Menu

What Craft/Hobby Thing are you doing? Holiday Wrapup + New Year's goals...

PrincessMommy

sorry I went MIA on this thread.  Life got very busy leading up to Christmas and I forgot to start it last week.  I'll have a house full until the end of this week.

I know a lot of us were making things for the holidays... how did everyone do? 

I finished the 6 kitchen towels and gave 4 away to my adult married kids.  My oldest is moving into an apartment (been living with her in-laws for nearly 2yrs) in Feb.  She cannot wait.  Two went to her and her husband and the other 2 went to my newly married son and his wife.   About 3 weeks before Christmas my sis. mentioned that her teen daughter really wanted a scarf from me.  This motivated me to get those last three scarves off my other loom that were earmarked for my dd's school friends.  I was able to get another scarf done in less than a week.  It turned out really nice - probably the best I'd done in a while.  But, I didn't get a photo of it.  I'll be using that yarn again, since it turned out so nicely.

Goals for 2014

I'd really like to try and take some more weaving classes.  I'm not sure how I'll get to a live class but there's a recorded online class about color and weaving fabric for clothing.  Making clothing is a goal I've had for a long time, so I may load it onto my computer when things calm down here.

+I'm thinking that maybe now that the holidays are just about behind us we can start doing a monthly check-in instead of a weekly one.  What does everyone think?

The Christmas rush is over. I was frantically knitting away on ds2's socks on Christmas morning but didn't finish. I was able to finish them on Christmas day at least and got dh's and ds1's socks done on time. I had been thinking ds2 wasn't as knit-worthy as dh or ds1 but ds2 has been the one wearing his hand-knit socks the most, so I guess I was wrong.

I just finished a hat for myself (no pictures yet) and am currently knitting a hat for Halos of Hope. I plan to make a couple things for myself in the new year--socks and a shawlette. One of my goals is to knit up some of the things I've had in my Ravelry queue for awhile instead of knitting the newest hat pattern and letting the queue grow out of control.

I think a monthly check-in would be good.

AMDG

We lost our sewing teacher to a move in august. We had plans to continue via skype but she's an older lady and . . . It didn't work out. She was such a great teacher, though, that we're having a really hard time finding someone to replace her.

So, my goal for this year (January, really) is to find a great new sewing teacher!

I'm going to continue working on my knitting and try to make some socks.   

For two of the grand-babies birthdays in February  I'm making I love you to the moon and back pillows--hand embroidered.

I going to work on name blankets for all the kids.  

I have a quilt in the works this year.  

I'm going to continue working on my knitting and try to make some socks.

For two of the grand-babies birthdays in February I'm making I love you to the moon and back pillows--hand embroidered.

I going to work on name blankets for all the kids.

I have a quilt in the works this year.

AMDG

Oh, Tammy, I'd love to see your embroidery! Could you post a pic?

Now that all my cross stitching gifts are behind me...

First, I'm going to crochet this blanket as a way to relax my mind.

http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/1200x/ec/4e/ca/ec4eca19acd20b12a65714dc131ca647.jpg

Hopefully once that's finished I will feel up to tackling this quilt I promised to make for my son.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Dxi-7c9mrFg/T4WWelM-FiI/AAAAAAAAE3U/HgB4eGv0VhI/s640/PlaidHoundstooth4.jpg

I finished up my projects before christmas.

I got 2 twin sized rag quilts done for my grandsons.

Hopscotch mat (Pinterest) was a fun project.

AFghan for DIL

several dozen napkins for DDs.

Oh, I did so much more than that list the past few months, but how quickly I forget!

Now I am working thru some small balls of yarn and making crochet cowl scarves.  No brain work, which is what I do best.

I see some sewing classes in my future.  DIL has a new sewing machine and DD has a baby girl and both need some refresher classes that I can teach them.

Plus my DH got me a Babylock Serger that does cover stitch and so much more!  I am hoping to take some classes for myself.

