of wine, reading or catching up on The Mindy Project or 19 Kids and Counting (don't judge!). Thankfully, my husband is a night owl and has perfected the art of getting everyone to bed at a (relatively) decent time.

Confession: I had to give up Girl Scout cookies for Lent because I was averaging A BOX A DAY when they first came in :/

Confession: I'm starting my PhD in the fall (big, big deal), yet I have this nagging feeling that I

should just continue to stay home, have a 4th baby, and raise chickens in my backyard... we eat a lot of eggs.

I can ditto pretty much all of this, except, it's me in pj's all day, and I'm going back for my masters in the spring.

[quote name="BuddhaMama" post="5570863" timestamp=

Confession: I'm starting my PhD in the fall (big, big deal), yet I have this nagging feeling that I should just continue to stay home, have a 4th baby, and raise chickens in my backyard... we eat a lot of eggs.

I went the chickens route, though there is only one baby in the house and he is 9. A large part of me really wanted to go back for the degree - it felt like me time. As my son has gotten more independent, I find that I can learn and seek out the me time in other ways. I am beginning to realize that I can find adult conversation and academic growth in alternative places. This is not to say that you made any kind of wrong choice. More that I think we all have such thoughts as, "maybe I should take the complete other direction?" It will work out in the end, just like me and my chickens have.

Just keep it well mowed around the chicken coop!!!

DD's been doing statistical analysis of reported urban snake sightings and specific features of a given house, and there's a higher correlation between reports of  snakes and chicken coops than any other backyard feature (including water features, swimming pools, woodpiles, and gardens) (it's still only around .68, so it's not a given that you'll get snakes if you have chickens-although if you have a water feature, chicken coop, and a woodpile, you've hit the three things that have the highest correlation with sightings of snakes of any kind). No way of knowing for sure whether or not said snakes are venomous (most people report EVERY snake they see as venomous, and over 90% of snakes, live or dead, brought into labs as venomous aren't)-but if you have a chicken coop, it's probably a good idea to make sure you also aren't providing attractive habitat.

DD's been doing statistical analysis of reported urban snake sightings and specific features of a given house, and there's a higher correlation between reports of snakes and chicken coops than any other backyard feature (including water features, swimming pools, woodpiles, and gardens) (it's still only around .68, so it's not a given that you'll get snakes if you have chickens-although if you have a water feature, chicken coop, and a woodpile, you've hit the three things that have the highest correlation with sightings of snakes of any kind). No way of knowing for sure whether or not said snakes are venomous (most people report EVERY snake they see as venomous, and over 90% of snakes, live or dead, brought into labs as venomous aren't)-but if you have a chicken coop, it's probably a good idea to make sure you also aren't providing attractive habitat.

We live in the National Forest, so no lawn and no urban area. In fact it is directly written into our lease that we cannot have a lawn or grass of any kind! There is a water feature - a free and scenic river - but no snakes that we have seen. Washington State isn't all that well known for snakes, as far as I know. However, she knows WAY more than I do! Ds would probably be willing to loose a chicken or two if it meant snakes.

DD's been doing statistical analysis of reported urban snake sightings and specific features of a given house, and there's a higher correlation between reports of snakes and chicken coops than any other backyard feature (including water features, swimming pools, woodpiles, and gardens) (it's still only around .68, so it's not a given that you'll get snakes if you have chickens-although if you have a water feature, chicken coop, and a woodpile, you've hit the three things that have the highest correlation with sightings of snakes of any kind). No way of knowing for sure whether or not said snakes are venomous (most people report EVERY snake they see as venomous, and over 90% of snakes, live or dead, brought into labs as venomous aren't)-but if you have a chicken coop, it's probably a good idea to make sure you also aren't providing attractive habitat.

Not snakes, but tell your dd she can come and find a solution to our lizard issue for us! We have had three different 'experts' out, have rehung and adjusted all the doors, cut back foliage around the house, you name it. No one can figure out where they are coming from (no one else in the neighborhood has the problem!) or how to stop them from getting into our house. We live in Texas and from about May through September EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT we average 4-5 in the house! So gross. They are just those teeny tiny babies, but they lie in wait for me I swear. One night I went to use the toilet in the night an there was one just waiting for me...inside the toilet bowl! I FREAKED:)

They are protected as 'beneficial predators' so no one can do anything about them. Outdoors? beneficial predators. In my house in numbers greater than occasionally one? a big problem! But they die in the house and leave little carcasses all over that we find when we vacuum or such. And they stink when that happens, ugh.

I am dreading summer for this reason alone. Fourth year in this house and fourth year dealing with it. Aagghh!

Are there any sonic devises? Sadly I don't know anything about lizard hearing.... Yet. We will cover that at one point.

Only issue with sonic devices is that they have to no be blocked by anything. I would maybe hang one by a cord up high near enterances. I have never heard of a lizard infestation. However we always had geckos in our houses when I was a kid. Not sure we even have geckos in the US.

