Menu

First trip to the ER tonight

GSOchristie

My seven year old and one of his friends were playing king of the hill on one of those electrical boxes.  His friend reached over and shoved him off backwards and some metal piece sliced his pants and cut his scrotum open.  Yes, he ran to me screaming hysterically and when he pulled down his pants I saw part of his testicle  :svengo: .  I nearly passed out, I do NOT do well with blood, which was everywhere.  I rushed him to the pediatrician, who sent me to the ER after examining him.  They were going to put stitches in, but he would have to have been put under general anesthesia, so they got steri strips and glue to hold it together.  This all went down 2 hours before we were supposed to host a Polar Express party for 35 people at our house.  So I'm at the ER trying to cancel the party so everyone knows not to show up at my house, I have all three of my kids in the ER where people are barfing and coughing their heads off...and my MIL arrived at my house while I was at the ER, so my house definitely wasn't clean to her standards.  I'm tired, so very, very tired.  

And my four year old sobbed the whole time we were at the ER because the party was cancelled, he would forget, then remember and the tears would flow.  

I'm sorry to hear of all that happened today and I hope your son heals quickly but this made me laugh so hard!!!!  I have a 3 and a half year old and the entire drive home today from my parents' house she would start crying when the radio station had a commercial break because she really tired and convinced it was my fault the Christmas music wasn't on.

I feel bad for him looking back at the experience, I couldn't even be all there for him because I had to keep comforting the sobbing Jackson.  Sometimes I think it's better to space your kids out so they can have more attention.  Obviously this is not a helpful thought for me since I had all three of mine in four years and there is no going back and changing it.  I feel like I should have been able to hold him and comfort him while the doctor was fixing him, but I was running crowd control with my other two who were making snow angel motions on the ER floor  :ack2: .  

don't beat yourself up over that.  you got him the care he needed and now that you are home in your element you can give him the extra attention he needs while he heals.  And spoil him a little just to make him feel better

I feel bad for him looking back at the experience, I couldn't even be all there for him because I had to keep comforting the sobbing Jackson.  Sometimes I think it's better to space your kids out so they can have more attention.  Obviously this is not a helpful thought for me since I had all three of mine in four years and there is no going back and changing it.  I feel like I should have been able to hold him and comfort him while the doctor was fixing him, but I was running crowd control with my other two who were making snow angel motions on the ER floor  :ack2: .  

Strangely, he didn't act like he was in that much pain after the initial incident.  In fact, when we were at the pediatrician, he jumped off the table after the exam, the doctor said, "whoa, I think you'll be fine if you can do that!"  He said it hurt when they sterilized it before putting the steri strips on, but not enough to cry.  He jumped out of the car and ran in the house when we got home.  He is one tough cookie!  I think it's going to hurt tomorrow, it always seems worse on the second day when I am wounded.  He will be getting lots of extra loving, especially since his grandma is here :).