I think I will be sewing  a prom dress in my near future as well.

I had a stressful finish to the Christmas crafting season.  I was working on 2 scarves for friends of the family coming in from out of town.  They are my FIL's generation (and truly his buddies) so we typically rely on him to find out when they are coming into town.  We asked for days, but assumed they would be in over Christmas day and so I had plenty of time to finish them both up as they were both a good percent finished.  Wednesday before Christmas we learn they are coming down on Thursday to see the more local set of kids (who still live over an hour away from us) and they are leaving for home early Saturday but they could see us for lunch on Thursday as they came into town.  Yeah, that was a late night, but I got them both done.  The matching hats just didn't happen. 

After that I was fairly spent, but I did a rush on Thursday to get a baby hat done that matched a grownup hat/scarf set that I already had done.  Then I made 3 cat snuggles for my parents using 3 yarns held together.  My main purpose for those was to use up some yarn that my mom had donated to her that feels like it is from the 80's.  Definitely not soft enough for human use these days. 

Then I went to Joann's to pet the yarn (that rough stuff and the urgency to get everything done on time was not inspiring me to continue my craft) and ended up walking out of there with this sock loom which is officially for my oldest twin who really wants to do crochet but isn't coordinated enough.  He loved it all of a few hours before he got board and wanted to turn his practice scarf into a bracelet.  We didn't know enough about looming to realize you needed a much narrower board to make the double sided scarves we kept seeing tutorials on so it took watching several tutorials and doing exactly what they said and coming out with this horrible ball of mess before I researched more.  Then we just did in in the round.  His little thing ended up turning into 1 of 3 cat toys for my sister's cats.  I had to do the other two.  I liked using it enough that I rushed out and bought myself this gigantic one with my Christmas money and I am currently working on a double sided scarf.  It definitely takes longer than crocheting one, but I like how it is turning out.  I am probably going to end up harvesting the bolts and spacers off of this one to use on the sock loom though as it is bulky.

My goals for this year is to donate hats, baby blankets, throws, and scarves so thanks for the link up thread.  If anyone knows of different organizations that take each, those would be great.  I am sure we have a cancer center here, but in the deep south not too many days call for scarves.

Well I failed to post photos but am happy to report that I did complete all of my Christmas projects.  The toy car mat that I made for a grand nephew was well received.  This is the second one I have made from an Etsy pattern (with excellent, detailed instructions I will note).  Here is the photo from the pattern creator's Etsy site:

My son's girlfriend arrived Saturday from Britain.  She was thrilled to receive another pair of handknitted socks from me (and apparently had hoped that these would be under the tree).  On the needles now is the 221-B hat.

Goals: work on tailoring skills which will include pattern altering.  In the months ahead I want to sew a lined wool skirt to have an example for any of the 4-Hers who are thinking about entering the Make it With Wool contest in the fall.  I also want to work with some of the 4-Hers on incrementally improving their skills.  The sewing workshops that our county has had the last few years have been a hodge podge of basic sewing.  There are girls who need to move on!

I think a monthly check in thread is a great idea.  We can bump to post progress or an interesting link.

I'm not crafting this week, instead I'm organizing my quilting materials. They have been in the dining room/school room since I started quilting back in July. I am repurposing a wall in the office I share with my dh since I don't work at my desk in there. I've been sorting fabric, trimming scraps and wrapping yardage onto bolts for a few days now. I ordered bookcases that will arrive on Friday, so before then, I have to finish organizing the fabric & clean off the junk that has piled onto the desk so that I can take it apart & store it. 

Hopefully all will be finished before the end of next weekend. 

I'm not crafting this week, instead I'm organizing my quilting materials. They have been in the dining room/school room since I started quilting back in July. I am repurposing a wall in the office I share with my dh since I don't work at my desk in there. I've been sorting fabric, trimming scraps and wrapping yardage onto bolts for a few days now. I ordered bookcases that will arrive on Friday, so before then, I have to finish organizing the fabric & clean off the junk that has piled onto the desk so that I can take it apart & store it. 