What kind of lizards? There are a BUNCH that are native to TX. DD says she can do a journal search (this is the kind of project she loves) and see if she can figure out what might help, or if there's someone specializing in those particular lizards who might be able to advise. It lets her use her new toy, too (she got full access to the SSAR database when she won the scholarship).

In urban settings, what brings snakes inside is when inside provides something (food, water, or shelter) that outside doesn't, so if you can figure out what's driving them in, and provide that outside they shouldn't need to come in. I would imagine that would be the same for lizards, so your problem actually directly relates to the work she's been doing recently.

EoO-you're in my DD's dream house. Except she'd rather be in the Great Smokies (more herp diversity).  Since you're in a National Park, your chickens are probably much less attractive. The situations DD is looking at are snake sightings in specific, pretty large cities, so for the most part, the animals don't have what they need in the wild anymore, and that outweighs their usual wariness of humans when humans have something they need. In a National park, they likely wouldn't need to come near humans-the most likely reason would probably be for a warm basking spot, and any paved road will do there. It usually requires going pretty far off trail in designated park lands to see reptiles other than turtles and some of the smaller, very fast lizards, and I'd imagine a place people are living would have the same effect.  And that's down here, where reptiles are pretty common.

If you do see a snake, it will probably be a garter near water-they're about the most common snakes in the Northern states, and there are multiple species in Washington State.  if one is actually in/near your chicken coop, it's probably a gopher or pine snake "(non venomous, but on the big side and can be a bit intimidating). The only venomous snake in any part of Washington state is a single rattlesnake, and it's pretty reclusive. You also have one of DD's favorite snakes-one of only two boidae species in North America, the Rubber boa-a really, really cute little fossorial boa constrictor. A male will probably only get to about a foot long, a female slightly bigger. They're basically the color of slightly shiny mud. Since they mostly live under ground, they're rarely sighted. They're good snakes to keep because they really don't require a lot of specialized care-their heating requirements are about equivalent to what humans find comfortable, they're calm, they're easy to handle, and they almost never bite and don't musk. They brumate a big part of the year. They're so calm (and look so much like a toy snake, only with a moving tongue) that they're used frequently in treatment for snake phobias-which is why DD wants one.

What kind of lizards? There are a BUNCH that are native to TX. DD says she can do a journal search (this is the kind of project she loves) and see if she can figure out what might help, or if there's someone specializing in those particular lizards who might be able to advise. It lets her use her new toy, too (she got full access to the SSAR database when she won the scholarship).

In urban settings, what brings snakes inside is when inside provides something (food, water, or shelter) that outside doesn't, so if you can figure out what's driving them in, and provide that outside they shouldn't need to come in. I would imagine that would be the same for lizards, so your problem actually directly relates to the work she's been doing recently.

Well, one of the students we had come out identified 4 different species in abundance living at our house, lol! Most of them tend to stay RIGHT outside the doors?! For some reason we have a tremendous number of green anoles that love our garage door.

But by far the biggest issue is the little brown house geckos. I guess they are actually an invasisve species that typically chases away the other native species. Not so at our house!

Our house is brick and right I outside the front door is a very tall, primarily enclosed brick entryway that they love. Of course our porch light attracts bugs, but we are required to keep that on. I don't even use the front door in the summer, ugh.

In desperation we tried glue pads...won't do that ever again. One night there were six in one night! But...we have beautiful birds we feed and one day a gorgeous red male cardinal decided a trapped lizard would make a great snack. It was heartbreaking and had both my hubby and I in tears.

We have put glue boards inside the doors (after having them rehung!) but the third time I had to soak my screaming child to remove it from her skin last year I gave up:(

And we have yet to find anything sonic that is anything but a joke.

Anyway, I don't want to distract your kiddo, but if she wants more info she is welcome to it. Maybe I shall start a thread in the chat forum and see if others have had this problem...and stop contaminating this poor thread with my lizard issues:)

http://www.tsusinvasives.org/database/common-house-gecko.html

yes!  Somehow I thought it was only mine who were determined to give me a half hour explanation of how they built a hot dog stand and water park, or whatever.

Or the non-stop "Mom, do you want me to make you a water park? Watch me make it. Tell me what you want.  It will only take an hour or so. Then we can make another one for dad."

Or the non-stop "Mom, do you want me to make you a water park? Watch me make it. Tell me what you want.  It will only take an hour or so. Then we can make another one for dad."

Luckily I have two of minecrafting age so they spend a lot of time making things for each other.  I just get the rundown at the end :)

I confess I tried minecraft and couldn't figure out either how to do it or why I would ever want to.  

• 4 weeks later...

DS7 has anxiety issues, sensory issues, and food sensitivities... it has gotten **so** much better over the last couple of years as we have figured out how to manage it... Tonight DS had his first complete meltdown in the last ~6mos. Midway through dinner... screaming, throwing stuff, etc etc... DW is dealing with it... using all those logical, consensus building approaches the books love so much. Things are continuing to escalate... at this point he is clearly just overloaded.

