Menu

Do you put greens in beef stew?

RoughCollie

By greens, I mean spinach, kale, collard greens, and the like.

I looked at this recipe for beef stew:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-best-beef-stew-recipe/index.html?rsrc=search

Emeril put 2 cups of chopped collard greens in his stew.

I thought about putting chopped spinach in my beef stew yesterday.  I didn't, in case DH could identify it or taste it.  DH eats a plenty of things he doesn't like, but he doesn't know it.  For instance, I sometimes put parsnips and turnips in my stew, and he thinks they are potatoes (even though they are diced 1/2" or less).  He wouldn't touch a parsnip or a turnip with a 10-foot pole, ordinarily. OTOH, if I use oatmeal in meatloaf, he won't eat it because to him it looks like onions are in there.

So if you've ever added chopped greens to beef stew, does it add its own distinctive flavor to the stew, and is it all that noticeable in the gravy and among the other veg?

Thanks,

RC

Yeah, you couldn't hide greens and I'm not sure the flavor combination would be that good.   I do put spinach and other vegetables  into chicken or beef curries but they are not hidden; they do blend well so my family doesn't mind even though they don't like those on their own.

I haven't done so, but that recipe looks good, so I will be in the near future.  I have one that won't eat traditional southern style cooked greens, but he eats them in dishes like lentil soup and the such.  That said, he is 7 and I just point at the bowl and say eat it and we call it all spinach because he likes spinach in quiche so he thinks it is safe.  If it was a grown up, you might have a harder time with the just eat it routine.  I do think it would be obviously added because the color of the stew would be "off".

I do.  Kale, collard greens, spinach.  I guess I view both stews and soups as places to bulk up on the veggies (esp since I'm not a big salad fan...)  I also make it thick - I like thick soups and stews; not as big a fan of brothy ones.  I also add white beans to my beef stew.

We love greens in all kinds of stew!  I throw them in at the end for just a few minutes.  The whole family likes it and I have to admit I do it sometimes when I'm feeling too lazy to make a salad.  Stew=one pot meal w/beef, potato, carrots and greens.

I don't cut them superfine because I'm not trying to hide them.  I think I'd probably prefer getting a bite of greens, instead of having it spread throughout the stew, though, since I do like the taste of straight beef gravy.  Is there a particular green your family likes?  Maybe start with that one and add just a little at first, with full disclosure?  Then in time you can work up to more.  

Amy

I sometimes add a little kale, it tastes fine. Kale is very hearty and tastes good in rich stews.

Dh likes cabbage in stew but again I only add it sometimes. My stews tend to be different everytime depending on what is laying around. :lol:

I have added Brussels sprouts a few times, I happened to have some that needed to be used up on those occasions.

Chopped cabbage will look like onions, so if he doesn't do onions, I wouldn't try cabbage.

I do put finely chopped greens into soups and can't taste them at all.  Maybe I don't use enough to taste?

Pureed greens should be fine in beef stew, because it's brown already.  Usually, turning brown is what gives it away.  (with tomatoes, red & green make brown, also with strawberries in a smoothie)

No!!!!! Eeeewwwww!!!! LOL!!

I'm a Yankee. I live in the Deep, Deep, Deep South. DH loves greens. I think they're foul!

Save the Stew!!! Go Greens Elsewhere!! ;-)

I was born, raised and still live in the south.  There is nothing -- nothing -- I like any better than a big bowl of collard or turnip greens (cooked the correct southern way, of course ;)).

But greens don't belong in beef stew.  They just don't.

I don't think you could hide them, but I think greens in beef stew would be delicious!  Wish I had thought of that...

ETA:  I would only add spinach, however.  They have a milder flavor in soups/stews, I thinks.  Other greens would be too powerful or bitter.

I also make it thick - I like thick soups and stews; not as big a fan of brothy ones.  I also add white beans to my beef stew.

My stews are thick, too.  I love the idea of adding white beans to it.  I'll do that next time.  Thanks!

Nobody here eats greens (except salad greens).  I am from the South, and every time we had greens, my dad would make us eat a spoonful of them.  He was convinced we would learn to love them.  I never liked them, and sadly, neither did our dog. 

One of my favorite parts of cooking is watching fresh spinach leaves wilt.  I put frozen, chopped spinach in vegetarian lasagna, but I don't eat it -- no Italian sausage, which is the best part.

The beef stew I made yesterday has onions, carrots, parsnips, turnips, celery, peas, and corn in it.  I didn't have any fresh mushrooms or they would have been added in abundance.  I didn't put potatoes in it this time, because DH wanted to try it served over mashed potatoes.

I forgot all about adding tomatoes to it.  I wish I had. 

• 4 weeks later...

I never have, but it might be a good way to sneak some in.  For us, I'd probably do baby spinach, as it's mild.

it really is, and mild is the way to go as a start.  Any baby greens will work; collard, Russian kale, spinach. Some markets sell baby greens in open bins- an easy way to try it out.

What about cabbage, chopped fine -- has anyone tried that?

Yes. A very light and mild cabbage is nappa.  It's delicious. It's not dark green, so it might not be as objectionable.

Folks use nappa in a variety of ways:

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/809695/8-things-to-do-with-napa-cabbage

If folks can't bring themselves to ruin a beef stew with kale etc. lol, this soup might be more palatable:

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/on-hand-ingredients-recipes/white-bean--sausage-and-kale-stew