Hopefully all will be finished before the end of next weekend. 

Want to come over to my place and organize me next?

I made both my mother and sister knitted head bands (attached to those thick elastic hair bands to give them some stretch).   They both seemed to like it.   My sister wears these types of things all the time.   My mom only does to keep her ears warm, so I made hers wide in the area of ears.    So I'm planning on making my sister several over the next year.  

I received some beautiful yarn for Christmas.    Since it was a gift, I think I should use it on myself.   So I'm making fingerless gloves.   One is knitted and the second one started.   I'll have a fair amount of yarn left over.   I think I'll make one SIL some fingerless gloves also.    

I need to make my Step MIL a scarf or something for next Christmas.

That's all. 

I have to go to JoAnn's this morning. (Pray that I come out alive.) I need to do a costume-making workshop for my bellydance students, so I have to put together the example and compile a realistic supplies list before I can set a date for the workshop. I haven't actually made a costume like this before, so I need to streamline the process before I attempt it with people who need instructions to sew on a button.

AMDG

Oh, Tammy, I'd love to see your embroidery! Could you post a pic?

My stuff is still packed up but here are two projects I'm working on.  I'll post my pics when I'm done.   This will give you an idea.

http://teachinggoodthings.com/blog/hand-embroidery-pillow/

and 

http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/i-love-you-to-the-moon-and-back-pillow/24220

new years goals are to set up my new serger that I got for xmas this year and to set up my new sewing/embroidery machine that I got for xmas last year and just took out of the box a few weeks ago LOL both are just sitting on a table with all of their accessories and instruction booklets around themI really want to sew something and learn to sew by patterns.....  

My goals for 2014 include finishing the quilt I began for my dd in 2013.  I have some nativity costumes that I would like to make sometime in the coming 12 months.  I'd also like to teach my dd to sew - I have a pattern for a simple skirt, and I need to take her out fabric-shopping.  And I need to make some more baby bibs and kids' aprons, to clear out my stash of half-finished supplies for them.

I love everyone's projects and plans! What fun! It is so nice to share with each other. 

I hope to do more needlepoint. I renewed membership in three guilds so I could participate in one of each guild's planned workshops for 2014. I have my Halloween needlepoint to pick up again. If I do one section a month, I think I can finish it by next Halloween. 

I hope to make more Christmas ornaments for gifts. I have a couple of cross stitch ones and a few needlepoint ones. The hardest part for me is finishing the ornament, meaning making the stitching into the actual ornament instead of paying someone to do it. I have to make the twisted cord, cut the mat board, etc. I found some nice batting that will work well with making padded ornaments. 

I'm still knitting. I hope to dust off the sewing machine. I still take my 8 year old to knitting and I signed her up for a sewing class at Joanne's Fabrics. If she likes it, I will find a class that runs over several weeks at a local sewing store for her. 

Just as a side note, my daughter received a headband kit and a weaving kit for bracelets during 2013. She finished both kits. I gave her a latch hook kit I had in a drawer. She is working on that. I gave in and ordered her a Rainbow Loom kit. I'm not a fan of the kit as she can knit and crochet bracelets with her own stitch patterns. But she really wanted one, so she is getting that for Epiphany. 

Whatever you are planning, enjoy your crafts! 

It's okay, I think we all got overwhelmed with Christmas!

I finished Sylvia's fingerless gloves at last (ran out of yarn and got another skein Saturday).  I just need to weave in ends.  I was thinking of making a matching headband; I pinned a cute pattern recently.

I've made a lot of progress on my Clapotis.  It takes 4 skeins of yarn and I'm on my second.

Not sure if it's a craft, per se, but I'm making a road case to haul riser parts for DW's choir.  Has to be done by the super bowl gig (brag, yeah, I know).  It'll look like this one, but skinnier:

W040-W048_truckpak_lg.jpg

It could fall under "hobbies" though.  Are you making the box too and just attaching the wheels or making the whole thing?