I rummage through my stash of Young Math books that I keep on roughly perma-loan from the library... I don't have enough nickels and quarters in my pocket so we have to skip "Base Five"... Instead it is "Venn Diagram" night. He pretty quickly calms down. We read the book and work some similar problems snuggled up on his bed. Tomorrow we will probably do a bunch CSMP "strings" problems that I keep planning to get to. Afterwards, he's still a little worked up so we look through some nature guides and then he settles down reads his some of his Llloyd Alexander book and goes to sleep(by then its his normal bed time).

How can a kid get so out of control and then pull it together so quickly when you can engage all of his brain with some academic subject... I understand that engaging all his faculties crowds out the anxiety... but I confess that I wonder how he will ever manage it on his own. He's 7... He's sooo much better than when he was 5. No doubt this will continue. I'm not worried about it but I confess I'm frustrated by what this kid could do if he could only get out of his own way.

How can a kid get so out of control and then pull it together so quickly when you can engage all of his brain with some academic subject... I understand that engaging all his faculties crowds out the anxiety... but I confess that I wonder how he will ever manage it on his own. He's 7... He's sooo much better than when he was 5. No doubt this will continue. I'm not worried about it but I confess I'm frustrated by what this kid could do if he could only get out of his own way.

:grouphug: Been there.

DS7 has anxiety issues, sensory issues, and food sensitivities... it has gotten **so** much better over the last couple of years as we have figured out how to manage it... Tonight DS had his first complete meltdown in the last ~6mos. Midway through dinner... screaming, throwing stuff, etc etc... DW is dealing with it... using all those logical, consensus building approaches the books love so much. Things are continuing to escalate... at this point he is clearly just overloaded.

I rummage through my stash of Young Math books that I keep on roughly perma-loan from the library... I don't have enough nickels and quarters in my pocket so we have to skip "Base Five"... Instead it is "Venn Diagram" night. He pretty quickly calms down. We read the book and work some similar problems snuggled up on his bed. Tomorrow we will probably do a bunch CSMP "strings" problems that I keep planning to get to. Afterwards, he's still a little worked up so we look through some nature guides and then he settles down reads his some of his Llloyd Alexander book and goes to sleep(by then its his normal bed time).

:grouphug: from here too.  A. has similar challenges.  It is academic stuff that works here, too, esp. math. 

I think that the struggles come with some of the gifts, so in that sense you can't really have all of the one without the other.  I think.  That's my hopeful theory at least ...

At least you have one in the middle. I have an almost 9 year old and a 10 month old. I actually pulled out videos the other day so I could have some idea of when dd did what because people keep asking. It was 8 years ago...I have no idea :)

My oldest is 9 & baby is 16 months ;)

EoO-you're in my DD's dream house. Except she'd rather be in the Great Smokies (more herp diversity). Since you're in a National Park, your chickens are probably much less attractive. The situations DD is looking at are snake sightings in specific, pretty large cities, so for the most part, the animals don't have what they need in the wild anymore, and that outweighs their usual wariness of humans when humans have something they need. In a National park, they likely wouldn't need to come near humans-the most likely reason would probably be for a warm basking spot, and any paved road will do there. It usually requires going pretty far off trail in designated park lands to see reptiles other than turtles and some of the smaller, very fast lizards, and I'd imagine a place people are living would have the same effect. And that's down here, where reptiles are pretty common.

If you do see a snake, it will probably be a garter near water-they're about the most common snakes in the Northern states, and there are multiple species in Washington State. if one is actually in/near your chicken coop, it's probably a gopher or pine snake "(non venomous, but on the big side and can be a bit intimidating). The only venomous snake in any part of Washington state is a single rattlesnake, and it's pretty reclusive. You also have one of DD's favorite snakes-one of only two boidae species in North America, the Rubber boa-a really, really cute little fossorial boa constrictor. A male will probably only get to about a foot long, a female slightly bigger. They're basically the color of slightly shiny mud. Since they mostly live under ground, they're rarely sighted. They're good snakes to keep because they really don't require a lot of specialized care-their heating requirements are about equivalent to what humans find comfortable, they're calm, they're easy to handle, and they almost never bite and don't musk. They brumate a big part of the year. They're so calm (and look so much like a toy snake, only with a moving tongue) that they're used frequently in treatment for snake phobias-which is why DD wants one.

When my son was younger a family friend captured a rubber boa and kept her in a terrarium...until she had babies and then he couldn't contain them all. She was beautiful though and very much looked like a toy snake. We are on the border of the Cascade Mountains. No rattlers here;not quite hot and dry enough. Just LOTS of ticks since we cannot use pesticide of any kind.

If we find a rubber boa, we can send her overnight mail to you all :)