It could fall under "hobbies" though. Are you making the box too and just attaching the wheels or making the whole thing?

From scratch. I have plain plywood in the garage, black plastic to laminate onto the wood, hinges, latches, wheels, all the metal edging (yet to be cut down from 6' lengths) and a whole bunch o' rivets.

At the moment I'm playing around swatching yarn to start a sweater.  The other day I entered a bunch of my books and magazines into my Ravelry library, so I can now actually see what patterns I own.   I've also found some yarn that I never listed in stash on Ravelry.  So I'm trying to match up yarn I already own with patterns I already own -- what a concept! 

I'm also slowly catching up on blogging about what I've done lately, entering projects on Ravelry, and entering projects on patternreview.com.  We've been too busy lately, followed by being very sick.

Future plans include more organization, particularly the sewing patterns.  I'm thinking about entering all of them into the patternreview.com stash list -- I dearly wish I could enter which issues I have of Burda and Ottobre, and it would figure out for me which patterns I therefor have, like Ravelry does with magazines -- I have a feeling, though, that's not gonna happen.

Also, much organization and using-up of fabric stash needs to occur.  It's downright scary right now.

My son's girlfriend arrived Saturday from Britain.  She was thrilled to receive another pair of handknitted socks from me (and apparently had hoped that these would be under the tree).  On the needles now is the 221-B hat.

QUICK!  You need that hat by tomorrow!

I got some 221B fabric from Spoonflower and made infinity scarves for my daughters.  The younger one is wearing hers right now, already starting to gear up.

From scratch. I have plain plywood in the garage, black plastic to laminate onto the wood, hinges, latches, wheels, all the metal edging (yet to be cut down from 6' lengths) and a whole bunch o' rivets.

Please post a picture here when you are done. It sounds neat!

I just posted Looking Ahead in 2014 on my blog.

I took my 8yo son to the quilt store a few days ago, and we picked out some fabric for his North Woods quilt.  There is a sketch of it in the above post a little way down.  I decided to design it myself, because I couldn't find a pattern that I liked everything about.  I was inspired by a few quilts I saw, and I put everything together into a drawing.  It could take awhile, but it should be fun.  ;)

I feel like I have crafting ADD going on.  I have another scarf on the knitting loom, I am making some baby hats for donation on a round knitting loom (shh, don't tell my mom as my boys are supposed to be making these), and I just pulled out all the stitches I had done for a baby blanket I didn't like how it was turning out.  The blanket still needs to be made, but I want a different pattern.

I feel like I have crafting ADD going on.  I have another scarf on the knitting loom, I am making some baby hats for donation on a round knitting loom (shh, don't tell my mom as my boys are supposed to be making these), and I just pulled out all the stitches I had done for a baby blanket I didn't like how it was turning out.  The blanket still needs to be made, but I want a different pattern.

LOL!  I know what you mean.  I only have one fiber hobby but I still get antsy when I'm half-way done and start distracting myself with future projects.  I think the reason it takes me so long to finish one project is because I'm always distracted by the "pretty, shiny" of the next project.

I'm working on a super-simple quilt for baby boy.  It has http://www.joann.com/novelty-quilt-fabric-happy-whale-navy/12037347.html'>this whale fabric and solid yellow, alternating 8" squares, on the top.  The back will be a light blue.  I finished up the top last night and will machine quilt it next weekend, I hope.

I'm also working on a Settlers of Catan quilt, which I expect to take me forever, give or take a day. ;)  I'm doing that one entirely by hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this to see if anyone has started thinking about Valentine's Day.  I need to make cards but have given some thought to making quilted hearts or some sort of knitted toy for the grand nieces/nephews.

Please share your brilliant ideas!

At the moment I am making some small notebooks. I have another pair of socks on the knitting needles--just a plain sock with superwash wool. I had started an alpaca sock for my son who told me that he really prefers plain socks of superwash wool.  His feet sweat too much in the alpaca socks that I made for him!

I pulled out some shirt patterns this morning and will go through my stash later to see if the stars are aligned.

Jane

I need to pick out the waistband of a pair of pajama pants and tighten them. I've already tightened the other pair. Note to self: next year, wait and anchor the elastic AFTER the kids have tried them on. There are few things I hate more than picking out seams.

I have an apron to finish and then I think I'm going to put my machines away for a while. The only real place for them is my bedroom and the clutter is driving me batty.

I have been making hats and scarves on the knitting looms.  I have 3 scarf and hat sets finished and quite a few baby hats done.  I gave the first batch of baby hats to my mom and hope to have another couple to add before the end of the month when they will take them to the local hospital.

Bumping this to see if anyone has started thinking about Valentine's Day. 

I'm not a big Valentine's Day fan, but I was thinking of crocheting a few heart shaped coasters. I recently finished the crochet project pictured, and am now working on some slippers. Sorry I can't seem to make the photo smaller.

I also want to do a sewing project or two. Ds wants me to make pajamas, and I want to make a few skirts for myself.

ETA: I made mine in charcoal, not orange. I wanted one that would go with nearly everything.

J27_0008_03C.jpg

working on something for myself (hopefully for myself as long as I don't end up donating it) I am making an afghan. I am crocheting it, really simple 183 chain and double stitches. It's a big project but I hope it will keep me busy for a few weeks. 

I like big but simple projects like that. If I don't have to constantly look at instructions, I can watch tv or carry on a conversation while keeping my hands busy.

I'm not a big Valentine's Day fan, but I was thinking of crocheting a few heart shaped coasters. I recently finished the crochet project pictured, and am now working on some slippers. Sorry I can't seem to make the photo smaller.

I also want to do a sewing project or two. Ds wants me to make pajamas, and I want to make a few skirts for myself.

ETA: I made mine in charcoal, not orange. I wanted one that would go with nearly everything.

J27_0008_03C.jpg

That is beautiful.. I bet the charcoal is perfect.

I just posted Looking Ahead in 2014 on my blog.

I took my 8yo son to the quilt store a few days ago, and we picked out some fabric for his North Woods quilt.  There is a sketch of it in the above post a little way down.  I decided to design it myself, because I couldn't find a pattern that I liked everything about.  I was inspired by a few quilts I saw, and I put everything together into a drawing.  It could take awhile, but it should be fun.  ;)

I wanted to share an update on my son's quilt project.  I'm posting about my progress as I complete sections.  Here's the first post  Fabric Art: North Woods Quilt Quest.  You're welcome to follow along as I go.  I'm hoping to stay motivated. 

Bumping this to see if anyone has started thinking about Valentine's Day.  I need to make cards but have given some thought to making quilted hearts or some sort of knitted toy for the grand nieces/nephews.

I don't do V-Day stuff but some of the little heart patterns on Ravelry are cute: Hearts, felted Little Hearts, crochet Hearts, more crochet . Bookmark (but you could easily apply the concept to a knit pattern).

Hello everyone.

Sorry that I am not supplying photos but I will give links.

It has been a productive sewing week for me.  I made a blouse from vintage fabric purchased from a charity shop using a Kwik Sew pattern which also came from a charity shop.  The buttons on it were part of a vintage stash that my husband picked up for me at a yard sale.  (Feeling self-righteously sustainable at the moment.  :D )

Additionally I made a Monk's Bag (tutorial from the Purl Bee website) again using fabrics gleaned from charity shops. 

I also made a darling ear buds case using a tutorial from Dog Under my Desk.  I did the circular case first; next up is the heart-shaped one, in time for Valentine's Day.

While over at the Purl Bee site, I saw a felt heart charm post that might inspire someone.  Enjoy!